Jesus and Commands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ha, one v of Scripture throws another out? I don't think so wadr.
youd be surprised
Christ said ahead of our time that it is sinful to look on a woman with lust if your married so being a good Christian do you simply say well I can't keep that commandment because I'm not perfect and just go along with what the body wants to do?
And yet you do it anyway, you could just remove your brain than you would no longer sin, because you wont think, no thoughts noto sin. Simple.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One more to think about

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Act 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Act 15:26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just got an email regarding this discussion and it seems to me that the issue is with the translation of the Greek words with the Greek root G:2537 which is associated with a number of reference to Covenant, Commandant, testament etc.

If we look at the meaning of G:2537 its meaning is associated with making something fresh again, or like new again.

If this is the meaning we should consider for Greek words with the Greek root G:2537 embedded within them, then When Jesus spoke about the Law, he was making it like new again for his audience.

Sine he was making the Law like new again, He did not annul any of the Law with respect to God's covenant with all of Mankind.

Shalom

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The question is not wrong. It is a question. Does God keep the law? You can yes, or you say no. Which one are you saying?

Stranger
How do I answer a question I don't understand?
How does God keep the law?
HE MADE THE LAW.
The law did not make Him.

He keeps the law in the sense that God is a just God and He makes no mistakes regarding morality. In this sense He keeps the law.
But He came BEFORE the law...
He IS the law.

Do you keep to being human?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
YES YES!!!!!!

You cannot be more correct.

Part of reconciling scripture begins by understanding that translations are not the same as the original language. Most errors of understanding people get from translated scripture is because the translation has lost the intended meaning from the original.
If a person wants to understand the intent of the words God spoke to man in then you need to begin with learning ancient Hebrew.
Of course you're right.
I often ask what "believe" means in the greek, but I never get a reply because it doesn't suit some posters who believe they only have to believe with thier mind or heart, but not with their will. Believing in Jesus also means to will to do as He commanded.

Also, I don't know Hebrew or Koine Greek. I wish I did. But, in the end, it doesn't really matter. The bible seems to me to be very clear in what it teaches.

It's just that some do not like what it teaches.

Reactions: Questor

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
As "reasonable", "good" and "loving" parents, we set "rules" or "limits" for our children. These are the things we "ask" of our children. We do this, in order not to allow our children to run rampant, be "evil", do whatever they may deem "right" in their own eyes, in order for our children to be a "peculiar" people unto us.

What is the best manner in which our children demonstrate their love for us? Simple: do as we ask.

If a child was to be so rebellious as to not do any of these things, once they were "adults", we would throw them out on their butts. Hopefully that is not the case for anyone here.

So also, "God" has a people that are "peculiar" unto Him. A people who out of love and respect are willing to do as He asks of His people.

The big bad boogey man that is the "Law", is what "God" has asked of his people to follow in order that they might also be a people "peculiar" unto Him.

NIV Rom 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Romans 3:31 Do we then nullify the law by this faith?
Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

It is by the "Law", that we may know what "sin" is. (Yes, I know, I ended that with a preposition)

KJV 1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Very clear from my perspective.

Just as in Matthew 7:23, when Jesus says away from me you that ...

ASV Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

What is iniquity?

If the law is done away with, then according to what "standard" or "measure" may anyone be "condemned" or sent to "hell"?

"God" has set before us a "standard" or a "measure". Life or death, blessings and curses (cf Deut 11:26-28, 30:15).

We have the choice, we have free will. Either do and live, or don't and die.

ASV Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.

Our rules for our children, should impart to them to "love" their parents, and to "love" their fellow schoolmates, etc.. The "rules" we pass down to them, define "evil" behavior, as do they define "good" behavior. Just as the big bad boogey man that is the "Law" imparts to us how "God" desires for us to love Him, and how he desires for us to love fellow man. What is "evil" in the eyes of "God", and what is "good" in the eyes of "God".
I agree with all you've said.
What I'm not sure about is this:
Do we ASK our children to follow our rules
or do we DEMAND that they follow our rules?

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments were the "covenant" God made with Israel. God does not call Christians to obey the commandments of the Old Covenant. Instead, God asks Christians to obey His Royal Law of love, which is infinitely higher than any set of commandments etched in stone.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No, I would not. They in effect state the "reward". However they are not really new, for they are concepts mostly contained elsewhere in the Scriptures, large part in Psalms if memory serves. You who would love and obey the Law of "God", be careful you are not found attempting to add or subtract from it (cf Deut 4:2).
Jesus did state some new laws.
Every time He declared "You have heard it said.... But I say to you"
this is a change in the understanding of the O.T. law.
This is what it means that Jesus came to fulfill -- to make more perfect.
Otherwise He repeated many verses from the O.T.

