Is there a higher walk for believers in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Again, for the gazillionth time. It's "in him"...

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are
in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Thanks but I mean practically. How does it work out in practice? Does it mean that you no longer have any conviction of sin?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore two natures can’t live in our spirit
I fully agree with this statement, however, not in the way you meant it, I think. Before Christ, our spirit was dead. Being in Christ, our spirit is alive, because we've been joined to Him Who Lives. Our spirit is therefore as He is, and there is no sin in Him.

However, we still live in our bodies.

Romans 7:16-25 KJV
16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21) I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23) But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24) O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

There is a war between the inner man and the body of flesh.

Much love!

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 7:17 KJV
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

What does he mean here, it is no more I, but sin that lives in me?

"No more I" means something changed, so, from what, to what? What was this change?

Much love!
He is saying that there is a power within him that he cannot control. He is describing the crisis of faith when a believer realizes that he is incapable of obeying God in his own strength.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he meant his life as a whole.. Including today..
1 Corinthians 4:4 KJV
For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

This is saying that Paul was not aware of any sins he was committing, though he didn't consider that he was the proper one to judge.

Much love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I fully agree with this statement, however, not in the way you meant it, I think. Before Christ, our spirit was dead. Being in Christ, our spirit is alive, because we've been joined to Him Who Lives. Our spirit is therefore as He is, and there is no sin in Him.

However, we still live in our bodies.
Before we became Born Again we were in darkness and sin..our spirit wasn’t dead, Gods word doesn’t say that, he says we were spiritually dead...therefore our spirit needs to be Born Again.

2 Corinthians 5:1-8 CEV​

Our bodies are like tents that we live in here on earth. But when these tents are destroyed, we know that God will give each of us a place to live. These homes will not be buildings someone has made, but they are in heaven and will last forever. While we are here on earth, we sigh because we want to live in that heavenly home. We want to put it on like clothes and not be naked. These tents we now live in are like a heavy burden, and we groan. But we don't do this just because we want to leave these bodies that will die. It is because we want to change them for bodies that will never die. God is the one who makes all this possible. He has given us his Spirit to make us certain he will do it. So always be cheerful! As long as we are in these bodies, we are away from the Lord. But we live by faith, not by what we see. We should be cheerful, because we would rather leave these bodies and be at home with the Lord.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you do not have it if you are a Christian walking in the spirit.
Do not have the flesh, is that what you mean to say?

We live in flesh bodies.

I think many believe the teaching they've received that flesh isn't actually flesh, and the body isn't actually the body.

Many who fashion themselves as "Bible teachers" actually teach that we should not believe the Bible itself, because the Bible uses words that mean one thing, but they "mean something else".

I find this routinely that unbiblical doctrines derive in someone claiming "it says THIS, but means THAT".

Much love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I believe God is teaching his word to us through each other...I’ve learnt a lot today, by reading other members posts...everyone imo...somewhere in their posts speak Gods word...none of us are without error at times are we....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is saying that there is a power within him that he cannot control. He is describing the crisis of faith when a believer realizes that he is incapable of obeying God in his own strength.
Romans 7:25 KJV
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

In his victory lap, he claimed that the mind serves the law of God but the flesh serves the law of sin. Yes, he's told us the victory, yet he still maintained that this is the battle, his current reality.

Romans 7:24 KJV
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Dead, yet not dead.

Sin brings death, and we've sinned, so we should be dead. Jesus came and died having not sinned, and invites us to share that death. A "surviveable death". We die in Him, so we are not ourselves destroyed by death.

We've been delivered from the power of the corruption in our bodies of flesh, yet we still live in them. So we are told to put off the old, and put on the new, and in so doing, live as the new people we are.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Corinthians 5:1-8 CEV​

Our bodies are like tents that we live in here on earth. But when these tents are destroyed, we know that God will give each of us a place to live. These homes will not be buildings someone has made, but they are in heaven and will last forever. While we are here on earth, we sigh because we want to live in that heavenly home. We want to put it on like clothes and not be naked. These tents we now live in are like a heavy burden, and we groan. But we don't do this just because we want to leave these bodies that will die. It is because we want to change them for bodies that will never die. God is the one who makes all this possible. He has given us his Spirit to make us certain he will do it. So always be cheerful! As long as we are in these bodies, we are away from the Lord. But we live by faith, not by what we see. We should be cheerful, because we would rather leave these bodies and be at home with the Lord.
I groan when I read translations like this one . . .

