Jesus was wrong

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For instance we use "Happy is the man who" ....we say happy or blessed. So happiness denotes an emotion we feel when things are going great!

It's also used in the beatitudes to denote the blessings of Jesus, the HCSB actually translates "blessed" as "happy" and that's not a temporal feeling. I Peter 3:14 is another example of this which refers directly to suffering. The words are interchangeable.

My problem here is that I see words being redefined to fit a certain theology.

The joy of the Lord can not be described by Webster, it is something the world can not give you, only Jesus can.

Neither can any word accurately and fully portray much of anything when it comes to our God - we work within the language we have, and we have to avoid personal interpretations.

You may define happiness as temporal, but our point is that the general consensus of the English language does not agree with you. These translations are made within the limitations of language, of course, but to define theology around an English translation is problematic.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
It's also used in the beatitudes to denote the blessings of Jesus, the HCSB actually translates "blessed" as "happy" and that's not a temporal feeling. I Peter 3:14 is another example of this which refers directly to suffering. The words are interchangeable.

My problem here is that I see words being redefined to fit a certain theology.

Neither can any word accurately and fully portray much of anything when it comes to our God - we work within the language we have, and we have to avoid personal interpretations.

You may define happiness as temporal, but our point is that the general consensus of the English language does not agree with you. These translations are made within the limitations of language, of course, but to define theology around an English translation is problematic.
I would agree, the world has a difficult time describing the things of the Lord!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Happiness is a state based on what is happening so of course it is unstable at best...Joy in the context of Christianity is because something has happened that forever changes things and changes one's destiny so yes that can be had no matter what happens because of one's ultimate destination...what the end will be...and it makes perfect sense to seek and look forward to that end if you truely beleive with the witness of the spirit you are going there.

I have often been puzzled at many Christians reaction and attitudes towards death,they go around preaching salvation and joys of heaven to people then when their time or that of a loved one comes they don't want to go and don't want somebody else to go....could we say that it is because what is happening at the time does not make them happy ? and yet the true believer has joy because they know where they are going and their loved one is going if they are saved....death realy is where the rubber meets the road and the greatest opportunity for witness to others if you have the time...no more preaching,no more speculating and endless debating because eternity has begun.

Risen Angel

Jul 23, 2012
You call yourself an overseer (bishop) and then claim Jesus was wrong!? Is this a joke because I don't know how else to take it? You claim to 'know' a lot of things, but it appears to me that...

"...the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain." (1 Corinth 3:19-20)

You say there is a limit on forgiveness? Who says!? You say. And here is my reply:

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know." (1 Corinth 8:2)

What is your message? That Christians do stupid, evil, malicious works and sexually devious acts? Wow. That's incredibly interesting. Are you trying to say that we sin? Well, I am very glad that Paul answered this line of thought many years ago so that I don't have to waste my time explaining it to the people around me.

"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me." (Romans 7:19-20)

I don't know anything about you, but I am absolutely certain that I serve only one master and that one is Jesus Christ. I mess it up all the time because I am a human being, born into sin - surely, given grace by God, washed clean by the blood of Christ and boldy able to approach the throne. Is your point to try inspire Christians to act more like Jesus? Maybe try not discrediting the saviour before making your point.

At first glance your post is a brutal attack on the word of God; I am still not convinced that it isn't.

Isreal

Apr 8, 2012
Just remember "if it weren't for grace" then we wouldn't be here.

Also "For many are called, but few are chosen." Mat_22:14
It took me years to comprehend this in full.
We are still imperfect vessels in need of grace.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said never stop forgiving, but we know that there’s a limit to forgiveness when others hurt us too badly.
Jesus said that even lustful looks are sinful, but we know that sexuality is a defining part of our identity and therefore something to be celebrated and indulged in whenever we have the chance.
Jesus said the last will be first and the least will be the greatest, but we know that if we don’t fight for what’s “ours” we’ll get trampled upon by others and miss out on our “just reward”.
Jesus said to be humble, but we know that only the proud will thrive in life.
Jesus said to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, but we know that real life demands that all our enemies be defeated and humiliated.
Jesus said be perfect, but we know that God will forgive us anyway. After all, why bother pursuing holiness when no one’s perfect anyway?
Jesus said a lot of things, but we know better. We know how life in the real world has to be lived.

“Jesus said to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, but we know that real life demands that all our enemies be defeated and humiliated.”

