Is The Sermon on the Mount Instructional or Informational?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that all that it is?

Is that all that the Bible says it is?

I think that Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount as a code of conduct for those who would believe in Him...not only in the millennial period; but for all those who will ever read the Sermon on the Mount.

Your teaching effectively denies that the Sermon on the Mount is to be obeyed by us today.

And that, my friend, is not a scriptural teaching (see Matthew 7:24-27).

I never said we cannot apply it to our lives, but specifically it was a teaching for Israel and how to live in the millenial kingdom!

Just like the OT teachings. We can apply them to our lives but they also belonged to whom God addressed them to.

We must remember that the gospels and ACTS are transitional books. They describe the history of Israel being told Here Messiah was present, they rejecting HIm, then the mystery form of the kingdom to be established (the church). Acts more so in teh early going when the gospel went to Israel alone and then god raised Paul up to go to the Gentiles and establish the church in gentile lands.

You can think I am building on sand- but you would be wrong.

See I know that all Scripture is equally inspired by god, but not all SCripture is equally applicable to all people at all times.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you remember any examples of application of Jesus' teachings in his Sermon?

If you have no specific examples to be cited, then any claim of definite application is false.

Which kinds of applications would you like?

We are called to be peacemakers- we are called to suffer for His name etc.

But do you believe we first must understand Scripture in the context it was written in?

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which kinds of applications would you like?

We are called to be peacemakers- we are called to suffer for His name etc.

But do you believe we first must understand Scripture in the context it was written in?

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claimed that the Sermon on the Mount guides Believers today. I would like to know what it has guided you to do more than to think and talk about it.

And, tell me how you have suffered for the name of Jesus.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said we cannot apply it to our lives, but specifically it was a teaching for Israel and how to live in the millennial <fify> kingdom!

Just like the OT teachings. We can apply them to our lives but they also belonged to whom God addressed them to.

We must remember that the gospels and ACTS are transitional books. They describe the history of Israel being told Here Messiah was present, they rejecting HIm, then the mystery form of the kingdom to be established (the church). Acts more so in teh early going when the gospel went to Israel alone and then god raised Paul up to go to the Gentiles and establish the church in gentile lands.

You can think I am building on sand- but you would be wrong.

See I know that all Scripture is equally inspired by god, but not all SCripture is equally applicable to all people at all times.

Your statements imply that we do not need to apply the principles of the Sermon on the Mount to our lives; and this is a dangerous doctrine.

For, according to Matthew 7:24-27, if we fail to obey these principles, our house is built on sand (I am not wrong; for the scripture substantiates my position) and our house will fall and great will be the fall of it.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was in Celebrate Recovery, the 8 beatitudes from the sermon the mount were the foundation for the 8 recovery steps. It has made a huge difference in my life personally. Im not sure who all He was talking to. I just know I am grateful for them. And welcome to CB!

downloadfile-14.jpg

Reactions: justbyfaith

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Jesus is our Lord we follow what he says. Even so, I agree with @Barbara , that Jesus was drawing a contrast between behavior and attitude. We do well to understand why God gave certain laws and in the process learn more about the kind of God we serve.

Suppose, for instance that a father tells his son not to swing the baseball bat in the house. His son asks, "why father?" His father tells him, "swinging the baseball batt in the house might damage property or hurt people."

One day a fire breaks out in the house and the only means of escape is to break a window with the baseball bat. When the father and son meet outside, safe from the fire, the father says "son, I am proud of what you did today." His son asks, "why father? I disobeyed your command against swinging the baseball bat in the house." The father says, "Yes, that is true. But you also learned to value life more than property and didn't hesitate to make that decision."

When we read and study the Sermon on the Mount, we are coming to understand the father better, what he values, and what he loves. And he expects us to learn wisdom and act in ways that emulate his values.
You do not know what "We" do. Please stop using your imagination. Do you understand what I just said?

Now, tell us how YOU emulate His ways.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Sermon on the Mount:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:17‭-‬19 KJV

This, for example also, applies to all of us.

Reactions: justbyfaith

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also think we are the light of the world for example, since this is mentioned in other areas of the Bible as well. Like Paul taught, "Walk in the light, as He is in the light." The teaching about anger and forgiveness is also taught in Matthew 18. Jesus was very much talking to His disciples. So are you all disciples of Jesus? I am! I will follow. Informational/instructional/ most importantly, applicable.

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Sermon on the Mount:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:17‭-‬19 KJV

This, for example also, applies to all of us.
Tell us how it applies to you rather than how you imagine it applies to "Us."

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell us how it applies to you rather than how you imagine it applies to "Us."

I follow God's commandments and I teach them. My reward is greater in Heaven, but I do it to be the light of the world as Christ taught. First and foremost greatest commandment is to love God, and the second is to love others as Himself.

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I follow God's commandments and I teach them. My reward is greater in Heaven, but I do it to be the light of the world as Christ taught. First and foremost greatest commandment is to love God, and the second is to love others as Himself.
Tell us what you do to follow God's Commands. Thinking about them and talking about them are not the same as following them.

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I have no idea what you just said. If you want to say something, just say it.
Okay. I will try this.

There is no reason to think you personally have the ability or the position to speak for other people by saying "We."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your statements imply that we do not need to apply the principles of the Sermon on the Mount to our lives; and this is a dangerous doctrine.

For, according to Matthew 7:24-27, if we fail to obey these principles, our house is built on sand (I am not wrong; for the scripture substantiates my position) and our house will fall and great will be the fall of it.

Well I told you I didn't imply that so that should end the question. If you wish to imply I am still suggesting that- then you are doing so based on a lie you hatched and not me.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I told you I didn't imply that so that should end the question. If you wish to imply I am still suggesting that- then you are doing so based on a lie you hatched and not me.
Did you or did you not say that the Sermon on the Mount is intended as a doctrine for the millennial kingdom only? (You at least implied that if you did not say it outright.)

If that is the case then it is not for today; and that is what you seem to me to have implied. If you really did not imply that then make your statement more clear so that everyone can see that you did not imply that.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you or did you not say that the Sermon on the Mount is intended as a doctrine for the millennial kingdom only? (You at least implied that if you did not say it outright.)

If that is the case then it is not for today; and that is what you seem to me to have implied. If you really did not imply that then make your statement more clear so that everyone can see that you did not imply that.

Yes for that is the context it is spoken in.

But that does not exclude us applying the principles taught to us by the sermon.

Do you follow the Kosher laws ? Of course we don't because they were given by god to Israel alone. We can choose to follow them, but it is not mandated.

What you will see is that nearly all the principles espoused in the beautitudes are given as commands to the church in the epistles.

Let me give you one example.

Blessed are teh peacemakes, for they shall be called the children of God.

The church are the children of God. Not because we are peacemakers, but because we were born from above!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. I will try this.

There is no reason to think you personally have the ability or the position to speak for other people by saying "We."
Why not? We do it all the time. Try being more specific. What did I say that doesn't apply universally?

Jacob28

Feb 14, 2021
NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not? We do it all the time. Try being more specific. What did I say that doesn't apply universally?
You stated, "We study the Scriptures," and "We strive to excel in the good."

Who are the "We" you claim to speak of, and how do you know what they are doing? Do you know the difference between theory and reality?