Jesus Christ The Great I AM

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No he doesn’t.

You are the one adding this to the scripture.

Jesus is in John 8:58 most certainly referring to Exodus 3:14, which is why the Jews responded as they did, "Then they took up stones to throw at Him", because they thought Jesus is blaspheming here. There is no other reason why the Jews would want to kill Jesus.

Reactions: 101G

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I thought people might find this interesting.

The theme of the Bible in a nutshell is God's relationship with man, and it is everywhere.
In Genesis, He is the Creator God.
In Exodus, He is the Redeemer.
In Leviticus, He is your sanctification. (To set apart for sacred use; consecrate. 2. To make holy; purify.)
In Numbers, He is your guide. (Forty years wandering.)
In Deuteronomy, He is your teacher. (Repetition of the laws.)
In Joshua, He is the mighty conqueror. (Conquering Canaan)
In Judges, He gives victory over enemies.
In Ruth, He is your kinsman, your lover, your redeemer.
In I Samuel, he is the root of Jesse;
In 2 Samuel, He is the Son of David.
In 1 Kings and 2 Kings, He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords
In 1st and 2nd Chronicles, He is your intercessor and High Priest.
In Ezra, He is your temple, your house of worship.
In Nehemiah, He is your mighty wall, protecting you from your enemies.
In Esther, He stands in the gap to deliver you from your enemies.
In Job, He is the arbitrator who not only understands your struggles, but has the power to do something about them.
In Psalms, He is your song-and your reason to sing.
In Proverbs, He is your wisdom, helping you make sense of life and live it successfully. WISDOM
In Ecclesiastes, He is your purpose, delivering you from vanity.
In the Song of Solomon, He is your lover, your Rose of Sharon.
In Isaiah, He is the mighty counsellor, the prince of peace, the everlasting father, and more. In short, He's everything you need. Warnings to the sinful.
In Jeremiah, He is your balm of Gilead, the soothing salve for your sin-sick soul. Backsliding, bondage and restoration.
In Lamentations, He is the ever-faithful one upon whom you can depend.
In Ezekiel, He is your wheel in the middle of a wheel-the one who assures that dry, dead bones will come alive again. Portrays the sad condition of Gods people and the pathway to future exaltation and glory.
In Daniel, He is the ancient of days, the everlasting God who never runs out of time.
In Hosea, He is your faithful lover, always beckoning you to come back-even when you have abandoned Him. The apostasy of Israel which is characterised as spiritual adultery.
In Joel, He is your refuge, keeping you safe in times of trouble. Divine judgments may be transformed into a season of blessing.
In Amos, He is the husbandman, the one you can depend on to stay by your side.
In Obadiah, He is Lord of the Kingdom. The doom of Edom and the final deliverance of Israel.
In Jonah, He is your salvation, bringing you back within His will. The lesson of obedience and the depth of divine mercy.
In Micah, He is judge of the nation. Dark picture of of Israel and the foretelling of the Messianic kingdom in which righteousness shall prevail.
In Nahum, He is the jealous God. The destruction of Nineveh and the promised deliverance from Assyria.
In Habakkuk, He is the Holy One. The mysteries of providence. How can a Just God allow wicked nations to oppress Israel.
In Zephaniah, He is the witness. Ends in a vision of the future glory of Israel.
In Haggai, He overthrows the enemies. He reproves the people for slackness in building the second temple but promises a return of God's glory when the building is completed.
In Zechariah, He is Lord of Hosts.
In Malachi, He is the messenger God. A graphic picture of the closing of OT history and the necessity of reforms before the coming of the Messiah.
In Matthew, He is king of the Jews. Showing the Jews that Jesus was the kingly Messiah of Jewish prophesy.
In Mark, He is the servant. Emphasis the supernatural power of Christ over nature, disease and daemons. All this divine energy exercised for the good of man.
In Luke, He is the Son of Man, feeling what you feel. The most complete biography of Jesus. It portrays him as the Son of man man full of compassion for the sinful and the poor.
In John, He is the Son of God. The narrative unveils Jesus as the Son of God and reveals his deeper teachings and two words echo throughout the book which are faith and eternal life.
In Acts, He is Saviour of the world. A sequel to the Gospel of Luke. Main theme the origin and growth of the early church from the ascension of Christ to the imprisonment of Paul at Rome.
In Romans, He is the righteousness of God. A masterly exposition of the need for, and the nature of, the Plan of Salvation. Part (2) Chs. 12-16. Largely exhortations relating to spiritual, social and civic duties.
