John 1:1 - Jesus is the Father or he's not the one true God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PinSeeker: Well, they (Biden & Harris) do aim to be unified in purpose.

As in being "one" ala John 10:30?
Of course not. The earthly and the supernatural cannot be equated (you know that), which, I was absolutely clear on (you know that, too), Rich. But yet you do, um, stuff... :)... like this. Why, Rich? Why is that? It's terribly dishonest. And I'll add, too, that the Father and the Son do not merely aim ~ and certainly do not fail, even sometimes ~ to be perfectly unified in purpose. :)

What a novel concept!
Yes, it certainly was novel, because it was so incongruous with anything I have said.

BTW, I do think you have a healthy sense of humor. A good thing to have in my book.
:)

Grace and peace to you, Rich.

PinSeeker: but one in substance.

This has to rank as THE biggest, boldest, bald faced lie trinitarians tell.
Your characterizing it as a "lie" does not make it so, Wrangler. As I have said, I have no real problem with your holding on to that opinion.

1. Jesus died. God is eternal.
  2. Jesus is a man. God is not a man. Hosea 11:9
  3. Jesus is flesh. God is Spirit.
  4. Jesus submitted to God. God did not submit to Jesus' will.
  5. God is the Creator. Jesus, being a son, is a created Being.
  6. Jesus was sent by God. God was not sent by Jesus.
  7. Jesus was told what to say AND how to say it by God. God was NOT told what to say by Jesus.
  1. Jesus was with the Father in the beginning (John 1), Jesus took His own life back up again (John 10:17), and Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Yes, all three Persons of the triune Jehovah are eternal.
  2. Jesus is both God and man (Philippians 2:6-7, 1 Timothy 2:5-6), which is what qualifies Him as Mediator between the two, as He was tempted in every way we are, yet remained without sin (Hebrews 4:15)
  3. Jesus is the Word made flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14-17), Who was in the beginning with God and was God (John 1:1). And He is our High Priest in the order of Melchizedek (rather than Levi; Hebrews 7:17).
  4. Agreed.
  5. God is the creator, of course (Genesis 1), and Jesus was in the beginning with God, and all things were made through Jesus, and without Jesus nothing was made (created) that was made (created) (John 1:2-3), not even Himself.
  6. Agreed.
  7. Agreed.
Certainly, you can be as hard-headed ~ ah, well, hard-hearted, really ~ as you want, Wrangler.

Sure you can! This is because none of the Scripture you quoted say anything like the trinity doctrine, The nature of God is a trinity - consisting of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit who are co-equal, co-substantial and co-eternal - and if you do not believe this, you cannot be saved but are damned to hell forever.
Yet again, yes, God is triune and consisting of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit who are co-equal, co-substantial and co-eternal. But I would disagree with anyone who says not understanding God to be triune dooms one to hell forever. But believing in Jesus is, well, another story. :)

...demanding they be interpreted the trinitarian way.
I don't demand anything, Wrangler. Go your own way.

Grace and peace to you, Wrangler.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The earthly and the supernatural cannot be equated (you know that), which, I was absolutely clear on (you know that, too)

Just another fallacious trinitarian talking point. We don’t determine equality based on the one way they are different. That’s how inequality is determined.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was with the Father in the beginning (John 1),

You say it is not a lie then IMMEDIATELY invoke a verse that does NOT say what you claim. In your parlance, it is your opinion that John 1 says that Jesus was with the Father in the beginning.

However, if you examine the text, you will find it does not reference Jesus OR the Father in the beginning. It references God - in his unitarian nature - in the beginning. THIS was (not ‘he’) was in the beginning with God in v2. See Houtos in John 6:60.

So, John 1:1 references 2 things, neither of which is Jesus or the Father. It is a lie to suppose it invalid to take Scripture at face value; that it is talking about God - in his unitarian nature - and his word. This word was later put in the mouth of one of the people of Israel.

John 1 later this this word (of God) became flesh; it does not say God became flesh.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a NO! to every single point of misinterpreted scripture...and repeating your tired rhetoric over and over is tedious.

