Is The World Flat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Angelina: "A friend of mine rang me and asked what I thought about the world/earth being flat because he knows a number of Christians [conspiracy theorists I think] who think that it is and that scientists really don't know...true story!"

Ok, you know someone who knows someone...

So, we have a word association between "Christian" and "flat earth."

Then you're adding "conspiracy theorists" to the word association based on "I think"; people you don't know.

There is a group who label themselves, "flat earth"; but they don't associate themselves with the word "Christian" at all.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Josho said:
i don't think there is anyone on these forums who think the world is flat, i guess we will just have to wait and see
Well, Josh, the individual who aroused our good Angelina's ire doesn't seem to be a member of this particular forum any longer.

Nor do I suspect we will see him around here again....at least, not under his former guise...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If the world was flat ther would be a lot of expensove cruise ships falling off the edge

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a couple of thoughts. First of all, it's hard for even a small group of people to keep a secret for any length of time. Last I heard, a couple of years ago there were around 7 million academic scientists in the world. Do you really think that many people could keep a secret and lie to us for all of these years?

But also, all you have to do is turn on your TV to experience a round earth. How could satellites go into orbit and work if the earth isn't round? Most people who promote the Flat Earth Society are not being serious. We're way past that now. Common people can fly around the earth and experience ending up back where they began.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
Someone asked me tonight if I thought that the world was flat because there are people out there who think that it is and that scientist are actually lying.

This is an interesting question, I remember as a child who had no idea about the world or what it looks like. As a matter of fact, I thought that there were only a few places in the world because we lived in a very isolated area with very little contact with others.

One night I had a vision where the Lord took me into space and I could see that it was indeed round and that it spun on an axis. We may not always have the truth out front but we can rely on our own personal experiences with the Lord as well.

Blessings!!!
Thanks for bringing this particular subject up, Angelina. Granted at first glance, the concept of a Flat Earth (FE) appears absolutely ludicrous. What are these crazy conspiratorial Luddites trying to do? Are they attempting to deny all of modern science and bring us back to the world of Middle Age superstition? Regardless, there is a burgeoning number of videos on YouTube which examine the FE world concept in minute detail. Interestingly, a large portion of the pro-FE believers are devout Christians and offer numerous scriptures, as well as scientific experiments, to support their terra-plane viewpoint.

Personally, I'm still in the investigation phase and have yet to fully mentally commit to the flat or globe world models. Though the more videos I watch on this subject and carefully begin to evaluate the validity of both opposing positions, the more the Flat Earth model seems increasingly more plausible.

The main obstacle in considering the Flat Earth model (besides not caring if you are laughed at) is overcoming the immense amount of mental conditioning (a.k.a. propaganda and cognitive dissonance) that we've been exposed to ever since we first saw a globe in Kindergarten class to the plethora of dazzling sci-fi media CGI spectacles on space travel we witness on a near daily basis.

Go ahead, take the plunge. Put "Flat Earth" in the YouTube search box, watch a few videos and share your experiences and thought explorations with us. For grins I'll take the Flat Earth ball-busting (pun intended) position in any ensuing discussions.

Reactions: Angelina

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Bible describes the Earth as an ornament hanging in space the Hebrew word in that regard basically means ball so although it may appear to us in relation to the size of the Earth to be flat and is definitely spherical. Now having said that I have seen it's supported that there are four corners to the Earth which would seem to indicate it is somehow Square? But I will stick with the pilots/astronauts who have been in space and have seen the round earth. :)

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
The Bible describes the Earth as an ornament hanging in space the Hebrew word in that regard basically means ball so although it may appear to us in relation to the size of the Earth to be flat and is definitely spherical. Now having said that I have seen it's supported that there are four corners to the Earth which would seem to indicate it is somehow Square? But I will stick with the pilots/astronauts who have been in space and have seen the round earth. :)
Could you cite the chapter & verse for your "ornament hanging in space" biblical Hebrew reference, Stan?

In the beginning Gen.1:6-8 and Gen. 1:14-17 God placed the earth in a "firmament" between the waters above and the waters below. The Sun & moon, i.e., "lights" were also positioned in the firmament. Could this refer to a type of tent or impenetrable dome covering above the earth similar to the foursquare tabernacle design which was revealed to Moses in the wilderness?

