Jesus asks his Father to forgive

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 23:33 and when they came to the place that is called Skull, there they crucified him and the evil-doers, one on the right hand and one on the left.

Luk 23:34 And Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they have not known what they do;' and parting his garments they cast a lot.

Luk 23:35 And the people were standing, looking on, and the rulers also were sneering with them, saying, 'Others he saved, let him save himself, if this be the Christ, the choice one of God.'

Luk 23:36 And mocking him also were the soldiers, coming near and offering vinegar to him,

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luk 23:34 And Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they have not known what they do;' and parting his garments they cast a lot.

If the pharisees and Romans truly knew who Jesus were, would they have even dared to crucify him? I believe this is what Jesus was saying when he stated "for they have not known what they do". Their eyes were blinded by the darkness of sin, which wouldn't allow them to recognize their Creator. Especially after all the teachings and miracles he performed. The pharisees at least should of picked up on it. How terrible is sin. :(

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 23:33 and when they came to the place that is called Skull, there they crucified him and the evil-doers, one on the right hand and one on the left.

Reminds me of Jonah yet Christ was obedient even unto death.
Jonah 4:1-11
But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry. [2] And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that You are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repent You of the evil. [3] Therefore now, O LORD, take, I beseech You,, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live. [4] Then said the LORD, Do you well to be angry? [5] So Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shadow, until he might see what would become of the city. [6] And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd. [7] But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered. [8] And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live. [9] And God said to Jonah, Do you well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death. [10] Then said the LORD, you have had pity on the gourd, for the which you have not laboured, neither made it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: [11] And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

That cannot discern their right hand from their left hand…He asked Jonah “should I not spare?” Earlier Jonah said “for I knew that You are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repent You of the evil. “

Sometimes I think we become hard of heart and calloused like that saying we know God is gracious and merciful and slow to anger and of great kindness but only towards us, at the same time our bitterness, revenge, and anger can’t wait to see what becomes of those who hurt us. Yet here Christ is crying out “forgive them for they know not what they do”

What if Christ on the cross cried out, being angry and wanting revenge, “Was this not my saying Father? That I knew that You are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repent You of the evil.”…do not spare them!

Luk 23:35 And the people were standing, looking on, and the rulers also were sneering with them, saying, 'Others he saved, let him save himself, if this be the Christ, the choice one of God.'

Luk 23:36 And mocking him also were the soldiers, coming near and offering vinegar to him,
They gave Him gall and bitterness to drink …He gave them “Father forgive them for they know not what they do” to drink, Living water He gave unto them instead of the vinegar they gave unto Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the pharisees and Romans truly knew who Jesus were, would they have even dared to crucify him? I believe this is what Jesus was saying when he stated "for they have not known what they do". Their eyes were blinded by the darkness of sin, which wouldn't allow them to recognize their Creator. Especially after all the teachings and miracles he performed. The pharisees at least should have picked up on it. How terrible is sin. :(
To me it goes deeper than He s said “Father forgive them for they know not what they do” as Still a way to condemn them in oh if they just would have heard and listened and known who I am. They would not have crucified Me. With all due respect that takes His “forgive them for they know what they do” and turns it back around as not really “forgive them” but condemn them for if they had known they would not have crucified Him. To me He spoke no condemnation …no guile…no gall or bitterness…but His words of “forgive them for they know not what they do” was His discernment and verdict coming from the condition of His Heart and Mind; His nature that is like the Father. It fits perfectly with “God demonstrated His love for us while we were yet in sin” ..He said scarcely a few may die for a good man…but God demonstrated His Love not scarcely and for a few good men …but He demonstrated the Love of God for those held captive in sin.

Reactions: amadeus