Jesus diety

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard many tell me, by word of mouth or by texting it to me that the scripture at Philippians 2:6 states that Jesus is equal to God, or that he is God. I don't think that's the context of Philippians 2:6. In verses 2&3 Paul says, "Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others."
What I see Paul saying here in these verses is telling the members of the Philippian congregation to be humble and think fellow christians as their superiors. In other words each individual christian in the Philippian congregation is to think the other individual christians in the congregation as their superiors. They're all humble toward one another.
Then verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 says, "Keep this mental attitude in you that was also in Christ Jesus"
Here in verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 it is directing the Philippian congregation members that he was speaking to in verses 3&4 to follow the greatest example of humility which is Jesus Christ. So I honestly don't think that Philippians 2:6 is telling those Philippian congregation members that Paul was speaking to in verses 3&4 of Philippians chapter 2 to think themselves equal to God, because verse 5 of Philippians chapter 2 is very clear that these Philippian congregation members that Paul was speaking to in verses 3&4 to follow the greatest example of humility and have the same mental attitude as Jesus Christ. Paul had just told these Christians at verses 3&4 that they should have a humble attitude toward one another thinking other individual members in the congregation as their superiors. Philippians 2:6 is telling the Christians to follow Jesus example when it says, "who, although he was existing in God’s form, did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God."
So I don't see how this scripture here at Philippians 2:6 can prove Jesus is equal with God or that he is God. Jesus being God or equal to God isn't Jesus deity. Jesus is a god, you can even say he's the only begotten god but he's not YHWH God.The only True God YHWH is the Father and God of Jesus.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the greatest example of humility which is Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ is only the greatest example of humility IF HE IS GOD.

Otherwise there have been countless humble human beings.

What is more humble than God, AS Jesus, humbling Himself?

"And being found in fashion as a man (in the form of a human), He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross."
Philippians 2:8

This Jesus is not God movement has no traction at all. It carries on, but it has no traction in Scripture whatsoever.

Jesus' deity is so fundamental to the Biblical construct as a whole, it is beyond ludicrous for people to embrace, and push, such a silly notion.

And to claim that Jesus is 'A' god, but not THE God, is quite obviously to claim that Jesus is ... a demon.

Surely
you understand that much.

Reactions: Stan B

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is only the greatest example of humility IF HE IS GOD.

Otherwise there have been countless humble human beings.

What is more humble than God, AS Jesus, humbling Himself?

"And being found in fashion as a man (in the form of a human), He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross."
Philippians 2:8

This Jesus is not God movement has no traction at all. It carries on, but it has no traction in Scripture whatsoever.

Jesus' deity is so fundamental to the Biblical construct as a whole, it is beyond ludicrous for people to embrace, and push, such a silly notion.

And to claim that Jesus is 'A' god, but not THE God, is quite obviously to claim that Jesus is ... a demon.

Surely
you understand that much.
When someone isn't keeping Philippians 2:6 in context with Philippians 2:3-5, I'm not going to agree with taking it out of that context just because of how someone chooses to believe. The context of Philippians 2:6 must stay in the context of what Paul was saying to those Philippian congregation members at Philippians 2:3, 4. Everyone wants people to only consider Philippians 2:6 onward and not consider Philippians 2:3-5 at all. The scripture at Philippian 2:6 wasn't saying to those Philippian congregation members at Philippians 2:3,4 that they were to think themselves equal with God, and since Philippians 2:5 was stating to them to follow the greatest example of humility, meaning to have the same mental thinking as Jesus, Philippians 2:6 isn't telling the Philippian congregation members to think themselves equal to God because even though Jesus was in God's form he never considered himself equal to God.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
even though Jesus was in God's form he never considered himself equal to God.
Again, every single point that is attempted against the deity of Christ is contradicted literally countless places in Scripture.

Jesus made many statements equating Himself with God.

"I and the Father are one."
John 10:30
"The Father is in Me and I in Him."
John 10:38
Jesus says HIS sheep are in HIS hand.
John 10:27-28
Jesus says HIS sheep are in HIS Father's hand.
John 10:29

Even Jesus' enemies understood Him to claim to be equal with God when they stated they were going to stone Him for making Himself equal with God.
John 10:33

One person after another will continue to make these nonsense claims, but they dissipate immediately in the Light of the Truth, in the Light of God's Word.

They are idle claims with nothing at all to support them.