Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is rock climbing a sin? Driving a car, flying in an aircraft, being a police officer, joining the military, etc, etc, etc. All can cause premature death but might not. And the statement that smoking defiles the temple of God is opinion and not supported with any biblical fact.
Of course--but I think you are feeling attacked. I don't want that. I did not attack you.
I smoked for decades . I have had several mental illness over the years, hospitalized a couple of times. I could not just quit. I got a plan from God, and we worked from smoking to vaping to when I got to 0%, I quit. I still have COPD. I exercise to be able to build my lung capacity up--I am still at 98 percent oxygen, praise God. I wouldn't be if i continued

No one is accusing you of sinning, but your examples aren't the same as smoking . rock climbing ? No.
Yes our of the heart man speaks. And I speak to the truth of things.
I speak the truth too.
Mark 16:17-18 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
That is not what He is talking about--doing stuff to harm the body, and then getting it fixed, and doing it again. It is "if that happens to them, then..." You think the snake handlers churches aren't tempting God?

If you click on it, you can see the video.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course--but I think you are feeling attacked. I don't want that. I did not attack you.
I smoked for decades . I have had several mental illness over the years, hospitalized a couple of times. I could not just quit. I got a plan from God, and we worked from smoking to vaping to when I got to 0%, I quit. I still have COPD. I exercise to be able to build my lung capacity up--I am still at 98 percent oxygen, praise God. I wouldn't be if i continued

No one is accusing you of sinning, but your examples aren't the same as smoking . rock climbing ? No.

I speak the truth too.

That is not what He is talking about--doing stuff to harm the body, and then getting it fixed, and doing it again. It is "if that happens to them, then..." You think the snake handlers churches aren't tempting God?

If you click on it, you can see the video.
OK, so I think we're in disagreement on the poison idea. Most everything is poisonous at different levels including water. But I can see you don't see what I am talking about. Here:

"What you need to know about water toxicity, a potentially fatal condition. Brooke Shields overhydrated herself into a “full-blown grand mal seizure” in September before the opening of her one-woman show in New York City, the renowned actress told Glamour this week." Brooke Shields suffered a seizure after drinking too much water. What you need to know about water toxicity, a potentially fatal condition

And BTW I'm just in debate mode. Not offended.

But thanks, sorry to hear you have troubles too. I don't have COPD but I've known people that do and I have cystic fibrosis which is why I chew tobacco instead of smoke. I quit for 10 years and then had some really terrible things happen to me so I started back up. I'm just too old now to quit I think, I tried but got about a day before I went insane. No biggie as tobacco is not a sin.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, so I think we're in disagreement on the poison idea. Most everything is poisonous at different levels including water. But I can see you don't see what I am talking about.

And BTW I'm just in debate mode. Not offended.

But thanks, sorry to hear you have troubles too. I don't have COPD but I've known people that do and I have cystic fibrosis which is why I chew tobacco instead of smoke. I quit for 10 years and then had some really terrible things happen to me so I started back up. I'm just too old now to quit I think, I tried but got about a day before I went insane. No biggie as tobacco is not a sin. Heck even the Mormons don't think it is a sin and their goody two shoes like. They are very legalistic too. They include it in their "words of wisdom" but declare that it is not a sin.

Well the point here is that no one has proven that tobacco is a sin or defiles the temple. I have provided my case and I see no testimony that proves me otherwise. And I think for that we don't need opinion but rather biblical proof. God can speak for himself on the matter since he is the judge of what is sin and what isn't.
Zechariah 14
12 And this shall be the plague with which the LORD will strike all the people who fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets, And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths.

Hasn't happened yet!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 14
12 And this shall be the plague with which the LORD will strike all the people who fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets, And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths.

Hasn't happened yet!
That sounds incredibly off topic, and probably a prophecy a long time ago. But thanks for your opinion on the subject.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have provided my case and I see no testimony that proves me otherwise.
I don't see that at all. All I see is rationalizing your situation to a point that it is not in the Bible ( I dont even know if anyone smoked back then--it sure didn't come up. )
the thing is you could say that God has not convicted you, so to you it is not a sin,end of story, instead of saying no one has proved anything except you. You have given an opinion--the opening post was asking for an opinion, and folks just gave theirs.
Its what we were asked.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds incredibly off topic, and probably a prophecy a long time ago. But thanks for your opinion on the subject.
When did this happen???

"Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets, And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths."

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did this happen???

"Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets, And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths."
Isn't that an old testament prophecy? I don't know when it happened as we don't have all of recorded history to work with, but I really don't care enough to scan all the dead sea scrolls they have to debate that idea with you. Could be that they died and no record was kept.

Still if you have a point that is applicable to the OP please make it.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that an old testament prophecy? I don't know when it happened as we don't have all of recorded history to work with, but I really don't care enough to scan all the dead sea scrolls they have to debate that idea with you. Could be that they died and no record was kept.
Jesus hasn't returned so it has not happened, but SOON! Watch Jesus, the God of Israel fight for Israel!
Still if you have a point that is applicable to the OP please make it.
I replied to YOUR comment.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not by my mouth but by Scripture! Smoking is self-murder. Read the label on a pack of cigarettes.
Sure. My point is different now. My point now is whether you will support your belief with money. Put money where your mouth is. This is the last time I ask you: Are you willing to bet based on your weight assignment?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see that at all. All I see is rationalizing your situation to a point that it is not in the Bible ( I dont even know if anyone smoked back then--it sure didn't come up. )
the thing is you could say that God has not convicted you, so to you it is not a sin,end of story, instead of saying no one has proved anything except you. You have given an opinion--the opening post was asking for an opinion, and folks just gave theirs.
Its what we were asked.
OK, @Cassandra sorry if I upset or frustrated you. It looks like smoking has injured you so enough said.

