It The Holy Spirit Understood Properly?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Let's talk about the matter of the Holy Spirit or should I say Separate (special) Breath from God that was promised by Jesus.

In the book of John, Jesus says the following to his Disciples in John 14:

If ye love me, my commands keep, 16and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you — to the age;............... 25“I have spoken these things while staying with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you. 27“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage. 28You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am. 29I have told you now before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.

This text marks the initial promise of the HS given by Jesus to those He would leave in the world after his resurrection. The fulfillment of what Jesus promised above came at Pentecost, most would agree. Notice in Acts 2 who received the Holy Breath at Pentecost, it was Jesus' disciples, not everyone. The special gift of Holy Spirit was promised by Jesus to a select group in His discourse in the book of John and we should not look at this promise as if He were speaking to us. Notice how the 'who' Jesus was addressing is identified in chapter 15:26-16:4

And when the Comforter may come, whom I will send to you from the Father — the Spirit of truth, who from the Father doth come forth, he will testify of me; 27and ye also do testify, because from the beginning ye are with me. 1‘These things I have spoken to you, that ye may not be stumbled, 2out of the synagogues they will put you; but an hour doth come, that every one who hath killed you, may think to offer service unto God; 3and these things they will do to you, because they did not know the Father, nor me. 4‘But these things I have spoken to you, that when the hour may come, ye may remember them, that I said [them] to you, and these things to you from the beginning I did not say, because I was with you;

After reading 2 Corinthians 5, I had to ask myself this question: How does one know they are "IN" Christ? Verse 5 seems to imply that those who are have been given a sample or deposit of God's Spirit which acts as a seal according to Ephesians 1:13-14 that was given in advance as a token of the inheritance which saints will receive, and which has been reserved for saints, for the glory of his praise. We see that the saints in the NT, especially in Corinthians who were sealed had powers that came along with the portion of God's Spirit that was given to them. Just an observation, but since I don't have those powers and abilities I am led to believe that i do not have the Spirit in me. I used to believe that the HS was in me, but now, I actually do not think that I am filled with the Holy Spirit. I wished I was, BUT no real evidence exists to say that I was, so for me to say that I was would be no more than wishful thinking.

Do you have the Holy Spirit living in you? If so, how do you know? Is it more than a feeling cause if it's only a feeling then that really means nothing because feelings can come and go and are usually dictated by our hearts which according to Jeremiah are "deceitful above all things"? Does being full of the Spirit mean that one should be able to do miraculous works? I think so, but you all tell me what you know or THINK you know.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but since I don't have those powers and abilities I am led to believe that i do not have the Spirit in me. I used to believe that the HS was in me, but now, I actually do not think that I am filled with the Holy Spirit. I wished I was, BUT no real evidence exists to say that I was, so for me to say that I was would be no more than wishful thinking.

Do you have the Holy Spirit living in you? If so, how do you know? Is it more than a feeling cause if it's only a feeling then that really means nothing because feelings can come and go and are usually dictated by our hearts which according to Jeremiah are "deceitful above all things"? Does being full of the Spirit mean that one should be able to do miraculous works? I think so, but you all tell me what you know or THINK you know.

if you are saved /born again you have the Holy Spirit
Romans 8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. are you under condemnation ? if your born again the answer is no 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

i have trouble understanding the things done in acts ..possibly different than compared to today i dont pretend to have all the answers .but its a spiritual birth by the spirit.
Acts 1:8 King James Version (KJV)
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. the power is the spirit.. i suggest you go through and read everything related to the holy spirit

Do you have the Holy Spirit living in you? If so, how do you know? accept it by faith what does the bible say ?

being full of the Spirit mean that one should be able to do miraculous works? NO being full of the spirit means you no room for anything else. miracles happen every day some we see some we don't. after i was saved i was put in as sunday school supt . th young adult teacher had lost his wife . had quit coming to church. another lady stepped in and we love her. she was my former first grade teacher also.. we was growing and all of a sudden the old teacher wanted his class back . it was creating confusion i didnt know much about being led of the spirit . i started reading every thing there was. praying asking God to help me.. to sum it up the former teacher backed off taking the class back . GOD worked it out through the holy spirit yes i had the spirit in me.

i will assure you others will tell you have to do thus and thus . you get the Holy spirit the moment your saved . you have to grow in grace and knowledge to understand .when the Holy spirit is at work. other times the spirit will work ahead of you . have things took care of and you not know it

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's talk about the matter of the Holy Spirit or should I say Separate (special) Breath from God that was promised by Jesus.

If ye love me, my commands keep, 16and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you — to the age;............... 25“I have spoken these things while staying with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you. 27“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage. 28You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I am. 29I have told you now before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe.

