It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Then, as long as WE do not comment upon it and tell someone "what it means"
Word. Let Scripture comment on Scripture, it's all in There. all i can do is SiT :)

of course commenting upon it is not necessarily telling someone what it means, until a certain threshold is crossed, but whatever

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@bbyrd009 Very good post ..excellent! :)

As we have often said before...Jesus alone is all truth and is The Truth, because He SAID "I am the Truth".

Other than that...there is no such thing as 'absolute truth.'

Yep, the bible comes close...but even that has the fingerprints of man on it.
YET, I am 100% confident that God has indeed got His clear message across to us and we are without excuse. *If a donkey's mouth was good enough for God to get through to Balaam, then God can speak to us though any translation. :)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YET, I am 100% confident that God has indeed got His clear message across to us and we are without excuse. *If a donkey's mouth was good enough for God to get through to Balaam, then God can speak to us though any translation. :)
Amen!

I am spoiled by the KJV because it was my first Bible read. Is there no bias in me with regard to the KJV?

As over the years I have found what at times may appear to be flaws or inconsistencies in it, I have asked of God. Sometimes He has answered. The other times? Perhaps I asked amiss.

Here [on the this forum] we see the other guy doing apparently the same thing we sometimes do, simply defending "my own way" of believing, or doing, or...etc?

I have watched in particular the ones who now defend so strongly my own former place of connection with God. [Carefully no names so as not to unnecessarily offend.]

On the one hand:
"Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth." Prov 5:18

On the other hand:
"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matt 19:5-6

But, then it is back to the Bible of which I had never personally read in that earlier connection. Now after so long have I found that the Bible is dead?

AH, but there is a Resurrection! Did Balaam's donkey encounter something like it?

Reactions: Helen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now that is where it hangs or falls. Amen?

The ONLY way we can state Absolute Truth is by reading it aloud the scriptures.
Then, as long as WE do not comment upon it and tell someone "what it means". We have absolute truth in our mouth. The great problem arises when 103 people each try and tell us what that "Absolute Truth" was meaning!!!

And then...we have the added problem of which translation of "Absolute Truth" do we read aloud to be "correct" and absolute. o_O

That is my two cents. :)

ByGrace,

You don't want others to 'comment upon it' or 'tell someone "what it means". Then you state: 'The great problem arises when 103 people each try and tell us what that "Absolute Truth" was meaning!!!'

Now you've become the 104th person to try to tell us what 'Absolute Truth' is. It must be read aloud; Absolute Truth comes from our mouth. Your interpretation is that we cannot have Absolute Truth until we read it aloud. Thus, it is not Absolute Truth when it is written and not read aloud.

That is your interpretation of the meaning of Absolute Truth. What you are espousing is self-defeating because what you advocate is broken by you in giving us YOUR MEANING of Absolute Truth, when you tell others not to do that.

In my understanding, your interpretation of the meaning having to be spoken, is not supported by Scripture. What was Jesus' view of the OT?

It didn't matter whether Jesus was dealing with his disciples or the religious rulers of his day. When he referred to the OT, he regularly said things like:
  • 'But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you' (Matt 22:31 NIV). Not a word here about the need to 'state Absolute Truth is by reading it aloud'. No, it is absolute truth for those who READ it. We read what is written.
  • What about Matt 21:16 where Jesus quotes Ps 8:2?
    “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
    “Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read,
    “‘From the lips of children and infants
    you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?” (NIV) You don't have to speak it according to Jesus; just READ it.
  • Matt 12:3, 'He [Jesus] answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry?' (NIV). We don't have to speak a thing for it to be an absolute from Scripture. God instructs us by READING Scripture.
  • What did Jesus state when he was tempted in the wilderness?
    'The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” 4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God'. Jesus did not state that it is absolute truth because you speak it out. That sounds awfully like Kenneth Hagin's false theology of 'name it and claim it'. See my article, Double faults and not aces: Margaret Court.
I could go on with other examples but your claim that 'the ONLY way we can state Absolute Truth is by reading it aloud the scriptures' is refuted by the Scriptures above.

Then, as long as WE do not comment upon it and tell someone "what it means". We have absolute truth in our mouth', according to your interpretation.

It was absolute truth when it was originally WRITTEN in Scripture and not when it had to be SPOKEN.

Oz

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well you obviously read my post but did not understand what I was saying.
Because what you are saying that I said, I was not 'saying'...!!

Hmm just like the problem between us all thinking that we understand what the bible is saying. Yet only God does...we only "think" that we do.
I am allowed to say what I think and what I don't think "absolute is".

Everyone can have an opinion...just like you have.
"Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written.."
Only God knows Truth...we just hope we have got it right.
That is my OPINION.

Bless you....H

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well you obviously read my post but did not understand what I was saying.
Because what you are saying that I said, I was not 'saying'...!!

Hmm just like the problem between us all thinking that we understand what the bible is saying. Yet only God does...we only "think" that we do.
I am allowed to say what I think and what I don't think "absolute is".

