Is This A "Christian" or Is This A "Religious" Forum?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thekingdomkeys

Jan 15, 2012
Hello everyone, I am a new member (thekingdomkeys) and I seem to be having software issues in this forum. I don't know where else to bring this up since I have tried to contact the system administrator and haven't received any emails back. I cannot open up the "Christianity Board Christian Forum" tab ...when I click on it nothing happens? Can anyone help me here?
Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.
Sincerely, David Kenderes

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Yes, I agree with that. :)

Hi Prentis & Aspen,

I would propose that people can find Christ through all types of adversity, including religion. Some find Jesus thru cancer, car accidents, etc., etc., etc. However, Jesus specifically warned about religious ~performance~:

Matt. 16:6-12
[sup]5[/sup] Now when His disciples had come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. [sup]6[/sup] Then Jesus said to them, “Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”
[sup]7[/sup] And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “It is because we have taken no bread.”
[sup]8[/sup] But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, “O you of little faith, why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread?[sup][c][/sup] [sup]9[/sup] Do you not yet understand, or remember the five loaves of the five thousand and how many baskets you took up? [sup]10[/sup] Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand and how many large baskets you took up? [sup]11[/sup] How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread?—but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” [sup]12[/sup] Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

So where each denomination has their religiosity expressed in various ways and various degrees, the question remains the same: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
That is up to Hammerstone to decide, it's his forum and his choice. Since he is sovereign here, his word is authority.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
You miss the point. The question is whether those who profess Christianity are Christians or merely religious. And this is not a question for Hammerstone, but for each individual. And where Jesus pleaded with the religious of his day:

Matt 23:37
[sup]37[/sup] “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

... so too he rebuked the same:

Matt 23
[sup]13[/sup] “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! ...

The question still stands: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
You seem to resist the notion the question you are typing is not the question you want to ask.

Here is your question: The question is whether those who profess Christianity are Christians or merely religious?

Since you want THAT question answered your OP is nullified and everyone should answer your clarification. If you want to insist on asking the OP but expecting anything but "It's Hammer's site", isn't that the definition of insanity?

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
The question remains as asked: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

If you are an "individual", then please consider the implication of your personal situation. And toward this consideration, certainly Peter would NOT have considered himself ~religious~, but a true believe in Christ. However this did not prevent at least one of his views from contradicting the Gospel, to the point of being called "satan" for his being found outside that will of God.

And so too some of our views can be well intended, but outside the will of God. For such use the things of the world (i.e., psychology, sociology, physiology) to rationalize and justify their doctrines, many of which directly defy scripture. These are a substitute for Christianity, and we are told that all wood, hay, and stubble will be burned up.

So who is that individual who pursues the kingdom of GOD, versus the ~religiosity~ of man?

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Well since the administrator is a Christian, I would say a Christian site...however as far as the posters here...that is a question they can only answer about themselves...for me..I am neither...I am a follower of Christ...

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Hi Shep,

If you follow Christ (given our human frailties as exhibited by Peter) then you are a Christian. And being a Christian (given the example where one individual asserted that he did not "listen to Peter") it is incumbent that all scripture is to be followed not only in word, but in deed:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
[sup]16[/sup] All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, [sup]17[/sup] that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

And if scripture is profitable for reproof and correction, then there should be two components:

1. Reproof & Correction
2. The opportunity for change.

If Jesus called Peter "satan", it was not an eternal damnation, but reproof for a specific excursion from the will of God. And when corrected, the body is made complete.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Prentis & Aspen,

I would propose that people can find Christ through all types of adversity, including religion. Some find Jesus thru cancer, car accidents, etc., etc., etc. However, Jesus specifically warned about religious ~performance~:

Matt. 16:6-12
[sup]5[/sup] Now when His disciples had come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. [sup]6[/sup] Then Jesus said to them, “Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”
[sup]7[/sup] And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “It is because we have taken no bread.”
[sup]8[/sup] But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, “O you of little faith, why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread?[sup][c][/sup] [sup]9[/sup] Do you not yet understand, or remember the five loaves of the five thousand and how many baskets you took up? [sup]10[/sup] Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand and how many large baskets you took up? [sup]11[/sup] How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread?—but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” [sup]12[/sup] Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

So where each denomination has their religiosity expressed in various ways and various degrees, the question remains the same: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

Based on your post.....I think you missed my point. I clearly stated that religion is the language we use to worship God. Your attempt to reframe the word religion to mean meaningless, pride swelling ritual is not the true meaning of the word. Just because Jesus refuted the Pharisees for using religion for prideful purposes is not a wholesale condemnation of religion.

So to answer your question, this board is a place where religion is mostly used in the best manner possible.

And I must correct you on another point, not only would Peter have considered himself to be a Christ following, religious Jew, but the Protestant Reformers would most certainly consider themselves to be religious.

