Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello! Hahaha, I was booted off Christianity forums. I must be really bad over there because I was banned without any notice of any kind. Thanks for responding
Hello, Titus...Welcome to CB...what were you seeking from an admin or mid? I am happy to answer any questions.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do I contact any of you?
Thanks
Through a private conversation or email. At the bottom is a tab to contact someone.
The only administrative people here is lforrest, Angelina, and Brent W. The rest of us are moderators.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello! Hahaha, I was booted off Christianity forums. I must be really bad over there because I was banned without any notice of any kind. Thanks for responding

I have been posting here for months sir, and I find this to be a great site, and most of the posters here have a more sincere desire to discuss and learn about God missing from many religious sites. I notice you are from the midwest, I am from central Illinois, where is your area if you desire to say.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If people think it's sinful then they shouldn't do it. But they have a clear conscience about it then it's up to them.

It’s very difficult for us to grasp that it is what comes out of you, the heart, that defiles you. It seems ludicrous to worry over a cigarette rather than lament murdering others.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It’s very difficult for us to grasp that it is what comes out of you, the heart, that defiles you. It seems ludicrous to worry over a cigarette rather than lament murdering others.
I agree, and not just murder but also things like intolerance and unforgiveness and other such things.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can dance around this, but it gets boring, frankly.

Jesus told the Jews Who He is, and they knew EXACTLY what He meant. And He did not disabuse them of this notion, He reinforced it for them. They picked up stones to stone Him because they understood Him. He told them He was one with God, that He was the Son of God, they knew this was the same thing as saying He IS God.

You want to make it sound like I'm saying something I'm not. You've done that a few times now. That is completely dishonest! But it's not just me you are doing that with, you do the same with God.

The fact of the matter is, Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess, that means you too! That Jesus Christ is LORD. Just as He said in Isaiah, To Me, YHWH, every knee shall bow, every tongue confess.

That's the prophecy, and contrary to what some may think . . . It WILL be fulfilled.

Much love!

Why are you capitalizing Lord when referring to Phil 2:11 from the KJV?
In Phil 2 who exalts Jesus?
Who gives him his name?
Who is to receive the glory from confessing that Jesus is Lord?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you capitalizing Lord when referring to Phil 2:11 from the KJV?
I think my post answers that.

What do you suppose Paul was doing in applying that passage to Jesus?

Much love!

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think my post answers that.

Much love!
There is no basis for capitalizing Lord in this verse. You are doing so to imply this is referring to the Father’s name. This confusion is the result of removing the Tetragrammaton and replacing it with Adonai. This confusion makes it easier to blur the distinction between the Almighty God and his firstborn Son.

Now, in Phil 2 who exalts Jesus?
Who gives him his name?
Why would God need to be exalted?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no basis for capitalizing Lord in this verse. You are doing so to imply this is referring to the Father’s name. This confusion is the result of removing the Tetragrammaton and replacing it with Adonai. This confusion makes it easier to blur the distinction between the Almighty God and his firstborn Son.

Now, in Phil 2 who exalts Jesus?
Who gives him his name?
Why would God need to be exalted?

This isn't just some sloppy poetry or something, and Paul was not some ignoramus about the Hebrew Scritpures, or the Hebrew God. You seem to have a difficulty understanding Who YHWH is, it's Jesus, that's Who. If you don't see that, I pray God reveal this to you.

No one has seen God at any time, right? So Who is this YHWH Who ate with Abraham? Conversed with Abraham and Sarah? Who ate with the elders of Isreal? No one has seen God at any time, but Jesus has revealed Him.

It is to YHWH that all will swear. Jesus Christ IS Lord. LORD. YHWH.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This thread is long already; not sure about the basic premise.

It might be described with the advantage of knowledge now as not very healthy. But anyway Spurgeon the great preacher smoked; in those days it would have seemed to be quite different.

Back
She always had cigarettes in he apron pocket. It was just part of who she was and smoking was not taboo back then.
@Pearl I expect your mom would have regarded the debates and heat about smoking today as a bit strange; since for a lot of folk back then just did it naturally and confidently. As you said it likely was simply part of who she was. Lighting up and keeping cigarettes readily to hand is what ppl just innocently did.

As I said, even Spurgeon smoked.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken FYI....did you see this thread?

Yes, from some time ago.

IMO, no smoking is not a sin.
Disbelief is a sin.

Interestingly...for some time, a bandwagon has appeared, anti-smoking, anti-smokers.

IMO - Observing, Scripturally and Historically...IF an Earthly “government” is Strongly Promoting something, anything: in the Big Picture (results and consequences) strong consideration of the complete opposite of what they Promote is most beneficial FOR you.

Anti-Smoking. People, Governments (bans, limited, sky rocket cost)....Whoopie!!!
The smell, ewe, The mess, ewe, The cause of fires, aw, The promoted KILLER Lung disease, fear.

