Job

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've got so many questions about this guy. First of all,.. I really don't understand as much as I've tried to how he could still be so faithful to God after everything that happened to him because truthfully I don't know if I could. Second of all, Job wasn't Jesus so what does it mean when it says that he never sinned? Thirdly,.. Tim makes a good point here,.. why was his wife left alone? LOL (Oh yeah and why did God allow Satan to kill his kids when they were completely innocent? :( Same with Pharoh's son actually.)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well,
Job's favorite wives died...(polygamist)
The only one left was the one who thought that his breath stunk.

Job was a good guy...he truly was blessed because of his righteousness. He made sin offerings in case someone did something they weren't supposed to.
He was careful about not sinning.

And that was what Satan said was the reason why he was such a righteous man...God blessed him with goods for his righteousness.

But...it wasn't. And in the course of the long poems there's several things that point to future events...it's a good read if you like Hebrew poetry. Otherwise you will get lost in all the rhetoric.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan did what he always does, steals, kills and destroys. He was only told not to touch Job. It is possible that God's command to not touch Job, encompassed his wife as "they were one."

That really only answers one of my questions though. :/ (Btw, I didn't make the avatar,.. I found it on the internet. :D)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've got so many questions about this guy. First of all,.. I really don't understand as much as I've tried to how he could still be so faithful to God after everything that happened to him because truthfully I don't know if I could. Second of all, Job wasn't Jesus so what does it mean when it says that he never sinned? Thirdly,.. Tim makes a good point here,.. why was his wife left alone? LOL (Oh yeah and why did God allow Satan to kill his kids when they were completely innocent? :( Same with Pharoh's son actually.)

Job, like many Christians, loved God, he must have known him intimately to really love him that much. This happens thru the Holy Spirit and feeling the fruits of Him, Galatians 5:22-23:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Imagine each of these fruits of the Holy Spirit, and then realizing they all are God, he is someone you can love and trust, a Good being, a Father who cares for and loves his children.

Job must have known that Satan didn't like him, but for the judgment of Satan, God let Satan smite Job. And I think Job must have understood that Satan needed to be judged and bound and cast out for the good of Job's brothers and sisters, so in a way Job carried his own cross and his children were killed and he was given boils, etc.

Each of us that are afflicted by Satan in a way, when God saves us in an innocent sacrifice, this all goes to the judgment of Satan. He is the accuser of his brethren, attempting to say to God that man is not worthy to be saved. And God said he will save us because he loves his children.

So Satan keeps on building up his own judgment which ultimately will result in him being bound a thousand years, loosed for a little season and then cast into the lake of fire. And for some reason this must be done.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job, like many Christians, loved God, he must have known him intimately to really love him that much. This happens thru the Holy Spirit and feeling the fruits of Him, Galatians 5:22-23:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Imagine each of these fruits of the Holy Spirit, and then realizing they all are God, he is someone you can love and trust, a Good being, a Father who cares for and loves his children.

Job must have known that Satan didn't like him, but for the judgment of Satan, God let Satan smite Job. And I think Job must have understood that Satan needed to be judged and bound and cast out for the good of Job's brothers and sisters, so in a way Job carried his own cross and his children were killed and he was given boils, etc.

Each of us that are afflicted by Satan in a way, when God saves us in an innocent sacrifice, this all goes to the judgment of Satan. He is the accuser of his brethren, attempting to say to God that man is not worthy to be saved. And God said he will save us because he loves his children.

So Satan keeps on building up his own judgment which ultimately will result in him being bound a thousand years, loosed for a little season and then cast into the lake of fire. And for some reason this must be done.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say and why did God allow children to die? :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really understand what you're trying to say and why did God allow children to die? :(

It's the same question people have in courts of law. "Why does God allow that evil man to kill my family?". We have to commit sin to be judged, or act in righteousness to receive reward. God allows evil, including Satan's so that in heaven, they will not be among us. They will be judged by their works into a lower state dwelling. And we will be safe from them thereafter forever and ever. Does that make sense?

Reactions: April_Rose

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of the children weren't young anymore. They were adult children...but part of Job's household...three to four generations would live in the same "house" although it would consist of several actual houses.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the same question people have in courts of law. "Why does God allow that evil man to kill my family?". We have to commit sin to be judged, or act in righteousness to receive reward. God allows evil, including Satan's so that in heaven, they will not be among us. They will be judged by their works into a lower state dwelling. And we will be safe from them thereafter forever and ever. Does that make sense?

Sort of, and I know that God is a good fair judge,.. but it specifically states in my Message Bible that God didn't want any harm to come to Job but to anybody else it was perfectly alright so clearly I'm missing something here. :/ (On a completely separate note, my original question involves a time in my life where I did become angry at God so that's why I knew I could never be like Job. In the end I discovered that it wasn't His fault, and my faith has become stronger due to my struggling time,.. but I've doubted, backslid, etc.)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many of the children weren't young anymore. They were adult children...but part of Job's household...three to four generations would live in the same "house" although it would consist of several actual houses.

That actually makes more sense to me. I guess it's just like Simba says in The Lion King "sometimes bad things happen and there isn't anything that anybody can do about it so why worry?" Maybe Job understood that.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sort of, and I know that God is a good fair judge,.. but it specifically states in my Message Bible that God didn't want any harm to come to Job but to anybody else it was perfectly alright so clearly I'm missing something here. :/ (On a completely separate note, my original question involves a time in my life where I did become angry at God so that's why I knew I could never be like Job. In the end I discovered that it wasn't His fault, and my faith has become stronger due to my struggling time,.. but I've doubted, backslid, etc.)

See,
While you get mad at God during difficult times, Job had similar reasons to and his wife was encouraging him to...but he was asking and pleading for an advocate to plead his case before God that he didn't do anything wrong.

But in the end.
Job seen God and even though Job was a "good guy" and knew it, he decided that he wasn't good enough and despised himself and wanted to repent in dust and ashes.

But God said that he was "good enough" and if he prayed for his friends who considered themselves more righteous than Job God would forgive his friends.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See,
While you get mad at God during difficult times, Job had similar reasons to and his wife was encouraging him to...

LOL now I see why Satan didn't do anything to her considering that fact that she was his advocate. (I'm not laughing at the fact that she was telling him to be angry with and hate God btw.) Still though, I've come to the conclusion that Job was still a sinner sometimes, but he just didn't sin at this time because he didn't start taking his anger out on God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't believe that God wants anyone harmed, unless it will do some good. For instance, we have to eat animals and kill them to stay alive. And having food for animal or man is good, but animals must die to sustain that food.

And then there is killing evil people. A serial killer that will not stop killing other people must be given the death penalty or he may end up killing people even in prison. How do we stop a dictator that kills innocent people like Hitler? Sometimes they must die to end their tyranny.

The point is that Gods IQ is infinite in understanding human nature. And often we don't and won't understand how he frees people like the slaves in Egypt and killing the Pharaohs first born. But we see from the Bible that it worked to free the slaves. So in the end we see that Gods IQ was sufficient in dealing with the Pharaoh.

And that leads us to trusting in God that not only is he good and loving, but also his intelligent nature is infinite in dealing with man. Do I or will I ever understand why God does what he does? The answer is a simple "No" because it goes over my head, so to speak. :) Hope that helps.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For instance, we have to eat animals and kill them to stay alive. And having food for animal or man is good, but animals must die to sustain that food.

And then there is killing evil people. A serial killer that will not stop killing other people must be given the death penalty or he may end up killing people even in prison.

Careful, you're liable to open up a can of worms if you start making statements like those. I agree with them, but not everybody does. And in response as what else I posted above,.. my main point was this,.. of course Satan is going to love people who tell their loved ones to sin so I was laughing at the fact that it wasn't any wonder why he wanted Job's wife around since she was doing his work for him.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Careful, you're liable to open up a can of worms if you start making statements like those. I agree with them, but not everybody does. And in response as what else I posted above,.. my main point was this,.. of course Satan is going to love people who tell their loved ones to sin so I was laughing at the fact that it wasn't any wonder why he wanted Job's wife around since she was doing his work for him.

I've been taught that Satan loves evil, whether he loves people that do evil, that is a question of debate. But perhaps Satan would desire you to continue to sin, but in the end might kill you in your sin to commit you to the judgment of God. Remember Satan is the accuser of his brethren and desires to send man to judgment in their sins to bring to pass a better accusation against them.

Revelation 12:9-10

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

R

Rita

I actually find the book of Job more of an ‘ insight ‘ into the bigger battle. Satan challenges God by asking if Job loves him just because he has been blessed. The Lord knew that it went deeper than that with Job.
All of us face adversity, I doubt there is not one of us on this forum that has experienced the pain of loss, grief, betrayal ect. So how is our faith and trust in the Lord when Satan wants us to fall apart, wants us to get angry with God, wants us to doubt. Is our faith deeper or do we just love God when he is sending blessings our way. Job did question, he did address the ‘ why me ‘. In the end he learns a valuable lesson that God is in charge even when we don’t understand. I don’t understand all the violence of the OT, but it doesn’t devalue how I trust that God knows the ‘ whys ‘.
The other aspect of Job is how those around him react, valuable lessons in how we say things to many people going through things that actually can make their pain even worse. Do we follow his wife’s example, or his friends, I certainly have experienced the wrong kind of reaction and I know I have not been empathic to others in the way that would have been helpful.
The book of job is more about reactions and responses, and how Satan endeavours to use what we face. I have always found it encouraging that Satan has to ask permission, he is not the higher power in all this. So God still holds the cards of control.
I don’t know all the answers, but I do completely trust in Romans 28:8 , because through all the long list of things I have gone through as a mum, daughter, sister, wife ect I have been able to look back and see the Lord working for good. It didn’t make sense until I looked back xx
Rita

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
30 some chapters Job speaks of his righteousness, it’s apparent that he didn’t know Jesus. That’s the reason for the trial.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
30 some chapters Job speaks of his righteousness, it’s apparent that he didn’t know Jesus. That’s the reason for the trial.
The story/song of Job was written by Moses... centuries before Jesus was born.