Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

Hello @Robert Gwin,

All of your points have merit, but I believe designating smoking as 'sin' only empowers it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If it is a sin, it will not keep one out of entering heaven. they may get there faster however! ;)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

No. Smoking, of itself, is not a sin. But if God convicts you of it and tells you to stop and you carried on, then I suppose it would be.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ultimately smoking is an addictive substance.

It should be avoided at all costs.

If you’re a smoker and experience suffering from denying that craving:

"…for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin" (1 Peter 4:1)

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I say everything that wasn't created by God is sin from the 8th day onwards even things we consider good as they all are a result of sin.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people do go to heaven Ron, why do you suppose God called them to do so?

All who believe go to heaven- not just the reinterpreted 144,000 of the Watchtower! There is a millenial kingdom on earth. but since Pentecost until the rapture- all who believe when they die go to be with Jesus in heaven as Paul extensively wrote inHis Epistles.

But all who deny the fact that Jesus rose form the dead in the same body He died in are excluded from heaven and the millenial kingdom on earth and only have eternal torment in th elake of fire to look forward to.

Believe the bible not the teachings of a man made organization Robert.

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say everything that wasn't created by God is sin from the 8th day onwards even things we consider good as they all are a result of sin.

Well computers are sin? Cars are sin? Houses are sin? clothes are sin? planes are sin? phones are sin? So you seem to be invovled in lots of sin if you really believe that.

god gave man the ability to make things. Things in and of themselves are neither good or bad. It is what we do with things that determine whether they are used for good or evil.

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well computers are sin? Cars are sin? Houses are sin? clothes are sin? planes are sin? phones are sin? So you seem to be invovled in lots of sin if you really believe that.

god gave man the ability to make things. Things in and of themselves are neither good or bad. It is what we do with things that determine whether they are used for good or evil.

Yes they are all sin except God clothed Adam and Eve so not sure about that but it was a result of sin also. Did you know Martin Cooper Mobile all have 6 letters 666 he created the mobile. Also tents, weapons etc were invented by the family of Cain and Lemech the murders in Genesis.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obesity kills more people than smoking, so we better start with the damnable sins of lack of exercise and excessive BMI.

You are not necessarily incorrect in your assumption AT, the fact is that gluttony is a sin. Not saying that obese people are all gluttons, I know a few that barely eat, but I definitely agree that all that I do know exercise little.

Although I don't hear it often, I used to hear others say of obese people that they had a glandular problem. I don't really use that term but I understand and agree with their philosophy. I think a persons dna determines how big they are going to naturally be, and that you can fight it, but no doubt be miserable in doing it. I have a very inefficient body, I eat enough for 3 people, but excrete it several times a day. I had a guy tell me the other day he wishes he had my, dang I forget the word, but he meant my chemistry, as I ate so much more than him, and was 2/3rds his size.

My wife is quite heavy, and eats very little, but being handicapped she is able to do very little exercise. Although I believe she should push much harder to do so.

I fully agree that obesity is a health risk.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they are all sin except God clothed Adam and Eve so not sure about that but it was a result of sin also. Did you know Martin Cooper Mobile all have 6 letters 666 he created the mobile. Also tents, weapons etc were invented by the family of Cain and Lemech the murders in Genesis

"…you bring some strange things to our ears." (Acts 17:20)

That’s overthinking things, I think.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they are all sin except God clothed Adam and Eve so not sure about that but it was a result of sin also. Did you know Martin Cooper Mobile all have 6 letters 666 he created the mobile. Also tents, weapons etc were invented by the family of Cain and Lemech the murders in Genesis.

So why are you using something that is sin?
do you drive a car?
Have you sworn off tents?
No airplanes?

Get real. Things are neither good nor evil. It is man that is evil and one can use a car for good or evil. same with a computer and a tent. Everything is either good or evil

Just because someone who may have been unsaved invented something does not make it evil. You will need to defend that biblically.

Remember what Jesus said:

Mark 7:19-21
King James Version

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Using a computer is no more sin than eating with unwashed hands was sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsBeloved11

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

what's next eating processed meats are not good for your heath, correct? does that make you a sinner. one's heath is one's prerogative not yours to judge.

Reactions: Waiting on him