Is Race A Myth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an article by Pastor Thabiti Anyibwile that explained that there is no biological basis for race. There are ethnicities and nationalities but race is just a made up concept based on the theory of evolution and Christians should reject it.

I can't find the article anymore but it definitely stuck with me. In this thread, I want discussion but I mainly want to have a place to gather information to answer certain questions:

Where did the current categories of race used in western society like Caucasion, Asian, etc even come from?

Does the Bible acknowledge race the same way we think of it today?

Have we made race more important than it is? What would happen if we stopped acknowledging it? Is that practical?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Wikipedia's article on race:

The modern concept of race emerged as a product of the colonial enterprises of European powers from the 16th to 18th centuries which identified race in terms of skin color and physical differences.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of Course Christians should reject race. All those in Christ will live together for eternity and we were created by God. Shouldn't we reject anything contrary to our Father's creation?

Galatians 3:27-29 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Colossians 3:10-12- and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of Course Christians should reject race. All those in Christ will live together for eternity and we were created by God. Shouldn't we reject anything contrary to our Father's creation?

Galatians 3:27-29 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Colossians 3:10-12- and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.
I was about to ask what that would look like if Christians rejected race.

But I think it would likely look like the early Church: people of different ethnicities and classes taking care of each other's needs, sharing communion, and behaving like family. It was an incredible witness to the world.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was an article by Pastor Thabiti Anyibwile that explained that there is no biological basis for race. There are ethnicities and nationalities but race is just a made up concept based on the theory of evolution and Christians should reject it.

I can't find the article anymore but it definitely stuck with me. In this thread, I want discussion but I mainly want to have a place to gather information to answer certain questions:

Where did the current categories of race used in western society like Caucasion, Asian, etc even come from?

Have we made race more important than it is? What would happen if we stopped acknowledging it? Is that practical?

We humans are reflective of a kind of spiritual diversity. We are not all the same, yet we are “of a kind” and as such we are all of one race— the human race.

Reactions: amadeus

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We humans are reflective of a kind of spiritual diversity. We are not all the same, yet we are “of a kind” and as such we are all of one race— the human race.
I used to be a bit dismissive of people saying "there's only one race---the human race". Like, oh that's a nice thought but then why are people so touchy about it? How come I'm never allowed to completely forget about modern race issues?

But it's exactly true. I don't subscribe to the world's view on almost anything else. Race is nothing more than a socially accepted myth. It's just taken a while for my mind to be completely renewed on the subject.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be a bit dismissive of people saying "there's only one race---the human race". Like, oh that's a nice thought but then why are people so touchy about it? How come I'm never allowed to completely forget about modern race issues?

But it's exactly true. I don't subscribe to the world's view on almost anything else. Race is nothing more than a socially accepted myth. It's just taken a while for my mind to be completely renewed on the subject.

Pigments aside, peel the skin off and we are the same you and I. I could transfuse my lifeblood into you with no ill effect. Heck, it might put a spring in your step.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Human Race and the division of races is of this world. Those chosen by God are not of this world. We are God's chosen people and are colorblind to the society of the world, which we do not belong to. God said that life is in the blood, not on the outside. We are to walk by Faith and Spirit, not by sight.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dear Wynona,
There is only one race; the human race. However, there are many cultures and those cultures were created by God when He confused the languages at the Tower of Babel. Because of the language barrier, the people had to segregate into common language groups. The groups, in turn, quickly spread out over the globe and created their own particular culture.
Joe

Reactions: Wynona

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

We are of one race....the human race. Within that race there is room for much diversity.....red hair, black hair, smooth skin, hairy skin, fat, thin, tall, short, eye shapes, nose shapes and sizes....the list goes on. We are all from the seed of Adam......and if we push the boundary closer, from the seed of Noah and his Sons.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

if we're discussing from a Christian point of view, it is absolutely critical that we put a premium on Truth in all our considerations. that means that we must be honest about the things that are absolutely undeniable.
From Wikipedia's article on race:

The modern concept of race emerged as a product of the colonial enterprises of European powers from the 16th to 18th centuries which identified race in terms of skin color and physical differences.
this is a perfect 'for instance.'

do you honestly believe that the only difference between ethnicities is skin color and minor physical differences of facial appearance?

whether it came from Wiki or not, I'm sincerely asking you if that's what you believe.

please be honest.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Etymology of the Word Caucasian

Apparently in 1795, a German anthropologist named Johann Friedrich Blumenbach came up with five races that included the term Caucasian.
the article you posted even states that it was in relation to the origin of those people being from the Caucasus mountains.

so it wasn't just coined by some German in 1795.

just want to make that clear to all readers as it is significant to the discussion.