Acts 8:33-35
[33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. [34] And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? [35] Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus

B

brakelite

One could very easily have misjudged what the OP is really saying if he only read half the post. Glad I read to the end. I get it. We preach and teach what Jesus taught and preached...we claim to be His disciples and followers...we teach that repentance is the precursor to salvation and that obedience to His commandments the key to happiness...
...while so often our lifestyles, habits, and addictions put the lie to our own teachings, which are Jesus's own teachings. Our own lives make out Jesus to be a liar. We glorify the devil by our sin. We glorify God by living in faith that works righteousness in the life...by becoming conformed and changed into the image of Christ. Having the mind of Christ reveals that Jesus is the Way, Truth, and the Life.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sunday morning sermons, Bible studies, personal devotions, they’re all a waste of time.
Why?
Because these sorts of activities try to teach us about the peculiar sort of life Jesus called his followers to live. While that may sound like a good and important endeavor, it’s really a waste of time because the truth is Jesus was wrong about a lot of things he said.
Jesus said you can’t serve two masters, but we know that life must be lived serving many masters, work, school, friends, fun, sex. Jesus is certainly among them, but we must serve all these masters if we are to live a “complete” and “whole” life.
Jesus said turn the other cheek and not resist evil doers, but we that Jesus didn’t understand that when people come to take your life, you must respond with violence in order to protect yourself and others.
Jesus said to sell everything you have and give it to the poor because it’s easier for a camel to enter through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven, but we know that God really wants us to be rich or at the very least, not poor. After all, why else would we have all this stuff?
Jesus said never stop forgiving, but we know that there’s a limit to forgiveness when others hurt us too badly.
Jesus said that even lustful looks are sinful, but we know that sexuality is a defining part of our identity and therefore something to be celebrated and indulged in whenever we have the chance.
Jesus said the last will be first and the least will be the greatest, but we know that if we don’t fight for what’s “ours” we’ll get trampled upon by others and miss out on our “just reward”.
Jesus said to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, but we know that real life demands that all our enemies be defeated and humiliated.
Jesus said be perfect, but we know that God will forgive us anyway. After all, why bother pursuing holiness when no one’s perfect anyway?
Jesus said a lot of things, but we know better. We know how life in the real world has to be lived.
Now, we may never come out and say it that way, but our lives makes it pretty clear that Jesus was wrong and we know better than he did about how life can and should be lived.
We can fight battles till we’re blue in the face over the truth of Christianity, but every time we make decisions contrary to the teachings of Jesus, our actions declare to the world that the “truth” is Jesus was wrong. In other words, every time we choose to destroy our enemies rather than love them or seek our own comfort over others’ needs or trust in stuff rather than in God, it’s like we’re winking at our enemies and conceding “You’re right, Jesus was wrong.”
If we really believed Jesus’ teachings were the truth, though we would certainly stumble and fall in the pursuit of that calling, we wouldn’t spend so much of our time rationalizing or justifying why we choose to ignore so many of the things Jesus said. Though winning a debate may be momentarily satisfying, if “truth” is really as important to us as it seems to be, then the only way we as the Church have to prove the truth of Jesus is to incarnate the good news even and especially when it doesn’t make sense to do so.
That isn’t an easy path to tread and those who pursue it will certainly stumble along the way, but for the Christian faith, ultimate truth is not found in rhetoric. It’s found when Jesus’ words become our actions. It’s found in incarnation.
Which means, until we stop making excuses and start living lives that intentionally seek to match up with the gospel we preach, until then, the message we proclaim to the world will be “Jesus was wrong.”

Grace and peace,
Zack Hunt

Granted Zack, there is a lot of wasted time in religious activities, probably as much as there is in secular activities, yet saying that Jesus was wrong is indicative of knowing about Jesus without actually knowing him. For instance, one might know all the stories and be able to quote all the texts and put on a mighty good show for all the punters but there is an element missing that is critical.

Here's something to chew on. 'To know' with the Hebrew mindset is to experience. It is something that goes through ones whole system.
'To know' with the Greek mind set is none other than an intellectual exercise that goes no further than the grey matter between your ears except the glorification of self.
Those of us raised in Western culture are embedded with a Greek mindset. There is more to say on this but for the purpose of this point this is sufficient.

Those that know Jesus in the Hebrew sense have a knowing that is not open to argument or debate. That is not to say they don't have plenty more things to learn and understand and often their understanding is faulty but they have a relationship happening with the Almighty which is something more than just what is between their ears.
A Greek mindset however, one that is devoid of experience (in this context) with the Man, can not extend itself past itself. What I mean by that is the underlying core motive will be the self and nothing else irrespective of how cleverly it is concealed from others or the self itself.

Oopps, Just reread your post. You make a good point!

