Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true...but do consider that it all comes under the form of parables, told and only explained to some, and only to all in spirit. Such is "every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

Psalm 78​
Give ear, O my people, to my law;
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
3 Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob,
And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers,
That they should make them known to their children;
6 That the generation to come might know them,
The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
7 That they may set their hope in God,
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments;
8 And may not be like their fathers,
A stubborn and rebellious generation,
A generation that did not set its heart aright,
And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
9 The children of Ephraim, being armed and [d]carrying bows,
Turned back in the day of battle.
10 They did not keep the covenant of God;
They refused to walk in His law,
11 And forgot His works
And His wonders that He had shown them.
12 Marvelous things He did in the sight of their fathers,
In the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan.
13 He divided the sea and caused them to pass through;
And He made the waters stand up like a heap.
14 In the daytime also He led them with the cloud,
And all the night with a light of fire.
15 He split the rocks in the wilderness,
And gave them drink in abundance like the depths.
16 He also brought streams out of the rock,
And caused waters to run down like rivers.
17 But they sinned even more against Him
By rebelling against the Most High in the wilderness.
18 And they tested God in their heart
By asking for the food of their fancy.
19 Yes, they spoke against God:
They said, “Can God prepare a table in the wilderness?
20 Behold, He struck the rock,
So that the waters gushed out,
And the streams overflowed.
Can He give bread also?
Can He provide meat for His people?”​
All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them,
that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.”​

The point is floating again - lol.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true...but do consider that it all comes under the form of parables, told and only explained to some, and only to all in spirit. Such is "every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."

Psalm 78​
Give ear, O my people, to my law;
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
3 Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob,
And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers,
That they should make them known to their children;
6 That the generation to come might know them,
The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
7 That they may set their hope in God,
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments;
8 And may not be like their fathers,
A stubborn and rebellious generation,
A generation that did not set its heart aright,
And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
9 The children of Ephraim, being armed and [d]carrying bows,
Turned back in the day of battle.
10 They did not keep the covenant of God;
They refused to walk in His law,
11 And forgot His works
And His wonders that He had shown them.
12 Marvelous things He did in the sight of their fathers,
In the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan.
13 He divided the sea and caused them to pass through;
And He made the waters stand up like a heap.
14 In the daytime also He led them with the cloud,
And all the night with a light of fire.
15 He split the rocks in the wilderness,
And gave them drink in abundance like the depths.
16 He also brought streams out of the rock,
And caused waters to run down like rivers.
17 But they sinned even more against Him
By rebelling against the Most High in the wilderness.
18 And they tested God in their heart
By asking for the food of their fancy.
19 Yes, they spoke against God:
They said, “Can God prepare a table in the wilderness?
20 Behold, He struck the rock,
So that the waters gushed out,
And the streams overflowed.
Can He give bread also?
Can He provide meat for His people?”​
All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them,
that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.”​

You know: "it all comes under..."

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't questioning your motives and I didn't mean to be critical, but I can tell you from experience that the "us-and-them" road is a long and lonely one because Christ never walks there.
I would disagree with that observation. Immanuel-Jesus was executed because the obstinate pride-full Sadducees and Pharisees refused to concede their understanding of "God's" words to them in the Bible,when The Word was there looking them in the face.

Immanuel-Jesus was killed by the ultimate "Us vs. Them" conspiracy. Both in the Hebrew temple and the Romans government.
The latter two also being united as the ultimate bullies.

Further, proper exegesis is critical I think, and recalling the teaching, as to rightly divide,divine, the word.

When someone who is in error keeps insisting everyone else doesn't understand,is missing the point, when they are in error themselves, I find it irresponsible to coddle that behavior that in assuming the stance then presumed themselves a teacher of the truth of God's word.

As such I make no apology for noting not just the errors,which can be detrimental to new Christians should they believe the error because no one corrects it so they then may know to exercise caution,and scrutiny going forward and for the sake of their own understanding, but also the
obstinate pride that perpetuated the errors without apology.

He never suffered bullies, though, and we do indeed have them, as you can see. But pride is a hard enough thing to measure in our own hearts and once found, even harder to root out.
I also noticed you were at times critical of their POV on this issue as well. And attempted correction,and even responded to their refusal to accept guidance.

Which is why your now softening your observations of their continued errors , while being critical of mine now, is a bit inconsistent with what should be the priority.
Rightly dividing the word. Rather than concern for not bruising a pride filled ego that thinks it is unable to need correction because he is right and we don't get that.

You seem to be doing fine here. I certainly enjoy your participation and your point of view. :)

Thanks. Same to you.:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would disagree with that abservation. Immanuel-Jesus was executed because the obstinate pride-full Sadducees and Pharisees refused to concede their understanding of "God's" words to them in the Bible,when The Word was there looking them in the face.

Immanuel-Jesus was killed by the ultimate "Us vs. Them" conspiracy. Both in the Hebrew temple and the Romans government.
The latter two also being united as the ultimate bullies.

Further, proper exegesis is critical I think, and recalling the teaching, as to rightly divide,divine, the word.

When someone who is in error keeps insisting everyone else doesn't understand,is missing the point, when they are in error themselves, I find it irresponsible to coddle that behavior that in assuming the stance then presumed themselves a teacher of the truth of God's word.

