Jesus' Gospel, and Paul's.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
The point was that the lot was a legitimate Old Testament method of knowing the will of God. And God honored it. It was legitimate in the choosing of the disciple who was to replace Matthias because the Holy Spirit had not yet come. We do not use it today because we have the Holy Spirit.

No, it is not my opinion that Paul was not one of the twelve disciples. It is the testimony of Scripture. (Acts 2:14) "But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them,...." This statement is made after the selection by lot of Matthias. Peter plus the eleven makes twelve. Paul was not one of the twelve.

Like I said: I noticed your "disclaimer", that the Holy Spirit had not yet come. And as I stated, given the fact that most seem to think they have and are led by the Holy Spirit, yet so many divisions exist, perhaps the lot would be a good manner of settling things.

According to 1 Corinthians 15:5. Jesus appeared to the 12, Judas was gone, and neither Matthias nor Paul were yet selected. So according to "Scripture", there were already 12 before either Matthias or Paul were chosen.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said, the lot is no longer a legitimate method. Divisions occurred in the Old Testament also.

In (1 Cor. 15:5) Paul is acknowledging Matthias choice though he was not yet chosen. As (Acts 1:21-22) says. "Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection." Matthias was there when Jesus appeared to the disciples.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
oh great, "we" again, forging new doctrines of men here now lol. All because "we" have the Holy Spirit. So, i'll just hold my breath waiting for that verse, i guess

Or...you could always try that little word F . A . I .T .H ...that work too :D

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul strangely writes in 1 Tim. 2:4, "[God] Who will have all men to be saved." This is Universalism at its heart. But, Jesus stated in Mat. 7:21, "Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads into life, and few there be that find it." Paul's "All men" is not in any manner the same as Jesus' "few."

You used a faulty translation.
it SHOULD read:

"This is good, and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."
Check any interlinear....