I understand the beatitudes to be a teaching on how Jesus would want us to behave. Because if we behave that way we will be blessed (happy). And IF we behave that way, there will be a reward.

We are rewarded for following God, and when we don't we always end up paying. (reward vs curse).

So I would say that the beatitudes are a law:

Know that you need God.
Understand that we live in a fallen world.
Be gentle.
Be righteous in your dealings with others.
Be merciful to all. Practice your love.
Be pure in heart so you can hear God.
Make peace, not war.
Do not deny God.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS at the CROSS ................Changed a lot !!!!!!!!

????????????? Why did JESUS suffer so much ??????????????? TO help us Gentiles!!!!!!!!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Well sorry, can you make yourself righteous??? What have I to boast of, Christ Jesus and all that He has done, I have done nothing and can do nothing to earn anything.
Then you're going to have to stop saying things like this in post no. 69 which was to me:

And you are perfect because you did what?? We are perfected by Him and what He has done, it is not our doing, and it is why so many wont be ready for the wedding, as they wont have the garment he has given us to put on in preparation.

I never said I was perfect. You shouldn't put words in my mouth.
You claim many won't be ready for the wedding because they don't have the proper garment on. You don't know who has the proper garment and who doesn't so you shouldn't speak and act as if you do.
Only God knows who will be attending the wedding.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Seems there is a lot of confusion about "The Law." Perhaps many do not realize how the law was not just given to the Israelites, but the law was the Old Covenant. Here's the proof:

And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel. And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments (Exodus 34:27-28).

And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you (the Israelites) to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone (Deuteronomy 4:13).

But as Christians, both Israelites and Gentiles are called to a much higher law, God's law of love:

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will [future tense] make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will [future tense] put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people (Jeremiah 31:31-33)

Christians are to obey God's royal law of love, which is far and above the covenant made with Israel:

If, however, you are fulfilling the royal (Greek: the King's law -- or God's law) law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well (James 2:8).

And this is why Paul could write:

"But if you are led by the Spirit (the law of love that motivates God Himself), you are not under the Law" (Gal 5:18).
Does a new covenant nullify an old one?
Is so, which one?
(clue:none)

Also, you explained above the difference between the old and new covenant. LOVE. LAWS BEING WRITTEN ON THE HEART.

Does that sound to you like the o.c. and the laws of God have been nullified, or does it sound to you like a NEW WAY to keep them?

Reactions: Questor

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

????????????? Why did JESUS suffer so much ??????????????? TO help us Gentiles!!!!!!!!
I wish I understood your post.
I don't.
Wish to explain?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do I answer a question I don't understand?
How does God keep the law?
HE MADE THE LAW.
The law did not make Him.

He keeps the law in the sense that God is a just God and He makes no mistakes regarding morality. In this sense He keeps the law.
But He came BEFORE the law...
He IS the law.

Do you keep to being human?

My point is this. As you say, God made the law. It didn't make Him. The law is not over God. He does not keep the law. He simply acts as God. The law is a very small reflection of God with do's and don'ts given to man.

When you or I are born-again, we receive the very Spirit of God. Do we not? Just as God is not under law, neither are we under law. We operate by the Spirit. The natural leading of the Spirit will always lead us to the ways of holiness and righteousness in Him. It will never lead us in a direction of sinning against God.

So, when I say I am not required to keep the law, I am not saying I am now going to sin as much as I can because I am not under law. I am saying my mode of walk with God is no longer by law/obedience. It is now a walk by the Spirit/obedience. Which reveals all sorts of sins in me that the law doesn't even address at times.

I have listened to pastors for years who place such a heavy burden on the church in keeping the commandments. And though they have several reasons for doing this I'm sure, I think one of them is that they are afraid to trust their people in walking in the Spirit. They are afraid that their people are going to wind up sinning as much as they can which in turn makes them look bad. Is not this what Paul meant in (Gal. 6:13) "...that they may glory in your flesh."

