"Jesus Camp" and the Pentecostal Movement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(medicalmatt;47679)
Most people today seem to have forgotten that the gift of tongues is (was, I believe) the ability to speak in another human language that the speaker had never studied. It's not the senseless babbling that most people today seem to think it is.Now I'm going to read the rest of the posts and find out what this thread is about
smile.gif

You do not know what the tongues are. The ability of speaking through tongues is our souls having direct communication with God. And the holy spirit can and does use tongues to witness to another person without the speakers knowledge. It's babbling to you because it's not meant for you to understand (because it's not for you).You just don't have a clear perspective.

adren@line

Feb 24, 2008
(walking4him;47667)
Why does it look odd? Like another poster said it's one of the gifts of the Holy spirit. Maybe you've grown accustom to the negative views in the media about speaking in tongues has received.
Its not normal. If I saw anyone doing it, regardless of religion, it would look odd. Ofcourse, its harmless, but it comes off to me as another odd ritual/practice akin to shia Muslims who slice their foreheads or Hindus who drink cow piss.Those two latter things probably appear odd to you as well, regardless of the fact that explanations exist.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(adren@line;47739)
Its not normal. If I saw anyone doing it, regardless of religion, it would look odd. Ofcourse, its harmless, but it comes off to me as another odd ritual/practice akin to shia Muslims who slice their foreheads or Hindus who drink cow piss.Those two latter things probably appear odd to you as well, regardless of the fact that explanations exist.
You're wrong. It's normal in many churches. However, it seems that baptists are against it. If anybody has any questions, I'll help them realize. Tongues are a gift of the Holy Spirit. That babbling you heard is tongues.Mainly it's used to edify yourself. But God can use it to speak to others through you without you knowing it. It can be in a form of a different language (that you do not know), just like the event in Pentecost. God also stated that in the latter days, he'll pour out his spirit.Don't go on thinking that tongues aren't for today, that's a gross mistake!

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
Hey Hey Hey, be nice Wakka!
smile.gif
For the record, I attend a church that leans towards Pentecostal, and supposed "tongue-speaking" occurs rather frequently. When it does happen, I respectfully sit there, see if I can get any edification from it, and pray for the speaker as well as the listeners. If something happens that is really over the top and makes me uncomfortable, I quietly exit the service without making a fuss (only happened once).I havne't seen anywhere in the Bible that says speaking in tongues is a soul's direct communication with God. If there is, and I'm misunderstanding the gift, I'd love to know! Would you explain your beliefs, and the Biblical foundation for them? I'll go open another thread on the topic in the General Christian Discussion forum, so we don't get off topic here
smile.gif
I really am willing to learn, if ther'es something I'm not seeing. I just really really don't see modern "tongue-speaking" as having a Biblical basis.