Regarding the testimony of recent 'space cadets' what makes their eyewitness more credible than that of our physical senses which detect absolutely no daily motion whatsoever of our earthly environment? How is it that pilots manually maintain a consistent flight altitude without constantly dropping the nose of their aircraft to compensate for the supposed curvature of the globe?

Amos 9:6 declares that God poured the waters upon the earth. Water always seeks to maintain a horizontal level position. Does it not? Just how does water bend around the curvature of a ball?

1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
Could you cite the chapter & verse for your "ornament hanging in space" biblical Hebrew reference, Stan?
It's been a while since I studied this but you can see a reference to a circle in Isaiah 40:22

James Forthwright said:
In the beginning Gen.1:6-8 and Gen. 1:14-17 God placed the earth in a "firmament" between the waters above and the waters below. The Sun & moon, i.e., "lights" were also positioned in the firmament. Could this refer to a type of tent or impenetrable dome covering above the earth similar to the foursquare tabernacle design which was revealed to Moses in the wilderness?
Genesis 1:6-8 refers to a canopy of water that surrounded the Earth in the beginning and this water was what God used to flood the Earth during Noah's time.
The word firmament that you refer to was used in the King James version but in Modern English is translated as sky. So basically if you read the account of day two, you will see that God is separating the waters with sky that had water above it as a canopy and water below it that remained on the Earth.

James Forthwright said:
Regarding the testimony of recent 'space cadets' what makes their eyewitness more credible than that of our physical senses which detect absolutely no daily motion whatsoever of our earthly environment? How is it that pilots manually maintain a consistent flight altitude without constantly dropping the nose of their aircraft to compensate for the supposed curvature of the globe?
While in orbit, the space shuttle travels around Earth at a speed of about 17,500 miles (28,000 kilometers) per hour. At this speed, the crew can see a sunrise or sunset every 45 minutes. You can find all these facts at space.com.

James Forthwright said:
Amos 9:6 declares that God poured the waters upon the earth. Water always seeks to maintain a horizontal level position. Does it not? Just how does water bend around the curvature of a ball?
Actually it says the face of the land, but regardless you seem to forget that we have laws such as gravity and adhesion. These are laws that God created so if you want an explanation as to how these laws work you can ask a scientist or ask our Creator. I don't really worry much about them, I just know they work.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
It's been a while since I studied this but you can see a reference to a circle in Isaiah 40:22
So, your initial comments concerning a particular Hebrew word relating to "an ornament hanging in space" was apparently only an unsubstantiated vague recollection of something you learned a long time ago and was essentially pulled out of thin air?
Here is what the Amplified Bible states regarding Isaiah 40:22-23
Isa 40:22 It is God Who sits above the circle (the horizon) of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; it is He Who stretches out the heavens like [gauze] curtains and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in,
Isa 40:23 Who brings dignitaries to nothing, Who makes the judges and rulers of the earth as chaos (emptiness, falsity, and futility).

I might also add that besides “judges and rulers of this earth” the wild-eyed theories of white lab coat scientists might likewise be included to the list of vain earthly prognosticators. Are not these the same supposed intellects that gave us the “Big Bang “ universe creation nonsense and the theory of man’s evolution from apes?
StanJ said:
Genesis 1:6-8 refers to a canopy of water that surrounded the Earth in the beginning and this water was what God used to flood the Earth during Noah's time.
OK, I’m in full agreement with this declaration. However, was this vast water canopy completely emptied upon the earth during the deluge or were the floodgates merely divinely opened for 40 days and then closed after the last terrestrial creature (besides Noah & co.) expired?
StanJ said:
The word firmament that you refer to was used in the King James version but in Modern English is translated as sky. So basically if you read the account of day two, you will see that God is separating the waters with sky that had water above it as a canopy and water below it that remained on the Earth.
Are Modern English translations always superior to the KJV (or the original Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic for that matter) in how they define the scriptural text? Since you seem to prefer modern translations, here’s another; the NASB states:
Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

Might not “the sky” be contained and encapsulated under an invisible dome (or firmament) through which we may glimpse the heavens but never penetrate (until the Day of the LORD)?