Stranger

Reactions: dataylor

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I just got an email regarding this discussion and it seems to me that the issue is with the translation of the Greek words with the Greek root G:2537 which is associated with a number of reference to Covenant, Commandant, testament etc.

If we look at the meaning of G:2537 its meaning is associated with making something fresh again, or like new again.

If this is the meaning we should consider for Greek words with the Greek root G:2537 embedded within them, then When Jesus spoke about the Law, he was making it like new again for his audience.

Sine he was making the Law like new again, He did not annul any of the Law with respect to God's covenant with all of Mankind.

Shalom
Well said.
Why would God, who created the law for our benefit, decide to abolish it???

He only changed the METHOD by which it could be kept.
Seems easy enough to understand.

Written on stone it could not be kept.
Written on the heart it could be kept.
Ezekiel 36:26
Jeremiah 31:33

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commands were the actual Old Covenant (that's scriptural) -- a covenant made between God and unconverted, carnal human beings. God lives by His Royal Law of love, which cannot be defined with words -- and He asks Christians to do the same. However many Christians say, "But the Ten Commandments are so much easier!"

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New

I wish I understood your post.
I don't.
Wish to explain?

Eph. 2:

That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My point is this. As you say, God made the law. It didn't make Him. The law is not over God. He does not keep the law. He simply acts as God. The law is a very small reflection of God with do's and don'ts given to man.

When you or I are born-again, we receive the very Spirit of God. Do we not? Just as God is not under law, neither are we under law. We operate by the Spirit. The natural leading of the Spirit will always lead us to the ways of holiness and righteousness in Him. It will never lead us in a direction of sinning against God.

So, when I say I am not required to keep the law, I am not saying I am now going to sin as much as I can because I am not under law. I am saying my mode of walk with God is no longer by law/obedience. It is now a walk by the Spirit/obedience. Which reveals all sorts of sins in me that the law doesn't even address at times.

I have listened to pastors for years who place such a heavy burden on the church in keeping the commandments. And though they have several reasons for doing this I'm sure, I think one of them is that they are afraid to trust their people in walking in the Spirit. They are afraid that their people are going to wind up sinning as much as they can which in turn makes them look bad. Is not this what Paul meant in (Gal. 6:13) "...that they may glory in your flesh."

Stranger
I agree with you so much that I find it difficult to know where we disagree.

I agree with all you've said.
I'd say that sometimes I feel like I'm sinning for doing something that is not even listed anywhere. What is sin to one person may not be to another person. I might feel it's a sin to bother someone about something and so refrain from doing so, when someone else would have no problem with the exact same situation.

So, yes we walk by the spirit. I don't stop and check a list every time I have to decide something.

I think my problem is when you say we are not under the law.
I agree that we are not UNDER THE LAW. We are not following a list of laws but are following the love we feel for God, ourselves and others.

Maybe my fear is that new Christians could understand this to mean that the law has been abolished -- which I fear is what YOU are saying.
The law is still present. It is still useful and to be followed.

If murder was a sin before the cross, it's still a sin today. If coveting was a sin before the cross, it's still a sin today to covet what others might have. What has changed is that God has given us the power to not covet or to covet less through having the spirit of God, as you said, or some understand this as having the Holy Spirit helping us along. Same thing.

Could we say that we are not operating under the law but that does not mean that the law has been abolished? The laws of God have not been abolished - we still keep them. But we're operating under a different system.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The Ten Commands were the actual Old Covenant (that's scriptural) -- a covenant made between God and unconverted, carnal human beings. God lives by His Royal Law of love, which cannot be defined with words -- and He asks Christians to do the same. However many Christians say, "But the Ten Commandments are so much easier!"
Could you use the "reply" button so we know who should reply to you?
I think this was to me...

I agree! Folllowing the 10 commandments IS easier.
We, as Christians are required to go even further. Just as Jesus commanded in Mathew 5. If I hate my brother, I've already killed him.

OK. But this does not abolish the 10 commandments ---

This reminds me of the story of Ruth. In those days some of the wheat was left on the floor so that the poor people could come by and pick it up and not go hungry.

So, was it easier to leave 10% of the wheat for them,
or was it easier to leave what the heart said to?

It was easer to leave 10%...just as you said above.
God actually demands more from us than the decalogue.
But, what we give, we are to give with the heart.

Legalists and law-keepers are still following God with a heart of stone and not a heart of flesh. But if this is the best they can do, I do not condemn them; they're doing their best and as have been taught.