Is there a need for prophets in our modern world

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those of ancient times lacked libraries and books. They had no schools and lacked options when it came to learning.

Due to circumstances where they lacked direct access to information and knowledge, they desperately needed prophets to inform, educate and guide them.

Our modern world is a sharp contrast. We can find virtually any information or knowledge we desire by visiting a library or searching the internet.

The role and utility of prophets and religious leaders appears to have declined through us being empowered through better access to information and higher standards of knowledge

Is the direction of my thoughts accurate? What might the future hold if these trends continue?

Reactions: dev553344

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those of ancient times lacked libraries and books. They had no schools and lacked options when it came to learning.

Due to circumstances where they lacked direct access to information and knowledge, they desperately needed prophets to inform, educate and guide them.

Our modern world is a sharp contrast. We can find virtually any information or knowledge we desire by visiting a library or searching the internet.

The role and utility of prophets and religious leaders appears to have declined through us being empowered through better access to information and higher standards of knowledge

Is the direction of my thoughts accurate? What might the future hold if these trends continue?
God still has his Prophets in contrast to the many false prophets on the World's stage. They might not have the ancient image but they surely are his mouthpiece.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

We have a lot of head knowledge but little heart. We need prophets more than ever to reveal the heart of God.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
role and utility of prophets and religious leaders
One has to remember that there are two roles/functions for a prophet.
That of ' foretelling', that is making known what God has revealed to them that is going to happen.
And that of ' forthtelling', that of explaing what God's word means and how it applies to us today.

Any preacher who systematically preaches their way through the bible, dealing with both the easy and difficult passages is likely to be fulfilling both roles.

In the Christian church we need preachers who are prophetic preachers because we need God's word expanded and applied to today's world. Equally an unbelieving world needs the challenge of biblical prophetic preaching.

Reactions: dev553344

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The short answer is yes, we do not have many, God sent, Prophets today.

The problem that we have today is that many people believe that they have a revelation from God that they have to share this revelation, but the problem is that God has not called them to be teachers or prophets within His kingdom.

What people need more than ever today is for them to be able to discern through the prompting of the Holy Spirit who is a teacher they should sit under or whether or not a person claiming to be a prophet is actually a prophet called by God.

Satan is a deceiver and many people have had their ears tickled by Satan into believing that they have a message from God for the people around them.

The other night I was sitting with some men from my church and I just happened to mention that I have observed demonic flash mob operating over the past few years, like after the vote in England to leave the European Union large crowds seemed to materialise out of thin air protesting against the decision to leave the union.

The Black Live Matters protests is another example of visible demonic flash mob materialising, seemingly out of nothing.

A woman prophesied over my daughter a few years back before she started to preach in the church my daughter attends. My impression is that this woman was trying to establish her credentials as a prophet before she started to preach. To my knowledge her prophecy for my daughter has not materialised as yet. Her prophetic word for my daughter may well come true in the future but for the moment the weather has been against it happening.

There are many examples of, so-called modern-day, prophets today, where the evidence of the outcomes of their prophetic words, has not come to pass.

Shalom

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would agree with @Windmillcharge. He seems to understand it correctly.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinking about this, I would add: We have a lot of new things, like food choices, artificial and natural remedies, medicines, activities like bungee jumping, cliff climbing, other fads that come in and out of the modern world. A church leader or prophet can direct the people regarding what to take part in and what to stay away from.

We see the world recommending food choices, medicines, activities, that we find out much later are bad for you. A prophet might spare his people from those things early on.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't know if there is a need for prophets, but could the world get much worse?