Is your tattoo faith based?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your tattoo faith based in its design?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I have a tattoo(s), but it/they are not faith based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have no tattoo

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No, but I would consider receiving a faith based tattoo design

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, but I'm surrently not sure what to think, whether I would get one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My one daughter had a tattoo upon her back, and sought desperately later to have it removed, but without success.
A tattoo voucher gift could lead her to have it touched up and changed to something better; did you maybe ever consider doing that for her?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It can become an issue with people who suffer from demencia, more so if it is women who have tattoos.
Although today tattooing is participated in overwhelmingly by women as well as by men, maybe those whose minds are fixed in years ago would be less accustomed.

(Maybe years ago you wouldn't have had it done, either?)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do any of your family/friends have tattoos?
No, not a single family member now.

I know one lady in fellowship at church who had a small one prior to being saved. It is on an ankle where, unless she wears an opaque sock or other covering, everyone will see it. I know that she regrets it, but she does not let it hinder her serving God now. The personal regret remains.

I have tried to hold back on this thread, but my opinion is that God would rather that no one ever chose to get a tatoo. He allows things and because of people's ignorance, He will not hold things against them... such as contemplating having a tatoo put on their own bodies.., no matter what the subject matter.

I believe that to press people as you have done here to consider getting a tatoo is also a manner of tempting God. Once it is there, then the person may come to a day when he will need to repent of his action... but the deed is done. I could make a negative comparison here in the way of an analogy but I won't... I will simply say that for anyone who has the choice and asks my opinion, I would advise them against getting a tatoo.

I have never had a tatoo, but I have done other things which at the time seemed OK to me but now even though God has forgiven my actions, the memory remains to remind me of where I was as opposed to where I am. It would be nice if I did not have the memories, but at least they are not readily on display for other people.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, not a single family member now.

I know one lady in fellowship at church who had a small one prior to being saved. It is on an ankle where, unless she wears an opaque sock or other covering, everyone will see it. I know that she regrets it, but she does not let it hinder her serving God now. The personal regret remains.

I have tried to hold back on this thread, but my opinion is that God would rather that no one ever chose to get a tatoo. He allows things and because of people's ignorance, He will not hold things against them... such as contemplating having a tatoo put on their own bodies.., no matter what the subject matter.

I believe that to press people as you have done here to consider getting a tatoo is also a manner of tempting God. Once it is there, then the person may come to a day when he will need to repent of his action... but the deed is done. I could make a negative comparison here in the way of an analogy but I won't... I will simply say that for anyone who has the choice and asks my opinion, I would advise them against getting a tatoo.

I have never had a tatoo, but I have done other things which at the time seemed OK to me but now even though God has forgiven my actions, the memory remains to remind me of where I was as opposed to where I am. It would be nice if I did not have the memories, but at least they are not readily on display for other people.
Thanks for your comments. I don't think I have said that people ought to get a tattoo. Although ppl who strongly dislike them might like to perceive that I have. I guess more likely it's a case of the fact that so many ppl do get tattoos, including Christians who receive faith based ones proven effective in witness, means that ppl are pragmatically using it as an opportunity in witness rather than fighting against it.

I saw a quote - mentioned earlier - from the Bible Belt which demonstrates just how widespread it is.

Yes, ankle is a popular placement.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments. I don't think I have said that people ought to get a tattoo. Although ppl who strongly dislike them might like to perceive that I have. I guess more likely it's a case of the fact that so many ppl do get tattoos, including Christians who receive faith based ones proven effective in witness, means that ppl are pragmatically using it as an opportunity in witness rather than fighting against it.

I saw a quote - mentioned earlier - from the Bible Belt which demonstrates just how widespread it is.

Yes, ankle is a popular placement.
Perhaps you did not say a person "ought" to get a tatoo. But... as you continue to pursue this thread and invite and reinvite people to join you here to discuss it, to me, it seems that is where you stand. There really are not many real Christians around [meaning people who are really striving to be like Jesus]although there are apparently many who want to appear to others to be Christians.