StanJ said:
While in orbit, the space shuttle travels around Earth at a speed of about 17,500 miles (28,000 kilometers) per hour. At this speed, the crew can see a sunrise or sunset every 45 minutes. You can find all these facts at space.com.
You’ve yet to explain how the earth’s rotational, orbital and galaxy expanding motion cannot be perceived at all by our physical senses? In lieu of such explanations, you can only refer the reader to some government sanctioned website. We all know our government would never deliberately lie to us. Right, Stan?
It’s been over 50 YEARS since Sputnik and the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects yet in that time all that has been accomplished since then (besides successfully bilking the populace for billions of tax dollars for fanciful NASA space adventures) are repetitive high orbital Space Shuttle flights and supposed video footage from remotely-controlled robots on Mars. Oh, and I mustn’t forget all those spectacular CGI images of spectacular space walks and Hubbel telescope images (which with a budget of billions of dollars could easily be computer fabricated on a blue screen).
I would also appreciate it if you would answer my previous questions as to how a pilot manually maintains level flight on a globe without having to constantly downwardly adjusting the aircraft's flaps?
StanJ said:
Actually it says the face of the land, but regardless you seem to forget that we have laws such as gravity and adhesion. These are laws that God created so if you want an explanation as to how these laws work you can ask a scientist or ask our Creator. I don't really worry much about them, I just know they work.
How does water curve? Why… uh… it’s all explained by Gravity (which modern science still can’t accurately define or replicate) and complicated Adhesion principles. Here’s a few calculus derivatives and physics theorems for you to ponder while I practice my PhotoShop image manipulation techniques on these wonderful “space photos” . . . Sorry Stan, I ain’t buying it!

As previously stated, Experience has demonstrated that I cannot solely trust the word of scientists. Our Creator has instilled in our renewed minds an insatiable quest for absolute TRUTH. I’ve come to the conclusion that much of what we’ve been instructed and indoctrinated by the educational system does measure up to this elevated divine standard. Are we better off taking the word of scientists and their nebulous theories to thoroughly explain our environment or are we better served by believing the Word of God and our God-given senses and cognitive abilities to discern such matters?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
So, your initial comments concerning a particular Hebrew word relating to "an ornament hanging in space" was apparently only an unsubstantiated vague recollection of something you learned a long time ago and was essentially pulled out of thin air? Here is what the Amplified Bible states;
Well let's see how good you are when you're 62 years of age and most of your learning is behind you. I've been studying the Bible for over 45 years old if you don't believe me then find it out for yourself. It's not vague or unsubstantiated but judging from the tone of your post I'm lothe to give you anything that you're going to dismiss out-of-hand anyway. The Amplified Bible adds to the inspired text so I don't really consider it anything more than a book for people who don't really understand basic English. In my opinion the translators of such modern English versions as the NASB, NET, NIV and the rest, did a good job at translating the Greek and Hebrew properly and faithfully. All the Amplified does is cause distractions for people like you who equivocate and prevaricate about what the word of God does say.

James Forthwright said:
I might also add that besides “judges and rulers of this earth” the wild-eyed theories of white lab coat scientists might likewise be included to the list of vain earthly prognosticators. Are not these the same supposed intellects that gave us the “Big Bang “ universe creation nonsense and the theory of man’s evolution from apes?
Please try to stay on track and not run off down these rabbit trails... they're irrelevant.

James Forthwright said:
OK, I’m in full agreement with this declaration. However, was this vast water canopy completely emptied upon the earth during the deluge or were the floodgates merely divinely opened for 40 days and then closed after the last terrestrial creature (besides Noah & co.) expired?
I really don't try to speculate on what God did or what transpired when he did it. I just read the word of God and see what it says and it doesn't really take a lot to see the simplicity of what God did in Genesis 1. I never did read it with a predetermined point of view. I learned from it after I got saved. As a matter of fact the more I read it with acceptance and faith In my heart, the clearer it became. I didn't try to pick it apart before I actually knew and understood what it said.

