Jesus' Resurrection, Like Jonah

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abdul Dawood

Mar 6, 2008
Hallo all!I tried searching for the topic which I am about to propose to see if someone else had already addressed it and could not find it anywhere. If anyone knows of this topic having already been discussed somewhere else, please point me to it and I will terminate this thread.Since we are approaching Easter time, I thought I would post a question and see what kind of answers anybody can give.Ok, here is the topic.Now, we celebrate Easter on Sunday and we say that Jesus was resurrected by Sunday, since he was missing by that morning. In John 18 beginning at verse 31 it says:Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jews did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.Now exactly which Sabbath day, the first day of Unleavened Bread, or the Seventh day (Saturday) Sabbath? This is important as there are people who claim that Jesus was crucified on either a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.Also, remember that Jesus must fulfill his own promise which he made back in Matthew 11:39-4039He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Alright, I am looking forward to what people think about this. Mind you all that I am not really here to debate, but only to see what you all think on it as I am curious. If this is the incorrect place to post this question, by all means correct me and I will post it someplace else.Thanks!

zail

Feb 14, 2008
I like the "Jonah-sign" Christ gave us. I guess if He died on the day before Sabbath and was raised from the dead on the 3rd day, He'd have to have been raised on the day we call "Sunday". Just guessing. I never really studied that. At the same time, I think some "Easter SUN-day" aspects of His ressurection have been over-imphasized; sadly replacing our acknowledgment of true fulfillments of Christ, the passover lamb, with foolishness.

Abdul Dawood

Mar 6, 2008
Well, I am posing this question, because if you don't know enough about how the days are measured, then anybody could say that Jesus lied because he was supposed to be like Jonah being three days and three nights in the earth but he was only there for two nights. If we can not answer a question regarding what happened with Jesus' resurrection, how can we make a proper defense of our faith? Anyway, I am looking forward to see if someone will study the subject/verses and reply with their answer.Toodles.

zail

Feb 14, 2008
Oh okay... I didn't understand which direction you were going with this at first. Yeah, I see what you're saying now. I like your approach. Here's my theory: A Jewish day goes from sunset to sunset. Night is before day. So... maybe keeping that in mind gives us a different approach to the specific days... 1st day- Friday evening, Saturday Morning ("1 day, 1 night") 2nd day- Saturday Evening, Sunday Morning ("1 day, 1 night") 3rd day- Sunday evening, Monday Morning ("1 day, 1 night") ...so maybe Christ rose on our "Monday morning". That would technically be the "3rd day" according to the Jewish culture behind scripture. It would also fulfill "the sign of Jonah", pertaining to the duration of 3 days and 3 nights. Even if the Messiah died before the 1st day in my chart (on Friday Afternoon, before Friday night), I don't think that day ("Friday Afternoon") would count, because it would have only have been within a few hours of the Friday-sunset-to-Saturday-sunset day. The sign of Jonah seems to me to be about spending an actual day/night somewhere. I don't think spending 3 hours or so "in the heart of the earth" is quite the same as spending a day there. My theory is that the few hours Christ entered death before Friday Evening, don't count as a day spent dead, pertaining the prophecy of Jonah. Very cool stuff. I'd also be interested in what other people have to say about it though. Where is "Easter Sunday" ever Biblical anyway? I can only find the pagan roots of "Sunday" and "Easter", not any of the Messiah's roots.

Abdul Dawood

Mar 6, 2008
Remember my question has nothing to do with Easter festivities themselves. By this I mean that my question does not ask for an answer as to why there is a rabbit, or why it is called 'Easter', or why the colored eggs that are hidden. I am only interested in whether you can show how Jesus has fulfilled his own words when he said that he would spend three days and three nights in the earth and how this fits with what the bible tells us happened. So anybody who posts, please remember to focus on just the question and not get sidetracked into trying to explain the rabbit and eggs. Thanks.