Everyone can have an opinion...just like you have.
"Yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written.."
Only God knows Truth...we just hope we have got it right.
That is my OPINION.

Bless you....H

ByGrace,

Please learn to back quote so that others know to whom you are replying.

It was you who stated: '

Then, as long as WE do not comment upon it and tell someone "what it means". We have absolute truth in our mouth.

I replied to that and now you tell me that I 'did not understand what I was saying. Because what you are saying that I said, I was not saying'.

However, after all the effort I put into replying to you, you didn't have the courtesy to tell me where I got it wrong with your understanding of Absolute Truth.

Oz

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is sad to see the Roman Catholic church go to such lengths to maintain Mary's virginity, something that is a violation of biblical law to be married and fill the earth.
Hi,

Are you saying that according to biblical law once one is married they are to have children with their spouse? (presuming they don't have a medical condition to prevent pregnancy)

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that is where it hangs or falls. Amen?
Then, as long as WE do not comment upon it and tell someone "what it means". We have absolute truth in our mouth. The great problem arises when 103 people each try and tell us what that "Absolute Truth" was meaning!!!

And then...we have the added problem of which translation of "Absolute Truth" do we read aloud to be "correct" and absolute. o_O

That is my two cents. :)
Hi BG,

You read scripture aloud, don't comment upon it and don't tell anyone what it means.

I read scripture aloud, don't comment upon it and don't tell anyone what it means.

Fiftey other people read scripture aloud, don't comment upon it and don't tell anyone what it means.

All 52 of us come up with different meanings (truths) of that same passage.

Are you saying that all 52 of us have "absolute truth"? We should just keep "our truth" to ourselves? Keep it "in our mouth"?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009 Very good post ..excellent! :)

As we have often said before...Jesus alone is all truth and is The Truth, because He SAID "I am the Truth".

Other than that...there is no such thing as 'absolute truth.'

Hi BG,

Are you saying it is absolutely true there is no absolute truth. o_O

If there is no absolute truth then scripture isn't true. Right?

If God's message is so clear then why is there so much division in Christianity about the Truth of scripture?

Confused Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi BG,

Are you saying it is absolutely true there is no absolute truth. o_O

If there is no absolute truth then scripture isn't true. Right?

If God's message is so clear then why is there so much division in Christianity about the Truth of scripture?

Confused Mary
God's message is always clear to an open heart, but all of us keep closing our hearts. We all need His help even in keeping our hearts open.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's message is always clear to an open heart, but all of us keep closing our hearts. We all need His help even in keeping our hearts open.
If his message is "always clear to an open heart" then why are there so many different interpretations of the same scripture passage?

Let's say 5 different people come up with 5 different interpretation's of the same passage from scripture and they all say you have to believe them because your salvation depends on it. How do we determine which one of those 5 had the open heart?

IHS...Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If his message is "always clear to an open heart" then why are there so many different interpretations of the same scripture passage?

Let's say 5 different people come up with 5 different interpretation's of the same passage from scripture and they all say you have to believe them because your salvation depends on it. How do we determine which one of those 5 had the open heart?

IHS...Mary
We don't make the determination. God does. For sure people will make determinations on this, but if God is not in them they are likely to be wrong. The secret of course for each of us so that we may know that the way we are going is the right way is to always recognize His voice.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

"O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!" Psalm 119:5

"But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead." Matt 8:22

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." John 10:4

But you and I must open the door into us for Him:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Rev 3:20

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Mary had lots of kids.
Bible says so.

Rollo,

I do wish you would provide us with Scripture to support this statement. I'm not saying I disagree or agree, but with your assertion I have no way of checking which Scriptures you are referring to that support your statement.

Please supply biblical evidence for your statement, 'Mary had lots of kids'.

Oz

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't make the determination. God does. For sure people will make determinations on this, but if God is not in them they are likely to be wrong. The secret of course for each of us so that we may know that the way we are going is the right way is to always recognize His voice.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

"O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!" Psalm 119:5

"But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead." Matt 8:22

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." John 10:4

But you and I must open the door into us for Him:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Rev 3:20
Dear sir,

You didn't answer my question. You talked in circles around it.

You made the statement that his message is always clear to an open heart. If what you said is true and His message is ALWAYS CLEAR then why are there so many different interpretations of the same scripture passage? Since there are varying interpretations of the same passage of scripture, and all claim the Holy Spirit guided them, then obviously His message ISN'T very clear which is OPPOSITE of what you are saying.

Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear sir,

You didn't answer my question. You talked in circles around it.

You made the statement that his message is always clear to an open heart. If what you said is true and His message is ALWAYS CLEAR then why are there so many different interpretations of the same scripture passage? Since there are varying interpretations of the same passage of scripture, and all claim the Holy Spirit guided them, then obviously His message ISN'T very clear which is OPPOSITE of what you are saying.

Mary
It is clear to God. It is clear to His sheep. If it is not clear to me or to you or to anyone else in a given moment then in that moment we are not His sheep.

Reactions: bbyrd009