Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you, but many here would say that those Commandments weren't given to us.

On top of that, they claim that they were all nailed to the Cross.

If either of those are true, how do you suppose we are capable of breaking Commandments that were not put upon us, or that are no longer in effect?

In other words, how can we sin if either of those are true?
It is true that the Old Testament was given to the Jews. Still, if God says something is an abomination, it is an abomimation, no matter who the audience is.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that the Old Testament was given to the Jews.
How do you reconcile that belief with Peter's clarifying statement that 'NO Scripture is for any PRIVATE interpretation'?
2 Peter 1:20
ALL of scripture was given to EVERYBODY.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

To claim that the entire Old Testament was only intended for Jews to read completely throws the entire Bible into disarray. The Old Testament is literally the foundation of the New Testament. You can embrace NO Biblical Truths from the NT unless you are Jewish then. And the majority of the culminated Truths of Christianity come to fruition in the NT.

The only way possible for anybody to sin, which is quite clearly possible, is for the Commandments of God to be declared to The World. Which happens to be the Truth of the matter. If anybody takes the time to study these things out, there is ample evidence to support the fact that the 10 Commandments are now, and always will be, God's declaration of His Way of living life righteously. Plain and simple.

Jesus lived by them, as did all of His disciples and the Apostles. It's simple. Today all the naysayers work tirelessly to complicate the simple Truths of scripture, but if anybody separates themselves from all the noise and nonsense of the world long enough to study and discover these things for themselves, the answers are plain as day and the Light of Christ will reveal them.

God bless all those who do.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you reconcile that belief with Peter's clarifying statement that 'NO Scripture is for any PRIVATE interpretation'?
2 Peter 1:20
ALL of scripture was given to EVERYBODY.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

To claim that the entire Old Testament was only intended for Jews to read completely throws the entire Bible into disarray. The Old Testament is literally the foundation of the New Testament. You can embrace NO Biblical Truths from the NT unless you are Jewish then. And the majority of the culminated Truths of Christianity come to fruition in the NT.

The only way possible for anybody to sin, which is quite clearly possible, is for the Commandments of God to be declared to The World. Which happens to be the Truth of the matter. If anybody takes the time to study these things out, there is ample evidence to support the fact that the 10 Commandments are now, and always will be, God's declaration of His Way of living life righteously. Plain and simple.

Jesus lived by them, as did all of His disciples and the Apostles. It's simple. Today all the naysayers work tirelessly to complicate the simple Truths of scripture, but if anybody separates themselves from all the noise and nonsense of the world long enough to study and discover these things for themselves, the answers are plain as day and the Light of Christ will reveal them.

God bless all those who do.
God was talking to the Jews at the time - there were no Christians, yet. That doesn't mean the Old Testament wasn't also meant for Christians.

However, Christians, for the most part, don't adhere to all the decrees, statutes, and ordinances found in the Old Testament. The question might arise: Which things in the Old Testament DO apply to Christians? I think I made the point in one of my posts that if God called something an abomination, it is an abomination, no matter who you are.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that the Old Testament was given to the Jews. Still, if God says something is an abomination, it is an abomimation, no matter who the audience is.
But you needn't go through the OT to try to decipher out of it which commandments you think your are beholden to, and which you think you are not. Instead, compare your options to trusting Jesus, and loving others, and let that direct you.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was talking to the Jews at the time - there were no Christians, yet. That doesn't mean the Old Testament wasn't also meant for Christians.

However, Christians, for the most part, don't adhere to all the decrees, statutes, and ordinances found in the Old Testament. The question might arise: Which things in the Old Testament DO apply to Christians? I think I made the point in one of my posts that if God called something an abomination, it is an abomination, no matter who you are.
Everyone I've ever met has their own version of the Law that they claim to keep. I've never met anyone who claims to hold to all the commandments.

What that says to me is that each decides for themself which Laws they think apply to them and which don't. It's not God's Law, it's their own law, inspired by God's Law, but it's not His Law.

And self examination is based on how someone thinks they are doing in keeping their custom version of "Law".