No, I'm sorry, it is just the opposite...

1 Corinthians 8:5-6...NKJV...

"For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live."

That is a clear and unequivocal statement.....the apostles collectively identified their "one God" as "the Father", and their "one Lord" as "Jesus Christ".

You can try to make that mean something else, but it would be a manipulation of the truth.

Your spirit of delusion, preaching your added words into Paul's words, is exposed by your lies that you post.

Paul's words "yet for us there is but one God the Father from whom are all things and we exist for Him and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things and we exist through Him" (1 Corinthians 8:6).

Your words "yet for us there is but one God the Father from whom are all things and we exist for Him and SEPARATE FROM GOD one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things, and we exist through Him" (Aunty Jane's book of Second Guessing 8:6).

It is written "do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar" (Proverbs 30:6).

The "one God" is the person of the Father and the person of Lord Jesus Christ per Paul in verse 6 and Titus 2:13.

The apostles most certainly did call Jesus God.

The Truth (John 14:6) is that Jesus is God for the ever living Word of God proclaims this Truth "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM" (John 8:58) and the Word of God says "I will settle him in My house and in My kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever" (1 Chronicles 17:14), so according to the Word, Lord Jesus existed in eternity past and will exist in eternity future which means the Word is uncreated thus the Word proclaims that the Word is YHWH God for there is NO other that exists in eternity past and future (Isaiah 45:5).

Immanuel (Matthew 1:23 "God with us"), Jesus, is truly Almighty God, YHWH, with us (Revelation 1:8) (see see the Truth [John 14:6] that God had me compose in post #283 to expose the deception of tigger 2 and Rich R).

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PinSeeker: The earthly and the supernatural cannot be equated...

We don’t determine equality based on the one way they are different.
Ah, so in your understanding (which of course I have understood all through this exchange), Jesus, the Son of God ~ though also the Son of Man ~ is not of the supernatural, though He was with the Father at creation. Yes, I get you loud and clear. :)

You say it is not a lie then IMMEDIATELY invoke a verse that does NOT say what you claim...
In your opinion. Yes, I get you, loud and clear.

In your parlance, it is your opinion that John 1 says that Jesus was with the Father in the beginning.
Well, based on God's "parlance," yes, that is my opinion. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with you calling that my opinion. But even still, it is what it is... "the Word of our God endures forever" (Isaiah 40:8; 1 Peter 1:25).

...if you examine the text, you will find it does not reference Jesus OR the Father in the beginning. It references God - in his unitarian nature - in the beginning. THIS was (not ‘he’) was in the beginning with God in v2. See Houtos in John 6:60.
...according to the Watchtower's re-engineering of God's Word. Yeah, no thanks to heresy.

As I have said, I agree that God is presented in His unitarian ~ perfectly unified ~ nature. And I agree that in John 1:1, John is only referring to the Word ~ Who, of course, is not the Father, but Whom he finally names in John 1:17 as Jesus Christ, through Whom came grace and truth. To see this any other way is quite astounding, but so be it. And this is only the prologue of John's gospel, and as such the rest of his gospel is spent showing this in multiple ways, which he explicitly writes at the close of John 20...

"...these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name" (John 20:31)

...which takes me back to my statement in a previous post that not believing Jesus is Who He says and shows He is ~ one with the Father, He in the Father and the Father in Him, and the Way, the Truth, and the Life, among other things ~ is why some will be resurrected to judgment and thus spend eternity... elsewhere.

So, John 1:1 references 2 things, neither of which is Jesus or the Father.
See immediately above. As I have said, your "understanding" is... quite astounding. But still, the Word of our God endures forever; it is what it is.

PinSeeker: I do credit myself, humbly, with having a pretty good sense of humor, yes.

You do. That’s why I say that you are so funny.
Well, thank you for the compliment (at least I'll take it as such...). But I feel quite sure that's not what you meant by me being... funny. :) Which would mean that you're here taking yourself out of your own context... :)

You know, I don't want to get ahead of myself or anyone else, but Rich seems to have decided to break off from this exchange, and I would humbly suggest that you and I do the same. But, do as you wish, my friend.

Grace and peace to you.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, so in your understanding (which of course I have understood all through this exchange), Jesus, the Son of God ~ though also the Son of Man ~ is not of the supernatural, though He was with the Father at creation. Yes, I get you loud and clear. :)
No, you do not get me at all in switching God, in his wholeness, in his unitarian nature, in Scripture in the beginning with ‘the Father.’

You do this because you realize the contradiction.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you do not get me at all...
Well, I do ~ we can agree to disagree on that, too ~ but I just choose not to go there myself. You've made yourself very clear on where you stand, although, to be quite honest, I knew that very well from the start of this exchange, ergo, I get you. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity Board Statement of Faith

We believe that God is the Creator, Sustainer, and Ruler of the universe. We attest that God has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. (Genesis 1:1, 26-27, Genesis 3:22, Deuteronomy 6:4, Psalm 90:2, John 1:1, John 10:30, Romans 3:30, II Corinthians 13:14, I Peter 1:2)

We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a completely sinless human life and offered himself freely on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all, according to God’s plan revealed from the beginning. After three days, Jesus arose from the dead to demonstrate his power over death. He ascended to heaven to await his future return as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Genesis 3:15, Isaiah 9:6-7, Matthew 1:22-25, John 1:1-5, John 14:10-30, Acts 1:9-11, Romans 1:3-4, I Corinthians 15:3-4, I Timothy 6:14-15, Titus 2:3, Hebrews 4:14-15)

We believe that the Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and Son (Jesus). He is present in this world as an intercessor to make men and women aware of their need for Jesus the Christ. The Holy Spirit resides in every believer from the moment of salvation. He empowers the Christian with strength for living, understanding the truth, witnessing to others, and in doing what is right. (John 14:16-17, John 16:7-13, Acts 1:8, I Corinthians 2:12, I Corinthians 3:16, II Corinthians 3:17, Galatians 5:16-25, Ephesians 1:13-14, Ephesians 5:18-21)

Why are you here?

Much love!

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#283, kermos:

In Judaism, names are significant.

Names are significant, and YHWH God places value on names with purpose, meaning, and/or character.

God's Holy Name of YHWH is profoundly significant, and God enshrines the value of God's Holy Name in the commandant "You shall not take the name of YHWH your God in vain, for YHWH will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7).

Joshua's name means "YHWH saves", not "Joshua saves". Joshua is a profound name. Joshua!s name testifies about God's attribute, that God saves people, not Joshua being "God with us".

Immanuel is God's chosen name for Lord Jesus Christ.

Immanuel's name means "God with us" (Matthew 1:23). Immanuel is a profound name. Immanuel's name testifies about Immanuel's attribute, that Immanuel is God with us.
Immanuel

Should Jesus really be considered to be God because he was symbolically “named” Immanuel (Is. 7:14; Mt. 1:23) which means “God is with us”?[#] No more so than Gabriel was calling himself God when he visited Mary and declared: “The Lord is with thee” - Luke 1:28. Nor did Zacharias mean that John the Baptizer (his new son) was actually God when he was asked, “I wonder what this child [John] will turn out to be?”, and he answered, “Praise the Lord, the God of Israel, for he has come to visit his people and has redeemed them.” - Luke 1:66-68, LB.

Gabriel and Zacharias (Zechariah) meant exactly what Israelites have meant throughout thousands of years when saying “God is with us” and similar statements. They meant “God has favored us” or “God is helping us”! - Gen. 21:22; Ex. 18:19; Nu. 23:21; josh. 1:9; 1 Chron. 17:2; 2 chron. 1:1; 35:21; ezra 1:3; is. 8:10. And Joshua 1:17; 1 Samuel 10:7; 2 Chron. 15:2-4, 9 (cf., Jer. 1:8; Haggai 1:13). But if we insist on trinitarian-type “proof,” then Gabriel must have meant that he (Gabriel) is God! And Zacharias (whose own name means ‘Jehovah is renowned’ - p. 678, TDOTB) must have meant that John the Baptizer is God! – Also see 1 Sam. 17:37; 2 Sam. 14:17; 1 Ki. 8:57; 1 Chron. 17:2; 22:18; 2 Chron. 36:23; Is. 41:10; Amos 5:14; Zech 8:23.

