Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law

Mosaic Law - was the precursor to the BIG PICTURE.

Rules, Laws, Commands, Regulations, Precepts;
ARE in the most Basic sense...FOR: the "uninformed".

Review History...the Creation of man...
Adult body...Yet "uninformed", what is this, what is that, what is it for, what is it not for...NO experience, NO trials, NO testing....SAME as a new born babe...A babe, learning bit by bit. A child observing what others do and the result, and observing what others don't do and the result.

4,000 years of men learning, bit by bit, and ALL the examples of results for what men have chosen TO DO, and NOT TO DO.

* Don't, lie, cheat, steal, commit to one, then divorce, etc. WHY? WHY NOT?

* Every babe, begins in the same fashion as the first man... UNINFORMED, without Experience.

* OUR advantage is: Historical Documented writings....THIS was a successful outcome (pleasing to God)...THAT was a successful outcome (pleasing to the man....but NOT pleasing to God)!

* POINT BEING
ALL the TEACHINGS of relationships BETWEEN man and man....ARE "practice" sessions...
"Practicing" any one thing, is espressly intended to establish a HABIT ... an ease of that Habit BEING a NATURAL effort (rather than a dredging effort of trying and trying and trying and failing).

ALL the teaching of relationships BETWEEN MEN, ARE "PREPARATIONS".... FOR THE BIG RELATIONSHIP...Between ONE individual AND the Lord God Almighty.

Does God "REALLY care", that a man has lied to a man, cheated a man, married then divorced?
That may seem like a cynical question....
HOWEVER...lying, cheating, divorces among men ROUTINELY occur....BECAUSE...??
Men are NOT "all knowing". Not a secret. Men with the best of intentions, say they ARE going to do this or that....AND the effort fails. DID they LIE? Yup.

An individual mans "practicing" in relationships between mankind AND mankind....ALL boils down to a "PREPARATION" for a ONE on ONE relationship OF ONE man, AND the Lord God....

LYING to the Lord God;
...utterly unacceptable.
Committing to the Lord God;
...and then LEAVING Him
...utterly unacceptable.
Committing to the Lord God;
...and then CHEATING with belief in another god
...utterly unacceptable.
Committing THEFT from the Lord God
...Taking His WORDS and TWISTING them into LIES.
...Utterly unacceptable.

Nothing new...fathers of households for eons have SET the RULES...uses his overseeing, authority and power to ENSURE the RULES are KEPT...

Inanutshell...THAT ^ is WHAT JESUS "offered" mankind.
Submit to the Heavenly Fathers Offering, His rules, His way, His results....guaranteed, BY His Overseeing, His Authority, His Power...

AND THE PARAMOUNT...understanding.
Want a TRIAL, a TASTE, an
experience what a "commitment" is LIKE....??

SURE....no problem. Not only NOT a problem...
BUT...expressly OFFERED...
"TRY out, Take a TASTE, Experience, Test, see IF YOU LIKE IT"...
IT IS CALLED...the Lord God "WITH" you.

Don't LIKE IT? Spit it out, and go try something else.

LIKE IT? WILLING TO "EAT IT" ? NOW you have the Lord Gods ATTENTION, to exclusively GIVE YOU, what you ASK FOR....
The Fathers POWER "IN" you, to KEEP YOU FOREVER, IN BELIEF and FAITHFULNESS TO the Lord God Almighty....FOREVER...
(Which BTW IS the very premise of OSAS)...
A FULL and EXCLUSIVE commitment of dependency and TRUST in the Father Gods Offering and Promise.

Can ANY man, by his own POWER, perfectly KEEP any Law, Statute, Command, Precept ?
No.
WITH...and IN the Lord God Almighty...
A man IS KEPT, perfectably ACCEPTABLE, according to the Father God Himself.

Praise and Glory to God, His Grace, His Mercy, His Offerings, His Promises TO KEEP Forever.

Taken

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:21-24 KJV
21) Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22) And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23) And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Simplicity itself!

Galatians 5:13-14 KJV
13) For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Believe the Word!

Galatians 4:9 KJV
9) But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Much love!
I think you will find the Lord's commandments help define love. I don't believe we are required to observe all the statutes, ordinances, and decrees found in the Old Testament, but I also believe sin destroys our lives.

Reactions: MatthewG

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The punishment for the breaking of God's law was nailed to the cross. His holy law is eternal and like Him, does not change.
However, He is our faithful Father, and will, if necessary, discipline us. He is able to do whatever is necessary to correct us. He is loving in all His ways, and desires long-term good for us. In my opinion.