In I Corinthians, He is the rock that followed Israel. Addressed to the Corinthian church. Leading topics—The cleansing of the church from various evils, together with doctrinal instructions.
In II Corinthians, He is the triumphant one, giving victory. Leading topics—The char characteristics of an apostolic ministry, and the vindication of Paul's apostleship.
In Galatians, He is your liberty; He sets you free. Addressed to the church in Galatia. Leading topics—A defence of Paul's apostolic authority, and of the doctrine of Justification by Faith, with warnings against false teachers and reversion to Judaism.
In Ephesians, He is head of the Church. Written to the church at Ephesus. An exposition of the glorious Plan of Salvation. Special emphasis is laid upon the fact that all barriers between Jews and gentiles are broken down.
In Philippians, He is your joy. A love letter to the Philippian church. It reveals the apostle's intense devotion to Christ, his joyful experience in prison, his deep concern that the church should be steadfast in sound doctrine.
In Colossians, He is your completeness. Written to the church at Colosse. Leading topic—The transcendent glory of Christ as the Head of the Church. This sublime truth calls for the abandonment of all worldly philosophy and sin.
In I Thessalonians, He is your hope. Written to the church at Thessalonica. It is composed of apostolic commendations, reminiscences, counsels and exhortations. Especial emphasis is laid upon the comforting hope of the future advent, of Christ.
In II Thessalonians, He is your patience and discipline. A sequel to the first epistle. Written to enlighten the church concerning the doctrine of Christ's Second Coming and to warn believers against unrest rest and social disorders.
In I Timothy, He is your faith. Counsels to a young pastor concerning his conduct and ministerial work.
In II Timothy, He is your stability. Paul's last letter, written shortly before his death, giving instructions and counsels to his beloved "son in the gospel."
In Titus, He is the truth. An apostolic letter giving counsels and exhortations to a trusted friend, who was pastor in a hard field. Special emphasis is laid upon the doctrine of good works.
In Philemon, He is your benefactor. A private letter written to Philemon, beseeching him to receive and forgive Onesimus, a runaway slave.
In Hebrews, He is your perfection. The transcendent glory of Christ, and of the blessings of the new dispensation, compared with those of the Old Testament. Key Word, "Better."
In James, He is the power behind your faith. Writer probably James, the Lord's brother. Addressed to Jewish converts of the dispersion. Main theme—Practical Religion, manifest manifesting itself in good works, as contrasted with mere profession of faith.
In I Peter, He is your example. A letter of encouragement written by the apostle Peter to the saints scattered throughout Asia Minor. Leading topic—The privilege of believers following the example of Christ, to have victory in the midst of trials, and to live holy lives in an unfriendly world.
In II Peter, He is your purity. Largely a warning against false teachers and scoffers.
In I John, He is your life. A deep spiritual message addressed by the apostle John to different classes of believers in the church. It lays great,t stress upon the believer's privilege of spiritual knowledge, the duty of fellowship and brotherly love.
In II John, He is your pattern. A brief message of John on divine truth and worldly error. Addressed to "The elect lady and her children." A warning against heresy and false teachers.
In III John, He is your motivation. An apostolic letter of commendation written to Gaius, containing character sketches of certain persons in the church.
In Jude, He is the foundation of your faith. Writer, probably the brother of James. Leading topics—Historical examples of apostasy and divine judgments upon sinners, together with warnings against immoral teachers.
In the Revelation, He is your coming King. Leading topics—Mainly a series of apoc alyptic visions dealing with events in re religious history. A great moral conflict is portrayed, between the divine and satanic powers, ending in the victory of the Lamb.
From the beginning of the world to its end, there is no place you can look and not see Jesus. He is everywhere. He is everything.
"He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."-- Colossians 1:17
Writer Unknown

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is in John 8:58 most certainly referring to Exodus 3:14, which is why the Jews responded as they did, "Then they took up stones to throw at Him", because they thought Jesus is blaspheming here. There is no other reason why the Jews would want to kill Jesus.

Then why did they not bring this up here:

Matthew 26:63
...And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Would it not have been a more desirable offense to convict Jesus of being God, instead of the Son of God?

Reactions: DNB

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” - John 8:58

What did Jesus mean by these words, that caused the Jews to want to stone Him to death, which would have been because they considered His words, blasphemy? It would be the same reason why they wanted to stone Him later, in John chapter 10, “The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone you not; but for blasphemy; and because that you, being a man, make yourself God” (verse 33). As they did in 5:18, “This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God”. What the Jews meant here by “ισον”, was that Jesus was here saying that there is no “essential difference” between Himself and His Father, as in 10:33. Though functionally, the Father was “greater” than Jesus during His Incarnation. (Luke 24:26; John 14:28; 17:5; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 2:7-9)

To get an understanding of what Jesus says in John 8:58, that got the Jews so enraged, we have to go to what was said in the Greek. "πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ γενέσθαι ἐγὼ εἰμί", literally, "before Abraham came into existence, I AM". The contrast between, " γενέσθαι" (was), that is, "began to be" of Abraham; and " ἐγὼ εἰμί" the "timeless existence" of Jesus, is very important. The Jews in had accused Jesus of making Himself to be "greater" than Abraham, and that Abraham actually rejoiced to "see" Jesus, which the Jews could not fathom. Abraham, says Jesus, had a "beginning" as he was born in time; whereas He did not have any "beginning", as He has always existed, which is seen in the force of the words ἐγὼ εἰμί", which is in the present, continuance. But, Jesus' words are far more important as to what they meant to the Jews, than caused them to want to stone Him. They very clearly understood Jesus here to claim the Divine Name, "I AM" for Himself. The Jews understood Jesus to refer to the Book of Exodus, where Moses asks God for His Name, so that he could tell the children of Israel Who had sent him to them. To which God replied, "Eheyeh asher Eheyeh" (Exodus 3:14), which is best rendered into English as "I am who I am". Attempts to weaken these words to, "I will be who I will be", etc, are quite wrong.

The Greek version of the Old Testament, the Septuagint (LXX), which was completed some 150 years before the Birth of Jesus Christ, and carried out by the best Jewish scholars, who would have been experts in both Hebrew and Greek, render the Hebrew of Exodus 3:14, by "Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν", which literally has the meaning, "I am He Who Exists", or "I am the Eternal One". Which is the basis of the Name of God in Hebrew, "YHWH". The LXX was the main Old Testament version that was used by the early Christians, though so who were more learned, used the Hebrew, like the scholar Jerome. Because the Christians made use of the LXX, the Jews in the 2nd century made their own Greek versions of the Old Testament. The first was done by Aquila in the first half of this century. And then towards the end of this century, another was made by Theodotion. Both these versions have rendered the Hebrew, "Eheyeh asher Eheyeh", in Greek “εσομαι (ὃς) εσομαι”, which is the future of “εἰμι”, “I will be Who I will be”. This was done not because they were being more faithful to the Hebrew, but, because it was to counter the Christian use of this verse for the Deity of Jesus Christ, when used with John 8:58.

Exodus 3:14, as translated from the Dead Sea Scrolls, into English, reads: "And God said to [Moses, “I] am that I am.” And he said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I am has sent me to you.’ ” (Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint, Eugene Ulrich; The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible). The Jews also recognise this to be the best rendering of the Hebrew text, "Te true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced “Yahweh.” This is confirmed, at least for the vowel of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the -yahu or -yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names. In the opinion of many scholars, YHWH is a verbal form of the root hwh, which is an older variant of the root hyh “to be.” Te vowel of the first syllable shows that the verb is used in the form of a future-present causative hiphʿil, and must therefore mean “He causes to be, He brings into existence.” The explanation of the name as given in Exodus 3:14, Eheyeh-Asher-Eheyeh, “I-Am-Who-I Am,” (Encyclopaedia Judaica). And, " And God said unto Moses: ‘I AM THAT I AM’; and He said: ‘Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel: I AM hath sent me unto you.’" (The Jewish Publication Society of America, The Holy Scriptures according to the Masoretic Text ).

