Jacob's Pillar

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The Stone Of Scone (Jacob's Pillar)This study covers The Stone of Scone, by other names: The Coronation Stone, or Jacobs Pillar. This Stone was Jacob's Pillow the night he saw the Angels of God ascending and descending up and down 'Jacob's Ladder' in approximately 1759 B.C. [Gen 28:10-22]. This Stone was carried by the ten lost tribes of Israel as they migrated north over the Caucasus Mountains and into Europe settling it and eventually establishing the Americas. The Stone has been recently moved back to Scotland after 800 years. In A.D. 1296 the Stone was placed in Westminster Abbey, England, and has remained under the Coronation Chair till recently. Since then, every King of England has been Crowned while sitting over the Stone. Three times the kingdom would overturn, and then no more [Ezek 21:27], and since the Coronations happen over the Stone, then the Stone is the thing to follow. There is end time Biblical prophecy attached to the 'turning over of the Kingdom' and many believe this Stone (Jacob's pillar) figures into the prophecy. In the prophetical book of Ezekiel we read:Ezek 21:26-2726 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high.27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him. (KJV)Three times the kingdom would overturn, and then no more. (By the way, it doesn't say that the Stone of Destiny would only be moved three times. It has had many resting places in its history) But since the Coronations happen over the Stone, then the Stone is the thing to follow.Until recent months, the Stone, after three overturnings of kingdoms, laid cradled in the lower portion of the St. Edward's Chair (the British Coronation Chair) where it had rested for nearly 800 years. Today, it is in Scottish possession by decree of the Queen of England with the stipulation that it will be returned for the Coronation ceremony of the next Monarch. All Excerpts taken from: 'Jacob's pillar' by E. Raymond Capt & 'The Stone of Scone' by Reggie Keith "The Stone, weighing over 300 pounds, is rectangular being about 26" in length; 16" in width; and, 10.5" in depth. Across its surface runs a crack and some chisel-marks are still visible on one or two sides. There are two large iron rings (or some rust resistant alloy), one at each end of the Stone which hang loosely from eyes, made of similar metal let into the Stone."NOTE: In the Scottish National Library there is a Gaelic manuscript (by Dugald the Scot, son of McPhail, in A.D. 1467) containing the complete genealogies of the Scottish Kings, showing their descent through the Irish Kings by way of Judah, Jacob and Isaac back to Abraham. In Windsor Castle there is also a genealogical table showing the descent of the British kings from David through the Irish and Scottish lines. Thus the Monarchy existed long before there was a British Nation." Jacob's pillar (click to review) (p 55)A Brief History of the Coronation StoneIRELAND" The Chronicles of Scotland , Hector Boece (translated into Scottish by John Bellenden, 1531) tells us -- Gathelus, the ancestor of the Scots who came to Egypt when "in this tyme rang [reigned] in Egypt Pharo ye scurge of ye pepill of Israel" was given Scota to wife (Scota was the daughter of a Pharoah). "Lang tyme he landit in ane part of Spayne callit Lusitan" (later called Portugal). After this, he built the city of Brigance and "callit his subdittis [subjects] Scottis in honour and affeccioun of his wyiff." With peace, Gathelus "sittand in his chayr of merbel within his citie."[By the way, the name Scots is the same as the Hebrew word, Succoth and carries the meaning Wanderers. Scotland means Land of the Wanderers. But we're getting ahead of the story.]"Ancient Irish records, when referencing an "Eastern king's daugther", also mention an old man, a partriarch and prophet called "Ollam Fodhla" (Hebrew words that mean "revealer" or "prophet") and his scribe "Simon Brug, Brach, Breack, Barech, Berach" according to various spellings. Reportedly, they carried with them many ancient relics. Among these were a harp, an ark or chest, and a stone called, in Gaelic, Lia-Fail, meaning Stone of Destiny."The Annals of the Kingdom of Ireland, by the Four Masters speaks of Tea Tephi who married Eochaidh, the son of Scoti in Spain and requested "a choice hill as her dower in whatever place she should select it, that she might be buried therein. She chose the Hill Druimcaein, i.e., Teamhair [in Ireland]."[And did you know, Ireland is a derivative of an earlier name - Iverland, or Iverain. New Iverain was once a colony settled by the Militians from Spain, on the Iberian Peninsula. Iber is the same as the ancient Hebrew forefather Eber from whence comes the family - Hebrews! Well, enough of getting side-tracked. I've checked out too many old, spine-crackling books from the Oviatt Library at California State University - Northridge. Too many books that, until I came along, had not been opened except years earliers when the University was formerly named San Fernando Valley State College. I hope you go check it out! But let's get back to the story.]"In the Chronicles of Eri, by Milner, we find Eochaidh, the husband of Tea Tephi, associated with the Stone Lia-Fail. The account is titled, The Story of Lia Fail, and states: 'In the early days it was carried about by priests on the march in the wilderness [hence the much-worn rings still attached to it, one at each end]. Later it was borne by the sea from East to West - "to the extremity of the world of the sun's going" [an expression used by the Romans to describe Britain].'"There are many other variations of the story of the Stone being brought from Egypt to Ireland, which when added together present us with a rather confused story.... each of these, written in a tongue difficult to translate, gives its own aspect of the one great story. However, they all agreed in the following: The Stone, known as the Stone of Destiny, came from Spain, and before that, from Egypt. It came in the company of an aged guardian, who was called "Ollam Folla", Eochaidh (Eremhon) with his Queen Tea Tephi was crowned King of Ireland upon the Stone which remained at the Palace of Team-hair Breagh. It was the Coronation Stone of every "Ard-Righ" (High King) of "Eireann" for a period of about 1040 years."Archaeological excavations on the mounds at Tara have also revealed that ancient Tara was not only the Royal Seat or Capital of the Celtic Kings, that came from