Perfectly expressed. Thank you

Reactions: Truman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we memorize them or allow them to be written in our hearts by God?
Having them in us is not meaningful if we do not also obey them. How does a person do that?

As we yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit within us, the Holy Spirit will guide and strengthen the new man of us to kill the old man of us. This is why Apostle Paul admonishes us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

"From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?" James 4:1

The battles rage within each of us to sin or not to sin. The power of God never loses, but we have authority over God within us. That is what men call "free will".

We can keep hold of our reins [effectively giving in to the old man] or we can surrender to God [giving the reins to the Holy Spirit within us]. Leading ourselves, we will lose. The Holy Spirit leading us, we will win. How many battles must we fight? Until all of those things which would lead us to sin have been finally overcome. When that is done, then the old man is dead and we with Jesus may say:

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father..." John 17:11

When Jesus prayed that prayer he had not yet gone to the cross but he had overcome the last temptation of his own old man [man of fleshly desires as per those listed in I John 2:16].

We [each one of us] are still in our own little world of temptation. When and if we have overcome the last obstacle fighting against the new man, we will be where Jesus was when he spoke of having overcome the world [John 16:33] even if we are still on planet Earth. Jesus was certainly still on planet Earth when he prayed that prayer [John 17].

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @amadeus

Like the way that you had put this: Should we memorize them or allow them to be written in our hearts by God?

That is a very good question indeed friend,

Thank you for that vital point,
With love in Christ,
Matthew G

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having them in us is not meaningful if we do not also obey them. How does a person do that?

As we yield ourselves to the Holy Spirit within us, the Holy Spirit will guide and strengthen the new man of us to kill the old man of us. This is why Apostle Paul admonishes us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

That is right. The more a person goes and looks towards God and the Lord Jesus Christ and continue to grow in knowledge and faith God through the person works through fruits of love, that are brought forth because of the things that He is need of what needs to be done, of course by each action taken by the individual.

Be if walking by the spirit, or if walking by the flesh which all of us know about already.

"From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?" James 4:1
https://www.christianityboard.com/bible/james/4:1/

Fights, fighting with other people, online, in real life, through social media, through the tv, through the school systems, through the entirety of the world. A world that has been saved now because of God through the Yeshua Christ paying the pentaly of sin allowing that anyone who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ who came died and was risen again by God; so that all people who place faith may become a child of God who is loved by the Father in heaven. With then the holy spirit resides in us that causes pure things from above in wisdom to come about that is God working through us as Christ being the vine, and us being the branches trusting and attaching ourselves to our Lord our God.

The battles rage within each of us to sin or not to sin. The power of God never loses, but we have authority over God within us. That is what men call "free will".

That is right, the power of the fighting between the individual and himself self. To have faith and love. To have no faith, and have no new life. No being born again for the unbeliever until they make the choice to start looking that way, then accept faith and become born again resurrected in to new life; just like Jesus Christ was resurrected. They are now spiritually resurrected with Christ as God rose Christ from the dead. Having a relationship with God and the Son, with the holy spirit/spirit of Christ indwelling with-in the individual who is now reborn and has made the choice to look towards God. God then starts working on them in their hearts and minds.

We can keep hold of our reins [effectively giving in to the old man] or we can surrender to God [giving the reins to the Holy Spirit within us]. Leading ourselves, we will lose. The Holy Spirit leading us, we will win. How many battles must we fight? Until all of those things which would lead us to sin have been finally overcome. When that is done, then the old man is dead and we with Jesus may say:

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father..." John 17:11
https://www.christianityboard.com/bible/john/17:11/

What an interesting read.

When Jesus prayed that prayer he had not yet gone to the cross but he had overcome the last temptation of his own old man [man of fleshly desires as per those listed in I John 2:16].

The old man, passeth away, thus comes new things from the new inner man or woman - new creation in Christ, child of God, believers, born-again.

Jesus prayed, a prayer to the Father, before going ever getting nailed to the cross that reminds me of the prayer when Jesus was really hurting and sad because of everything going on and Jesus was crying out to his Father, that not his own will be done but the Fathers will.

We [each one of us] are still in our own little world of temptation. When and if we have overcome the last obstacle fighting against the new man, we will be where Jesus was when he spoke of having overcome the world [John 16:33] even if we are still on planet Earth. Jesus was certainly still on planet Earth when he prayed that prayer [John 17].

Amadeus, thank you so much for sharing all of these great insights my dear friend, You share something that has not come to my mind in ages it seems.

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

GodISLove21

Sep 20, 2021
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6

“For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.” Romans 3:23

“For God so loved the world [that’s you!] that He gave His one and only Son [Jesus], that whoever [that’s you!] believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

You were created to know God in a personal way—to have a relationship with Him through His only Son, Jesus Christ! ✝️

How to Know God

Reactions: Truman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a difference for God's people?

Much love!
I would say that the memorization would be impossible for many people, be the goals the 1050 or 613 or 10!

At one time many years ago I could quote a lot of scripture not due to my efforts to memorize, but simply from reading and/or hearing many verses so often. At one time I was also able to state from the memory the 10 commandments.

Today most of that is lost. I cannot quote from memory John 3:16 that most common and beloved of verses. I could not recite the 10 commandments. All of this is so often lacking on my part even though I read my several chapters of my Bibles every day seven days of week and have done so for many years.

But... when I need [God's definition of need] something, God fills the need. I know where the verse is in my written Bible or, absent a Bible, the words needed are in my mouth. Remember that what we want and what we need according to God are not yet for most of us the same. Our growth should be toward that [our wants equal to our needs; our needs equal to the needs that God sees for us] but who is already there all of the time?

How much of our time belongs to God? One hour of one day of each week? How many do better than that? That out of 168 hours in the week? Who devotes 10% of his time [16.8 hours] each week to God alone? Help us dear Lord!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the other hand, when we sin, we bring trouble into our lives.
Naturally!

Just the same . . . If we attempt to live according to Law, we will be doing so on our own. Jesus commands us to trust Him, and to love others.

If that's His commandment to us, that's what I'm thinking He's going to be helping me to do.

If He tells me I'm dead to the Law, not under Law, will He be working in me to keep Law? I'm thinking not. He'll be working in me to trust, and to love.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Naturally!

Just the same . . . If we attempt to live according to Law, we will be doing so on our own. Jesus commands us to trust Him, and to love others.

If that's His commandment to us, that's what I'm thinking He's going to be helping me to do.

If He tells me I'm dead to the Law, not under Law, will He be working in me to keep Law? I'm thinking not. He'll be working in me to trust, and to love.

Much love!
When we sin, trouble enters our lives. The Lord's commandments help us identify sin.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we sin, trouble enters our lives. The Lord's commandments help us identify sin.
Absolutely!

We either trust or we doubt. Either we are loving others, or we are not. And in those to commands, trust Jesus, and love others, we can know everything we should and should not be doing. Not in a quantitative sense, that is, whether or not this act appears on a list, "do not touch, do not taste", but by whether this act fulfills, "faith expressed through love", which is a qualitative sense, able to make us wise to every nuance.

And the beautiful thing is, we need not concern ourselves with any of those lists of rules. Yes, they can give us pointers in the right direction. To me, the difference could be expressed as the Law is telling you to head east out of the city, after you've reached the country, go towards the larger city towards the north.

Faith and love are like an interactive road map, capable of zooming in on the very smallest of features. Should we stick to the "as the crow flies" directions? Ignoring which actual turns to make?

The Law says, Do not steal. It says, give to the one who needs. It says, leave some behind for the poor. Give some to the Levites.

The Apostle in the New Testament gives us a clue about what love says. Work with your hands so you have enough for yourself, plus extra so you can give it away. Look not on your own needs, but also on the needs of others.

Love says, I want you to be fed. Love says, I don't care about me, what I care about is you.

So then no matter what the situation, the answer is determined not by comparison to Law, but by comparison to Love. And to Faith. Not, is this within Law, but, is this trust? Is this love?

Much love!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We sin by breaking one of the Lord's commandments.
I agree with you, but many here would say that those Commandments weren't given to us.

On top of that, they claim that they were all nailed to the Cross.

If either of those are true, how do you suppose we are capable of breaking Commandments that were not put upon us, or that are no longer in effect?

In other words, how can we sin if either of those are true?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If either of those are true, how do you suppose we are capable of breaking Commandments that were not put upon us, or that are no longer in effect?

In other words, how can we sin if either of those are true?

Romans 5:12-14 KJV
12) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

On the one hand, there is the judicial imputation of sin, when Law is given, and broken. In the absence of Law, there is no imputation of sin, but it still has it's consequence of death.

Romans 4:15 KJV
Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Much love!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... sin is not imputed when there is no law.
... In the absence of Law, there is no imputation of sin, ...
... for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Thanks Marks.

I would still be interested to hear Bob's opinion.

Reactions: marks