Is Satan an angel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Other than the reality of the Godhead, existence is divided into two realms: vertical and horizontal. The horizontal realm is physical and measurable. Vertical is the rest.

Angels are beings existing in the vertical realm.

Satan is not a physical being. By these definitions, he is an angel.

See also Was Satan a cherub?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Yes, he is a Heavenly being/Angel, just like the Beasts of Daniel 7 but many cannot comprehend this fact.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other than the reality of the Godhead, existence is divided into two realms: vertical and horizontal. The horizontal realm is physical and measurable. Vertical is the rest.

I think I would define an angel as someone who has repented their sin. I don't think Satan qualifies. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been an angel at an earlier time.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Satan was a high form of angel, a cherub. Ezekiel 28:13-16 (WEB):

(13) You were in Eden, the garden of God. Every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz, emerald, chrysolite, onyx, jasper, sapphire, turquoise, and beryl. Gold work of tambourines and of pipes was in you. They were prepared in the day that you were created.​
(14) You were the anointed cherub who covers. Then I set you up on the holy mountain of God. You have walked up and down in the middle of the stones of fire.​
(15) You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, until unrighteousness was found in you.​
(16) By the abundance of your commerce, your insides were filled with violence, and you have sinned. Therefore I have cast you as profane out of God’s mountain. I have destroyed you, covering cherub, from the middle of the stones of fire.​

Angels are described as being sons of God, and Satan as one of them. Job 2:1 (WEB):

(1) Again, on the day when the God’s sons came to present themselves before Yahweh, Satan came also among them to present himself before Yahweh.​

Reactions: Cassandra

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would define an angel as someone who has repented their sin. I don't think Satan qualifies. That doesn't mean he couldn't have been an angel at an earlier time.
What nature you have has got nothing to do with repenting of sin. Is a human not a human unless he repents of sin? Was God not God before he repented? Exodus 32:14 (WEB):

(14) Yahweh repented of the evil which he said he would do to his people.​

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What nature you have has got nothing to do with repenting of sin. Is a human not a human unless he repents of sin? Was God not God before he repented? Exodus 32:14 (WEB):

(14) Yahweh repented of the evil which he said he would do to his people.​
You can classify humans - some are lawyers, some are not.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Satan was not an angel but a cherub. You wrongly identify Satan /Lucifer as the prince of Tyre when in reality He was titled the king of Tyre in Ez. 28::14

In the realm of spirit beings God created there is an order which follows;

Cherubs, Seraphs, then angels. Satan was the anointed cherub or the highest created thing. This is why MIchael, when arguing over Moses body would not rail against Satan, for Michael is an inferior spirit being.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You can classify humans - some are lawyers, some are not.
So what? Lawyers are still human. A man remains a man when he changes his job; he doesn't change into a fish or any other kind of being. Use common sense!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have to ask myself these questions:

Is satan the spirit(messenger) of error? Considering how everything went crooked when he brought a message to Adam and Eve in the garden… one we still discuss today when he asked “has God said?” I would say yes satan is a messenger(bringer, deliverer) of error.

Is satan a messenger of sin unto death and not of obedience unto righteousness? Considering Jesus Christ who said he himself was not the messenger of sin unto death, but come from the Father with the good news of obedience unto righteousness…it appears satan is the angel (messenger) of another message. What comes out of the dragons mouth, spoken: lies, deceits to kill, steal and destroy. It makes me think of a thief who comes by night as in the parable of the tares where the question is asked “who planted these tares while men slept?”

Not forgetting: Luke 4:3-9 And the devil said unto him, If You be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. [4] And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. [5] And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, showed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. [6] And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. [7] If You therefore will worship me, all shall be Yours. 8] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get you behind me, Satan: for it is written, You shall worship the Lord thy God, and him only shall you serve. [9] And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If You be the Son of God, cast Yourself down from here…

Is satan the spirit (messenger) of fear unto bondage again? Is satan not of a sound mind, not of power, and not of Love. “Knowing his time is short.” It seems so …the motive speaks for itself.

Lastly, does satan and his messengers transform themselves into light…claiming Liberty while leading men into the bondage of death and destruction?

Is satan an angel? Depends on the image. personally I don’t think satan is a mythical being with unfolding wings, hoofs, and horns as illustrated often. One with claws that can rip a man to shreds. I doubt the illustrations of men …which paint or draw a very different picture than what the word warns of satan which is, that satan was beautiful and desirable to look upon. The most beautiful. But on the inside…what was hidden within is another story.

how odd Jesus Christ was not something men desired, nothing that was easy on the eyes. Despised and rejected of men. A man of sorrows, loved of God and yet we despised him and hid ourselves from Him. Is satan a messenger? satan is definitely a messenger and the message is not good news. Like with his encounter with Eve and Adam in the garden where the message got all twisted and crooked, as crooked as coiled a snake ready to strike.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is there no clear definition of an angel presented in the Scriptures?

