Jesus diety

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard many tell me, by word of mouth or by text that the scripture at Philippians 2:6 states that Jesus is equal to God, or that he is God. I don't think that's the context of Philippians 2:6. In verses 2&3 Paul says, "Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others."
What I see Paul saying here in these verses is telling the members of the Philippian congregation to be humble and think fellow christians as their superiors. In other words each individual christian in the Philippian congregation is to think the other individual christians in the congregation as their superiors. They're all to be humble toward one another.
Then verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 says, "Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus"
Here in verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 it is directing the Philippian congregation members that he was speaking to in verses 3&4 to follow the greatest example of humility which is Jesus Christ. So I honestly don't think that Philippians 2:6 is telling those Philippian congregation members that Paul was speaking to in verses 3&4 of Philippians chapter 2 to think themselves equal to God, because verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 is very clear that these Philippian congregation members that Paul was speaking to in verses 3&4 to follow the greatest example of humility and have the same mental attitude as Jesus Christ. Paul had just told these Christians at verses 3&4 that they should have a humble attitude toward one another thinking other individual members in the congregation as their superiors. Philippians 2:6 is telling the Christians to follow Jesus example when it says, "who, although he was existing in God’s form, did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God."
So I don't see how this scripture here at Philippians 2:6 can prove Jesus is equal with God or that he is God. Jesus being God or equal to God isn't Jesus deity. Jesus is a god, you can even say he's the only begotten god, but he's not YHWH God.The only True God YHWH is the Father and God of Jesus.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree the verse is awkwardly worded but the key part is the negation, NOT.

Suppose a sentence read "I did NOT think of going to Paris." It's the height of absurdity to use that as evidence that, not only did I think of going to Paris, but I actually did go to Paris.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True God or false god? How many true Gods?

Much love!
Jesus is spoken of in the Scriptures as “a god,” even as “Mighty God.” (John 1:1; Isaiah 9:6) But nowhere is he spoken of as being Almighty, as YHWH God is. (Genesis 17:1) Jesus is said to be “the reflection of [God’s] glory,” but the Father is the Source of that glory. (Hebrew 1:3) Jesus in no way seeks the position of his Father. He said: “It is YHWH your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.” (Luke 4:8) He exists “in God’s form,” and the Father has commanded that “in the name of Jesus every knee should bend,” but this is all done to the glory of Jesus Father and God YHWH (Philippian 2:5-11) John quoted Jesus as saying that even men were called “gods.(John 10:34,35) John recorded Jesus’ saying he has a Father and God that was also his apostles and disciples Father and God(John 20:17). So I'm not going to call Jesus a liar when he says he has a Father and God that is also his apostles and disciples Father and God. The Jews recognized YHWH as the True God so since Jesus said he has a Father and God that was also his apostles and disciples Father and God then YHWH has to be the Father and God of Jesus, Jesus apostles and Jesus disciples. So would you call Jesus a liar when it says at John 20:17 that he says he has a Father and God. I'm not going to.