Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a mathematical way to do it. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability and betting
Before I go to where you have directed me to read, I would like to tell you of a more excellent way of hermeneutics which is the method I have learned.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 reads:

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So you see, the method of hermeneutics I've learned is a more excellent way that even a child can do! Besides, I'm out of your league when English matters, because it is my second language.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus based the greatness or lack of faith on depth of belief,

Matt 8:10
When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!

Matt 15:28 "
Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour."

Did they place bets? Nope.

Theirs was based on faith,

not some goofy betting system that is supposed to make one look like ( although it sure doesn't ) some kind of intellectual.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Before I go to where you have directed me to read, I would like to tell you of a more excellent way of hermeneutics which is the method I have learned.
Right, I use 2 Timothy 3:15-17 as well. It is included in my hermeneutics.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, I use 2 Timothy 3:15-17 as well. It is included in my hermeneutics.
Then why do you want to understand Scripture through the wisdom and eyes of man?

Is God's way not enough? Who knows better but God?

The Bible is a spiritual Book and therefore must be spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible is a spiritual Book and therefore must be spiritually discerned.
Right.

According to your bet, mathematically and scientifically, your faith is worth $1 in this case. Do you care to increase the value of your faith by increasing your bet?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is smoking a sin?

I don't think so. the Bible does not mention directly about smoking tobacco cigarettes or cigars.

1 Corinthians 10:

CDC lists many bad health effects:

It is wise not to smoke.

Similarly for vaping, it is not a sin but it is not wise.

See also Smoke weed.
This is one of those times where using common words instead of Biblical jargon really clarifies the issue.

What's a sin? It's an error.

Is it an error to smoke tobacco? Definitely so.

That said, does it lead to eternal damnation? Doubtful. The consequences are well-known and they happen here in this mortal life.

1John 5:
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of those times where using common words instead of Biblical jargon really clarifies the issue.

That said, does it lead to eternal damnation? Doubtful. The consequences are well-known and they happen here in this mortal life.

1John 5:
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
The biblical definition of sin is a transgression of God's law. So is not smoking God's law? Maybe we lump it in where in fact the bible is silent?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right.

According to your bet, mathematically and scientifically, your faith is worth $1 in this case. Do you care to increase the value of your faith by increasing your bet?
You keep saying "right" as above for several times now. There must be some things we agree upon. And, since you already know how I stand on betting, let me give you two reasons why. We read in Ephesians 2:8-9:

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And, there is no value for me to increase or decrease my faith, for it is God's business. He is the only ONE who knows how great a faith He bestowed in me!!!

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What about the command, "Thou shalt not kill" is that a sin leading to damnation? Same with suicide?

Is it a sin to kill animals for food consumption? Definitely not!

Why then do you believe smoking (which is hazardous to your health) is NOT a sin?

Is not smoking "murder" to self?

To God Be The Glory

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is smoking a sin?

No.

I don’t know of anyone in which smoking cause them to not believe.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You keep saying "right" as above for several times now.
Right, and this is the last time I am asking you:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, and this is the last time I am asking you:

And this is the last time I'm going to say it.

Faith is a gift from God and therefore, it is His business alone on how to dispense the measure of belief to a person.