Is that His real name Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The King James translators were following the Greek spellings and text. And there is no "Yeshua" in Greek for Jesus. It is no big deal. Jesus is found as a translation in every language. And at this point the English speaking world (which is actually everyone) is quite conversant with "Jesus".

Yes I understand what you are saying. But the point I am making is that proper nouns are usually transliterated inti the closet letter sounds of the language being translated into. My point is no need in English as we have in our language the same sounding letters for the Hebrew word Yeshua. So why not maintain the same name why change it? Greek maintained the same process as there is no y sound in Greek so the closest sound is the I = iota sound hence the translation Ieseus. We can and should by using the same principles to transliterate more accurately. Maybe something more going on here. Maybe innocent. This is the point. Plus the Hebrew meaning means salvation, deliverance. Jesus in English does not convey that same meaning it is more of an identifier as most names are in English today. So names are very important especially in Hebrew.

Can you imagine when He started to become renowned and the religious leaders were asking what is His name? Who is this man? And they answered, His name is Yeshua they immediately knew the meaning as salvation, deliverance or savior, deliverer. So, amazing!

Shalom Friend

Last edited:

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have a legitimate question in reply to your statement in your post:
Do you know His new name?

Enlighten us please. Looking forward to your proposition. I prefer to call Him Yeshua, but also understand that people have variants of the pronunciations of that also. I am also Ok with Jesus. I was just making a point in the original post.

Shalom Friend

KoT

Aug 12, 2021
pogo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Enlighten us please. Looking forward to your proposition. I prefer to call Him Yeshua, but also understand that people have variants of the pronunciations of that also. I am also Ok with Jesus. I was just making a point in the original post.

Shalom Friend
I just call Him my God.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name Yeshua, nor Jesus, are found in the NT - theos is the title for a god and ton theon for the God in the New Testament koine Greek manuscripts - Christendom added the transliterated form of the Hebrew to their very poor NIV version. then claim to have restored the name Jehovah to the New Testament.

400th Anniversary - Hallowing the Divine Name

All they did was put Hebrew into a koine Greek NT. It's all English.... let me help you E N G L I S H
Jesus means 'Jehovah Is Salvation'
Elijah means 'My God is Jehovah'

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the LORD, ( Jehovah Deu 6:13; Deu 10:20 ) thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Which is completely irrelevant to the fact that adding Hebrew to the New Testament that God chose to write in koine Greek - that excludes the Hebrew names for God such as Elohim, Yahweh. Adonai - is restoring nothing, because those Hebrew names were NEVER IN THE KOINE GREEK MANUSCRIPTS in the first place.

And Jehovah is still a transliteration of the vowels from Adonai and the consonants from YHWH, and is still therefore a made up name, that is never found once in the original Hebrew Old Testament manuscripts.

Ask any Orthodox Jewish rabbi if the name Jehovah is found anywhere from Genesis to Malachi, and he will say NO.

How do you think Yahweh, two syllables, ends up being Jehovah, THREE syllables?

Because it combines YHWH with Adonai.

It’s the restoration of a made up name.

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it combines YHWH with Adonai.

Lord is one syllable. When transliterating into different languages syllables are not always the same.

Jesus when translated means Jehovah is Salvation. Therefore, the messenger sent would have his Father's Name within him. (Exodus 23:20-21)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name Yahweh, nor Jehovah, are found in the NT - theos is the only name or title for God in the New Testament koine Greek manuscripts - the watchtower added the transliterated form of the Hebrew to their very poor NWT version. then claim to have restored the name Jehovah to the New Testament.

All they did was put Hebrew into a koine Greek NT.

The original writings of the new testament are long gone Curt, and any copies that still exist were from the period of apostasy which do not contain the Divine name in them. Perhaps like us, you think the Bible should not be altered, so when a verse from the Hebrew scriptures like Mat 4:10 is quoted, then it would be appropriate to record it as it appeared in the Hebrew. Obviously Jesus would not alter God's word, nor would any of the Bible writers. So when a verse from the Hebrew Scriptures is quoted in the Greek passages, our translators translated it as it appeared in the Hebrew from the oldest surviving manuscripts. If the passages included the Divine Name, we would not alter it, rather reneder it Jehovah as it was originally. (translated into English of course) Jehovah's witnesses are very conscientious about trying to present the word of God the way He originally inspired it.