Trust and love are based is submission to Christ the Lawgiver, but now under direct personal rule.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you needn't go through the OT to try to decipher out of it which commandments you think your are beholden to, and which you think you are not. Instead, compare your options to trusting Jesus, and loving others, and let that direct you.

Much love!
The Old Testament imparts much valuable information.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone I've ever met has their own version of the Law that they claim to keep. I've never met anyone who claims to hold to all the commandments.

What that says to me is that each decides for themself which Laws they think apply to them and which don't. It's not God's Law, it's their own law, inspired by God's Law, but it's not His Law.

And self examination is based on how someone thinks they are doing in keeping their custom version of "Law".

Trust and love are based is submission to Christ the Lawgiver, but now under direct personal rule.

Much love!
First you have to define "commandment."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament imparts much valuable information.
Yes, of course it does, but what it does not do is place us who are in Christ to be under it's Law. We serve Christ, not OT commandments given to Israel.

God won't contradict Himself, but that doesn't make the one thing the same as the other.

Much love!

Reactions: HisLife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First you have to define "commandment."
How about in the normal and customary way.

Jesus is our personal Master. Shall we tell our Master, No, not what you say to me, what you said to them!

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, of course it does, but what it does not do is place us who are in Christ to be under it's Law. We serve Christ, not OT commandments given to Israel.

God won't contradict Himself, but that doesn't make the one thing the same as the other.

Much love!
I say it over and over - if we sin, we bring trouble into our lives. That would explain why Jesus told us not to sin (Matthew 4:17).

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus is our personal Master. Shall we tell our Master, No, not what you say to me, what you said to them!

Much love!
Normal and customary way?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
“You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'" Luke 18:20 RSV

Is there any reason to break these commandments?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'" Luke 18:20 RSV

Is there any reason to break these commandments?
We are to trust and love, and if you do these, you will fulfull everything else.

If you want to trade Jesus' commandments to us for His commandments to others, that's between you and Jesus.

Much love!

Reactions: HisLife

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to trust and love, and if you do these, you will fulfull everything else.

If you want to trade Jesus' commandments to us for His commandments to others, that's between you and Jesus.

Much love!
I hope your definition of "love" includes resisting the temptation to sin.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope your definition of "love" includes resisting the temptation to sin.
The answer to sin is to trust Jesus, and love others. If you do this, you will do all that is needed, and all will be fulfilled.

Do you not think so? Why do you want to keep your focus on someone else's Laws, when you have your own commandments? Trust and Love. Is that somehow lacking in your eyes? I'm asking seriously. What is it about committing yourself to trust Jesus and love others, as He has commanded us, that you find lacking? Falls short? Have to keep adding back the OT commandments to Israel?

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer to sin is to trust Jesus, and love others. If you do this, you will do all that is needed, and all will be fulfilled.

Do you not think so? Why do you want to keep your focus on someone else's Laws, when you have your own commandments? Trust and Love. Is that somehow lacking in your eyes? I'm asking seriously. What is it about committing yourself to trust Jesus and love others, as He has commanded us, that you find lacking? Falls short? Have to keep adding back the OT commandments to Israel?

Much love!
It takes some effort to resist temptation, and if we don't, trouble comes into our lives.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say it over and over - if we sin, we bring trouble into our lives. That would explain why Jesus told us not to sin (Matthew 4:17).
Actually, while Jesus did tell people to "sin no more", in this verse, He's actually saying something a little different, to repent, which is to have a new mind.

While I don't discount "avoiding trouble" as a reason to not sin, I don't think it's the best reason. I think the very best reason to not sin is because you are too busying caring for others to commit sins. And when faced with circumstances which may test us, test our faith in Jesus' ability to deliver us, we just continue to trust Jesus, and His care for us.

We care for others, we allow Jesus to care for us, and as we do these things, our lives are as Jesus makes them. Which will not include sin.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My definition of "Christian love" is to be dedicated to the well being of others.

Much love!
Don't forget the first and great commandment - to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul (Matthew 22:34-40).