This understanding is seen throughout the Bible. For example, “But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.” - 1 Corinthians 14:24-25, RSV.

Or, in a Psalm many of us apply to ourselves or our friends:

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me - ASV.

The trinitarian Bible dictionary, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, 1986, Vol. 2, pp. 86, 87, states:

“The name Emmanuel [or Immanuel] which occurs in Isa. 7:14 and 8:8 means lit. ‘God [is] with us’ .... In the context of the times of Isaiah and King Ahaz the name is given to a child as yet not conceived with the promise that the danger now threatening Israel from Syria and Samaria will pass ‘before the child knows how to refuse evil and choose the good.’ Thus, the child and its name is a sign of God’s gracious saving presence among his people .... [The name Emmanuel] could be a general statement that the birth and naming of the special child will indicate that the good hand of God is upon us.” - p. 86. And, “The point of the present passage [Matt. 1:23] is to see in the birth of Jesus a saving act of God, comparable with the birth of the first Emmanuel. Both births signify God’s presence with his people through a child.” - p. 87.

Or as noted trinitarian scholar Murray J. Harris tells us:

“Matthew [in Matt. 1:23] is not saying, ‘Someone who is “God” is now physically with us,’ but ‘God is acting on our behalf in the person of Jesus.’” - p. 258, Jesus as God, Baker Book House, 1992.

Footnote:

# How do we know that Immanu El in Hebrew means ‘God is with us’? We know because shortly after it is introduced in Isaiah 7:14 and repeated in 8:8, the very same Hebrew term is explained in 8:10 - “God is with us” - KJV; RSV; NRSV; NASB; NIV; NEB; REB; NJB; NAB; MLB; LB; etc.

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I do ~ we can agree to disagree on that, too ~ but I just choose not to go there myself. You've made yourself very clear on where you stand, although, to be quite honest, I knew that very well from the start of this exchange, ergo, I get you. :)

Grace and peace to you.
The amazing thing about forums is that so many know so much about somebody they've never met. Or they think they do at any rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrangler

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The amazing thing about forums is that so many no so much about somebody they've never met. Or they think they do at any rate.
Just saying I am fully aware of where he stands on the topic being discussed here, Rich. And I would say the same concerning you.

Grace and peace to you.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saying I am fully aware of where he stands on the topic being discussed here, Rich. And I would say the same concerning you.

Grace and peace to you.
Do you think I'm your brother?

Phil 2:1-4,

1 If [there be] therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind.

3 [Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.​

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think I'm your brother?
Is that important to you? Ah, I'm asking that rhetorically, really. But to your question, I think, Rich, that you could be. And you can take that validly in at least two... no, three different ways.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that important to you? Ah, I'm asking that rhetorically, really. But to your question, I think, Rich, that you could be. And you can take that validly in at least two different ways.

Grace and peace to you.
I was just wondering if you are like many, if not most, who think that belief in Jesus being God is a requirement for salvation. I guess I could have just asked you that straightaway instead of beating around the bush. :)

Last edited:

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas' exclamation does not cancel out the rest of the apostles' statement. Since the Bible does not contradict itself, then Thomas was NOT contradicting the other apostles. "Theos" doesn't just mean Yahweh....it can be any 'god-like' individual or one who is authorized by Yahweh to carry out a task. Yahweh called the judges in Israel "gods"......were they his equal? "Lord" is a title of respect, not another name for Yahweh.

Your spirit of delusion, preaching that Thomas has more than one god based on John 20:28, is exposed by your lies that you post.

Your first sentence there is absolutely correct! Thomas' exclamation that Jesus is Thomas' Lord does not cancel out Thomas' continuing with the Apostle Thomas' statement declaring that Jesus is Thomas' God!

