Is the Logos meaningful, or meaningless? - Depends on your view of Logos.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were required to take a certain number of Humanities credits in college, so I thought I'd take a course in Western Philosophy. Western Philosophy pretty much started with the Greeks, so the first reading assignment was Plato. Our prof told us, "Some of you will read this and say, 'Oh, wow, this is really deep stuff'. And some of you will read this and say, 'This is the biggest pile of bulls*** I've ever read in my life'. Buy me a beer when the semester is over, and I'll tell you what I really think." I tried to read the assignment and found myself in the latter camp and dropped the course. My only regret is that I didn't have a chance to buy that professor a beer.

I also never did get a chance to study Heraclitus or Philo, but my understanding is that the λόγος is that חָכְמָה (Wisdom) that provides order to Creation.

Does "order" imply "meaning"? I'll have to think about that one.
I can identify, except that it really depends on if, by nature, you like philosophy. I am one who did, although my philosophy professor enjoyed producing school after school of thought, only to show its futility in the end.

In my experience, the whole thing was about demonstrating the impossible bridge between human knowledge and things of the infinite, whether you call it "God" or not. It came to be assumed that human reason cannot perceive divine revelation, since a purely subjective thought cannot conceive of anything beyond itself. It is pure conjecture or "wishful thinking."

So morality is viewed as anybody's idea of "good," and creates a kind of "romantic" feeling about the innate goodness of man. All this until a world war takes place, and people look like savage animals, and even worse, justify it. God doesn't appear to ever "show up." And it certainly doesn't honor our requests and petitions!

I personally think this skepticism is due to the common experience of Man after he has *rejected* divine revelation. The idea that the infinite God cannot speak directly to human reason is simply a choice not to comply with it. When we choose to obey His internal revelation about morality and love, the God-experience becomes more real to us.

If God is real and infinite, then what would prevent Him from being able to speak into our finite world and limited reason? Revelation would be His way of condescending to our own worldly limitations, and a reasonable vehicle for communicating with us.

Truth is verified then in our experience. It gains credibility with our limited human reason when we see God and His expression of the infinite in our finite world.

This may be an experience of supernatural love or witnessing a divine miracle. Revelation is, by definition, a finite representation and evidence of what is infinite and real. And a limited "representation" can express the real thing.

Do we really have to experience *all of God* to know that we are really experiencing an infinite God? Can we really experience a single act of God and really know that it was God? I think so.

God does indeed "show up" when we put divine values into our lives and experience their reality. And many of our petitions are answered, when they are inspired by the One who defines what love and unselfishness are. God is an experience, when we are compliant with it, when the thing we experience is defined as "God." And it is God Himself who enables this--not finite human reason!

It is true that finite man cannot reason up to God, apart from God's help. It is God who is infinite, who is able to supply us with a limited experience that we, as finite human beings, can know is God. To know truth we must receive divine revelation, assuming that it is really there to begin with.

Reactions: Lambano

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was not expecting this type of response. I thought my cover was already blown....;)
I was very interested in what you posted, even the "cover blown" comment, but just couldn't quite push the 'like'. Don't want to mislead people into thinking I'm agreeing with something 'wrong'....like that could ever happen here. :r.u.n:
Your post intrigued me. :Broadly:
I don't believe your understanding of kenosis in Phi 2:6-7 is what scripture had in mind.
I hear your 'opinion' on kenosis and I guess I'm still leaning on my 'opinion'. So push me, why do you think my understanding is wrong?
He was a humble servant and yielded his will over to his Father, emptied himself of his own desires. He learned this as he grew and matured to become truly the Son of God.

Thanks for your post.
Agree-ing with the above....but; "emptied himself of his own desires"? Would you say that's as 'pre-incarnate LOGOS'.....or as 'carnate LOGOS'?

'Covers off', the Father and the LOGOS and the Holy Spirit would have all had ONE desire IMO. Do you disagree?

Thank you for your post....too.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is in heaven?

What does it mean, "goes to heaven"? Please use Scripture.

If you use Scripture, and believe what it says, you may find all that messiness you see all cleaned up.
There is the messiness I was referring to.
- Is there consensus on who is in heaven? If anyone.
- Not sure of any scripture that tells us what "goes to heaven" means,
- I said it was messy. Why should the burden of proof be on me?

Can you demonstrate that "Who goes to heaven?" is not messy?

/

Reactions: Hillsage

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
""""Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ (The Holy Spirit) does not belong to him.""

"""""Now the Lord is that = Spirit, (The Holy Spirit) and where the Spirit of the Lord is, (The Holy Spirit).... there is freedom."""""
Joh 1. does not say;

JOH 1:14 And the WORD and (THE HOLY SPIRIT) was made JESUS, and dwelt among us, .....

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Words greatly impact a lot of peoples lives daily, by and through the nature of the world, and by nature of the spirit by the heavenly attributes of the holy spirit of Yahava within a person.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the messiness I was referring to.
- Is there consensus on who is in heaven? If anyone.
- Not sure of any scripture that tells us what "goes to heaven" means,
- I said it was messy. Why should the burden of proof be on me?

Can you demonstrate that "Who goes to heaven?" is not messy?

/
I'm just asking you to clarify your question, and to use Scripture, if, that's what we're talking about. The messiness is what you are bringing into it.

You've asserted that Truth is Messy. OK, I disagree. I find simplicity, and harmony, and sense. Beauty. Not a mess.

You think you've got a "gotcha" question. But it's intentionally oversimplistic. If you look at the Scriptures which speak of us in relation to heaven, you've find your answer in very simple terms. But if you want to just make it look all messy by using these kinds of questions, but not go the the Bible, you can do that.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Godslittleservant

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss the Logos as what it means before the Logos became flesh. (and dwelt among us)
In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God, and the Logos was God. (John 1:1)

This tells three things about the Logos.
1) The Logos was from the beginning.
2) The Logos was with God.
3) The Logos was God.

