Isaiah 3:14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your opinions don't inflame me. I'm simply pointing out what your rhetoric says about you and about God.

You said that my meditating on a verse was "inflammatory rhetoric." I thought that meant it inflamed you. Who is it that you think my meditations and wondering "inflame...?"

Reactions: quietthinker

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a leader is arrogant, etc...according to your belief that you let God alone seat leaders, then God seated those leaders that are arrogant,

Correct. I believe God sets rulers in place and removes leaders from their place. I believe it if I like the leader and I still believe it if I don't like the leader. Not really sure what your point was here...

Reactions: Heart2Soul

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Secondly, judging the consumer base, which is what you've done while imparting scripture as a foundation, is indicting you as a consumer as well as those you think to cast into the light of being responsible for the sweat shops and slave labor, that are responsible for consumer goods.
What your rhetoric is missing however, is your failure to take responsibility for that.

I wasn't judging a "consumer base." I was looking at what I, personally, might be unwittingly a part of that God wouldn't be pleased with, and I was discussing it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is because you refuse to vote. That's a cop out, in my view. Claiming God seats leaders over us and that's good enough for you, not a direct quote but extrapolated from your words, is a cop out. God sets them, I'm not going to vote, I just can't, is rubbish.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of me and my choices.

I'm not naive enough to believe slave labor items would disappear from the shelves of the U.S. if I only voted Republican or Democrat.

Reactions: amadeus

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. I believe God sets rulers in place and removes leaders from their place. I believe it if I like the leader and I still believe it if I don't like the leader. Not really sure what your point was here...
My point is, if we believe it is all God, we don't have to vote because God alone sits leaders, we'd first have to reconcile why God told us to vote. And then we'd have to realize, as we let it all be on God and release our right to vote, not a God given right but a human fight for the right to vote, and that so many of our citizens died to preserve for us, and so many women in the early 19th century risked everything to obtain the right for our sex to have a say in our national and personal future, then one has to acknowledge whatever leader, whatever their positive attributes or most evil, it is all God and his doing.

Which then calls into review the seating of the likes of Stalin, Pol Pott, Idi Amin,President Slobodan Milosevic,Gheorghe Gheorghiu, and others.

At some point the human factor has to be responsible. If we don't vote for our future, we have no right to complain when it arrives as something we find to complain about.

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are certainly entitled to your opinion of me and my choices.

I'm not naive enough to believe slave labor items would disappear from the shelves of the U.S. if I only voted Republican or Democrat.
Really? Republican President Herbert Hoover signed Section 307 of the Tariff Act of 1930 into law. You might wish to research that.

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. Once again, not what I was doing. I was examining myself. You took that to be casting aspersions on everyone else.
Indeed I did. That is because I read your OP that was not introspective or a personal Blog post here. Rather, it was a thread starter in Bible study forum that addressed the whole, not the individual, yourself. Conflating scripture with today's market and asking for corollaries from the masses here, is making it personal for all who deem to answer. Especially as you excerpt a portion of Isaiah to open the dialogue. An except from a chapter that refers to Judgment on Judah and Jerusalem.

(Reads as follows in full, verse 14 & 15:Adonai presents the indictment
against the leaders and officers of his people:
“It is you who devour the vineyard;
in your houses is plunder taken from the poor.
15 What do you mean by crushing my people
and grinding down the faces of the poor?”
says Adonai Elohim-Tzva’ot."

Your post begins: Your houses are filled with things stolen from the poor.

Do you think this was mostly open and outright theft of things? If not, what would you think of as a corollary today? Because I'm thinking more along the lines of...cleverly hidden theft so the peoples consciences could say, "no one has caught me cheating..."

I'm looking for corollaries today. Ex: Things made in sweat shops where the workers aren't even given a fair wage for the sweat of their brow.

No disrespect intended. I'm just telling you how I read your opinion. The people of the Bible weren't accorded the right to vote. They lived under the control of kings and emperors.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't understand your position. As leaders in the US are elected, how exactly does God put them in place? Isn't it by the voters? But you won't vote?

Much love!
Consider how God dealt with Nebuchadnezzer.....consider how he dealt with Job.....consider how he dealt with Jesus
In man's wisdom man assumes he is in control yet that assumption is revealed as delusions of grandeur......Nebuchadnezzer gave witness to this after he returned from his insanity. Daniel chapter 4

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The liberal talking points you've posted here are old. They're old because they're repeated and for years.

That's quite interesting...
I have always, when I did vote, voted Republican. The only news I've ever listened to was Foxnews. So it's interesting that I'm a liberal. Haha!