This text marks the initial promise of the HS given by Jesus to those He would leave in the world after his resurrection. The fulfillment of what Jesus promised above came at Pentecost, most would agree. Notice in Acts 2 who received the Holy Breath at Pentecost, it was Jesus' disciples, not everyone. The special gift of Holy Spirit was promised by Jesus to a select group in His discourse in the book of John and we should not look at this promise as if He were speaking to us. Notice how the 'who' Jesus was addressing is identified in chapter 15:26-16:4

And when the Comforter may come, whom I will send to you from the Father — the Spirit of truth, who from the Father doth come forth, he will testify of me; 27and ye also do testify, because from the beginning ye are with me. 1‘These things I have spoken to you, that ye may not be stumbled, 2out of the synagogues they will put you; but an hour doth come, that every one who hath killed you, may think to offer service unto God; 3and these things they will do to you, because they did not know the Father, nor me. 4‘But these things I have spoken to you, that when the hour may come, ye may remember them, that I said [them] to you, and these things to you from the beginning I did not say, because I was with you;

After reading 2 Corinthians 5, I had to ask myself this question: How does one know they are "IN" Christ? Verse 5 seems to imply that those who are have been given a sample or deposit of God's Spirit which acts as a seal according to Ephesians 1:13-14 that was given in advance as a token of the inheritance which saints will receive, and which has been reserved for saints, for the glory of his praise. We see that the saints in the NT, especially in Corinthians who were sealed had powers that came along with the portion of God's Spirit that was given to them. Just an observation, but since I don't have those powers and abilities I am led to believe that i do not have the Spirit in me. I used to believe that the HS was in me, but now, I actually do not think that I am filled with the Holy Spirit. I wished I was, BUT no real evidence exists to say that I was, so for me to say that I was would be no more than wishful thinking.

I must say, you ask some interesting questions for an agnostic. After reading this I understand why, as it appears you were Christian for a time.

Let me address the following first: Yes, the supernatural gifts were evidences of the being baptized in the Holy Spirit, but what you need to understand is what this expression means. Think of a cup. You can put water in the cup, you can fill the cup completely with water, or you can even go so far as to lower the cup filled with water into a large tub filled with water, thus causing the cup to become completely surrounded with water both inside and out. This is what the baptism of the Holy Spirit was, in more practical terms; the believers became utterly baptized within and without by the Spirit of God descending upon them and resting upon them in great power.

But this is not to say that someone who has not had this experience does not have the Holy Spirit within them. Jesus said "My words are Spirit and life," and Peter said that those who receive His word and let it grow within them become "born of incorruptible seed":

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever (1 Peter 1:22-23)

For someone to have quoted as much of the word of God in the OP, you seem like someone who has received the word of truth before. Do you believe it to truly be the word of God, or do you no longer believe it to be so? I ask because only if you believe it is would you allow it to grow within you, and it lead you to eternal life. (James 1:21).

Jennifer

Nov 22, 2019
Marksville
www.jenniferdianeaugustine.simplesite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You will have the characteristics of Jesus..and yes any work is possible if one believes...

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP only. first, the Holy Spirit is not a "It", the Holy Spirit is the Lord Jesus without flesh, without bone, and wothout blood. he is God alone.
26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.
the "Advocate", the Holy Spirit is JESUS, supportive scripture, 1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous".
the term "Advocate" is the same word for "Comforter" used in John 14:16.
G3875 παράκλητος parakletos (pa-ra'-klee-tos) n.
1. (properly) one called near (to give help).
2. an intercessor (one who entreats of behalf of another).
3. a comforter.
[(not given)]
KJV: advocate, comforter

Notice in Acts 2 who received the Holy Breath at Pentecost, it was Jesus' disciples, not everyone. The special gift of Holy Spirit was promised by Jesus to a select group in His discourse in the book of John and we should not look at this promise as if He were speaking to us. Notice how the 'who' Jesus was addressing is identified in chapter 15:26-16:4
well the apoatle Peter disagree with your assessment that the Holy Spirit is, or was only for them. listen,
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". (well it was for those at Pentecost), let's contuine)
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call".
so, is God still calling today? yes, is people still repenting today? yes, so the Spirit is for us today.

now the Spirit is called a HELPER, and if you're not doing anything then the helper has nothing to do. for a helper don't do it for you, he HELP you do what you're doing in service of God. and if you're not doing anything the Helper has nothing to do.

that one way of knowing that you have the Holy Spirit in or with you. another way is that if he leads you, and you do someone wrong, intentionally or not, to another person. (excuse my words, and I'm not cursing), but the Holy Ghost will worry the hell out of you untill you get it right with the pereson you wronged. this is better known as grieving the Holy Spirit. God want let you rest. now that one sure way to know that you have the Spirit in or with you. and there are other way to know too. but he is NOT to be a "FEEL" or feeling, or to think you have the Spirit with or in you, but you is to KNOW.

lastely, God has never left you, maybe you have left God, but be encourage, he is Faithful, and you might not be, but in the later part of ones life, (hopefully, earlier), one might come tothe realization that God the Spirit never left them, (just with them, even when we're doing wrong). he has Great patience. oh don't worry he can wait you out.... :) he has all the time in the world.

now my advice to you, rekindle the uniction of the Holy Spirit, but this time with "KNOWLEDGE".