Our knee-jerk thought is to jump to the meaning that Christ was the Logos.
Which is true by extension. But what was the Logos BEFORE the Logos became flesh?

Strong's Greek 3056 3056. logos Strong's Concordance logos: a word (as embodying an idea)

I want to focus on this "as embodying an idea" definition.
The Logos as embodying an idea, the logic, the reason, the meaning.

So, returning to the topic title question: Is the Logos meaningful, or meaningless?
Especially as it relates to all of humankind.

Was God's plan (Logos) from the beginning to be meaningful, or meaningless?
Or, more to the point, would the plan be meaningful to all of humankind, or only to a select minority?

Was the plan inclusive, or exclusive? (to the majority)
Can we rate an exclusive plan as good, or evil?

Meaningful = has value
Meaningless = has no value

Is the Logos meaningful, or meaningless?

--- ADDENDUM ---

/
Jesus Christ is not a lexical definition of logos. The verse does not say "In the beginning was Jesus." The "Word" is not synonymous with Jesus, or even the "Messiah." The word logos in John 1:1 refers to God's creative self-expression... His reason, purpose and plans, especially as they are brought into action. It refers to God's self-expression or communication of Himself. This has come to pass through His creation and especially the heavens. It has come through the spoken word of the prophets and through Scripture. Most notably it has come into being through His Son. The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

If we understand that the logos is God's expression... His plan, purpose, reason and wisdom. Then it is clear they were with Him "in the beginning." Scripture says God's wisdom was "from the beginning" and it was common in Hebrew writing to personify a concept such as wisdom. The fact that the logos "became" flesh shows it did not exist that way before. There is no pre-existence for Jesus in this verse other than his figurative "existence" as the plan, purpose or wisdom of God for the salvation of man. The same is true with the "word" in writing. It had no literal pre-existence as a "spirit-book" somehow in eternity past, but came into being as God gave the revelation to people and they wrote it down.

• Love

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who goes to heaven?
Nobody goes to Heaven.

21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. (Revelation 21:1-3)​
Heaven comes down here.

(But don't tell anybody. It's a secret.)

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just asking you to clarify your question, and to use Scripture, if, that's what we're talking about. The messiness is what you are bringing into it.

You've asserted that Truth is Messy. OK, I disagree. I find simplicity, and harmony, and sense. Beauty. Not a mess.

If you look at the Scriptures which speak of us in relation to heaven, you've find your answer in very simple terms. But if you want to just make it look all messy by using these kinds of questions, but not go the the Bible, you can do that.

Much love!
Your position is that the truth isn't messy.
I posed a question that will reveal how messy it is.
"Who goes to heaven?"
You have avoided the question. And the associated mess.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is not a lexical definition of logos. The verse does not say "In the beginning was Jesus." The "Word" is not synonymous with Jesus, or even the "Messiah." The word logos in John 1:1 refers to God's creative self-expression... His reason, purpose and plans, especially as they are brought into action. It refers to God's self-expression or communication of Himself. This has come to pass through His creation and especially the heavens. It has come through the spoken word of the prophets and through Scripture. Most notably it has come into being through His Son. The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

If we understand that the logos is God's expression... His plan, purpose, reason and wisdom. Then it is clear they were with Him "in the beginning." Scripture says God's wisdom was "from the beginning" and it was common in Hebrew writing to personify a concept such as wisdom. The fact that the logos "became" flesh shows it did not exist that way before. There is no pre-existence for Jesus in this verse other than his figurative "existence" as the plan, purpose or wisdom of God for the salvation of man. The same is true with the "word" in writing. It had no literal pre-existence as a "spirit-book" somehow in eternity past, but came into being as God gave the revelation to people and they wrote it down.
Good post thanks.
Please note that it is very difficult to read the light blue text.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody goes to Heaven.
Yes. It's messy.
Generations spend their entire lives thinking they are heaven-bound.
Only to discover that we aren't going anywhere.

Seems that Islam has a better plan in this regard.
Available at a Mosque near you.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heaven comes down here.

(But don't tell anybody. It's a secret.)
A very curious thing.
I did the math once to find out big the New Jerusalem was. (coming down to earth)
A gigantic cube that would cover much of the USA if it landed there.
Some 2,000 miles in every direction, if memory serves.
The top would actually break through our current atmosphere.

I imagine the new earth would have to be significantly larger to house
such a structure and maintain its balance. It's messy. - LOL

/

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very curious thing.
I did the math once to find out big the New Jerusalem was. (coming down to earth)
A gigantic cube that would cover much of the USA if it landed there.
Some 2,000 miles in every direction, if memory serves.
The top would actually break through our current atmosphere.

I imagine the new earth would have to be significantly larger to house
such a structure and maintain its balance. It's messy. - LOL

/
Reminds me of what Jesus said,

There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of what Jesus said,

There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
It is sad that the translators can't just seem to translate words consistently; That Greek word is only in the NT 2 times and both are in this chapter.

JOH 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions/MONE: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
JOH 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode/MONE with him.

3438 mone: a staying, i.e. residence (the act or the place): abode, mansion

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your position is that the truth isn't messy.
I posed a question that will reveal how messy it is.
"Who goes to heaven?"
You have avoided the question. And the associated mess.

/
Again.

You've asked a Biblically based question yet without Scriptural definition, and you refuse to go to the Scriptures to bring clarity to your question. You are intentionally making this "messy" to prove your point.

Totally disengenous.

If you know the truth, the truth will make you free, not messed up.

Maybe the take-away here is, you find your discussions with others about Biblical doctrine to be messy. Truth is not messy.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.