Jesus said "Our friend Lazarus sleepeth"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Let us look at scripture pertaining to the word ‘sleep’:

2Sa 7:4 And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying,
2Sa 7:5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?
2Sa 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.

Job 7:21 And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

Joh 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

Daniel 11 speaks of the 70 weeks
Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, (end the trangession of the Jews) and to make an end of sins (Jesus would be scrificed for our sins), and to make reconciliation for iniquity (forgive sins), and to bring in everlasting righteousness (in the church are we are given eternal life), and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Dan 12:9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Daniel’s prophecy would be sealed (not understood) until the end of time (time of Law).

Daniel 11 is about the time from Darius the Mede to Augustus Caesar who was ruler at the birth of Jesus. Now is when we enter the time of the end.

Luk 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
The Roman army was the one who surrounded Jesusalem from 68 - 70 AD (approximate).
Luk 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
Jesus was telling his disciples to get out at that time.
Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
These are the days that Daniel spoke of.

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
Daniel was told to seal his book but in this book it says:
Seal not this book, now we can understand it. Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70AD. With just that much knowledge we can put the rest together.

Study and:

Be blessed

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
So you believe that the wrath of God towards all men who destroy the earth and hate God's people has already happened and that we are in the new heaven and earth since 70ad??
Rev 11:15-18
15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
KJV

How about let's just believe what the Bible says, that the man made temple was torn down so that the temple built without men's hands, but by God could begin to be built up of living stones and just as Rev.10:7 says that after the seven angels sounds his trumpet that the mystery of God will be finished and then time will be UP, no more grace period and the children of God are caught up out of harms way and the wrath of God as the body of Christ comes with their head(Christ) and the wedding supper of the Lamb(Armageddon) Great supper of God takes place.
Heb 9:9
8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
KJV
Heb 9:11
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
KJV
Rev 10:6-7
6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.
KJV

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
afaithfulone4u said:
So you believe that the wrath of God towards all men who destroy the earth and hate God's people has already happened and that we are in the new heaven and earth since 70ad??
Rev 11:15-18
15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

KJV
Yes, the wrath of God has already happened.

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
God's kingdom is within us.

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

If we are kings unto our God, then we are the kingdoms of this world that God speaks of in Rev 11:15.

Let's allow scripture to interpret scripture and

Be blessed.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is a preterist view. Their belief is that most or all biblical prophecy was fulfilled by 70AD coinciding with the destruction of Jerusalem. They believe that we are now in the millennium stage of Revelation 20 awaiting the final resurrection. It is not a necessarily a popular theology but one of many views out there...

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Angelina said:
This is a preterist view. Their belief is that most or all biblical prophecy was fulfilled by 70AD coinciding with the destruction of Jerusalem. They believe that we are now in the millennium stage of Revelation 20 awaiting the final resurrection. It is not a necessarily a popular theology but one of many views out there.
Popular or not it is the only one that is backed by scripture. Most of today's prophecy teachers go to the book of Revelation and relate it to our generation or future. Trying to list the 'beast' to today's leaders. They haven't done it in the past and they can't do it today. Why? Because the books of the bible are not addressed to any person or church other than those mentioned in the books. They also have to change meanings of God's word.
Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Man will declare this to mean "must come to pass many generations from now".

Rev 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Man will declare these are churches hundreds or thousands of years in the future or a symbol of types.

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Men will declare Jesus did not mean for us to take his word for truth, we must interpret it to fit us.

Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Men will declare that "I come quickly" is written as if Jesus were talking to someone other than man, because most man, other than prophecy teachers, would understand 'quickly' to mean soon.

One can also find out the Books of the Epistles were addressed to those that were living at that time.

Pray and

Be blessed.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Would someone please translate the first post in this thread into something that average English-speaking people will understand?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
He is trying to place Daniel and Revelation into events that occurred leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD.

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
Seal not this book, now we can understand it. Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70AD. With just that much knowledge we can put the rest together.

This does not necessarily mean that the book was unsealed because of prophetical fulfillment of the destruction of Jerusalem. It may easily mean that further future events will take place on earth [which have not happened yet] allowing those prophetical events to be understood.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Angelina said:
He is trying to place Daniel and Revelation into events that occurred leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD.

This does not necessarily mean that the book was unsealed because of prophetical fulfillment of the destruction of Jerusalem. It may easily mean that further future events will take place on earth [which have not happened yet] allowing those prophetical events to be understood.
The prophecy in the book of Revelation is about the end of time, the same as written in Daniel's prophecy.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Which may easily pertain to future events [that have not happened yet] allowing those prophetical events to be understood before or after or during that time... :)

Reactions: Jacob_Rising

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to 1Cor 15:20 and 1Cor 15:23 Jesus is the first-fruits from those
who have fallen asleep. Well; he clearly said that Lazarus was asleep. So
what gives?

According to Rom 6:9, Jesus came back from sleep with immortality; but
Lazarus didn't. That's the difference. In point of fact, nobody yet but Jesus
has come back from sleep with immortality: he's the only one so far.

Q: since everybody else in the Bible who is said to have undergone a
resurrection had to die at least one more time, then how is the reservoir of
flaming sulfur depicted at Rev 20:11-15 a "second" death when for some,
conceivably it might be a third?

A: since the fumes of flaming sulfur are highly toxic, then the reservoir
depicted at Rev 20:11-15 will serve as both a gas chamber and a
crematorium. But there's nothing unnatural about that kind of a death. What
I'm saying is; although the sulfur will execute people, that's not the end of
their story. In other words: the second death entails something more than
just terminating people's bodies.

According to Matt 10:28; the first death terminates people's bodies; but not
their souls. The second death terminates both. So; what we're talking about
here isn't linear as if the second death is called that because it follows the
first. No; what we're talking about here are two kinds of death; viz: physical
termination and soul termination. You could also label them preliminary
termination and final termination.

The reason we say that the dead are currently "asleep" is because their
souls are still alive somewhere waiting to come back with either a mortal
body or come back with a nice new immortal body. Bottom line is: people
can come back from sleep any number of times; but once their soul is
terminated; they're never coming back: ever.

Buen Camino
/