James Forthwright said:
Are Modern English translations always superior to the KJV (or the original Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic for that matter) in how they define the scriptural text?
For the most part YES.

James Forthwright said:
Since you seem to prefer modern translations, here’s another; the NASB states:Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.Might not “the sky” be contained and encapsulated under an invisible dome (or firmament) through which we may glimpse the heavens but never penetrate (until the Day of the LORD)?
Yes I do, and you should too unless of course you were born in the early sixteen-hundreds and are completely literate in Elizabethan English? Sky is the Modern English word for firmament, and as I just pointed out the canopy was above the sky so yes this guy was surrounded by water. You agree with this and yet you don't agree with this, I'm not really sure what you're getting at here? We know that there is nothing above the sky anymore because many astronauts have been there so unless you're trying to tell us that you think there's a conspiracy by all astronauts from all countries that have participated then your real problem must be one of conspiracy and I don't really do well with conspiracy theorists because they never have any facts just the whole lot of accusations and innuendo.

James Forthwright said:
You’ve yet to explain how the earth’s rotational, orbital and galaxy expanding motion cannot be perceived at all by our physical senses? In lieu of such explanations, you can only refer the reader to some government sanctioned website. We all know our government would never deliberately lie to us. Right, Stan?It’s been over 50 YEARS since Sputnik and the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects yet in that time all that has been accomplished since then (besides successfully bilking the populace for billions of tax dollars for fanciful NASA space adventures) are repetitive high orbital Space Shuttle flights and supposed video footage from remotely-controlled robots on Mars. Oh, and I mustn’t forget all those spectacular CGI images of spectacular space walks and Hubbel telescope images (which with a budget of billions of dollars could easily be computer fabricated on a blue screen).I would also appreciate it if you would answer my previous questions as to how a pilot manually maintains level flight on a globe without having to constantly downwardly adjusting the aircraft's flaps?
This isn't a science class and most of us know all about those things from grade school or high school science. Did you not go to grade school and high school? Not only are you sounding more and more and conspiratorial you're starting to sound like a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I think it's best that we just stay on track with the subject and not deviate to all your pet peeves.

James Forthwright said:
How does water curve? Why… uh… it’s all explained by Gravity (which modern science still can’t accurately define or replicate) and complicated Adhesion principles. Here’s a few calculus derivatives and physics theorems for you to ponder while I practice my PhotoShop image manipulation techniques on these wonderful “space photos” . . . Sorry Stan, I ain’t buying it!As previously stated, Experience has demonstrated that I cannot solely trust the word of scientists. Our Creator has instilled in our renewed minds an insatiable quest for absolute TRUTH. I’ve come to the conclusion that much of what we’ve been instructed and indoctrinated by the educational system does measure up to this elevated divine standard. Are we better off taking the word of scientists and their nebulous theories to thoroughly explain our environment or are we better served by believing the Word of God and our God-given senses and cognitive abilities to discern such matters?
I tell you what, grab yourself a half a glass of water, go up to your toilet, lift up the seat, slowly pour the water on the edge of the toilet and just observe adhesion for yourself, and you'll see how water curves. I don't really care if you buy it or not because I don't sell to conspiratorial lunatics. Considering the number of posts you have on here and when you first came on here it appears that you only come on here too cause conflict and then run away, but I'm not interested at all in contributing to what you're trying to push here. I suggest you stop doing the drugs that are making you paranoid or start taking ones that will stop your paranoia. The issue is not me, I believe in the word of God, it's you not believing in the word of God and taking it for face value, and you're trying to quantify and qualify everything that God's word says instead of just accepting it outright and believing it. God does not conspire against us, only the father of lies conspires against the children of God.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Well let's see how good you are when you're 62 years of age and most of your learning is behind you.
I'll be celebrating my 64th birthday in August and I'm more inquisitive and passionate for learning than ever. The real problem with the education system today is they are quite adept at teaching someone WHAT TO THINK and completely ignore the fundamentals of HOW TO THINK. If we are to continue this Flat Earth discussion let's both try make a concerted effort to ratchet down the rhetoric.
StanJ said:
For the most part YES.
Yes I do, and you should too unless of course you were born in the early sixteen-hundreds and are completely literate in Elizabethan English?
Admittedly, there is a distinct lengthy learning curve required to properly understand the King James English Bible. However, the effort is worth it and once acquired there is a certain grace and literary beauty to Elizabethan English. For instance, no modern translations IMO really compare to the 23rd Psalm in the KJV. After reading earlier English works by Geoffrey Chaucer the King's English is quite a bit easier to comprehend.
I'm not a proponent of KJV only. My e-Sword Bible on my laptop has 21 different versions from which I consult from time to time. Each of these varied translations have their individual positive and negative traits. The KJV, however, remains my personal favorite translation for study since I first began studying the Scriptures in the mid 1970's..

