Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And where in these references are Christians instructed to keep Saturday sabbath or they'll go to hell???

Nowhere. Why are you so obsessed with hell?

All you are doing is reading in to these scriptures something they do not actually say, engaging in eisegesis.

All I did was quote them in answer to your question.

WHY was this not included in the Counsel at Jerusalem that met BECAUSE the claim had been raised that Christians were required to observe the Mosaic law in order to be saved?

Special pleading for an engraved invitation

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's an article that may help you out...

The key verses about the Sabbath are Genesis 2:2-3, Exodus 20:8, and Hebrews 4:8-10

The seventh day of the week was blessed and sanctified by God. The Israelites were commanded to keep the Sabbath holy. However, no command for Christians to keep the Sabbath is found in the New Testament.

The word sabbath is a transliteration of the Hebrew word shabbat (שַׁבָּת), meaning “to cease.” The first mention of the word sabbath is found in Genesis 2:2-3:

By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

These verses are frequently used to prove that the Sabbath rest was instituted prior to its inclusion in the Mosaic Law. However, there is no command in this passage to keep the Sabbath nor was it practiced prior to the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai. These verses merely document God’s resting from His work on the seventh day.

The Sabbath was ordained as part of the Mosaic Law in Exodus 20:8-11 . The nation of Israel was commanded by God to have a complete day of worship and rest. Specifically this was to be a day of worship as well as rest. It was to commemorate the fact the God completed the creation in six days. God did not rest on the seventh day because He was tired, but because there was nothing further that He wished to do. Exodus 20:8-11 also provides an excellent reason for the six days of creation being literal twenty-four hour days.

The purpose of the Sabbath for Israel is explained in the next verse, “I gave them My sabbaths to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them” (Eze. 20:12. The Sabbath was a symbol of a covenant between God and Israel, signifying that it was the Lord who set apart Israel from the other nations.

In Deuteronomy 5:12-15, the Israelites were commanded to keep the Sabbath as a memorial of their deliverance from Egypt by God’s mighty hand. In the Old Testament, violating the Sabbath resulted in a person’s excommunication from Israel, or even death (Num 15:32-35.

Following the Apostle Paul’s conversion, the synagogue was not his place of worship; it was his mission field. He went there to reason with the Jews.

“And according to Paul’s custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and giving evidence that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, ‘This Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you is the Christ’” (Acts 17:2-4.

The word sabbath only occurs two times in the New Testament epistles. For the believer today, a Sabbath rest is described in Hebrews 4:9 as a moment-by-moment rest by believers in the Lord by faith. This reference contains no commandment concerning which day the church should meet for worship.

In Romans 14:4-5, each believer must be fully convinced in their own mind as to the day of worship. In Colossians 2:16 , believers are admonished not to judge one another in regard to their views on the Sabbath day. This means there is no universal command for the church today to worship on the Saturday. The early church gathered together on the first day of the week to commemorate the Lord’s resurrection Acts 20:7. The New Testament does not equate church worship and Sabbath observance.

The Sabbath was part of the Mosaic Law from which the believer was set free (Rom. 8:1-4. “Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes” (Rom. 10:4. Christ redeemed believers from the curse of the Law (Gal. 3:10-13.

Paul describes the Law as a tutor that leads us to Christ “so that we may be justified by faith” (Gal. 3:24, Rom. 3:20. In Romans 10:4, Paul wrote, “For Christ is the end [termination or conclusion] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.”

Sabbath worship will be reinstated in the Millennium.

The people of the land shall also worship at the doorway of that gate before the Lord on the sabbaths and on the new moons Eze. 46:3.

And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me (Isa. 66:23).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's an article that may help you out...

The key verses about the Sabbath are Genesis 2:2-3, Exodus 20:8, and Hebrews 4:8-10

The seventh day of the week was blessed and sanctified by God. The Israelites were commanded to keep the Sabbath holy. However, no command for Christians to keep the Sabbath is found in the New Testament.