You know what "entertaining angels unaware" really means right, like probably entertaining a thought or whatever?

@bbyrd009 asked Can you recall any Scripture that's contradicting?

I would guess that the answer, in part at least, lies in the understanding of who or what is an angel.

There are many messengers, but are they all sent by God...? Of those sent by God, are not some sent with a left-handed message rather than a right-handed one? Are the messengers sent all of heavenly type [not presently and perhaps never human?] or were not many [but not all] of them quite as human as we are?

Could we think of the angel, Gabriel, as a "heavenly" type:

"And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man.
And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision." Dan 8:15-16

"And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to show thee these glad tidings." Luke 1:19

But we see that the same Greek word translated in Luke 1:19 as "angel" is translated as "messenger" referring to John the Baptist in Matthew 11:

a[ggeloß Aggelos (ang'-el-os);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Masculine, Strong #: 32

1. a messenger, envoy, one who is sent, an angel, a messenger from God
"But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.

For this is he [speaking of John the Baptist], of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee" Matt 11:9-10

So who is a messenger or angel sent by God? Could it our preacher or our pastor or our minister? Could it be you or me to whom God has given a message to deliver to one or to many... or even as @bbyrd009 suggests... to ourselves?

Who are we "entertaining"? What kind of a job are we doing? Are we "good" entertainers or...?

"And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."Matt 25:33-46

How many angels are attending us at our tomb...? Are our angels [assuming that we have some] have a right-handed purpose rather than a left-handed one? Do we see him [the angel] or them simply as disconnected gardeners? [Are we "unaware" of who they really are? Do we care?] Of course we may believe [deluded?] that we are not really dead at all? Are we correct?

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Have you met any angels?
Again, that's totally irrelevant to whether or not an angel is "someone who has repented their sin", as you stated in post #3. Are you claiming to be an angel?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Angel is defined as a spirit for the most part. There are angels of God and angels of Satan. Two forces at war. Nothing new. But I don't follow that Satan is decorated by God. He is an angel or spirit of darkness.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, that's totally irrelevant to whether or not an angel is "someone who has repented their sin", as you stated in post #3. Are you claiming to be an angel?
My point was: Have you ever seen an angel so you can tell us what an angel is?

As for me being an angel, my suspicion is that we become angels when we repent of all our sin. I'm not there yet. I might be able to get through today without a sin, but I can't guarantee tomorrow.

Reactions: amadeus

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God or Godhead is not a finite object of thought but is infinite, so there is no ‘other than’, and therein no realms, axis, angels, devils, etc. God is self-evidant.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My point was: Have you ever seen an angel so you can tell us what an angel is?
No. Nobody can tell you any more than that angels are spirit beings, but nobody knows what a spirit being is. I suspect that spirit beings can access other dimensions which we humans do not have access to, and we can't imagine what that is like.

... my suspicion is that we become angels when we repent of all our sin.
You're living in fantasy land! Where is the Biblical evidence that would make anybody think that? We are humans, and the Scriptures only say that Christians will be changed to become a new creation (so not angels, as they are an old creation) at the first resurrection/rapture:

1 Corinthians 15:22-23 (WEB):
(22) For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.​
(23) But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then those who are Christ’s, at his coming.​

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 (WEB):
(15) For this we tell you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will in no way precede those who have fallen asleep.​
(16) For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first,​
(17) then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.​

1 Corinthians 15:44 (WEB):
(44) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body and there is also a spiritual body.​

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 (WEB):
(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,​
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.​

1 John 3:2 (WEB):
(2) Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we will be. But we know that when he is revealed, we will be like him; for we will see him just as he is.​

All Christians will be changed to immortal spirit beings at the same time - when Jesus returns for the Church. Until then we remain humans or wait asleep in death.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan is a cherub, and also an angel.

The word angel is put for those that live in the heavenly dimension which is of spirit and have no flesh body. Thus Satan is also known as an angel, specifically the angel of the bottomless pit, which points to the one who is head over the abyss in the heavenly.

Yet at the same time, Satan is specifically a 'cherub' per Ezekiel 28, a specific type heavenly being created to guard God's throne.

Another term for an angel in Old Testament times was a "son of God" (Job 1 & 2; Job 38:7).

Per the New Covenant in Jesus Christ, those who believe on Jesus Christ have become the "sons of God" (Romans 8:14), which is referring to the state of Christ's elect in the future world to come, with a spiritual body like the angels (Matthew 22:30). The angelic type body is... the future glorious body that we shall manifest in that world to come.