StanJ said:
Sky is the Modern English word for firmament, and as I just pointed out the canopy was above the sky so yes this guy was surrounded by water. You agree with this and yet you don't agree with this, I'm not really sure what you're getting at here? We know that there is nothing above the sky anymore because many astronauts have been there so unless you're trying to tell us that you think there's a conspiracy by all astronauts from all countries that have participated then your real problem must be one of conspiracy and I don't really do well with conspiracy theorists because they never have any facts just the whole lot of accusations and innuendo.
Conspiracies have existed for thousands of years. The Jews conspired to kill our Savior. They also conspired to kill the prophets and Christian martyrs.
Do you doubt that conspiracies still exist and may be prevalent in these end times?

StanJ said:
I tell you what, grab yourself a half a glass of water, go up to your toilet, lift up the seat, slowly pour the water on the edge of the toilet and just observe adhesion for yourself, and you'll see how water curves. I don't really care if you buy it or not because I don't sell to conspiratorial lunatics. God does not conspire against us, only the father of lies conspires against the children of God.
I tried your experiment. An insignificant small portion of water remained on the seat the rest slid off and remained flat in the bowl. NONE of the water stuck to the bottom of the lid as the Ball Earthers believe occurs in the oceans of the Southern hemisphere.
True, however we currently reside in a spiritually foreign locale where the Holy Scriptures plainly tell us that "god of this world" (Satan) 2Cor 4:4 goes about blinding people's minds and seeking those whom he may devour with his lies and prevarications. When Christ walked among us two thousand years ago the Flat Earth model was the dominant teaching of the day. Jesus stated nothing to contradict that basic teaching. All I'm asking is for you to re-examine this topic from a new perspective, watch a few Flat Earth videos and then discuss this topic. I admit to possessing a keen conspiratorial mindset however, I'd rather rely on my God-given senses and question everything mankind teaches than swallow a single falsehood from a slick CGI space presentation couched in scientific jargon.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You guys have a few years tucked under your belts ~ however, it's good to know that people still question the status quo. PS; Didn't Christopher Columbus prove that the world was indeed spherical when he traveled around the world? :huh:

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
You guys have a few years tucked under your belts ~ however, it's good to know that people still question the status quo. PS; Didn't Christopher Columbus prove that the world was indeed spherical when he traveled around the world? :huh:
Columbus only sailed from Europe to North America across the Atlantic Ocean. It was Ferdinand Magellan's expedition that was credited with sailing around the world.

Ma·gel·lan ( m…-jµl“…n), Ferdinand . 1480?-1521 1. Portuguese navigator. While trying to find a western route to the Moluccas (1519), Magellan and his expedition were blown by storms into the strait that now bears his name (1520). He named and sailed across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the Marianas and the Philippines (1521), where he was killed fighting for a friendly native king. One of his ships returned to Spain (1522), thereby completing the first circumnavigation of the globe. --The American Heritage Dictionary

Magellan's voyage was certainly amazing in many respects. In and of itself, though it does not necessarily negate the Flat Earth model. Most Flat Earther's believe that the earth is disk shaped something like what is pictured on the United Nations logo. Magellan could have just as well completed his circular voyage around a disk than a globe.

As an introduction to Flat Earth I highly recommend checking out a few of Rob Skiba Youtube videos. He's a life long Christian missionary and well-spoken and possesses an astute mind.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
I'll be celebrating my 64th birthday in August and I'm more inquisitive and passionate for learning than ever.
Too bad your inquisitive nature isn't leading you into the truth and God's word.

James Forthwright said:
If we are to continue this Flat Earth discussion let's both try make a concerted effort to ratchet down the rhetoric.Admittedly, there is a distinct lengthy learning curve required to properly understand the King James English Bible. However, the effort is worth it and once acquired there is a certain grace and literary beauty to Elizabethan English. For instance, no modern translations IMO really compare to the 23rd Psalm in the KJV. After reading earlier English works by Geoffrey Chaucer the King's English is quite a bit easier to comprehend.I'm not a proponent of KJV only. My e-Sword Bible on my laptop has 21 different versions from which I consult from time to time. Each of these varied translations have their individual positive and negative traits. The KJV, however, remains my personal favorite translation for study since I first began studying the Scriptures in the mid 1970's..
You seem to have a misconception of the word rhetoric? It connotes the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques. Given all the modern versions we do have, that are much more accurate and functionally equivalent then the KJV is, I fail to understand why anybody would want to use it to understand? However I know a lot of people use it because for some reason they think it's the only Bible that is inspired. They are called KLV Onlyers. A rather disturbing group of people. You use e-Sword on a laptop? Your opinions made it sound like you weren't really into any kind of technological science. You know like spaceships circling the earth, landing on the moon, things of that nature. I started studying the Bible in 1971 and that used the best English translation that was available at the time which was the JB Phillips Edition of the New Testament.

James Forthwright said:
Conspiracies have existed for thousands of years. The Jews conspired to kill our Savior. They also conspired to kill the prophets and Christian martyrs.Do you doubt that conspiracies still exist and may be prevalent in these end times?
Yes they have and so have conspiracy theorists. The issues is not the conspiracies themselves which are eventually discovered as they manifest themselves.
The issue is the conspiracy theorist who always have some convoluted way of arriving at their conclusions. The mental gymnastics you there in is astounding.

James Forthwright said:
I tried your experiment. An insignificant small portion of water remained on the seat the rest slid off and remained flat in the bowl. NONE of the water stuck to the bottom of the lid as the Ball Earthers believe occurs in the oceans of the Southern hemisphere.
You did it wrong so read my post again. I didn't say an insignificant amount of water, I said a small glass of water and pour it on the edge of the toilet bowl itself not the seat and see how it runs off either side and remains adhered do this outside surface or inside surface of the bowl. Angelina lives in the Southern Hemisphere and I'm sure she would be happy to tell us if what you're asserting is true or not. Angelina?

James Forthwright said:
True, however we currently reside in a spiritually foreign locale where the Holy Scriptures plainly tell us that "god of this world" (Satan) 2Cor 4:4 goes about blinding people's minds and seeking those whom he may devour with his lies and prevarications. When Christ walked among us two thousand years ago the Flat Earth model was the dominant teaching of the day. Jesus stated nothing to contradict that basic teaching. All I'm asking is for you to re-examine this topic from a new perspective, watch a few Flat Earth videos and then discuss this topic. I admit to possessing a keen conspiratorial mindset however, I'd rather rely on my God-given senses and question everything mankind teaches than swallow a single falsehood from a slick CGI space presentation couched in scientific jargon.
Actually refers to the 'god of this age' can you appear to be mixing up two different parts of scripture? The first part of the above is 2 cor 4 4 but the second part is found in 1 Peter 5:8.

James Hannam wrote:

The myth that people in the Middle Ages thought the Earth is flat appears to date from the 17th century as part of the campaign by Protestants against Catholic teaching. But it gained currency in the 19th century, thanks to inaccurate histories such as John William Draper's History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science (1874) and Andrew Dickson White's A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom (1896). Atheists and agnostics championed the conflict thesis for their own purposes, but historical research gradually demonstrated that Draper and White had propagated more fantasy than fact in their efforts to prove that science and religion are locked in eternal conflict.

This myth of flat earth was only really created in the seventeenth Century but never existed back in biblical times. Man who knew and read the Bible Noah God said about the Earth and could see for themselves that the moon and the sun were round.