The word sabbath is a transliteration of the Hebrew word shabbat (שַׁבָּת), meaning “to cease.” The first mention of the word sabbath is found in Genesis 2:2-3:

By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

These verses are frequently used to prove that the Sabbath rest was instituted prior to its inclusion in the Mosaic Law. However, there is no command in this passage to keep the Sabbath nor was it practiced prior to the giving of the Law on Mount Sinai. These verses merely document God’s resting from His work on the seventh day.

The Sabbath was ordained as part of the Mosaic Law in Exodus 20:8-11 . The nation of Israel was commanded by God to have a complete day of worship and rest. Specifically this was to be a day of worship as well as rest. It was to commemorate the fact the God completed the creation in six days. God did not rest on the seventh day because He was tired, but because there was nothing further that He wished to do. Exodus 20:8-11 also provides an excellent reason for the six days of creation being literal twenty-four hour days.

The purpose of the Sabbath for Israel is explained in the next verse, “I gave them My sabbaths to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them” (Eze. 20:12. The Sabbath was a symbol of a covenant between God and Israel, signifying that it was the Lord who set apart Israel from the other nations.

In Deuteronomy 5:12-15, the Israelites were commanded to keep the Sabbath as a memorial of their deliverance from Egypt by God’s mighty hand. In the Old Testament, violating the Sabbath resulted in a person’s excommunication from Israel, or even death (Num 15:32-35.

Following the Apostle Paul’s conversion, the synagogue was not his place of worship; it was his mission field. He went there to reason with the Jews.

“And according to Paul’s custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and giving evidence that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, ‘This Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you is the Christ’” (Acts 17:2-4.

The word sabbath only occurs two times in the New Testament epistles. For the believer today, a Sabbath rest is described in Hebrews 4:9 as a moment-by-moment rest by believers in the Lord by faith. This reference contains no commandment concerning which day the church should meet for worship.

In Romans 14:4-5, each believer must be fully convinced in their own mind as to the day of worship. In Colossians 2:16 , believers are admonished not to judge one another in regard to their views on the Sabbath day. This means there is no universal command for the church today to worship on the Saturday. The early church gathered together on the first day of the week to commemorate the Lord’s resurrection Acts 20:7. The New Testament does not equate church worship and Sabbath observance.

The Sabbath was part of the Mosaic Law from which the believer was set free (Rom. 8:1-4. “Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes” (Rom. 10:4. Christ redeemed believers from the curse of the Law (Gal. 3:10-13.

Paul describes the Law as a tutor that leads us to Christ “so that we may be justified by faith” (Gal. 3:24, Rom. 3:20. In Romans 10:4, Paul wrote, “For Christ is the end [termination or conclusion] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.”

The people of the land shall also worship at the doorway of that gate before the Lord on the sabbaths and on the new moons Eze. 46:3.

And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, all flesh shall come to worship before Me (Isa. 66:23).

Thank you, but I've been an avid student of the Bible for 33 years on topics ranging from A to Z, and these points are just special pleading for things that no one questioned just a few decades ago. I've seen it all and I'm not looking for loopholes.

Thank you, just the same.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, but I've been an avid student of the Bible for 33 years on topics ranging from A to Z, and these points are just special pleading for things that no one questioned just a few decades ago. I've seen it all and I'm not looking for loopholes.

Thank you, just the same.

Well then, enjoy the requirements of your religion!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly!

NO command in the New Testament for Christians to keep Saturday sabbath

Very good! View attachment 39262

No, you're just twisting my meaning of the word "no."

No, my answer was not a non-answer.

You asked for evidence that Christ commanded the 7th day Sabbath, and I offered some.

You don't accept it, okay.

You shouldn't ask for things you don't want to acknowledge.

The commandments (all ten) are required behavior for followers of Jesus.

If you want to engage in wordsmithing and obsess about salvation and hell, that's your choice.

I'm not playing games.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then, enjoy the requirements of your religion!