But, I am of course biased in favor of my own generation. [Who is not?] Given even that, I see the ones of my generation also as being in error in many things and this certainly includes me, except where God has lifted me up. Where have we lifted ourselves up? How wrong are we? If I only can find the best tatoo design have it permanently affixed to me, will that please God?

Being widespread doesn't mean it is a good thing... Being pleasing to God is what each of us should want in spite of what we do want or what we do like.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matt 7:13-14

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Perhaps you did not say a person "ought" to get a tatoo. But... as you continue to pursue this thread and invite and reinvite people to join you here to discuss it, to me, it seems that is where you stand. There really are not many real Christians around [meaning people who are really striving to be like Jesus]although there are apparently many who want to appear to others to be Christians.

But, I am of course biased in favor of my own generation. [Who is not?] Given even that, I see the ones of my generation also as being in error in many things and this certainly includes me, except where God has lifted me up. Where have we lifted ourselves up? How wrong are we? If I only can find the best tatoo design have it permanently affixed to me, will that please God?

Being widespread doesn't mean it is a good thing... Being pleasing to God is what each of us should want in spite of what we do want or what we do like.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matt 7:13-14
Good searching verses there; thank-you.

This is the quote I saw, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and the conversation would not even have occurred if she had not gotten it.

Pragmatically, it does prove to be a talking point; and some Christians have made a conscious decision to receive faith based ink, in the trust that this will indeed prove to be the case.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good searching verses there; thank-you.

This is the quote I saw, FYI:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and the conversation would not even have occurred if she had not gotten it.

Pragmatically, it does prove to be a talking point; and some Christians have made a conscious decision to receive faith based ink, in the trust that this will indeed prove to be the case.
I have read all of the posts on this thread and so I also read about the young lady and her tatoo. That does not change my opinion. For some people it is following God that leads them to places I and many others could never go serving Him. Each of them and each of us still needs to hear His Voice and to follow Him.

Pragmatism is not the way to God even if it may be at times a useful tool.

My point was that to me the gist of your thread shows a bias on your part in favor of tatoos for Christians instead of a greater emphasis on seeking first God's kingdom and God's righteousness. You may say, NOT, but that is what I have seen here. At times you say some very good things [not only on this thread], but your purpose on this thread to me shows an argument against looking to Him first... even if you may not have said it that way in so many words.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have read all of the posts on this thread and so I also read about the young lady and her tatoo. That does not change my opinion. For some people it is following God that leads them to places I and many others could never go serving Him. Each of them and each of us still needs to hear His Voice and to follow Him.

Pragmatism is not the way to God even if it may be at times a useful tool.

My point was that to me the gist of your thread shows a bias on your part in favor of tatoos for Christians instead of a greater emphasis on seeking first God's kingdom and God's righteousness. You may say, NOT, but that is what I have seen here. At times you say some very good things [not only on this thread], but your purpose on this thread to me shows an argument against looking to Him first... even if you may not have said it that way in so many words.
I guess that if it's a Scripture verse, then whether it's on a piece of paper or on skin does not diminish its status as the Word of God.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So maybe your sister found his transition to leathers and tattoos a bit drastic and would find it a bit of a hard transition to make also.

She never received one herself, but approved of what he wanted to do. She rode on the back of the Harley. I never did.

Reactions: farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that if it's a Scripture verse, then whether it's on a piece of paper or on skin does not diminish its status as the Word of God.
The flesh is always a problem for those who have not yet overcome it. The pictures you displayed on this thread with tatoos would be offensive to some... so then what?

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:22

If we need to cover up the flesh, wherein is the witness of which you speak? Should a woman bare her breasts in public because she has a good verse inscribed on them? That may be extreme, but is it, really? How many men would seriously be reading the verses to hear from God?