Augustine wrote:

… although it be supposed or scientifically demonstrated that the world is of a round and spherical form, yet it does not follow that the other side of the earth is bare of water; nor even, though it be bare, does it immediately follow that it is peopled.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
From a local perspective, its flat, but the bigger picture presents a completely different point of view.

If you start walking, and 25000 miles later you end up in the same place, its safe to presume your on a sphere.
I speak from experience, I've been walking in circles my whole life :)

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan57 said:
From a local perspective, its flat, but the bigger picture presents a completely different point of view.

If you start walking, and 25000 miles later you end up in the same place, its safe to presume your on a sphere.
I speak from experience, I've been walking in circles my whole life :)
Good one Dan57! Yes, the local perspective does indeed appear to positively validate the Flat Earth view. There have been experimental tests using lasers and high power optics that confirm the FE world view.

There are a numerous problems with high altitude observations:

1. Supposed earth curvature can not be detected with the naked eye from the cruising altitudes of aircraft (~20-30,000 feet). There are limitations to our vision and distant parallel objects appear to converge to a "vanishing point". There are also testimonies of aircraft pilots stating that they never make flap adjustments for the curvature of the earth. The horizon always rises with them at every altitude and appears to be flat.
2. High altitude balloon flight images of the earth below are usually done with fish-eye lenses and the vertical axis fluctuates wildly and the horizon looks concave one instant, then flat, then convex.
3. Observations from satellites, the ISS or astronaut moon walkers do appear to validate the Spherical theory. However, upon closer inspection:
a. All of these awe-inspiring pictures have been obviously digitally manipulated, Videos are usually only short loops which are also subject to alteration. The contours and sizes of continents change from one mission to the next. Cloud formations are often identical cut 'n pasted, drastic color variations of oceans, continents, etc. After 50 years of space missions you'd think their would be much more photographic evidence but we see the same questionable CGI images over and over again.
b. It never occurs to "Moon walkers" to show us a 360 degree panoramic view and they have been shown in other videos attempting to "fake earth images" using camera shots through the round capsule windows from high obits when they are supposedly much further away approaching the moon. Mysteriously, there is ZERO footage of any astronaut initially opening the hatch from their pressurized air-filled capsule and entering the void of space. One would think this would be a spectacular momentous experience for any astronaut but it never occurs to them to capture the event on film. NASA now tells us the original moon landing video has been lost. . . How convenient!
c. The ISS weightless videos could also be done with a "zero gravity" plane and pieced together in sections. There is also a YouTube video of an ISS astronaut Tim Peake with a blue screen grid behind him as ex-President G.W. Bush in wheeled into NASA headquarters.
7. The Hubble telescope is never directed to the earth or moon landing sites.

I encourage everyone to view a few Flat Earth videos on YouTube and draw their own conclusions. Rob Skiba has made some very informative videos on this subject from a Christian perspective. Examine BOTH sides. Do your own investigation and you will be surprised at your findings.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How is it that pilots manually maintain a consistent flight altitude without constantly dropping the nose of their aircraft to compensate for the supposed curvature of the globe?
It is called gravity. its what makes us stick to this planet. Now since planes develop lift to fly , and lift is dependent on air pressure density, and because the world is round air density at any particular height( neglecting weather and season) should be constant. so the plane is simply following the curvature of the earth because of gravity and air pressure. Now some like me believe the world sucks, and that is why we stick to it, but that is another matter.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Oh.....my......goodness.

bear_facepalm_by_akgaimer-d3bkgsu.png

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
It is called gravity. its what makes us stick to this planet. Now since planes develop lift to fly , and lift is dependent on air pressure density, and because the world is round air density at any particular height( neglecting weather and season) should be constant. so the plane is simply following the curvature of the earth because of gravity and air pressure. Now some like me believe the world sucks, and that is why we stick to it, but that is another matter.
The effect of gravity seems to be the catch-all answer of the globists. Gravity somehow keeps trillions of tons of ocean water adhereing to the spinning, revolving ball but is easily overcome with a few wing strokes of a butterfly. What doesn't fit your explanation is why the plane will continue to fly flat & level no matter how much thrust is supplied by the engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.