I enjoy the privilege of walking with Jesus, thank you. I hope and pray that everyone will accept His invitation to come to Him weary and heavy laden, and find rest for their souls as I and so many others have.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I get it, once again... you have no scripture and now you are mocking the New Testament to your own detriment which is too bad for you.

If Saturday sabbath was a requirement for salvation as your religion claims, then it would have been included at the Counsel at Jerusalem but it was not.

If Saturday sabbath was a requirement for salvation as your religion claims, Jesus and His Apostles and the early church would have taught this but they did not.
Jesus not only taught by his words, he taught by his behaviour.......don't miss it!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is our example and what does scripture tell us...

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

He who created the earth in seven days, made the Sabbath when He created the world at the very beginning..

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

So the Sabbath was there from the beginning, made for man. and the Creator Himself kept the Sabbath day:

Genesis 2:1-3
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

and if you look closely at Christ words....

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator.
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He was the One who originally created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

"All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made." John 1:3

"He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not". John 1:10

"God, who created all things by Jesus Christ." Eph. 3:9

"For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him." Col. 1:16

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.
Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Blessed and made Holy...
"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11

And it was there from before the children of Isreal as you can see from the instructions from God.
"And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning." Exodus 16:23

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on the seventh day. Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is "Lord even of the Sabbath day" so He should know. He taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continues after the cross, and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles

Acts 13:44
And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 18:4
And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath and never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time.
Jesus lived under the law and fulfilled the law, hence the sabbath. The sabbath has nothing to do with the new testament or Christianity.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus lived under the law and fulfilled the law, hence the sabbath. The sabbath has nothing to do with the new testament or Christianity.

Did He fulfill abstention from murder, lying, theft, idolatry, adultery, then? He fulfilled all righteousness at His baptism. Are we to have nothing to do with righteousness? Isn't the law holy, just, and good according to Romans 7?

Christ is the end of the law as a means of making one righteous—not as the standard of Christian behavior.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Romans 14:4-5, each believer must be fully convinced in their own mind as to the day of worship.

No. Romans 14 doesn't mention the Sabbath, and if I were trying to validate the Sabbath from any text, you would demand a direct mention.

In Colossians 2:16 , believers are admonished not to judge one another in regard to their views on the Sabbath day.

No one can really judge anyone. God does that. And Colossians 2 isn't about the weekly Sabbath—it's about the ceremonial laws and Sabbaths that were nailed to the Cross.

This means there is no universal command for the church today to worship on the Saturday.

Exodus 20 is very universal. You're just manipulating terms that the Bible nowhere prescribes.

The early church gathered together on the first day of the week to commemorate the Lord’s resurrection Acts 20:7.

Why is it that a mention of a first day gathering is enough to establish Sunday sacredness for you but you need fire to come down from Heaven to validate the seventh day which Jesus kept and is already commanded?

The New Testament does not equate church worship and Sabbath observance.

Sure it does:

So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

The Sabbath was part of the Mosaic Law from which the believer was set free (Rom. 8:1-4. “Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes”

Sure. Christ is the end of the law as a means of making someone righteous—not as the standard for Christian behavior.

(Rom. 10:4. Christ redeemed believers from the curse of the Law (Gal. 3:10-13.

Sure. From the curse of being condemned by it, since He forgives and washes away all sin and empowers believers to live for Him by faith, which is by righteousness, which the law defines.

Paul describes the Law as a tutor that leads us to Christ “so that we may be justified by faith”

Sure it points out sin, and the opposite (like a mirror), which is righteousness. That's what the Holy Spirit convicts of—sin and righteousness. The law teaches; the Spirit convicts.

In Romans 10:4, Paul wrote, “For Christ is the end [termination or conclusion] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.”

Now you're just repeating yourself and manipulating the meaning of the verse. The commandment is holy, and, just, and good, according to 3 chapters earlier. How could it be terminated? Paul doesn't contradict himself, as folks would have you believe:

Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. (1 Corinthians 7:19)

No, it'll be continued in the Millennium

'