Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus turned water into wine. GOOD wine! Did Jesus sin?
all wine back then was different. Real grapes crushed by feet. and the fermentation was slow and it was sweeter, It was alcohol for sure, but not as potent. They drank it like we drink soda's and tea. If you drank alot, you could get drunk, but it took alot. That's why weddings lasted a week of drinking.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 2
7 Jesus said to them, "Fill the waterpots with water." And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And He said to them, "Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast." And they took it.
9 When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, "Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!"

Did Jesus sin?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen smoking addicts. Some act like they will die if they don't get a cigarette.
People can be addicted to almost anything, alcohol, tobacco, chocolate, computer games, sex, work etc, etc.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smoking is a sin for me. So i quit because I was wheezing (I couldn't give a good testimony while wheezing, raspy voice) I went to vaping, recovered my voice (amazing) and quit vaping years ago. All with the Lord's help/

My sin may not be yours though, God was bothering me about smoking--it was a wedge between us.
James 4:17 "To him who think to do right and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

If God starts bothering you about something, you need to listen up.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smoking is a sin for me. So i quit because I was wheezing (I couldn't give a good testimony while wheezing, raspy voice) I went to vaping, recovered my voice (amazing) and quit vaping years ago. All with the Lord's help/

My sin may not be yours though, God was bothering me about smoking--it was a wedge between us.
James 4:17 "To him who think to do right and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

If God starts bothering you about something, you need to listen up.
My son smoked for years and quit by vaping! He hasn't smoked in years.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

ImperfectlyPerfectC

Nov 5, 2023
Naples, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about drinking?
1 Timothy 3:8 (NLT) ~ "In the same way, Christians must be well respected and have integrity. They must not be heavy drinkers or dishonest with money."

The Bible describes wine as a gift from God that can make life more enjoyable, however, we shouldn't take advantage of it, so to speak, like overdrinking or being a foolish victim of drunkenness. Alcohol, in itself, is something to be very cautious of as well as the amount of intake we indulge with it.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is smoking a sin?​

YES, MOST DEFINITELY!

Scripture stipulates in Matthew 5:21: "Thou shalt not kill."

Does this mean we can't kill animals for food consumption? NO! It means, "Thou shalt not murder."

Now read the label in a pack of cigarettes.

In regards to drinking, Scripture reads in Deuteronomy 21:20-21....

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son [is] stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; [he is] a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

To God Be The Glory

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is smoking a sin?​

YES, MOST DEFINITELY!

Scripture stipulates in Matthew 5:21: "Thou shalt not kill."

Does this mean we can't kill animals for food consumption? NO! It means, "Thou shalt not murder."

Now read the label in a pack of cigarettes.

In regards to drinking, Scripture reads in Deuteronomy 21:20-21....

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son [is] stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; [he is] a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

To God Be The Glory
No doubt, cigarettes are KILLERS!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
YES, MOST DEFINITELY!
Let proposition P1 = Smoking is a sin.
P2 = Smoking is not a sin.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let proposition P1 = Smoking is a sin.
P2 = Smoking is not a sin.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.
Proposition 1 = 10

Proposition 2 = 0

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is smoking a sin?​

Coming to a screaming halt is gonna produce some smoke but I suppose it's better than running a red light a peak hour!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is smoking a sin?
^

No…less it makes you stop believing.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our temple is spiritual, it is not our bodies. If cigarette smoking was a sin then you might as well say all obese people are going to hell. You can then start splitting hairs with every single unnatural food or drink you put in your body, drug, alcohol ... a twinkie, a hot dog ( unless it's kosher). There are thousands of additives, artifical this and that ... oops you've defiled yourself a thousand times over.
That which enters into the mouth doesn't defile the man; but that which proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
Matt. 15:11

>>Maybe I am wrong about that? Made me think of this verse:
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” John 2:19.
It's just that I think the Holy Spiritual as dwelling in a spiritual/ non-physical part of me. Maybe Jesus put that in terms we could understand and at the sake time confounded the Pharisees, as they thought He was referring to the physical Temple that took 40 years to build.

And another thing...
Eating without first washing your hands has to be a huge "No-No". But then you have to measure/authorize the soap and measure the water (not too little or too much) and then have a timer that you use to direct how many rubbing and scrubbing strokes you use on your hands including the use of the authorized nail brush as well as determining the length of fingernails.....

The list gets kinda long doesn't it?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is smoking a sin?

I don't think so. the Bible does not mention directly about smoking tobacco cigarettes or cigars.

1 Corinthians 10:

CDC lists many bad health effects:

It is wise not to smoke.

Similarly for vaping, it is not a sin but it is not wise.

See also Smoke weed.
I think most people are unqualified to answer that question. Let me give some thoughts about that:

A lot of people consider anything addictive to be sinful as it enslaves the person: ie (I will just list the consumed things that can be addictive) alcohol, tobacco, coffee, food, drugs.

Jesus answered appropriately:

Matthew 15:11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” 12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”

So I would follow the teaching in Matthew 15:11-14 in that nothing we take in is a sin, but if it causes us to sin in other ways, like excessive drunkenness and acting foolishly then it can lead to sin. Then it becomes unwise and should be refrained from.

We could seriously debate about whether or not tobacco causes cancer. For instance, it can in certain people lead to cancer, and in others they have and will live a full life and never get cancer. So when they say tobacco increases your risk for cancer, that is probably an incorrect statement to make. As they cannot prove someone will get cancer from tobacco.

It is certainly better to go without tobacco. And the question wasn't asked about alcohol but I see many weighing in on that subject. The bible prescribes alcohol for certain conditions:

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to those who are bitter of heart.

It also warns of excessive drunkenness as unwise:

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My son smoked for years and quit by vaping! He hasn't smoked in years.
Did you know?
That the nicotine (addictive substance) in tobacco is not exactly the same as the nicotine in Vaping? The nicotine in vape cartridges and oil is derived from tomatoes. Which is very similar but is chemically dissimilar in the molecule construction to where it is not addictive.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most people are unqualified to answer that question. Let me give some thoughts about that:

A lot of people consider anything addictive to be sinful as it enslaves the person: ie (I will just list the consumed things that can be addictive) alcohol, tobacco, coffee, food, drugs.

Jesus answered appropriately:

Matthew 15:11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” 12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”

So I would follow the teaching in Matthew 15:11-14 in that nothing we take in is a sin, but if it causes us to sin in other ways, like excessive drunkenness and acting foolishly then it can lead to sin. Then it becomes unwise and should be refrained from.

We could seriously debate about whether or not tobacco causes cancer. For instance, it can in certain people lead to cancer, and in others they have and will live a full life and never get cancer. So when they say tobacco increases your risk for cancer, that is probably an incorrect statement to make. As they cannot prove someone will get cancer from tobacco.

It is certainly better to go without tobacco. And the question wasn't asked about alcohol but I see many weighing in on that subject. The bible prescribes alcohol for certain conditions:

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to those who are bitter of heart.

It also warns of excessive drunkenness as unwise:

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

For decades the oldest living person was a lady who quit tobacco at 100 years of age and had smoked or chewed tobacco/snuff since she was a teenager.

It definitely seems to be a genetic predisposition instead of a guaranteed poison. It might be a very common predisposition but that doesn't make it an absolute.

But to non-smokers and especially to former smokers the odor of an active smoker is especially offensive. But eating kale is offensive to everyone. Especially by those who have gas as a result. (Feces smell is always offensive)

But what about peanuts?

Reactions: dev553344