Why did Jesus not say explicitly that he was God in the Gospels?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let string G1 = "I am God".

Why did Jesus not say G1 in the Gospel?

Jesus knew he was God but decided not to proclaim it at the time. Why?

Paul explained in Philippians 2:

5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
He gave us his example of servant humility.

6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Jesus did imply that he was God in the Gospels.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus, among other things, was trying to set an example for us, I think. He didn't want us running around claiming to be God, so he didn't run around claiming to be God.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus claimed to be The I AM to the blind Pharisees at the end of John 8.

Ex 3:13-14
13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said,
Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
KJV

Rev 1:7-8
7 Behold, He cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen.

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, Which is, and Which was, and Which is to come, the Almighty.
KJV

That above in Revelation is Lord Jesus speaking of Himself. That "Alpha and Omega..." was first written about God in the Old Testament Scriptures.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: TonyChanYT

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
See Is Jesus God and follow up there
No. You stated "Jesus knew he was God" in your post in this thread, so I expect you to give a reference in this thread. You frequently ask other posters to give a reference; I am asking you for a reference to support what you wrote. As you also often write, this is the second time I have asked.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No. You stated "Jesus knew he was God" in your post in this thread, so I expect you to give a reference in this thread. You frequently ask other posters to give a reference; I am asking you for a reference to support what you wrote. As you also often write, this is the second time I have asked.
:) fair engough.

Jesus says in Rev 22:

12 “Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

Both the Lord God and Jesus have the title "the Alpha and the Omega".

For more details, see Is Jesus God

Reactions: Davy

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It depends the bible translation you use to see this. This bible pdf from the pishitta Aramaic to English uses in all caps that Messiah would say "I AM THE LIVING GOD" making it quite obvious Messiah knew who he was. Aramaic was His language so read the introduction to this Aramaic to English it is quite interesting.
No verses in modern translations have Jesus claiming to be "the living God". It would be in conflict with John 6:68-69 (WEB):

(68) Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words of eternal life.​
(69) We have come to believe and know that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”​

and the Pishitta Aramaic, which you linked to, also translates that verse as "the Son of THE LIVING GOD".

BTW, Wikipedia states:

The consensus within biblical scholarship, although not universal, is that the Old Testament of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from Biblical Hebrew, probably in the 2nd century AD, and that the New Testament of the Peshitta was translated from Koine Greek, probably in the early 5th century. This New Testament, originally excluding certain disputed books (2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation), had become a standard by the early 5th century. The five excluded books were added in the Harklean Version (AD 616) of Thomas of Harqel.​

So I think it is better to put trust in the older manuscripts that most New Testaments are translated from.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
:) fair engough.

Jesus says in Rev 22:

12 “Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

Both the Lord God and Jesus have the title "the Alpha and the Omega".
The angel is speaking to John, and it is unclear whether he is speaking the words of Jesus or of our Father, God. The expression is only used in Revelation 3 times (the reference Revelation 1:11 of the KJV is not genuine; more modern translations omit it). The first two references are clearly referring to God. To assume that the third is referring to Jesus would be foolish (a Trinity biased interpretation). It cannot be Jesus saying that as it would be in contradiction to Jesus' words in John 17:3 (WEB):

(3) {Father} this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.​

and Jesus saying in Revelation 3:12 (WEB):

(12) He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will go out from there no more. I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God, and my own new name.​

and other verses, which I won't bother listing. You're clutching at straws trying to make Revelation 22:13 prove that "Jesus knew he was God".

Jesus can't have known, or thought, that he was God, otherwise he was a liar for saying "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God" (John 20:17), and Paul was a liar when he wrote 1 Corinthians 15:24-28 (WEB):

(24) Then the end comes, when he {Christ} will deliver up the Kingdom to God, even the Father; when he will have abolished all rule and all authority and power.​
(25) For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.​
(26) The last enemy that will be abolished is death.​
(27) For, “He put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when he says, “All things are put in subjection”, it is evident that he is excepted who subjected all things to him.​
(28) When all things have been subjected to him, then the Son will also himself be subjected to him who subjected all things to him, that God may be all in all.​

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh, but He did! HJe was Jewish and when you look at several of HIs declarations from the Jewish cultural perspective, you come away knowing Jesus did declare Himself equal to God in nature.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus knew he was God but decided not to proclaim it at the time. ...
Those are speculations of someone who believes that Jesus is God.

Evidently, he never said it, neither as a man nor after being resurrected.

What is the OBVIOUS answer to why he didn't say it? Because he is not GOD.

If we are going to invent why Jesus did not say anything that someone has invented, we are inventing an unreal Jesus, who adapts to the one we imagine, but not the real one.

Do you know what Jesus actually said? He said this:

Rev. 3:12
“‘The one who conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out from it anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem that descends out of heaven from my God, and my own new name.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The statement “Jesus knew he was God”, given that Jesus didn’t say that, is a false statement.
It would be more accurate to say, “I believe I know what Jesus knew”.
It would be more accurate to say, “This is what I believe. I don’t actually know what Jesus knew, and only have what he said to work with”.
Delusion’s a slippery slope.

Jesus did imply that he was God in the Gospels
This assumption is based on the prior overlooking of what isn’t actually known.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Paul tells the Philippians that Jesus "was in the form of God" HE IS NOT TELLING THEM that Jesus was God. Obviously they are two very different expressions.

Jesus was a spirit next to God, so his nature was spiritual like God's. It is in that sense that Jesus had the form of God.

Having the form of God means living in the form of a spirit. The brothers of Christ will share with God and Jesus the spiritual form.

2 Pet. 1:2 May undeserved kindness and peace be increased to you by an accurate knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 for his divine power has granted us all the things that contribute to life and godly devotion through the accurate knowledge of the One who called us by his own glory and virtue. 4 Through these things he has granted us the precious and very grand promises, so that through these you may become sharers in divine nature, having escaped from the world’s corruption produced by wrong desire.

Traveler

Dec 20, 2023
Parksvill
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The child will inherit the traits of the parent. his Father is God so he will be as well but he is still not his Father.

So who is the Us in this passage.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
This is the Father talking to the Son or his word as Jesus was known back them. The statement is plural, not singular.

Last edited: