Is The World Flat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Someone asked me tonight if I thought that the world was flat because there are people out there who think that it is and that scientist are actually lying.

This is an interesting question, I remember as a child who had no idea about the world or what it looks like. As a matter of fact, I thought that there were only a few places in the world because we lived in a very isolated area with very little contact with others.

One night I had a vision where the Lord took me into space and I could see that it was indeed round and that it spun on an axis. We may not always have the truth out front but we can rely on our own personal experiences with the Lord as well.

Blessings!!!

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
^ Example of a "Christian"? Is everything alright thirdeyezero? You don't sound like you used to...

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Using today's scientific practices, we might be able to come up with a good working flat-earth theory. Absolutely flat would be tough, but front and back with rounded edges, should be fairly easy.

We know from the Big Bang that we can pretend that 96% of the universe is fudge factors that change observation to match theory, as long as we put "dark" in front of the name; they really like to see that word.

It doesn't matter if our fudge factors are contrary to the laws of physics, or impossible to be anything that's known to exist; as long as we use the word "dark," that's the important point.

As an example of how this works; when you look through a telescope, you see a young universe because galaxies are moving too fast to be in sustained orbits, thus they can't be very old because they're flying apart.

So scientist added a fudge factor, something added to a theory to change observation to agree with the theory, called "dark matter" to fix what's known as the "missing mass problem." As long as you use the word "dark", you can have the fudge factor do anything you want.

To realise the power of the word "dark" in scientific theories, consider the Big Bang. The official name of the theory is; "Lambda-CDM model."

The Big Bang is named after its fudge factors; "Lambda" stands for "dark energy", and "CDM" stands for "cold dark matter."

At first it looks like there might be a problem if we had two different observers flying around the world in different directions; but that's simple. They're both seeing a different "event horizon" through "gravitational lensing" in a different "time-space matrix.'

We need to work the new hot word, "hologram" into the theory. According to the Frog (aka Stephen Hawking); a particle going into a black hole "store the information about the object in a two-dimensional hologram", and they pick it back up on the way out.

And here's the best part, we don't even need to consider proving this new flat-earth theory.

George Ellis and Joseph Silk might object; "They criticized a newfound willingness among some scientists to explicitly set aside the need for experimental confirmation of today’s most ambitious cosmic theories..."

Don't worry, "experimental confirmation" is considered silly in today's science.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well it has been proven with pictures taken from space and people having been up to space, i have had dreams before of floating around in space and seeing earth below me scary stuff, it was definitely round, i don't know about others, but i wouldn't want to be an astronaut.

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Josho said:
Well it has been proven with pictures taken from space and people having been up to space, i have had dreams before of floating around in space and seeing earth below me scary stuff, it was definitely round, i don't know about others, but i wouldn't want to be an astronaut.
I'm assuming this wasn't a serious question.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Oh Boy, I had to do something about the above post...that was uncalled for and sooo rude. :huh: However, some people really do believe that the world/earth is actually flat. No kidding!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Angelina said:
Oh Boy, I had to do something about the above post...that was uncalled for and sooo rude. :huh: However, some people really do believe that the world/earth is actually flat. No kidding!
Are you referring to my post?
I assure you, there was absolutely no intention to be rude.

Did you truly mean this question to be taken seriously?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No...not your post. It has been dealt with. :)

Did you truly mean this question to be taken seriously?
Yes...A friend of mine rang me and asked what I thought about the world/earth being flat because he knows a number of Christians [conspiracy theorists I think] who think that it is and that scientists really don't know...true story!

Reactions: JPPT1974

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There would be a lot of problems with a flat earth model. If gravity were strong enough to bend light and make some sort of optical illusion, we would all be crushed under our own weight.

Satellites would also run into trouble when their orbit flips to the other side of the flat earth.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Well if every time they're presented with information showing the earth is a sphere they respond "It's fake" (like some creationists do with fossils), there's not really much you can do, short of taking them up into space and letting them see for themselves.

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can guess to see if the world is flat. But only God knows what it is.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
In the bible it mentioned that the world was a "circle". I have two hypothesis for this,

1) The world indeed is a circle.
2) The bible did not told us everything, but told us partly so that we could figure out the rest on our own. What fun do we have if everything was told to us?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Angelina said:
No...not your post. It has been dealt with. :)
I think I know the post you mean.
I suspect that user won't be with us for very long...
Yes...A friend of mine rang me and asked what I thought about the world/earth being flat because he knows a number of Christians [conspiracy theorists I think] who think that it is and that scientists really don't know...true story!
Shades of Galileo!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
This is a good indication that being a Christian isn't necessarily an inoculation against lunacy. ^_^

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Angelina said:
What? you've never heard of the "Flat Earth Society? :huh:
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
I'd heard of them, of course...I always thought they were kinda like those folks who call themselves "Pastafarians" and worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
You know the kind of people I mean....young, sarcastic atheists who seem to exist for the sole purpose of mocking Christianity, especially on the internet.

I kinda suspect our late friend whose post you objected to (and rightly so!) belongs to such a group.
I'm still amazed that he dared such a thing in a thread started by a "Super Mod"....

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i don't think there is anyone on these forums who think the world is flat, i guess we will just have to wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.