Much love!

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I groan when I read translations like this one . . .

Much love!
How about this scripture.LOL

2 Corinthians 5

King James Version

5 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him

• Love

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Would you mind defining that for me? Different people sometimes mean different things and I want to make sure I am reponding appropriately.

Much love!
OK, I see them as the ones in the 'lower walk' that is to say, they have not found out yet that they have not been operating in the power of God to overcome sin. It is often found out by experience rather than teaching.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I see them as the ones in the 'lower walk' that is to say, they have not found out yet that they have not been operating in the power of God to overcome sin. It is often found out by experience rather than teaching.
Then it sounds to me we are on the same page in this.

"it is no more I, but sin that lives in me", this is Paul explaining to a Christian who has not learned how to overcome sin, that sin no longer defines them, but remains in the flesh, after Paul himself has become a new creation. Is that right?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
All things are become new, but the body of flesh is not new. All things here must then be all things that are "me", though I still live in my body. Agree?

Much love!

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All things are become new, but the body of flesh is not new. All things here must them be all things that are "me", though I still live in my body. Agree?

Much love!
I’m not understanding your take on the body...

I’m in the Spirit Born Again of imperishable seed, what has my body/ flesh got to do with anything....my spirit is Born Again...?

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

died to sin' refers to all baptized believers, and that the words 'died to sin' refer to their experience of having ceased to live under the power of sin

I am now getting tired and confused...night,night.xox

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not understanding your take on the body...

I’m in the Spirit Born Again of imperishable seed, what has my body/ flesh got to do with anything....my spirit is Born Again...?

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

died to sin' refers to all baptized believers, and that the words 'died to sin' refer to their experience of having ceased to live under the power of sin

I am now getting tired and confused...night,night.xox
Just let me know when you want to get deeper into this.

Much love!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not have the flesh, is that what you mean to say?

We live in flesh bodies.

I think many believe the teaching they've received that flesh isn't actually flesh, and the body isn't actually the body.

Many who fashion themselves as "Bible teachers" actually teach that we should not believe the Bible itself, because the Bible uses words that mean one thing, but they "mean something else".

I find this routinely that unbiblical doctrines derive in someone claiming "it says THIS, but means THAT".

Much love!
I got into a a heated debate just a few weeks ago about using the same words that the Bible uses so we could understand what the Bible is saying. The debate was long and it went on and on and he never got it. He simply did not understand that there's no such thing as a Gentile Christian. He went on and on about all the Gentiles that he knows that are not Jewish who are Christian. He simply could not understand that the Bible does not talk like he does. For an example look at Romans 8...

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

The flesh here are those who have no spirit. They are not Christian.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

It's death to be carnally minded because that brain has no spirit.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Because they have no spirit if they are in the flesh. Now you can go ahead and say well, I'm a christian and I still have a body made of flesh. But the Bible does not talk like you do. And we are not trying to understand you when you talk. We are trying to understand the Bible when it talks.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just let me know when you want to get deeper into this.

Much love!
I got into a a heated debate just a few weeks ago about using the same words that the Bible uses so we could understand what the Bible is saying. The debate was long and it went on and on and he never got it. He simply did not understand that there's no such thing as a Gentile Christian. He went on and on about all the Gentiles that he knows that are not Jewish who are Christian. He simply could not understand that the Bible does not talk like he does. For an example look at Romans 8...

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

The flesh here are those who have no spirit. They are not Christian.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

It's death to be carnally minded because that brain has no spirit.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Because they have no spirit if they are in the flesh. Now you can go ahead and say well, I'm a christian and I still have a body made of flesh. But the Bible does not talk like you do. And we are not trying to understand you when you talk. We are trying to understand the Bible when it talks.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Brilliant Peter and 100% agree..Praise God!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks but I mean practically. How does it work out in practice? Does it mean that you no longer have any conviction of sin?
How can I have the conviction of sin and be made the righteousness of God at the same time?

2 Corinthians 5:21
...that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Again, "in him"

Status
Not open for further replies.