Is This A "Christian" or Is This A "Religious" Forum?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
Aspen & Justinian 1,

~Religion~ includes anything people worship, including: church, football, money, murder, envy, lust, gluttony, etc. These are all substitues for a true relationship with God.

And of course, churches are by design intended to provide worship to God, but few are proficient, many are inefficient, and some are simply pious men who feign humility but inwardly are ravenous wolves preying on sheep.

But the question is not so much about how orgainzed religion acts, but how we act. And whether we are as Jesus, always ready to convince, rebuke, teach, and exhort with patience and compassion.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen & Justinian 1,

~Religion~ includes anything people worship, including: church, football, money, murder, envy, lust, gluttony, etc. These are all substitues for a true relationship with God.

And of course, churches are by design intended to provide worship to God, but few are proficient, many are inefficient, and some are simply pious men who feign humility but inwardly are ravenous wolves preying on sheep.

But the question is not so much about how orgainzed religion acts, but how we act. And whether we are as Jesus, always ready to convince, rebuke, teach, and exhort with patience and compassion.

Religion gave you the concept of your relationship with Christ. It is a religious idea. Prayer, worship, Body of Christ, Son of God, and on and on.....all RELIGIOUS terms.

Disavowing religion, as a Christian, is just as silly as claiming that Gingrich should be President because he is not a politician - ridiculous!

blessings! (another religious term)

btw, I agree that we need to internalize our religious beliefs, but that does not mean that we are supposed to pretend that religion is somehow different from the language we used to engage in our interpersonal relationship with God.

Justinian 1

Jan 24, 2012
Washington
Aspen I do agree with you that Christianity, being a branch of religion, is obviously a religion. I seemed to have misinterpreted what you were saying. Thanks for the info, though!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
So where each denomination has their religiosity expressed in various ways and various degrees, the question remains the same: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

That's kind of like asking "Is this an Internet or online forum?" I agree with biggandy. You have an some idea lodged in your head, but you're not able to communicate it in a rational or sane manner.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
... I agree with biggandy. ...

I agree with Scripture:

Amos 5

[sup]21 [/sup]“I hate, I despise your feast days,
And I do not savor your sacred assemblies.
[sup]22 [/sup]Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings,
I will not accept them,
Nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings.
[sup]23 [/sup]Take away from Me the noise of your songs,
For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments.
[sup]24 [/sup]But let justice run down like water,
And righteousness like a mighty stream.

[sup]25 [/sup]“Did you offer Me sacrifices and offerings
In the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?
[sup]26 [/sup]You also carried Sikkuth your king
And Chiun, your idols,
The star of your gods,
Which you made for yourselves.
[sup]27 [/sup]Therefore I will send you into captivity beyond Damascus,”
Says the Lord, whose name is the God of hosts.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
The question remains as asked: Is this a Christian or is this a religious forum?

If you are an "individual", then please consider the implication of your personal situation. And toward this consideration, certainly Peter would NOT have considered himself ~religious~, but a true believe in Christ. However this did not prevent at least one of his views from contradicting the Gospel, to the point of being called "satan" for his being found outside that will of God.

And so too some of our views can be well intended, but outside the will of God. For such use the things of the world (i.e., psychology, sociology, physiology) to rationalize and justify their doctrines, many of which directly defy scripture. These are a substitute for Christianity, and we are told that all wood, hay, and stubble will be burned up.

So who is that individual who pursues the kingdom of GOD, versus the ~religiosity~ of man?

IMO...This is an annoymous forum, on the internet, where a group of people gather to discuss various issues surrounding their belief system, or lack thereof.

You seem to be caught up in the whole "rebuke" admonition which is a sad way to enter an online community. It implies an alterior motive.

It is also a little difficult to pass the rebuke wand around since this IS an annoymous forum and none of us really knows the true personality of, how the other person lives, worships, or believes. This forum does not impress me as a place to beat each other up. It impresses me more as a place where others can gather, discuss issues of our time...Be they spiritual, prophetic, personal, whatever...and gain insight, support, prayerful consideration/challenges and an overall sense of open fellowship.

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
You seem to be caught up in the whole "rebuke" admonition...

Actually, I believe that ALL is to be held in a proper balance, both within the body of Christ and within the church.

Thus the highlighted:

[sup]24 [/sup]But let justice run down like water,
And righteousness like a mighty stream.

... which is the purpose of convince, rebuke, teach, and exhort, with patience and compassion. :)

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
...This is an annoymous forum... on the internet...

Oops, I didn't know this... or my mask dropped. Learning to communicate effectively is sometimes very difficult online. I hope that everyone's message will be seasoned with grace.

God Bless
Steve

LukaszR

Nov 9, 2009
Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

This was definitely an interesting thread to read through. In my opinion, the video above has a lot of great points and I think maybe might answer or shed light on a few questions that have been asked in this thread.

Religion is a man made term to differentiate different beliefs and practices. As the word "traditions" relate to various beliefs and practices.

An example, a Polish individual may follow a "traditional practice" not to eat meat on Christmas Eve, whereas a Canadian may have a traditional meal consisting of meat. Its two cultures simply practicing different traditions. Religion is just a term used to generalize a large "community" of practices such as Christianity, Budests, Hindu etc.

If you are Hindu, you are religious...If you are Christian, you are religious.