God did once tell me something, and if I'm being mean God may send me a little harsh feeling so that I stop and think twice. But God had once told me to see the psychiatrist and the psychiatrist put me on meds. Good thing. No I haven't been "convicted" against tobacco.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would rather someone smoked dope than smoking fags any day.
By dope i mean real dope grown, the correct way that it was done years ago and not the stupid rubbish dope that people smoke nowadays.
Dope is not addictive at all in fact, i know a mate who smoked dope from 19yo to 55yo full on like every hour on the hour first thing got out of bed and went to bed.
He gave smoking dope up and said it was easy, not a problem but he smoked fags and he said that was total Hell to give that up, he smoked fags from when he got a licence at 17yo.

Smoking fags should be got rid of as their is not anything good at all about such at all, many women smoke such so as not to gain weight, so we see more women smoking nowadays, Not to mention one fag in Australia cost $1.30 each ! or more. because Australia Tax it so highly !

My Mum smokes and goes into hospital how many times a year because of the smoking related issues. and just like a drug addict she rejects that such as anything to do with smoking. seen my dad die from smoking but she rejects that as well.

I hated them smoking when i was a kid at home, and thinking back, i should of belted them for smoking, if i only knew what lay ahead for me wasting my time with them taking to Hospital and back, and that's a whole day lost each time.

So is smoking fags a Sin yes it is ! Why would one pick it up, retards !

I think things in moderation, like drinking grog is fine, in fact you may need it ! because you have been driven to drink from working all day ?
Smoking the correct type of dope could be very good for one as well, it relaxes you out and feel good, fags don't do anything good for one at all ! and here is my mum the next unit friend smokes dope a 75yo and mum thinks they are on drugs Dope is very bad drug she says ! worst drug ever in fact ! :rolleyes: And i say mum you are the biggest drug addict that i have ever met, totally smashed out on doctor prescribed rubbish ! off her face that badly that she does not know what i say ! and she is talking total rubbish for years, so you have to watch out what you say to her or else she will get it all wrong, making up nonsense out of anything, like i said once that i got pulled over by the police for a random breath test, so she says to everyone i done busted for drink driving ! No not at all. and talking about other people with some stupid total nonsense, that is not true at all and i know it for a fact !

Reactions: JunChosen and Jack

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

There is no condemnation in drinking a little it is when you continue to live in a drunkard stance that is condemned. I would say like wise with weed it has medical advantages and as well as done properly would be the same.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure. My point is different now. My point now is whether you will support your belief with money. Put money where your mouth is. This is the last time I ask you: Are you willing to bet based on your weight assignment?
If you insist ok, I'll wager one dollar.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, @Cassandra sorry if I upset or frustrated you. It looks like smoking has injured you so enough said.

God did once tell me something, and if I'm being mean God may send me a little harsh feeling so that I stop and think twice. But God had once told me to see the psychiatrist and the psychiatrist put me on meds. Good thing. No I haven't been "convicted" against tobacco.
Then you're good if there's no conviction. ♥

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My apologies as I deleted that post as unnecessary for me to address. But I will address the issue of poisons and their either defiling or not defiling the temple. I don't follow that teaching that poison defiles the temple. Are the apostles and believers defiled:

Mark 16:17-18 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Alcohol is a poison and prescribed in the bible for certain uses and drank by Jesus and many others, even made by Jesus. God made tobacco and coffee beans.

Now I wouldn't intentionally take a poison would I? Perhaps I would, if it kills cancer instead of me, such is the nature of chemo therapy. In fact my psych meds are very poisonous and are administered in very tiny milligrams of dosage. These essential poisons cause the body to react in ways that are beneficial to the receiver. Tobacco has a calming effect on mentally disturbed individuals. So the case can be made.

Yes our of the heart man speaks. And I speak to the truth of things.
That scripture that says you will not be hurt or harmed if you drink something deadly like poison I think means that you will be protected from harmful things if you are in Christ, a child of God, but not that you should mindlessly ingest poison. And a lot of things have risk but that doesn't mean it's against God. That's why we need to be lead by God and have direction from Him, but if we KNOW that smoking is damaging and addictive then we shouldn't do it, it's an idol and defiles the body, the Holy Temple of God. My strong belief.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you don't put much faith in this belief of yours.
Of course I do. Didn't I say I was NOT a betting man? Didn't I say..."if you insist"? For a non-betting man one dollar is too much to bet.

In order to understand your OP one must be a Berean who searches the Scripture to see if the thing they read about or what Paul said was so.

God spoke in parables and without a parable he did not speak to them (Mark 4:34; 11-13).

A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

1 Corinthians 2:11-14 reads:

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

Are you spiritual?

To God Be The Glory

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I do. Didn't I say I was NOT a betting man? Didn't I say..."if you insist"? For a non-betting man one dollar is too much to bet.

In order to understand your OP one must be a Berean who searches the Scripture to see if the thing they read about or what Paul said was so.

God spoke in parables and without a parable he did not speak to them (Mark 4:34; 11-13).

A parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

1 Corinthians 2:11-14 reads:

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

Are you spiritual?

To God Be The Glory
It's okay. I still don't understand the betting thing he keeps trying to put on beliefs which cannot be proven.

Always wanted to know who is betting on the other side? Who decides who wins?
and who collects the money?

If it is supposed to be an intellectually stimulating conversation or what ever, the betting part takes it backstreet.

Once on some other thread , he asked me how much I was willing to bet, and I told him "my eternal life." Evidently, that wasn't good enough--it was supposed to be money. So I guess eternal life is worth less than a few bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JunChosen