As such I make no apology for noting not just the errors,which can be detrimental to new Christians should they believe the error because no one corrects it so they then may know to exercise caution,and scrutiny going forward and for the sake of their own understanding, but also the
obstinate pride that perpetuated the errors without apology.

I also noticed you were at times critical of their POV on this issue as well. And attempted correction,and even responded to their refusal to accept guidance.

Which is why your now softening your observations of their continued errors , while being critical of mine now, is a bit inconsistent with what should be the priority.
Rightly dividing the word. Rather than concern for not bruising a pride filled ego that thinks it is unable to need correction because he is right and we don't get that.

Thanks. Same to you.:)

It seems you don't believe that I didn't mean to be critical of you. Fair enough. :)

• Love
Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You know: "it all comes under..."

Yes...the statements made are not made by me, but made by the Word of God of the Word of God, and only quoted by me. The stretch, if it is to be considered a stretch, is a stretch made by Him.

• Wow

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I believe you did not intend that. I just read it as a bit critical if only judgemental was your intent. No harm,no foul. :)

My intent was merely to encourage caution. I have so often allowed my own indignation, however righteous it seemed to me at the time, to cause undue harm to others and even myself. But I understand people view appeals to caution as criticism or judgment these days, so I try to assume the best and be prepared for the worst. I also ramble at times. :Broadly:

Have you seen this thread?

• Haha

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My intent was merely to encourage caution. I have so often allowed my own indignation, however righteous it seemed to me at the time, to cause undue harm to others and even myself. But I understand people view appeals to caution as criticism or judgment these days, so I try to assume the best and be prepared for the worst. I also ramble at times. :Broadly:

Can't we all? ;)

:jest:Oh yeah, that's a link I need to delve into.

And you shared it after your other posts of sage advice.;)
Though the dead horse abuse is news to me. I thought this thread OP was their one-off but, noooooooo. :hmhehm

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarneyFife, your post #134.

Do you think BigJ will Troll the Church of God, and the Eastern Orthodox Church members next? They also keep the seventh day Sabbath.

They could actually learn something if they sought information about the Jewish calendar and the period known as the ecclestical day.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarneyFife, your post #134.

Do you think BigJ will Troll the Church of God, and the Eastern Orthodox Church members next? They also keep the seventh day Sabbath.

They could actually learn something if they sought information about the Jewish calendar and the period known as the ecclestical day.

Well, I generally don't like to talk about people to other people but since he started a thread addressed simply to "Sabbatarians," I'd say he's equal-opportunity obnoxious. He seems to have a list of pet heresies. He's not so much different than many members in that respect, except he seems to delight in his work more than most.

I thought he was serious about the other "Questions" thread. I guess he showed me. He even chattered and I swung for the fences, but so far nobody in the outfield is moving toward the ball. I think it's gone, anyway.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Go back and see my post about the 10 Commandments in the New Testament.... they're all in the NT except for keeping Saturday sabbath

In the NT the "sabbath" means much more than than resting just one day a week like it did in the old testament and it's not called sabbath but rest which was the original reason for the sabbath in the OT

The rest believers receive by abiding IN Christ with their entire lives having ceased from their own work is what God wanted from the beginning and the OT sabbath was just a shadow of what was to come in the New Testament.

In the New Testament we are under a better covenant with better promises with Jesus Christ as out High Priest... it don't get no better than this! View attachment 39142
I wonder what your objection to remembering the Sabbath is? Perhaps you prefer to honour the day the Sun worshippers do?

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I generally don't like to talk about people to other people but since he started a thread addressed simply to "Sabbatarians," I'd say he's equal-opportunity obnoxious. He seems to have a list of pet heresies. He's not so much different than many members in that respect, except he seems to delight in his work more than most.

I thought he was serious about the other "Questions" thread. I guess he showed me. He even chattered and I swung for the fences, but so far nobody in the outfield is moving toward the ball. I think it's gone, anyway.

I wonder what your objection to remembering the Sabbath is? Perhaps you prefer to honour the day the Sun worshippers do?
I think we make a mistake thinking we have to defend what we believe,that we believe, because someone has no respect for the faith.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The new testament contains NO instructions requiring Christians to worship God and rest just one day a week... we are instead to enter in to the rest that can only be found by abiding IN Christ (and Christ abiding in us!) 7 days a week which is a far superior position since we are now under a better covenant based on better promises.

Those trying to remain in the old covenant are a day ;late and a dollar short on the outside lookin in. clueless-doh.gif

So what's your excuse for trying to continue living under the old covenant and rejecting the new?
You like Moses better than Jesus?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The new testament contains NO instructions requiring Christians to worship God and rest just one day a week... we are instead to enter in to the rest that can only be found by abiding IN Christ (and Christ abiding in us!) 7 days a week which is a far superior position since we are now under a better covenant based on better promises.

Those trying to remain in the old covenant are a day ;late and a dollar short on the outside lookin in. View attachment 39212

So what's your excuse for trying to continue living under the old covenant and rejecting the new?
You like Moses better than Jesus?
The thing is BBJ, it is the everlasting covenant and the everlasting Gospel; that is what needs to be understood.
I think you mistake obedience with trying to be saved. You cannot be more in error on this.

The old covenant argument used to negate remembering the Sabbath only reveals a poor understanding of what THE COVENANT is and what the Creator's objective is in becoming a man.