If you Love Jesus and accepted him as your Saviour and you live according to the Holy Bible, that makes you a Christian, a Follower of Christ.
Going to church, and attending Sunday school, but not truely having accepted Christ as your saviour, doesn't make you a Christian...it simply makes you a religious practicing Christian. I think the two are on complete seperate spectrums.

I hope this all makes sense a little, I'd like someone else to perhaps comment incase I've scewed anything here...

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
I think if someone is Christian they are religious also...That is why I am a follower of Christ...I follow Jesus and His word...not the words of man..I go to church and love it and the Pastors...they teach straight from the word...and they are fast to tell you they are given their opinions of the scriptures and that we need to seek Jesus for ourselves and to take anything we want to question to them and they will help us to understand how they came by that opinion and will help us seek out the truth....they love it when they are questioned on their opinions

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This was definitely an interesting thread to read through. In my opinion, the video above has a lot of great points and I think maybe might answer or shed light on a few questions that have been asked in this thread.

Religion is a man made term to differentiate different beliefs and practices. As the word "traditions" relate to various beliefs and practices.

An example, a Polish individual may follow a "traditional practice" not to eat meat on Christmas Eve, whereas a Canadian may have a traditional meal consisting of meat. Its two cultures simply practicing different traditions. Religion is just a term used to generalize a large "community" of practices such as Christianity, Budests, Hindu etc.

If you Love Jesus and accepted him as your Saviour and you live according to the Holy Bible, that makes you a Christian, a Follower of Christ.
Going to church, and attending Sunday school, but not truely having accepted Christ as your saviour, doesn't make you a Christian...it simply makes you a religious practicing Christian. I think the two are on complete seperate spectrums.

I hope this all makes sense a little, I'd like someone else to perhaps comment incase I've scewed anything here...

I am glad that this youtube speaks to you.

For me, it speaks to the lack of understanding of the term 'religion'

It also shows a disconnect between history and Christianity - as if Christianity starts it's history all over again every time a popular Christian fad comes along and demands that we re-frame the religion of Christianity - right now it is popular to divide religion from Christianity. It is like picking a leaf off an oak tree and calling it an oak tree.

But, whatever encourages you to walk with Jesus is ultimately a good thing.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Corrct darling Aspen as long as we focus on Jesus...I love that video and shared it on facebook...casued quite stir...people where reposting it all over the place...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Corrct darling Aspen as long as we focus on Jesus...I love that video and shared it on facebook...casued quite stir...people where reposting it all over the place...

I know a lot of Christians that have been really encouraged by it. I also posted it on my facebook page.

I am glad about the encouragement it is bringing to people

For me, I admittedly cringed the first time I heard it - over the religion issue, but, thankfully, the power of the video and the message is not based on my opinion.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Thank you for posting this!

I have heard it put this way:

Going to church makes you no more a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you a car.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
I thought this was an excellent "example" video.

There is such a fine line between “religion” and “spirituality”… Spiritual people have always used religious traditions. This does not require that they are “religious”. Jesus was circumcised; Jesus observed the Sabbath; Jesus attended the feasts, etc… Even after “It was finished”, new traditions were established: the Eucharist; the Lord’s Day; Baptism; the ‘Our Father’ prayer, etc… Our objection is not (and should not) be against religion; but against the application and use of religion… a very fine line.

To me, personally, using Hip Hop and Rap to convey a message is a gross retardation of spirituality; regardless of what you are trying to say. Relying on the world’s religions (music and multi-media) is much worse than using traditions established by God and the Church to help keep us away from these very things. This video has made Satan’s method’s appear better than those of Jesus. A little bit of rhyme, a little bit of slang, some visual effects, a leather jacket, some fine music… that orta do it! This is a target driven message designed to appeal to a younger generation of rebels. It saddens me actually. It’s like putting some arsenic in an apple. Most of the message was so convoluted and contradictory, but who notices when you are so mesmerised by his rhythm and appeal? Just my opinion…

God Bless
Steve

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought this was an excellent "example" video.

There is such a fine line between “religion” and “spirituality”… Spiritual people have always used religious traditions. This does not require that they are “religious”. Jesus was circumcised; Jesus observed the Sabbath; Jesus attended the feasts, etc… Even after “It was finished”, new traditions were established: the Eucharist; the Lord’s Day; Baptism; the ‘Our Father’ prayer, etc… Our objection is not (and should not) be against religion; but against the application and use of religion… a very fine line.

God Bless
Steve

Agreed!

PropphecyStudent

Jan 6, 2012
The point of this Topic is for each person who calls themself a "Christian" to consider whether they are as the Saducees and Pharisees (who Jesus said murdered the prophets, and ultimately Him), or as Jesus.

God says "come let us reason together", but the religious insist there be NO reasoning And if one should attempt to present evidence (be it by Scripture or by History), then the religious assail and assassinate as their fathers before them.

And so where 1 Cor 14:29 says to judge the prophets, I would contend that the Standard is NOT by Doctrines of men, but by Scripture from God. 2 Timothy 4:2 says we are to be ready with a defense in season and out of season:

2 Timothy 4:2
[sup]2[/sup] Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

... but it also cautions us that in the end-times some would not tolerate sound doctrine:

[sup]3[/sup] For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. [sup]4[/sup] They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

And so we arrive to the end-times, and find some of whom Timothy cautioned; but so too God has preserved many as his beloved children. The only question is which are those who are content being cautioned against, versus those desiring to be the children as Jesus so tenderly demonstrated. :)