Jesus could not do

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Absolutely! Teaching that good is dependent on evil is like saying heat is dependent on cold. If Good was dependent on Evil - we would have had to sin in the Garden to know good and the Devil would have to exist to define God. Dualism has no place in Christianity.

THANKYOU!!!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I wonder if there's more of a point to this.

I don't think that it's that God is held back by our lack of faith. Jesus even pulled Peter out of the water and said,,,,, "Oh ye of little faith.....".

Maybe the reason Jesus could do no mighty work there was because it wouldnt' do any good.

I wonder also, if a might work would be conversion of unbelievers. I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible that says, healing and the like are mighty works. Although, they seem mighty. Which is the most important? Salvation.

So, Jesus saying a prophet is not without honor except in his own house,,,,, Might show that they only believed him to be the carpenter, Joes son. In other words, Jesus tried to proclaim his divinity, yet was scoffed at and mocked because of who they believed him to truely be.

There has been nothing that held back the hand of God, If God choses to do something it will be done. Just as God said, "I cause the rain to fall on the wicked and the righteous", and also, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy".

The one thing that God doesn't force is faith.
Take note, even though Peter had "little faith" he walked on the water.

Matthew 14:29 (NKJV)
[sup]29 [/sup]So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I wonder if there's more of a point to this.

I don't think that it's that God is held back by our lack of faith. Jesus even pulled Peter out of the water and said,,,,, "Oh ye of little faith.....".

Maybe the reason Jesus could do no mighty work there was because it wouldnt' do any good.

"It wouldn't do any good." Now there is a bit of wisdom that seems to have escaped notice.

Thank you WhiteKnuckle for writing that one.

Wouldn't do any good.

How many times have any of us NOT done a thing because it wouldn't do any good? How much more for the Lord?

There are two mutually exclusive attitudes about God and life that are held even by some of the faithful.
ONE is that God manipulates people like puppets.
ANOTHER is that people have sovereign exclusive rights to do and decide their own fate.

How many times have you been frustrated when trying to give someone good advice or to persuade them against a bad decision?
Sometimes it would be better not to try BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T DO ANY GOOD.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Don't get me wrong,

I'm not saying that Jesus didn't pay the price, and that God doesn't want us healed. However,, (don't I always have one of those?)

Who was it? I think maybe Paul suggested to Timothy? to have a little wine because of his health?

Seems to be that it's a bigger trick of the devil to accuse. Isn't it?

Take an asprin, the devil says, "You don't believe in God! You're failing by taking that!" How about some tea with lemon, and honey,, Do you have a cold and take medicine? Will the devil say the same thing? Yep!

I honestly don't believe the Lord wants us all to be healed of everything. For many, their infirmities are blessings to them and to others.

If I didn't have the infirmities I have (arthritis) , I guarantee you that I would be arrogant about my physical strength. If I didn't have the mental disorder I have (OCD, and general low seritonin), I guarantee, I would be arrogant about my intelligence. If I didn't have a blemish on my face (rosacia), Yep, I'd be conceited too.

God changes hearts, but, He goes the extra mile for those of us who need more work.

So, if I take anything to manage any of the above things, am I not trusting God? Or is God providing a mercy?

We could argue that my heart is bad and that the Lord hasn't changed it or I haven't allowed Him to change it,,,,,,,,,,, Or we can see that because of these things I am humbled where I otherwise wouldn't be. :)

Personally I have never been sick and thought it was a blessing.

That is a lie of the devil to try to get you to believe that.

Thomas-

Mar 24, 2011
Interesting is it not that in Mark 6:5 it says that Jesus could do no mighty works and then one verse down it says He marveled at their unbelief. Their unbelief was holding back the hand of God in their lives for provision.
Great post! I don't even remember reading that either so very interesting. It does seem there is a breaking point to evil deeds and unbelief which will separate you from both God and Jesus..

The LORD could no longer bear your evil deeds and the abominations that you committed. Therefore your land has become a desolation and a waste and a curse, without inhabitant, as it is this day. Jeremiah 44:22

And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith. Matthew 13:58

I was reading some other posts that said if you take a certain drug it will take away a head ache and it works,but praying about it usually doesn't work. The bible says God works through his people. If we know God works through his people then we should be looking towards other Christians to help us with our problems. If your sick go see a Christian doctor. Do we need to burden God with every head ache we have or should we just take a aspirin? I believe God answers prayers and I do pray to God on a wide variety of issues. But I also think Christians should use common sense and use the resources out there to help them with their problems.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Great post! I don't even remember reading that either so very interesting. It does seem there is a breaking point to evil deeds and unbelief which will separate you from both God and Jesus..

The LORD could no longer bear your evil deeds and the abominations that you committed. Therefore your land has become a desolation and a waste and a curse, without inhabitant, as it is this day. Jeremiah 44:22

And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith. Matthew 13:58

I was reading some other posts that said if you take a certain drug it will take away a head ache and it works,but praying about it usually doesn't work. The bible says God works through his people. If we know God works through his people then we should be looking towards other Christians to help us with our problems. If your sick go see a Christian doctor. Do we need to burden God with every head ache we have or should we just take a aspirin? I believe God answers prayers and I do pray to God on a wide variety of issues. But I also think Christians should use common sense and use the resources out there to help them with their problems.

I whole heartedly agree that they should use the resources available. That resource being the Word of God and our relationship with Him through prayer. First off if there is a headache it has a root cause. Normally it is an issue related to stress. If the pain from the headache is severe enough take an asprin to relieve the pain. Realize the stresser and repenting for what ever you are doing to cause this stress will many times take it away in minutes if not seconds.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

I wonder how many who think sickness is a blessing try to get rid of that 'blessing'. Probably most or all .

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010

I wonder how many who think sickness is a blessing try to get rid of that 'blessing'. Probably most or all .

Duckybill I have seen people that would be suffering and thanking God for counting them worthy to be chosen to suffer like that. I know it does not make sense but that is how messed up the devil and some people can get folks if they do not know that good and perfect things come from God and bad things come from the devil.

I agree religusnut... death, sickness, etc are God's enemies, not his friends... and our Father wants to deliver us...

And what good Father wouldn't want to deliver their children from such things...

I take responsibility for my lack of freedom... I believe it's my lack of faith and belief that hinders me and not God's lack of power or desire...

The same way Jesus looked at Jerusalem and weeped and said, "If Only!" I'm pretty sure my Father probably looks at me everyday and says, "If Only"

Father help!!!

Actually Robbie until Adam sinned there was no sickness or no death in this world. When Jesus returns there will be no sickness in this world. As long as there is sin there will be sickness and death.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Duckybill I have seen people that would be suffering and thanking God for counting them worthy to be chosen to suffer like that. I know it does not make sense but that is how messed up the devil and some people can get folks if they do not know that good and perfect things come from God and bad things come from the devil.
Have you known any who didn't go to doctors to try to get rid of the 'blessing'?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009

I don't believe so.

I don't consider any of my "illnesses" to be a bad thing. I honestly believe I'm a better person for having them.

With my arthritis, I can understand and sympathize with someone else who is physically weaker. This even gives me an oppertunity for their encouragement through any of my accomplishments I've made. Despite arthritis, I play guitar, am able to work a physically demanding Job, and I practice Judo and JiuJitsu, all of which are hard on the joints.

With my OCD/Seritonin inadiquacies, I can understand and sympathize with someone else who is mentaly weaker. Same thing, I have an oppertunity to help and encourage those who have other problems with their minds. There's many people who have a problem with their minds, and I'm allowed to see that, and am afforded understanding and great patience with them.

With my Rosacea, I can understand someone and sympathize with them that have unclear skin, or maybe even less than stellar looks. Same as the above, I can encourage those who have other problems with complexion. I'm not near as vain as I was when I was younger. I'm allowed to look past the flesh and looks of a person. Of course this should be normal, but, for me, apparently I needed a little boost.

I forgot to mention that I also have poor vision. Personally, I think glasses look cool. B)

God causes all things to work for the good of those that Love him.

Not to mention, just because you have hardships or ailments doesn't mean it's an evil thing. God is in the business of building character. Yes, he's in the business of healing, but, sometimes healing isn't what's best.

I'm up for facing challenges, and to be honest....... If my life were ever easy, or if my body didn't hurt, I would probably become very bored, either that, or I'd die of shock! :D

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010

Have you known any who didn't go to doctors to try to get rid of the 'blessing'?

Actually I have asked several of them if it was God's will for them to be in that shape why did they go to the doctor to get out of God's will but never got an answer, just a blank stare.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Don't get me wrong,

I'm not saying that Jesus didn't pay the price, and that God doesn't want us healed. However,, (don't I always have one of those?)

Who was it? I think maybe Paul suggested to Timothy? to have a little wine because of his health?

Seems to be that it's a bigger trick of the devil to accuse. Isn't it?

Take an asprin, the devil says, "You don't believe in God! You're failing by taking that!" How about some tea with lemon, and honey,, Do you have a cold and take medicine? Will the devil say the same thing? Yep!

I honestly don't believe the Lord wants us all to be healed of everything. For many, their infirmities are blessings to them and to others.

If I didn't have the infirmities I have (arthritis) , I guarantee you that I would be arrogant about my physical strength. If I didn't have the mental disorder I have (OCD, and general low seritonin), I guarantee, I would be arrogant about my intelligence. If I didn't have a blemish on my face (rosacia), Yep, I'd be conceited too.

God changes hearts, but, He goes the extra mile for those of us who need more work.

So, if I take anything to manage any of the above things, am I not trusting God? Or is God providing a mercy?

We could argue that my heart is bad and that the Lord hasn't changed it or I haven't allowed Him to change it,,,,,,,,,,, Or we can see that because of these things I am humbled where I otherwise wouldn't be. :)

Of course and I bet you don't believe that He wants us all healed you don't believe that He wants us all saved either do you?

I highly recommend you to to akwellspring.com and order the book titled Biblical Foundations of Freedom. You might also want to order the one titled In His Own Image as well.

Read through the BFoF first and at the ends of the chapters starting with Bitterness which is chapt 5 do the exercise at the end. Then progress through the next chapters and do the same.

IF you do that by the time you get through the end of the book you will find that some of those numerous illness you have are not there anymore. Non condemning. No hurt or guilt, just healing through the love of Christ.

Then take the IHOI book and read it through and you will find that there are something like 200 diseases listed and the spiritual roots are listed in those illnesses. It will be life changing for you.