Spain, but it was also the nerve center of the country. Five great artries or roads radiated from Tara to the various parts of the country. Bards and Epic Poems extoll the beauty and grandeur of Tara."The great Ollam Fodhla and the Daughter of Royalty were buried at Tara Hill." Jacob's pillar (p 30-35) SCOTLAND"About A.D. 500 some imigrants led by Fergus Mor McErc (the Great), from the Irish Gaelic Kingdom of Dalriada, invaded the Western coasts of Scotland, the land of the Picts. After invading Scotland and returning home victorious, the Scots confirmed the Kingdom to him and his posterity by an oath. Fergus desired that he be crowned upon the Stone."Andrew of Wyntown (1400A.D.) in his ancient Chronykil of Scotland, gives the following account of the Stone of Destiny: 'A gret stane this kying then had - That fore this kynyes gete war made - And haldyne were a gret Jowal - Wyhthin the kynrky of Spayne hale - This kyng bad this Simon ta - That stane and in-tye ga, - A wny that land and occupy - And halde that stane perpetually.... - As every ne rechn and man may see - Broucht this stane wytht-in Scotland..."For a time Dalriada appears to have been dependent upon Irish Dalriada, but about 575 A.D. Aidan (son of Gabran, king of Dalriada) secured its independence and was crowned King of Scotland upon the Stone Lia Fail. For this occasion, the Stone was taken to Iona (a tiny island of the Inner Hebrides), Scotland by St. Columba, the missionary grandson of Fergus the Great. Iona is where Columba founded his first Scottish monastery. It was famous as a center of Celtic Christianity from where missionaries were dispatched for the conversion of the pagan tribes in Scotland and Northern England."Aidan was crowned King of Scotland in a coronation rite that has been used ever since by the succeeding monarchs of Scotland and England.... On Iona, the Stone Lia Fail continued to be used as the Coronation Stone of the Dalriadic kings until its removal to Dunstaffnage, on the mainland of Scotland just east of Iona... Tradition has it that the Clan Mac Dougall was made custodian of the Stone at Dunstaffnage till its removal to Scone, Scotland."In 843 A.D., Kenneth Mac Alpin was crowned on the Stone Lia Fail as the first King of the United Kingdom of the Picts and the Scots. One of his first acts as King was to found a church at Scone (near Perth, Scotland) because it was there that he had gained his principal victory over the Picts."King Kenneth II (d.995 A.D.) had the Stone placed on a wooden pedestal in front of the high altar of the Abbey of Scone.... The ancient Abbey of Scone was destroyed in 1559 A.D. at the time of the Reformation. Today... on Moot Hill stands a stone chapel, marking the place where the Stone of Destiny had rested and where the kings of Scotland presided over their Parliaments until Edward I of England removed the Stone to Westminster Abbey in 1296 A.D." Jacob's pillar (p 43-50)ENGLAND"John Harding, the English rhyming chronicler who wrote before A.D. 1465, says of Edward's removal of the Stone: "And as he came home by Skoon away,.. The regal there of Scotland than he brought,.. And sent it forthe to Westmynstre for ay,.. To ben ther ynnne a chayer clenly wrought,.. For masse prestes to sitte yn whan hem ought, .. Whiche yit it there stondyng besides the shryne,.. In a chayer of olde tyme made ful fyne"."British, Scotch and Irish records of the Stone of Destiny locate it at Tara, Ireland in circa 500 B.C., from where it was transported to Scotland in circa A.D. 498 by Fergus the Great. From there it was taken to Iona circa A.D. 563; then to Bunstaffnage from where it was removed to Scone, near Perth, Scotland. Finally it was moved, by Edward I, to Westminster Abbey, London in A.D.1296. Thus, from Tara to Westminster, covering over 1800 years of history, it was never carried to any appreciable extent. The mere removal from these places could not account for the wearing away of the Stone that was evidently caused by the friction of a pole used in constant carrying."Jacob's pillar (p 55-59) This Stone was carried by the ten lost tribes of Israel as they migrated north over the Caucasus Mountains and into Europe settling it and eventually establishing the Americas.And as we stated earlier: Until recent months (1999), the Stone, after three overturnings of kingdoms, laid cradled in the lower portion of the St. Edward's Chair (the British Coronation Chair) where it had rested for nearly 800 years. Today, it is in Scottish possession by decree of the Queen with the stipulation that it will be returned for the Coronation ceremony of the next Monarch

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I'm new here, but all I can say is you're a person after my own heart, if that says anything. Yes, I have that book and several of Capt's books and find them interesting and worthy to study. That's all I'll say for the moment.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good study and Capt really brings history alive.I finished his latest book about Christianity in early Ireland. Funny how history gets covered up so easily.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the information on this book.
smile.gif

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
What I find amazing is that people who claim to be sola scriptura, scoff at the early fathers at unreliable and "mere uninspired men" will believe old Irish legends.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe because God's truth works its way through the ages. In none of these old "Irish tales" do you see worship of idols. Neither is this a doctrinal issue for that matter. If you don't believe it, so be it. It's not Scriptural and no one ever made the claim that it was, so let's not get started on that topic because you will lose it, I promise.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(Denver;56978)
Maybe because God's truth works its way through the ages. In none of these old "Irish tales" do you see worship of idols. Neither is this a doctrinal issue for that matter. If you don't believe it, so be it. It's not Scriptural and no one ever made the claim that it was, so let's not get started on that topic because you will lose it, I promise.
I have better things to do than waste my time on this sort of stuff.
smile.gif

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(winsome;57025)
I have better things to do than waste my time on this sort of stuff.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
:study: