Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is our example and what does scripture tell us...

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

He who created the earth in seven days, made the Sabbath when He created the world at the very beginning..

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

So the Sabbath was there from the beginning, made for man. and the Creator Himself kept the Sabbath day:

Genesis 2:1-3
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

and if you look closely at Christ words....

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator.
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He was the One who originally created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

"All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made." John 1:3

"He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not". John 1:10

"God, who created all things by Jesus Christ." Eph. 3:9

"For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him." Col. 1:16

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.
Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Blessed and made Holy...
"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11

And it was there from before the children of Isreal as you can see from the instructions from God.
"And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning." Exodus 16:23

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on the seventh day. Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is "Lord even of the Sabbath day" so He should know. He taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continues after the cross, and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles

Acts 13:44
And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 18:4
And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath and never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...
Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.
Matthew 12:1-13
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

You see in verse 8, that Jesus is known as the Lord of the Sabbath. Why be Lord of something you were going to abolish?

Christ instructed His apostles that the Sabbath should be prayerfully regarded forty years after His resurrection.
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

When one reads all of Matthew 24 they’ll see that Jesus was warning the disciples of the upcoming destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred about 40 years after His resurrection.

Then the bible shows that thirty years after Christ's resurrection, scripture expressly calls it "the Sabbath day."
Acts 13:14-16
14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.
15 And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on.
16 Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience.

The Sabbath was still in effect even then, well after Christ's death, and His resurrection as scripture makes clear.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath and never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time.
Then why was He with His disciples whom He taught when they were working on the Sabbath?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did of course keep the Sabbath. He was a Judean living under the Old Covenant! The Old Covenant that he nailed to the cross, Col. 2:14.
Exactly. Galatians 4:4 - But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Ephesians 2:15 - having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace.

Colossians 2:14 and Ephesians 2:15 refer to the whole old covenant law including the ten commandments.

Leviticus 19 lists 5 of the 10 commandments as well as 24 references to the "ceremonial law" and calls them My statures and all My ordinances without differentiation.

In Deuteronomy 5:1 the ten commandments are called "My statures and all My ordinances."

In Deuteronomy 5:1-6:25 we have two whole chapters that deal exclusively with the ten commandments and the following 5 terms are used interchangeably without distinction: "statutes", "ordinances", "commandments", "judgments", "testimonies."

In Ezekiel 20:19-21 My sabbaths (including the weekly sabbath) is called "My statures and all My ordinances."

In Nehemiah 9:13-14 the weekly sabbath is included without distinction: "ordinances, true laws, good statutes, commandments."

Malachi chapter 4 closes with a call to keep "statutes and ordinances" which obviously include the 10 commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

Colossians 2:14 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

People who make this much fuss over keeping the sabbath day (particularly SDA's) are obviously trusting in keeping it as a requirement for salvation, even though they may try to deny it.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why was He with His disciples whom He taught when they were working on the Sabbath?
For the same reason Immanuel condemned the Pharisees, Matthew 23. They lived as hypocrites and disobeyed his teachings.

The Sabbath was made for us.We were not made for the Sabbath. Immanuel,Jesus,is Lord of the Sabbath. God, who made that day for us.
So we could rest from service in the world and recline in worship and rest with God. Unencumbered by the attentions the world presumed upon our time.

Everyday is a day of communion with our Savior. One day where it is just the two of us is a gift.God's gift to us.

Why would we have an issue with that?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How do we know which of the seven days was God's sabbath? How do we know on which of the seven days he began creation? The naming of the days of the week came long after creation and were an invention by man and - apart from Saturday, Sunday and Monday - named for other gods. Also some call Saturday - named for Saturn - the sabbath and some Sunday - named for the sun. How can anybody know which was God's day of rest?

• Love

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. Galatians 4:4 - But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Ephesians 2:15 - having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace.

Colossians 2:14 and Ephesians 2:15 refer to the whole old covenant law including the ten commandments.

Leviticus 19 lists 5 of the 10 commandments as well as 24 references to the "ceremonial law" and calls them My statures and all My ordinances without differentiation.

In Deuteronomy 5:1 the ten commandments are called "My statures and all My ordinances."

In Deuteronomy 5:1-6:25 we have two whole chapters that deal exclusively with the ten commandments and the following 5 terms are used interchangeably without distinction: "statutes", "ordinances", "commandments", "judgments", "testimonies."

In Ezekiel 20:19-21 My sabbaths (including the weekly sabbath) is called "My statures and all My ordinances."

In Nehemiah 9:13-14 the weekly sabbath is included without distinction: "ordinances, true laws, good statutes, commandments."

Malachi chapter 4 closes with a call to keep "statutes and ordinances" which obviously include the 10 commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

Colossians 2:14 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

People who make this much fuss over keeping the sabbath day (particularly SDA's) are obviously trusting in keeping it as a requirement for salvation, even though they may try to deny it.
I agree and it seems to be the heart of their belief instead of the sacrifice of Jesus showing the love of God !

I guess it's what one signs up for by becoming a follower of mankind instead of Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour and our Lord and coming king.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus kept the Sabbath

So where in the New Testament... are Christians instructed to observe Saturday sabbath???

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So where in the New Testament... are Christians instructed to observe Saturday sabbath???

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Book,chapter,verse,where we are told not to observe the Sabbath? And because it has been abolished.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Book,chapter,verse,where we are told not to observe the Sabbath?

I just asked you.... Book, chapter, verse, where we are told TO to observe the Sabbath!
Got no answer do ya? That's because it's not in God's Word.

Are you not aware that God's Word teaches the old covenant has been done away with because we now have a NEW covenant???

Are you not aware that God's Word teaches that Christians are NOT following Moses as their high preist because now we have a NEW High Priest Who is Jesus Christ?

I know Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12 don't fit your preconceived ideas... but you cannot explain these truths away.
Show us where Jesus and/or the Apostles taught that we must all meet on Saturday.

It's no where in the New Testament... but we do see numerous scriptures where the Apostles gathered on the FIRST day of the week which is Sunday, the same day Jesus was raised from the dead...

Sundays - Why we Observe

Jesus arose upon the first day of the week.
Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1

Pentecost by Divine design always came on Sunday. (Lev. 23:15-16) Acts 2

The church was established repentance and remission of sins first preached this Sunday in Acts 2 and they were added to the saved. Acts 2 (this was the first Gospel church meeting... on Sunday!)

The early church met on the first day of the week for communion (or to have a meal together and fellowship while hearing Paul teach). Acts 20:7

Early church offerings were directed to be done upon the first day of the week. 1 Corinthians 16:2

Colossians 2:16,17

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just asked you.... Book, chapter, verse, where we are told TO to observe the Sabbath!
Got no answer do ya? That's because it's not in God's Word.
I've got an answer.
Since the New Testament doesn't speak to you, I'll leave you to your god.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've got an answer.
Since the New Testament doesn't speak to you, I'll leave you to your god.

My God did away with the old covenant where Moses was the high priest and made a new Covenant where Jesus Christ is the High Priest and since the priesthood has been changed, there has been a change of the law from the law of Moses to the Law of Christ..

Those that refuse to enter in to the New Covenant will be damned...

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Living under the law of Moses does not end well homie!

• Love

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My God did away with the old covenant where Moses was the high priest and made a new Covenant where Jesus Christ is the High Priest and since the priesthood has been changed, there has been a change of the law from the law of Moses to the Law of Christ..

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

I'm not your homie.

Since the Apostles kept the Sabbath with and after Immanuel departed for home, I'm going to go with my prior observation about your lack of knowledge about the New Testament.

BTW, homie? The double-entendre screen name for Big P---s, is inappropriate. And not at all as clever as you imagined .

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not your homie.

Obviously... tares never are.

I'm going to go with my prior observation about your lack of knowledge about the New Testament.

And you STILL cannot show us any scriptures where the Lord or His Apostles instructed Christians to keep Saturday sabbath... or why the Council at Jerusalem failed to include Saturday sabbath in the list of things Christians must observe.

The whole purpose of the Council at Jerusalem was to get the Lord's leading concerning claims by you judaizers that Christians must keep the law of Moses.

Since you claim to have all knowledge of the New Testament... please show us your scriptural PROOF where the Lord or His Apostles instructed Christians to keep Saturday sabbath...

This is yo opportunity to shine... show us the revelation knowledge from the New Testament you been holding back!

Give us some good spiritual food from on high so we can taste and see that the Lord is good with that Saturday sabbath...
dinner-table2.gif

Last edited:

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously... tares never are.
Personal attack doesn't prove you are in Christ.
And you STILL cannot show us any scriptures where the Lord or His Apostles instructed Christians to keep Saturday sabbath... or why the Council at Jerusalem failed to include Saturday sabbath in the list of things Christians must observe.

The whole purpose of the Council at Jerusalem was to get the Lord's leading concerning claims by you judaizers that Christians must keep the law of Moses.

Since you claim to have all knowledge of the New Testament... please show us your scriptural PROOF where the Lord or His Apostles instructed Christians to keep Saturday sabbath...

This is yo opportunity to shine... show us the revelation knowledge from the New Testament you been holding back!

Give us some good spiritual food from on high so we can taste and see that the Lord is good with that Saturday sabbath...
View attachment 39006
I never said I have all knowledge of the New Testament. I simply observed you have very little.

Now, you demonstrate you don't know much about the Old testament.

The Sabbath predates the laws given to Moses. Christians know this because that commandment reads as, remember
the Sabbath day and keep it holy.The command did not read as an edict
establishing the Sabbath.

In the New Testament Immanuel-Jesus tells Christians the Sabbath was made for man, (by God) not man for the Sabbath.

The council of/at Jerusalem knew this.As did the Apostles who honored the Sabbath.As did Paul.

So,if the Sabbath was made for man,not exclusively the Jews,and the Apostles honored the Sabbath knowing the separation of race and culture is done away with in the Christian community because there is no Jew,Gentile,Greek,male or female, as we are all one in Christ, then unless or until Immanuel-Jesus said he retracted the Sabbath he made for man, it is still in effect.

Because it was made for man before the law of Moses , that included rememberance of it , was written.

The Sabbath reflects upon that 7th day when God rested.
How do we know Saturday is Sabbath day?
Well,for what it's worth: How Can We Be Sure that Saturday is the Seventh Day?

This will be our last communication.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's easy to say when we're not directing it at a single person, isn't it?

Hi, Dan! Always a pleasure. :)

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really a shame about all the contempt that gets piled onto people who believe and teach that God requires His children to keep all 10 of His commandments literally and the loopholes that are inconsistently embraced to "prove" otherwise. Such a shame. Troublers of Israel, we are.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Their fruit and faith are so easy to see in postings. Out of the heart comes vile emotions that end in disparaging remarks and slander.