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One could very easily have misjudged what the OP is really saying if he only read half the post. Glad I read to the end. I get it. We preach and teach what Jesus taught and preached...we claim to be His disciples and followers...we teach that repentance is the precursor to salvation and that obedience to His commandments the key to happiness...
...while so often our lifestyles, habits, and addictions put the lie to our own teachings, which are Jesus's own teachings. Our own lives make out Jesus to be a liar. We glorify the devil by our sin. We glorify God by living in faith that works righteousness in the life...by becoming conformed and changed into the image of Christ. Having the mind of Christ reveals that Jesus is the Way, Truth, and the Life.

I’m glad you encouraged me to read the rest of the OP. The beginning sure got my attention...

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sunday morning sermons, Bible studies, personal devotions, they’re all a waste of time.
Why?
Because these sorts of activities try to teach us about the peculiar sort of life Jesus called his followers to live. While that may sound like a good and important endeavor, it’s really a waste of time because the truth is Jesus was wrong about a lot of things he said.
Jesus said you can’t serve two masters, but we know that life must be lived serving many masters, work, school, friends, fun, sex. Jesus is certainly among them, but we must serve all these masters if we are to live a “complete” and “whole” life.
Jesus said turn the other cheek and not resist evil doers, but we that Jesus didn’t understand that when people come to take your life, you must respond with violence in order to protect yourself and others.
Jesus said to sell everything you have and give it to the poor because it’s easier for a camel to enter through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven, but we know that God really wants us to be rich or at the very least, not poor. After all, why else would we have all this stuff?
Now, we may never come out and say it that way, but our lives makes it pretty clear that Jesus was wrong and we know better than he did about how life can and should be lived.
We can fight battles till we’re blue in the face over the truth of Christianity, but every time we make decisions contrary to the teachings of Jesus, our actions declare to the world that the “truth” is Jesus was wrong. In other words, every time we choose to destroy our enemies rather than love them or seek our own comfort over others’ needs or trust in stuff rather than in God, it’s like we’re winking at our enemies and conceding “You’re right, Jesus was wrong.”
If we really believed Jesus’ teachings were the truth, though we would certainly stumble and fall in the pursuit of that calling, we wouldn’t spend so much of our time rationalizing or justifying why we choose to ignore so many of the things Jesus said. Though winning a debate may be momentarily satisfying, if “truth” is really as important to us as it seems to be, then the only way we as the Church have to prove the truth of Jesus is to incarnate the good news even and especially when it doesn’t make sense to do so.
That isn’t an easy path to tread and those who pursue it will certainly stumble along the way, but for the Christian faith, ultimate truth is not found in rhetoric. It’s found when Jesus’ words become our actions. It’s found in incarnation.
Which means, until we stop making excuses and start living lives that intentionally seek to match up with the gospel we preach, until then, the message we proclaim to the world will be “Jesus was wrong.”

Grace and peace,
Zack Hunt

There is a simple way of discovering whether one has right doctrine or not and that is does one agree with Jesus or disagree.
If one is saying Jesus got it wrong. That is a wake up call that you have it wrong.

Think, who is more likely to be wrong yopu or the Almighty, All knowing Creator God.

Ifone is saying that Jesus got it wrong then you need to think again.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Why?
if studied and tried to learn something they wouldnt be a waste of time. you dont seem to have learned anything.

Jesus said you can’t serve two masters, but we know that life must be lived serving many masters,
the two masters teaching has nothing to do with having two bosses at work or going to school and work. i have a job and its not my master, i go to get a check at the end of the week, if i came in and they told me i had to do drugs and exchange wives with the boss i would tell them to go shove it and get another job. the teaching simply means you cant serve one that is contrary to another. in other words you cant work for a rape counseling center when you your self are a rapist.

pretty much everything else you have said is the same thing, you need to understand what He is teaching first before you start correcting it.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Episkopos was last seen: Jul 22, 2015

The OP was a crock of misunderstanding and unbelief, a yielding to what is seen and a disregard for what is unseen, meaning God. It is not the world and the things that we experience in it that are the gauge or standard - that's backwards. And living in the world should not confirm the world as being "the Way" of things, but teach us that it is not.

No, I should think that Mr. Episkopos, was simply venting during a moment of frustration. Certainly understandable. I hope and pray he is doing better these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaybird

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Epi was making a point. He was not speaking from his own viewpoint in the beginning of his op.He was speaking from the viewpoint of compromised christians, the viewpoint of men who want to live a comfortable life in the wo rld.

B

brakelite

Epi was making a point. He was not speaking from his own viewpoint in the beginning of his op.He was speaking from the viewpoint of compromised christians, the viewpoint of men who want to live a comfortable life in the wo rld.
...and how that comfortable life in the world denies Christ and His teachings.