Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My husband used to be prepared to tell those who questioned his habit that it was between himself and God.
As you said @Pearl, back a bit; it's no one else's business....

I don't like the guilt manipulating that goes on in some church circles....

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
(Body has natural nicotinic acetylcholine receptors)
Jabs with poison attacks receptors, People who smoke increase their nicotinic receptors protection, reducing their risk of Jab poison negative effect. Already some studies, people who opted for the Jab, and a smoker, having less complications from the Jab.)

Smoking a sin? No.
@Taken Interesting insight there.

I guess for you it would not be a big enough reason to start smoking because of this possible coincidental benefit.

Although you might find it a reason to mitigate the urgency of quitting smoking.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken Interesting insight there.

I guess for you it would not be a big enough reason to start smoking because of this possible coincidental benefit.

Although you might find it a reason to mitigate the urgency of quitting smoking.

I’m pretty much on the thinking of moderation, in all things. Eating, drinking, smoking, fun, work, sleep, gathering, party, home, alone, music, dress, events, etc. Don’t care for over the top, at times wish make do was not the case, but then, the making do often is the very thing that we find so funny and laugh.
Not much for the Liberal slather it on so thick what is was is lost on the wayside.

Just sharing.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?
The Lord led me to stop smoking.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord led me to stop smoking.

Fantastic Bob! As Christians we do not smoke, as it is actually a lack of respect of life, and unloving to our neighbors as I had to put up with last night at a concert. Of course in all defense of them, they did not treat me any differently than they desired to be treated, as they took it firsthand into their lungs, but me personally I considered it unloving.

Reactions: Bob Estey

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?

Are we looking for conformity to a set of rules or a heart driven by the love of Christ and love to others?
A lot of behaviour is driven by insecurity, fear, stress and worry. Smoking is an addiction and a means to calm people down.

If Christ is working through someones life, smoking will stop, at the right time. Loving those going through this stage is part of our ministry reaching out to those walking on the road of discipleship.

That would be my approach.
God bless you

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we looking for conformity to a set of rules or a heart driven by the love of Christ and love to others?
A lot of behaviour is driven by insecurity, fear, stress and worry. Smoking is an addiction and a means to calm people down.

If Christ is working through someones life, smoking will stop, at the right time. Loving those going through this stage is part of our ministry reaching out to those walking on the road of discipleship.

That would be my approach.
God bless you

Thanks Light for your input sir. Welcome to the forum. Christians have the utmost respect for life sir, so when cigarettes were found to be harmful, and a defilement to our flesh, most of us chose to give it up. It can be quite difficult, but love for God and help from His holy spirit helps us with our trials.

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Light for your input sir. Welcome to the forum. Christians have the utmost respect for life sir, so when cigarettes were found to be harmful, and a defilement to our flesh, most of us chose to give it up. It can be quite difficult, but love for God and help from His holy spirit helps us with our trials.
The problem with people caught in sin and conflicting emotion, is their release is drugs which changes their mood.
As believers we can demand conformity to our culture or outward show while missing the power of Jesus transforming people so the need for this manipulation is removed.

There are many addictive behaviours which cause issues in peoples lives, some of which people call sin while others just ignore.
The problem comes for fellowships is whether to reject people as members of faith because of these behaviours or to walk alongside them and disciple them into the faith. After getting to know the miracle of some people to just enter a church building or go to a bible study, I would rather they see victory and hope lived out, and learn patience for change rather than feel condemnation for a symtom of a deeper problem that needs Jesus to address. In todays world so few still smoke, for our fellowship that is rarely an issue.

God bless you

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with people caught in sin and conflicting emotion, is their release is drugs which changes their mood.
As believers we can demand conformity to our culture or outward show while missing the power of Jesus transforming people so the need for this manipulation is removed.

There are many addictive behaviours which cause issues in peoples lives, some of which people call sin while others just ignore.
The problem comes for fellowships is whether to reject people as members of faith because of these behaviours or to walk alongside them and disciple them into the faith. After getting to know the miracle of some people to just enter a church building or go to a bible study, I would rather they see victory and hope lived out, and learn patience for change rather than feel condemnation for a symtom of a deeper problem that needs Jesus to address. In todays world so few still smoke, for our fellowship that is rarely an issue.

God bless you

It is nice the greater number have rejected it for sure Light. For a Christian however, the most important thing we can do is God's will Mat 7:21; 1 Jn 5:3. A true Christian respects life, and will do their utmost to reject those addictions that are harmful to their lives. My faith does not allow it's members to partake of harmful drugs, unless of course prescribed by a physician. We would not flaunt it in front of other members, say for instance you were prescribed marijuana, as we would not desire to stumble others. Lk 17:1,2; 1 Cor 8:13 That applies even if it is not sinful, not meaning we could not do it, but not in the presence of those it might stumble if you are aware of it.