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider how God dealt with Nebuchadnezzer.....consider how he dealt with Job.....consider how he dealt with Jesus
In man's wisdom man assumes he is in control yet that assumption is revealed as delusions of grandeur......Nebuchadnezzer gave witness to this after he returned from his insanity. Daniel chapter 4
I don't understand what your point is here, I'm sorry!

If we begin with the truth that elected rulers are put there by God, then it follows that God works through the electorate to put them there. Right? So when the Christian votes, seeking God's will, then they are participating in that work of God to put the one whom God wants into office. Wouldn't that be true?

So then voting is a matter of our faith, as is everything else.

Much love!

Reactions: Stan B

RainAndIceCream

May 26, 2020
I woke up like this
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's quite interesting...
I have always, when I did vote, voted Republican. The only news I've ever listened to was Foxnews. So it's interesting that I'm a liberal. Haha!
If you had read me, you'll note I referred to the Liberal talking points you posted. Nowhere did I say you were a Liberal, nor did I imply as much. If that is your take on my post, my apologies for not wording my remarks to be better understood.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The oppression of the poor does not stop because one stops purchasing products which they are involved in manufacturing. That does not mean you shouldn't stop purchasing them when persuaded.

In India some years ago I saw women sitting on a road with a small pile of aggregate and a container not much bigger than a gallon with tar beside each woman.....they were repairing potholes placing the stones one by one. What do we do with this?....how do we view it?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is, if we believe it is all God, we don't have to vote because God alone sits leaders, we'd first have to reconcile why God told us to vote.

From the very beginning with Israel, God wasn't pleased when the people wanted a ruler over them like the surrounding nations. And He told them He would give them leaders as they wanted but they would lay heavy burdens on them.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed I did. That is because I read your OP that was not introspective or a personal Blog post here. Rather, it was a thread starter in Bible study forum that addressed the whole, not the individual, yourself. Conflating scripture with today's market and asking for corollaries from the masses here, is making it personal for all who deem to answer. Especially as you excerpt a portion of Isaiah to open the dialogue. An except from a chapter that refers to Judgment on Judah and Jerusalem.

(Reads as follows in full, verse 14 & 15:Adonai presents the indictment
against the leaders and officers of his people:
“It is you who devour the vineyard;
in your houses is plunder taken from the poor.
15 What do you mean by crushing my people
and grinding down the faces of the poor?”
says Adonai Elohim-Tzva’ot."

Your post begins: Your houses are filled with things stolen from the poor.

Do you think this was mostly open and outright theft of things? If not, what would you think of as a corollary today? Because I'm thinking more along the lines of...cleverly hidden theft so the peoples consciences could say, "no one has caught me cheating..."

I'm looking for corollaries today. Ex: Things made in sweat shops where the workers aren't even given a fair wage for the sweat of their brow.

No disrespect intended. I'm just telling you how I read your opinion. The people of the Bible weren't accorded the right to vote. They lived under the control of kings and emperors.

Its been nice talking with you but I'm kind of tired of your accusations so I'm going to bow out. Thanks for talking with me. I just don't like the way you converse. Its not what I'm looking for, sorry.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't understand what your point is here, I'm sorry!

If we begin with the truth that elected rulers are put there by God, then it follows that God works through the electorate to put them there. Right? So when the Christian votes, seeking God's will, then they are participating in that work of God to put the one whom God wants into office. Wouldn't that be true?

So then voting is a matter of our faith, as is everything else.

Much love!
Are you familiar with Daniel chapter 4? if not make the effort.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had read me, you'll note I referred to the Liberal talking points you posted. Nowhere did I say you were a Liberal, nor did I imply as much. If that is your take on my post, my apologies for not wording my remarks to be better understood.

If having compassion for people not being paid a living wage is a liberal talking point and the republicans don't consider or discuss it, maybe I am more liberal than I thought.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am, but what are you trying to say here? Perhaps a little effort also?
The point is, God overrides any of man's arrangements when it comes to who rules and who doesn't. A case in point is the exchange Pilate had with Jesus. Pilate, seeing himself in the superior position reminded Jesus that he had the power to release or crucify him.....Jesus' reply put it in perspective, 'you would have no power over me unless it were given you from above'

Another....the situation with Joseph. Who would have thought that a foreigner and that a prisoner would be elevated to Prime Minister virtually overnight. Or Pharaoh, in the time of Moses, in his self importance.....not only humbled personally but his whole army destroyed without the enemy (Israel) lifting a finger.

I think the scripture gives several examples of God overriding the so called fool proof methods of man strutting his stuff, democracy being one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace