Jewish Wedding Misleading

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Isaiah 54:5
Your Maker is your husband— the Lord Almighty is his name.

Isaiah 62:3-5
You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah [which means married], for the Lord will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.

Hosea 2:19-20, God speaking to his people:
I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord.

Jesus speaks of himself as the bridegroom.

Mark 2:18-20
Some people came and asked Jesus, "How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?" Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast."

John the Baptist spoke of Jesus as the bridegroom.

John 3:28-30
"You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.' The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and is now complete. He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less."

The church is betrothed, espoused and promised as the intended bride of her husband, Jesus Christ. The marriage is not consummated. That is yet to come.

2 Corinthians 11:2
I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.

At the end, we see the bride married to Jesus.

Revelation. 19:6-8
"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)

Revelation 21:2,9-11
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.... One of the seven angels... said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God.

And yet, none of the parables Christ gave about the Marriage Supper and Wedding used the idea of the bride as Christ's Church.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Jerusalem is a people, and we are the new Jerusalem, that city of God that comes down to Earth who is decked out AS A BRIDE, not IS A BRIDE.

I agree but look at your earlier posts and the scriptures you used to support that the body of Christ is the bride of Christ and you will see the same description AS and not IS. You cant use it here and not there, it must be used consistently.

And yet, none of the parables Christ gave about the Marriage Supper and Wedding used the idea of the bride as Christ's Church.

Agreed, excellent point, many of Jesus' parables are of the kingdom of Heaven and they are just parables, example "the kingdom of Heaven is likened unto ten virgins...". It is not literal, and does not mean that the kingdom of Heaven is made up of nothing but virgins. So we must employ this same dynamic in understanding other areas of scripture too, thanks for making this point Veteran.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I agree but look at your earlier posts and the scriptures you used to support that the body of Christ is the bride of Christ and you will see the same description AS and not IS. You cant use it here and not there, it must be used consistently.

The word of God is consistent, calling the people of God the bride. Please refer to the scriptures I took the trouble to post. Does God say that His Son is like a bridegroom? No---HE IS THE BRIDEGROOM. Sometimes, to push a point, people can parse the word a little too finely.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The word of God is consistent, calling the people of God the bride. Please refer to the scriptures I took the trouble to post. Does God say that His Son is like a bridegroom? No---HE IS THE BRIDEGROOM. Sometimes, to push a point, people can parse the word a little too finely.

Please, the issue was not with how the scriptures describe Christ, it is the believers, the body of Christ. So try again.

Isaiah 54:5
Your Maker is your husband— the Lord Almighty is his name.

Isaiah 62:3-5
You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah [which means married], for the Lord will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.

Hosea 2:19-20, God speaking to his people:
I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord.

Jesus speaks of himself as the bridegroom.

Mark 2:18-20
Some people came and asked Jesus, "How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?" Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast."

John the Baptist spoke of Jesus as the bridegroom.

John 3:28-30
"You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.' The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and is now complete. He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less."

The church is betrothed, espoused and promised as the intended bride of her husband, Jesus Christ. The marriage is not consummated. That is yet to come.

I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.

At the end, we see the bride married to Jesus.

Revelation. 19:6-8
"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)

Revelation 21:2,9-11
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.... One of the seven angels... said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God.

You are obviously having some trouble discerning between Israel and the body of Christ, between the guests at the wedding and the bride.

What do you make of what Jesus said here?
But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:Luke 20:35

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Please, the issue was not with how the scriptures describe Christ, it is the believers, the body of Christ. So try again.

Exactly. Take a boo at the scriptures.

You are obviously having some trouble discerning between Israel and the body of Christ, between the guests at the wedding and the bride.

I have no trouble at all with that. The Body of Christ is the Bride. In this age of grace, there is no difference between Israel and the Body of Christ. We are one new man.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Exactly. Take a boo at the scriptures.

I have no trouble at all with that. The Body of Christ is the Bride. In this age of grace, there is no difference between Israel and the Body of Christ. We are one new man.

Then produce some scriptures that clearly state the body of Christ is the bride of Christ.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Ephesians 5:25-33
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: for we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

The force of the ‘nevertheless’ in Ephesians 5:33 depends on the fact that the Church is the Body, not the Bride; but every sentence in this extended context refers to the relation which exists between the husband and the wife illustrating the union between Christ and the Church.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Ephesians 5:25-33
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: for we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

The force of the ‘nevertheless’ in Ephesians 5:33 depends on the fact that the Church is the Body, not the Bride; but every sentence in this extended context refers to the relation which exists between the husband and the wife illustrating the union between Christ and the Church.

As I mentioned earlier and just as you said to Veteran in your post there is a difference between "as" and "is". You should apply it the same.