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that's highly debatable.
Have we made race more important than it is?
actually, we've diminished its significance greatly in some ways and exalted its importance in others.

I'd say which is which has largely depended on politics.

there is an amazing woman author by the name of Zora Neale Hurston who lived in the 50's/60's that had the most unique views on all topics concerning race. she was very self-confident and very brave to speak out about her beliefs and political views on race in a time when it was just beginning to be popular to speak negatively about race in America.
What would happen if we stopped acknowledging it?
we are working on that very event now and it is not boding well for the various cultures of the world.
Is that practical?
no, but since when does that matter?

the world does whatever it is told by the influencers, trendsetters and those who own and run all media the world over.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do you honestly believe that the only difference between ethnicities is skin color and minor physical differences of facial appearance?

whether it came from Wiki or not, I'm sincerely asking you if that's what you believe.

please be honest.

No. Ethnicities have different cultures. But races? Just minor physical differences and thats it.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Race ? Yes their are clearly Races. and they should be respected as such ?
In Africa each Tribe can tell who the other Race is, i am talking about Africans blacks being different races truly African ? nothing imported !
In Asia they know who each Race of Asian is by just looking at them as well, bar for some mixed Asians ? Nothing imported regarding this issue mind.

I was working for a China person once and she said what she was regarding the 3 races of China, she thought that i was as ignorant of such Races in China, but i said yes i know their are 3 different types in China, because i had a book that explained the areas that such inhabited etc etc. I had to repeat this, for she though all Australians were ignorant ? or they are just shallow due to media educated dupes that only follows along with one main work of mind control, so people never get educated but are only indoctrinated ?

She said that her race of China was clearly the most evolved of the 3 ? and that the other 2 were not at evolved to their level ? She made a point of this, being that she did not want to be seen as in that class by Europeans ?
She was not that under class ? or seen as a monkey as they say ?

Same in African Tribes as they clearly despise other Tribes within for good reason they say ? Some of the Tribes are good nice people but some tribes have a very nasty way with the other African blacks and they have been that way before the Europeans came.

I worked with 2 blokes who were as black as they come and both born in Africa but were half Indian and Negro but Christians and such great blokes, they would point out the truth about the reality's in Africa, with no agenda ! it was not what the media peddles but reality and Just the facts of the reality's within. They could not go into areas full of Negros or they could be killed ! then they pointed out the issue with the white ruling class.

So why the differences ? why can we all not get on ! well, it's the same deal regardless of Race ! even some families fight and have trouble makers ? how does one stop even that ? Well there is an Answer ! Christ Jesus is the only way to truly become one in fact ! One of Gods People !

Look at all the trouble between the white Nations, who causes or did cause all such strife ? well it was all the workings of the Devil ! for they did not abide in Christ Jesus first and foremost in their lives.

The majority of people can so easy be lead astray by the Government in fact ! They paint a picture and the Godless whore media back them up.
It's about dominating position and money, for they sell peoples lives cheaply ! and sell people out at the drop of a hat with no regard, it happens all the time in business everyday because it's a jungle out their in fact, so one has to watch where you step ? or you may get stung ! Now how to deal with such is to be in Christ Jesus and when we all are, that's the Key ! no more deceptions for you are not under delusions ! The enemy works on your weaknesses.
One needs a grounded education and not indoctrination, for indoctrination is not an education.

Then we look at the scamming dogs who claim to be something that they clearly are not in fact ? Like in Australia a aboriginal is a full blood in fact and a half cast is not an aboriginal at all in fact but of both tribes ? clear difference in fact ! but we have morons claiming to be an Abo but are only 5% Abo this does not stop them from claiming they are a Abo ? not to mention such as this go about lording it over the 100% Aboriginals ! Totally dominating over the true people ! and the average Aussie is way to shallow to call the Media out on all this BS. for out comes the Nazi like dictating moronic stand over tactics so as too shut people up ! The real issue is avoided at all cost and you are bombarded with everything but !

Reactions: amadeus

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Race ? Yes their are clearly Races. and they should be respected as such ?
In Africa each Tribe can tell who the other Race is, i am talking about Africans blacks being different races truly African ? nothing imported !
In Asia they know who each Race of Asian is by just looking at them as well, bar for some mixed Asians ? Nothing imported regarding this issue mind.

I was working for a China person once and she said what she was regarding the 3 races of China, she thought that i was as ignorant of such Races in China, but i said yes i know their are 3 different types in China, because i had a book that explained the areas that such inhabited etc etc. I had to repeat this, for she though all Australians were ignorant ? or they are just shallow due to media educated dupes that only follows along with one main work of mind control, so people never get educated but are only indoctrinated ?