The Hebrew verb here is, “hâyâh (’ehyeh)” which is the imperfect, “to exist, to be”. The imperfect also denotes habitual or customary action –past, present, or future tense. It also denotes incomplete action, whether in the past, present, or future. In John 1:1 we read, “was the Word...was with God...was God”. This does not mean as in our English, that refers only to the past. Here the Greek for “was”, is “ἦν”, which is the imperfect of “εἰμι”, and like the Hebrew “hâyâh”, denotes incomplete action.

It is the same Hebrew imperfect verb “hâyâh”, used in verse 12, where most English translations read, “I will be with you”. Youngs Literal Translation reads, “I am with thee”, which is right. Alost all these English Versions that read, “I will be with you”, translate the same Hebrew in verse 14, “I am Who I am”, or, “I am that I am”. As we have seen, the LXX translates the Hebrew, “hâyâh”, with “ εἰμι”, which is the present tense, literally, “to be, to exist”. And therefore "Ἐγώ εἰμι” denotes, absolute existence.

It is quite wrong to conclude, as some do, that this verb is always used in the “future tense”. We have examples like Jeremiah 31:9, “They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am (ehyeh) a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.”, and Micah 7:1, “Woe is me! for I am (ehyeh) as when they have gathered the summer fruits, as the grape gleanings of the vintage: there is no cluster to eat: my soul desired the first ripe fruit.”, and, Job 11:4, “For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am (ehyeh) clean in thine eyes.”. In each case the verb “’ehyeh” is in the “present tense”.

In John's vision of Jesus Christ in Revelation chapter 1, we read Jesus' words to John, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: and He that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hades and of death." (17-18). "ὁ ζῶν" (He that Lives), or literally, "The Living One", as in Exodus 3:14 in the Septuagint. On the words, "ὁ πρῶτος καὶ ὁ ἔσχατος" (The First and The Last), Dr J H Thayer, a Unitarian, says in his famous Greek lexicon, "the eternal one" (page 554), something that his own "theology" would never allow, as only Almighty God could ever be described as "Eternal", which he denied! In John's Gospel we have an interesting account of Jesus' arrest. "Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek you? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said unto them, I am (Ἐγώ εἰμι). And Judas also, who betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am (Ἐγώ εἰμι), they went backward, and fell to the ground." (18:4-6). Note, Jesus tells them in verse 5, "Ἐγώ εἰμι" (I AM), and when they heard this, they fell backwards. In the Gospels we read the account of the boat that the Disciples were on, was being tossed on the sea, and Jesus comes to them walking on the sea. " And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid" (Matthew 14:25-27; Mark 6:48-50; John 6:17-20). When Jesus says "it is I", the Greek is actually, " Ἐγώ εἰμι" (I AM), and this was enough assurance for the Disciples!

Jesus Christ IS The Great I AM.
the problem is that Jesus never says I am the great I Am, you have to add this into the scripture, kinda like 1 John 5 7 was added.
Claiming to be a son of the Most High is not claiming to be the Most High which is what Jesus did. Making yourself "elohim " is claiming to be a son of the Most High, we know this because after the pharisees said "you make yourself god" Jesus responded why are they stoning Me for claiming to be son of the Most High. Not claiming to be the Most High. At the trial Jesus was judged for claiming to be son of the Most High, the pharisees even said they had a law and Jesus broke it what was the law, he claimed to be son of the Most High, not Most High.
The trins know all this and omit all this information, very deceptive.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the problem is that Jesus never says I am the great I Am, you have to add this into the scripture, kinda like 1 John 5 7 was added.
Claiming to be a son of the Most High is not claiming to be the Most High which is what Jesus did. Making yourself "elohim " is claiming to be a son of the Most High, we know this because after the pharisees said "you make yourself god" Jesus responded why are they stoning Me for claiming to be son of the Most High. Not claiming to be the Most High. At the trial Jesus was judged for claiming to be son of the Most High, the pharisees even said they had a law and Jesus broke it what was the law, he claimed to be son of the Most High, not Most High.
The trins know all this and omit all this information, very deceptive.

sounds like a true Jehovah's Witness!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can Jesus Christ be the Son of God, without actually being God?

