Is wearing Christian shirts the same as loudly praying in the streets?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Guitarded

May 21, 2011
What's the purpose of wearing "graphic tees" other than to draw attention to yourself as a Christian? I understand it's merely a form of communicating and identifying that you're a follower, but how different is it from the Pharisees praying loudly in the public?

I'm not trying to imply that wearing shirts such as these is wrong, but I'm just concerned that human nature (specifically, being proud of a set of beliefs) could sometimes be an underlying motive for displaying such images. What do you think? Does it vary from person to person?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I would imagine that for some it is.

Just like the stickers on cars. People standing up and raising their hands at a public event when they play Amazing Grace.

For me it wasn't. Although, I don't wear Christian shirts anymore. I don't like the fact that if I do something wrong or lose my temper over something people will have another reason to reject Jesus.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to be crazy into this. I felt it was my job to be a light in this way. So I wore Christian t's, painted my car with verses and even put a cross on my house with a scroll that read...Christ in YOU!

The t-shirt wore out, I gave the car to a brother and we sold our house (we outgrew it)

I seem also to have outgrown that need! :rolleyes:

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I used to be crazy into this. I felt it was my job to be a light in this way. So I wore Christian t's, painted my car with verses and even put a cross on my house with a scroll that read...Christ in YOU!

The t-shirt wore out, I gave the car to a brother and we sold our house (we outgrew it)

I seem also to have outgrown that need! :rolleyes:

-- What I have learned from observation is that many Christians who wear these tshirts wear them so they can be identified as Christian to other Christians.
Many a concersation has begun between two Christians due to a tshirt.

As far as a witnessing tool to the lost, I don't see the benefit. All it does is ensure that the person who wears that shirt is under much more scrutiny from the non-Christian crowd, watching to see if he/she is actually practicing what they preach.

Kingdomfashionz

May 26, 2011
Florida
I own a christian T-shirt line and while there is some accuracy to some of the points mentioned here, there is also some incorrect ones. Wearing christian t-shirts does not compare to the Pharisees, if Jesus was mocked what makes us think we will not be mocked or even persecuted.

Let me say we are the light of the world and wearing christian T-shirt is a good thing. We have gone so cold as believers that we have been taught to serve up a watered down gospel for so long, that the real Gospel has become an embarrassment.

Whether your wear christian t-shirts or witness it is all for the glory of God.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I own a christian T-shirt line and while there is some accuracy to some of the points mentioned here, there is also some incorrect ones. Wearing christian t-shirts does not compare to the Pharisees, if Jesus was mocked what makes us think we will not be mocked or even persecuted.

Let me say we are the light of the world and wearing christian T-shirt is a good thing. We have gone so cold as believers that we have been taught to serve up a watered down gospel for so long, that the real Gospel has become an embarrassment.

Whether your wear christian t-shirts or witness it is all for the glory of God.

-- I would not disagree with you at all. There is coming a day in the near future where prejudice against Christians will move from the shadows to the mainstream and then quickly morph into genuine oppression.

That timetable will be delayed, allowing more people to be saved, if Christians would be more like Christians instead of wallflowers.

Does that mean wearing tshirts? For some perhaps. For some, that is a huge step into the public arena.

But the behavior of a Christian wearing that tshirt is absolutely under continuous scrutiny, be it at school or at the mall. Some watching are watching to see the person fall so that their opinions of Christianity are confirmed. Some are watching to see if what they hear about Christianity and Christians is true.

If you aren't able to publically live as a Christian, being an example of Christ on earth, please do the rest of us a favor and not wear the tshirt. You aren't helping the cause.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, when I see a Christian t-shirt, I cringe. I know some people will assume that my reaction is merely contempt for Jesus and the gospel - but they are wrong. Christian catch-phrases are akin to Christian comedy - they are only funny or provocative to people within a narrow, sliver of the Christian culture. To everyone else, secular, religious and Christian alike, this culture is not representative, simplistic, and childish. I get the same feeling about this pop-Christian aspect of my faith as I do about a person who over-identifies with pop-psychology by nurturing their 'inner child'. Adolescents who wear this type of clothing are doing it to identify with a peer group and that is normal and healthy, but a person wearing this type of clothing, who is over the age of 20? They may as well be dressed up as a cartoon character, waving to traffic in attempt to bring customers into a store - then again, at least those cartoon characters are getting paid.

Don't think my contempt is reserved for this type of Christian wear - I also feel the same way about my peers (40) who are still wearing their Ozzy Osbourne concert shirts from their childhood.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
What's the purpose of wearing "graphic tees" other than to draw attention to yourself as a Christian? I understand it's merely a form of communicating and identifying that you're a follower, but how different is it from the Pharisees praying loudly in the public?

I'm not trying to imply that wearing shirts such as these is wrong, but I'm just concerned that human nature (specifically, being proud of a set of beliefs) could sometimes be an underlying motive for displaying such images. What do you think? Does it vary from person to person?

Draw attention to yourself as a Christian? So tell me what's wrong with that?

We see all sorts of T-shirts out there and quite of few of them are repugnant, insulting and down right wrong.

Bottom line is that this USED TO BE a country where a man could do or wear what he wanted.

What happened to live and let live? Is it only Christians that are to be restricted regarding public dress?

If Christians are asking such a question, it will not be long before the secular world DOES restrict such dress and behavior.
It's already happened in France. If a school child wears a Christian T-shirt they are sent home. Repeated behavior results in expulsion. I heard this from a Christian French boy.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Seems like a good idea almost like dedicating your clothes to the Lord. I mean if we can flash around Nike or addidas or whatever it is older folks wear, there is no reason not to show off some Jesus.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I have no problem with the public display of your love for Jesus. But you do not need shirts, bumper stickers, etc. to show that you have Jesus the Christ in your life! If you have is word hid in your heart it will show. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks (Matthew 12:34 & Luke 6:45). Many times we Christians go overboard in trying to let the world know that we are Christ followers through external and carnal means but we reject that that same exterior needs to match the interior and walk of your life.