FEAR, ie Govt, promoted, People react, Afraid.
Clinics, Drugs, Pills, Patches, ie Chemical Compounds, Govt approved.
(Transfer of wealth, from People TO barons...ie. Mega Corporations.
(Mega Corporations (barons), control Elections with Wealth. Govt officials, sleep with barons...a puppet, puppet master love affair, and the People, poor, wealth transferred, controlled).

This decades long, Pseudo FEAR plandemic, (pillow talk, between puppet masters and puppets)...endless wars, economy tinkering, loaning invisible worthless paper as money, reaping usury, Poison Injections, under the guise of a Vaccine...offered, freebie, mandated, forced, punished for refusal. (control useful and eliminate useless).

Spoiler; in very brief
(Body has natural nicotinic acetylcholine receptors)
Jabs with poison attacks receptors, People who smoke increase their nicotinic receptors protection, reducing their risk of Jab poison negative effect. Already some studies, people who opted for the Jab, and a smoker, having less complications from the Jab.)

Smoking a sin? No.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, from some time ago.

IMO, no smoking is not a sin.
Disbelief is a sin.

Interestingly...for some time, a bandwagon has appeared, anti-smoking, anti-smokers.

IMO - Observing, Scripturally and Historically...IF an Earthly “government” is Strongly Promoting something, anything: in the Big Picture (results and consequences) strong consideration of the complete opposite of what they Promote is most beneficial FOR you.

Anti-Smoking. People, Governments (bans, limited, sky rocket cost)....Whoopie!!!
The smell, ewe, The mess, ewe, The cause of fires, aw, The promoted KILLER Lung disease, fear.

FEAR, ie Govt, promoted, People react, Afraid.
Clinics, Drugs, Pills, Patches, ie Chemical Compounds, Govt approved.
(Transfer of wealth, from People TO barons...ie. Mega Corporations.
(Mega Corporations (barons), control Elections with Wealth. Govt officials, sleep with barons...a puppet, puppet master love affair, and the People, poor, wealth transferred, controlled).

This decades long, Pseudo FEAR plandemic, (pillow talk, between puppet masters and puppets)...endless wars, economy tinkering, loaning invisible worthless paper as money, reaping usury, Poison Injections, under the guise of a Vaccine...offered, freebie, mandated, forced, punished for refusal. (control useful and eliminate useless).

Spoiler; in very brief
(Body has natural nicotinic acetylcholine receptors)
Jabs with poison attacks receptors, People who smoke increase their nicotinic receptors protection, reducing their risk of Jab poison negative effect. Already some studies, people who opted for the Jab, and a smoker, having less complications from the Jab.)

Smoking a sin? No.
@Taken I read that before the American Civil War it was in some places rather widespread for women to be seen smoking after church. (Tell that to today's zealots, right?)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I read that before the American Civil War it was in some places rather widespread for women to be seen smoking after church. (Tell that to today's zealots, right?)

Women smoking, or snuffing, was not as no no as portrayed. It was done among the elite and poor and loose women.
The elite were more “secretive”, because of the “gossip and reputation” that the “loose” were subject to...
The “loose”, openly in public, in mixed company.
The “elite”, quietly in private homes, women in the “sitting room”, men in the “parlor room”.
(And the elite, would gossip about the loose...”public display”...oh so uncouth...lol)
(Kids locked in the cellar....lol joking...kids with the nannies out of sight).

Same with “clothing”... Scantly dressed women in Public...a no, no.
Privately among the “elite” circles okay.

Hollywood, held to and changed much of that...”lewd, in public”... ”glamorous, in private”.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Frankly, I've never understood the need to judge people by their outward appearance.

My wife's aunt Jeannie was the undisputed saint of her side of the family.

4738539_fbs.jpg

There was quite a turnout for her funeral.

An extraordinary amount of tears there.

She smoked right up until the day she died of cancer.

She believed it was wrong to smoke.

She claimed to be in a right relationship with God.

She went to church.

She made the world a better place in which to live.

You can't argue with a life well-lived.

I don't know whether she'll be saved or not.

It's none of my business.

Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

My wife and I loved her dearly.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said, even Spurgeon smoked.

Whether smoking was not known to be detrimental to one's health "back then" or, as you said, "Spurgeon smoked," does not mean it is NOT a sin. God said "Thou shalt not kill."
How can we understand the word "kill?" Does it mean we could not kill animals for our consumption? No. We all know it means not to take another man's or one own's life! Life is very precious to God. He gives life and only He can take it back.
Did not Satan said to Eve, "you will surely not die?" did Eve die? Not physically right there and then but she did die "spiritually" because of disobedience.

So is smoking a sin? I believe it is. SMOKING IS SELF MURDER!

To God Be The Glory