Well, How can we be God?

We also become the sons of God too!

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

You make no sense.

How does being the Son of God make Jesus God?

Please enlighten me.

Reactions: DNB

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, How can we be God?

We also become the sons of God too!

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

You make no sense.

How does being the Son of God make Jesus God?

Please enlighten me.

before I can "enlighten" you, there is one question that needs to be answered first. Is Jesus Christ a created being, yes or no?

Reactions: 101G

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
before I can "enlighten" you, there is one question that needs to be answered first. Is Jesus Christ a created being, yes or no?

The scriptures say that he is from everlasting.

So, no. He is not a created being.

But what’s that got to do with anything?

The issue I was addressing was that Jesus was not saying that he was the “I AM” in the scripture referenced earlier by @justbyfaith

And I do not challenge Christ’s deity, but neither do I push it on people as the scriptures do not push it as essential for salvation.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The scriptures say that he is from everlasting.

So, no. He is not a created being.

But what’s that got to do with anything?

The issue I was addressing was that Jesus was not saying that he was the “I AM” in the scripture referenced earlier by @justbyfaith

And I do not challenge Christ’s deity, but neither do I push it on people as the scriptures do not push it as essential for salvation.

It is very simple. The "Son of God" is a Title for Jesus Christ, in His Relationship with God as "Father", something that God is never called in the Old Testament. This is a Unique Relationship that Jesus has, and shows their closeness, which is very clear in John 1:18, "No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known". Here we have Two Person Who are called "Θεὸς" in the Greek text. The one "Θεὸς" which is the Word in John 1:1, Jesus Christ, Who "reveals" God to us in His Incarnation. As Jesus tells Philip, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). Not that Jesus and the Father are one and the same Person, but both are equally YHWH, which is what I AM really means in the Hebrew. To be the Son of God, is the same as "God the Son".

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
It is very simple. The "Son of God" is a Title for Jesus Christ, in His Relationship with God as "Father", something that God is never called in the Old Testament. This is a Unique Relationship that Jesus has, and shows their closeness, which is very clear in John 1:18, "No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known". Here we have Two Person Who are called "Θεὸς" in the Greek text. The one "Θεὸς" which is the Word in John 1:1, Jesus Christ, Who "reveals" God to us in His Incarnation. As Jesus tells Philip, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). Not that Jesus and the Father are one and the same Person, but both are equally YHWH, which is what I AM really means in the Hebrew. To be the Son of God, is the same as "God the Son".
So psalm 82 where the Most High is judging the sons of the Most High, this is actually the Most High judging His other Most High selves /persons? how many Most High s do you think there are?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John 8:24, Jesus is referencing back to Exodus 3:14 when He says what He says...

No he doesn’t.

You are the one adding this to the scripture.

I believe that you are simply in denial of the truth that is taught to us in John 8:24.

In His humanity He was created, in His Deity He is from everlasting to everlasting.

Rom 1:3, Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Isa 45:11, Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They do; in John 8:24 as it is compared to Exodus 3:14 with the biblical hermeneutic of 1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv).

Sorry my friend; none of those scriptures say that you must believe Jesus is God to be saved.

We are saved by the gospel preached by the apostles through the word of God.

1 Corinthians 15:2
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

If memory serves well, Paul nor any of the other apostles have once stated you are saved by believing Jesus is God; absolutely none.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry my friend; none of those scriptures say that you must believe Jesus is God to be saved.

You are in denial of what these scriptures plainly teach.

It is a logical fallacy, also, to say that because a specific passage is silent about a particular doctrine, that said doctrine is not a biblical doctrine.

God is Omnipotent, so I suppose that He could have condensed His entire message into a singular sentence; but He did not choose to do it that way. He gave us the whole Bible.

So then, if a doctrine is not in a specific passage but it can be found in other biblical passages, it is still a biblical doctrine.

For example, Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39 says nothing about faith.

But that does not preclude that faith isn't an element of what saves us; for other biblical passages show us that faith is indeed a presiding factor in that.