She said that her race of China was clearly the most evolved of the 3 ? and that the other 2 were not at evolved to their level ? She made a point of this, being that she did not want to be seen as in that class by Europeans ?
She was not that under class ? or seen as a monkey as they say ?

Same in African Tribes as they clearly despise other Tribes within for good reason they say ? Some of the Tribes are good nice people but some tribes have a very nasty way with the other African blacks and they have been that way before the Europeans came.

I worked with 2 blokes who were as black as they come and both born in Africa but were half Indian and Negro but Christians and such great blokes, they would point out the truth about the reality's in Africa, with no agenda ! it was not what the media peddles but reality and Just the facts of the reality's within. They could not go into areas full of Negros or they could be killed ! then they pointed out the issue with the white ruling class.

So why the differences ? why can we all not get on ! well, it's the same deal regardless of Race ! even some families fight and have trouble makers ? how does one stop even that ? Well there is an Answer ! Christ Jesus is the only way to truly become one in fact ! One of Gods People !

Look at all the trouble between the white Nations, who causes or did cause all such strife ? well it was all the workings of the Devil ! for they did not abide in Christ Jesus first and foremost in their lives.

The majority of people can so easy be lead astray by the Government in fact ! They paint a picture and the Godless whore media back them up.
It's about dominating position and money, for they sell peoples lives cheaply ! and sell people out at the drop of a hat with no regard, it happens all the time in business everyday because it's a jungle out their in fact, so one has to watch where you step ? or you may get stung ! Now how to deal with such is to be in Christ Jesus and when we all are, that's the Key ! no more deceptions for you are not under delusions ! The enemy works on your weaknesses.
One needs a grounded education and not indoctrination, for indoctrination is not an education.

Then we look at the scamming dogs who claim to be something that they clearly are not in fact ? Like in Australia a aboriginal is a full blood in fact and a half cast is not an aboriginal at all in fact but of both tribes ? clear difference in fact ! but we have morons claiming to be an Abo but are only 5% Abo this does not stop them from claiming they are a Abo ? not to mention such as this go about lording it over the 100% Aboriginals ! Totally dominating over the true people ! and the average Aussie is way to shallow to call the Media out on all this BS. for out comes the Nazi like dictating moronic stand over tactics so as too shut people up ! The real issue is avoided at all cost and you are bombarded with everything but !
I'm not sure what you mean by race in this post.

China is a country. Chinese is a nationality. Yes, there are different ethnicities and cultures in China.

African tribes are different from each other, I agree. But are the tribes different races? If so, how do you define race?

I should be clear, I think there are very real differences in ethnicities and cultures. But race is not based in biology or anything concrete. I think it's a widespread myth.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is coming soon. All these dividers are going to find out real quick who Jesus is, and race is a false flag to feel superior over others.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was about to ask what that would look like if Christians rejected race.
I would have thought that there would be no racism among Christians but that's likely a naïve view. Just at present our country is celebrating the 'Windrush generation' - those people from Jamaica who came here after and helped rebuild our war-torn country. They experienced hatred but carried on and integrated into our society but still there are people who are racist. It rears its ugly head in sport - particularly football - but it seems to me the more it is talked about the worse it gets. People are people whatever race or colour and it is shameful that there are still those who can't accept our differences. My mum taught me that everybody was the same on the inside.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
races? Just minor physical differences and thats it.
well, we find much more than that when we look at all the facts.

it is actually debatable that we all came from Adam and Eve as there are multiple blood lines listed in the Bible and there are more than one instance in scripture that describe God creating mankind.

regardless of that, and even if one rejects that possibility entirely, the races have then evolved to a significant difference, beyond just appearances.

some races are much more prone to certain diseases which proves a substantial difference in genetics and DNA.

there have been many scientific studies that have proven that IQ is significantly different among the races with East Asians having the highest scores.

nobody can deny that some races completely dominate sports and Asians dominate tech and computer programming jobs; these are highly observable and easily provable facts of our world and are historically known without any debate.

people from different areas of the world are very different and have developed very different cultures - it is an absolute travesty to say "Let's just mix em all up and wipe away all the intrinsic uniqueness of all races and just make all people into one mixed hybrid race, eliminating all culture and traits of all peoples."

yes, that is the direction we're already headed and it is a tragedy and a crime upon humanity.

just as much as it would be if we were to eliminate all the uniqueness of animals and create a super-mixed hybrid species that wiped out all the differences of all species completely.

if God wanted that, He would not have had Noah bring couples of each kind onto the Ark, He would've simply directed him to begin mixing all the species into one and had him simply bring two of that mixed hybrid animal. no need for such a large boat and no need for so much provision.