The divorce of spirituality and religion is a new phenomenon and leads to spirituality without discipline and relativism.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Hi Aspen,

Jesus quoted Isaiah saying:

Matt 15:8
[sup]8[/sup] ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
[sup]9[/sup] And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Aspen,

Jesus quoted Isaiah saying:

Matt 15:8
[sup]8[/sup] ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
[sup]9[/sup] And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

What is your point?

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Re: http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/13762-jews/

Another circumstance involves the topic titled "Jews"*, running 13 pages, in which several individuals hatefully assailed the Jews. And we know that scripture provides clear guidance in this regard:

Gen. 12
[sup]1[/sup] The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
[sup]2[/sup] “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
[sup]3[/sup] I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”

According to this passage, if we allow hate-speech against the Jews then we equally allow those individuals to be hated by God. And where I detest the former, so too I must acknowledge the latter.

* Please note that this Topic did not appear to have been started with an intent to defame the Jews, (and was agglomed onto by those with that evil mind-set), subsequent posts made that initial prospect more suspect.

sashka

Jan 25, 2012
It seems that this thread has gotten to muddy with topics that are not relative to anyone. I that all the PropphecyStudent is trying to say is that Religion and Christianity are two different things.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that this thread has gotten to muddy with topics that are not relative to anyone. I that all the PropphecyStudent is trying to say is that Religion and Christianity are two different things.

Which is like saying that language and English are two different things.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Close. What he is trying to do is communicate the difference between religious people and followers of Jesus, and that we ought to be the latter.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Close. What he is trying to do is communicate the difference between religious people and followers of Jesus, and that we ought to be the latter.

:)

For what is Christ, except the TRUTH of GOD. And how are we to approach Him, except in the honesty of our worshipful relationship, -- casting aside all facades and pretenses, performing to the calling which is gifted to each person according to God's provision, strengthening one another and being strengthened in the full unity of the body of fellowship.

Justinian 1

Jan 24, 2012
Washington
Which is like saying that language and English are two different things.
Well to be fair, Christianity is only a branch in religion. A bone cannot be a human. It goes: religion (Christianity, Buddism, Hinduism), Christianity (Catholisism, Protestent, Mormon), Protestant (Baptist, Lutherins, Assemblies of God)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well to be fair, Christianity is only a branch in religion. A bone cannot be a human. It goes: religion (Christianity, Buddism, Hinduism), Christianity (Catholisism, Protestent, Mormon), Protestant (Baptist, Lutherins, Assemblies of God)

true. However a bone is dependent on the body that created it. Christianity is religion; and it uses all the aspects of religion to relate to God.

the word 'religion' only became a bad word in the past century, with the anti-denomination movement. 'I believe in Christ, not religion!' doesn't make sense.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Christianity is only a branch in religion.

Hi Justinian 1,

These classifications are helpful only to non-Christians. We see things differently. Our God does not fit within man’s classifications; classifications fit within our God. Unbelievers try to make us acknowledge their methods of order. We, in turn, try to help you to understand the true order…

First there is God. He is one because He alone creates. Because Jesus and the Holy Spirit create with the father; Jesus and the Holy Spirit are also rightly called God with the father. God is uncreated. God is spirit. The entire world was created through and for Jesus: mankind, the universe and the angels.

God willed to design a kingdom made up of men who come from earth. God willed that these men and women would all be redeemed and purchased through the blood of His son. These men and women were foreknown, elected and predestined to rule with Jesus as the Kingdom "before the foundation of the world". God foreknew man would fall; for all things are known by God. Through man’s fall God elected this kingdom to rule over repentant man for all eternity.

Man is offered an opportunity now to be redeemed through this precious blood. All those who turn to God with all of their heart, mind, soul and strength will receive the gift of immortality. They will partake of the first resurrection, and the second death will have no power over them. The second death is the lake of fire, which awaits all those who refuse the power of repentance. Those who sin against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven now, or in the age to come. Although there are different denominations of Christianity; the same rules apply in all – to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength; to repent and be baptised in the name of Jesus, to walk in the guidance of the Holy Spirit and to know your God through the bible He sent to us.

In the near future there will be a new heaven and new earth. The new heavens will be the kingdom of God called the New Jerusalem, the Bride of Christ; the Israel of God; the Royal Priesthood. The meek will inherit the earth. The meek are all those who were baptised in obedience to the son, yet who lived imperfectly and inconsistently. These are the many Christians who will be given manna from heaven, and they will be given the tree of life, which is in the midst of paradise.

The true order of creation is God, then the Kingdom of Heaven, then the Angels, then resurrected mankind, then the creation, then the universe. The universe was made for man, not man for the universe. The other cults you mentioned are simply counterfeits who demand equal standing; they will never have equal standing. You are invited to repent of your sins and find eternal salvation for yourself before the world becomes the focus of God’s fury against insolent and arrogant fools.

God Bless
Steve