PICJAG.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Other than Pentecost and for the household of Cornelius (1st recorded Gentile convert), when was the Spirit given by means other than the laying on of the apostle's hands in the new testament?

Reactions: Nancy

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
well the apoatle Peter disagree with your assessment that the Holy Spirit is, or was only for them. listen,
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". (well it was for those at Pentecost), let's contuine)
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call".
so, is God still calling today? yes, is people still repenting today? yes, so the Spirit is for us today.

Thanks for chiming in. The gift of Holy Spirit was promised to be given out in mass at a specified time in history, the last days, which Peter in the very chapter you quoted identified as being his time. This gift was to specified peoples (Jewish sons and daughters as well as those who were far off to quote the prophet Joel). Aside from this biblically specified time period, the gift of God's Holy Spirit was not given en mass and there was no formula one could employ to receive it. God simply gave it to select individuals as He saw fit.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Let me address the following first: Yes, the supernatural gifts were evidences of the being baptized in the Holy Spirit, but what you need to understand is what this expression means.

In scripture, I can only point to 3 possible instances where peoples were baptized in the Holy Spirit. Pentecost, the Household of Cornelius, and perhaps Saul. Other than that, it appears that the Spirit was passed on by the laying on of hands by those who bad received the baptism in the instances mentioned above (typically Apostles).
God's promise to pour out his spirit was a "last days" promise, and not open up a can of worms here, but the last days spoken of in scripture according to scripture where 2000 years ago.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for chiming in. The gift of Holy Spirit was promised to be given out in mass at a specified time in history, the last days, which Peter in the very chapter you quoted identified as being his time. This gift was to specified peoples (Jewish sons and daughters as well as those who were far off to quote the prophet Joel). Aside from this biblically specified time period, the gift of God's Holy Spirit was not given en mass and there was no formula one could employ to receive it. God simply gave it to select individuals as He saw fit.
Just as the apostle Peter said, Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call". don't leave off the last Part. for God was, is, and shall call all people, jew or not, but those who believe, as was with our brother Captian Cornelius who was a Gentile.

PICJAG.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In scripture, I can only point to 3 possible instances where peoples were baptized in the Holy Spirit. Pentecost, the Household of Cornelius, and perhaps Saul. Other than that, it appears that the Spirit was passed on by the laying on of hands by those who bad received the baptism in the instances mentioned above (typically Apostles).
God's promise to pour out his spirit was a "last days" promise, and not open up a can of worms here, but the last days spoken of in scripture according to scripture where 2000 years ago.

That would be opening up a can of worms, LoL. But I'll just leave it at this:

About your interpretation of what "the last days" meant, you have to consider that when Peter gave his speech in Acts 2, he was quoting Joel 2:28. But if you read the whole prophecy, Joel continues on from there to talk about how the sun would be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and fearful Day of the Lord came. Some Christians spiritualize this prophecy to say it was fulfilled in some figurative way as well, but the prophecy isn't figurative. It was and still is speaking of events that will take place physically on earth some day, and since they have not yet come to pass, this entire prophecy concerning "the last days" can not have been entirely fulfilled yet either.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
About your interpretation of what "the last days" meant, you have to consider that when Peter gave his speech in Acts 2, he was quoting Joel 2:28. But if you read the whole prophecy, Joel continues on from there to talk about how the sun would be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the great and fearful Day of the Lord came. Some Christians spiritualize this prophecy to say it was fulfilled in some figurative way as well, but the prophecy isn't figurative.

I would agree that the texts from Joel as well as Acts do not speak of the events as "spiritualized"events but rather actual happenings. Event with that being the case, the scriptural descriptions of the last days do point to the 1st century. I know many people today insist that we are "living in the LAST DAYS." Why? What exactly did the Bible mean when it described the "last days" and when will/did these days occur?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree that the texts from Joel as well as Acts do not speak of the events as "spiritualized"events but rather actual happenings. Event with that being the case, the scriptural descriptions of the last days do point to the 1st century.

In order to make this case, you would have to demonstrate that Joel 2:30-31 was fulfilled in the 1st century, and specifically how.
I know many people today insist that we are "living in the LAST DAYS." Why? What exactly did the Bible mean when it described the "last days" and when will/did these days occur?

It's generally a reference to the final days before the Messiah's return in power from Heaven, together with myriads of angelic hosts, who will execute judgment upon the entire planet.