"Thomas answered and said to Him, 'My Lord and my God!'" (John 20:28).

Ἀπεκρίθη Θωμᾶς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ Ὁ Κύριός μου καὶ ὁ Θεός μου (John 20:28, Greek).

Answered Thomas and said to-Him the Lord of-me and the God of-me (John 20:28, word-for-word(s) translation of Greek to English).

As is clearly evident Thomas identifies Jesus as the God of Thomas, and notice the definite article ὁ/the preceding Θεός/God of which God is grammatically the direct object with possessive ownership of the indirect object μου/of-me.

By the way, Ὁ/the and Κύριός/Lord follow precisely the grammatical structure as ὁ/the and Θεός/God, so the grammar is solidified.

The Apostle John specifically identifies the grammatical subject for both direct objects as being the One addressed by Thomas for the sentence "the Lord of me and the God of me" ("my Lord and My God"). Jesus is the grammatical subject of Thomas sentence because Thomas addressed Jesus as indicated by εἶπεν αὐτῷ/said to-Him.

Therefore, "you are my Lord and you are my God" is the equivalent for Thomas' sentence in John 20:28.

In effect, Thomas declares "you are my Lord, and you are my God".

Thomas knew the commandant "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3); therefore, Thomas referred to Jesus as YHWH God with "my God" in John 20:28 because Thomas would not violate the commandment.

Thomas has no gods before YHWH God, that is, Jesus is YHWH God according to the words of the Apostle Thomas.

Thomas knew that God is One (Deuteronomy 6:4), and Thomas made it clear that Jesus is the One True God (Deuteronomy 6:4) in John 20:28.

This means that the Apostle Thomas confesses Jesus, Thomas' God, is everlasting YHWH God!

You impose your unbelieving thoughts upon Thomas with your words "god-like" to make Jesus into "a god", yet Thomas did not say "god-like". Truly, Thomas declares unto Jesus that is his only One True God, YHWH God!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:1-3,

1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.​

Jesus was talking to his Father and called Him the only true God. This is in complete agreement with Corinthians.

1 Cor 8:6,

But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.
Again, the Father is called the one God.

John calls Jesus the son more than 50 times and never calls him the Father.

John 1:1,

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
If we say Jesus is God then that means he is either the Father (which is totally counter to the Creeds) or he is not the true God (John 17:3) nor the one God (1 Cor 8:6).

Many solve the problem by finding out exactly what the "word" (logos) is in John 1:1. Hint: it's not Jesus.

Please confine the discussion to these verses in John. All the other so-called proof verses don't change what John clearly said. All verses have to fit.
If Jesus isn't God you don't have a Savior. You're heading for Hell fire.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus isn't God you don't have a Savior. You're heading for Hell fire.
Acts 2:36,

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
This verse says God made Jesus both Lord and Christ, i.e., our savior. It says nothing about Jesus being God. In fact, if Jesus is God, it would be odd that God had to make him anything at all. I mean, if Jesus was God he would not need to be made something? Of course not. Does God need some other God to make Himself anything. It makes no sense.

Heading for hell fire? What an awful thing to say to a brother! You should be ashamed and repent.

Last edited:

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas' exclamation does not cancel out the rest of the apostles' statement. Since the Bible does not contradict itself, then Thomas was NOT contradicting the other apostles. "Theos" doesn't just mean Yahweh....it can be any 'god-like' individual or one who is authorized by Yahweh to carry out a task. Yahweh called the judges in Israel "gods"......were they his equal? "Lord" is a title of respect, not another name for Yahweh.

Your spirit of delusion, preaching that there are many actual gods, is exposed by your lies that you post.

YOU ARE GODS and MANY GODS

The figure of speech called an oxymoron respecting "you are gods" (Psalm 82:6, John 10:34) and "many gods" (1 Corinthians 8:5).

Scripturally addressing your unreasonable scope claim that there are many gods with respect to the New Testament.

The Greek word θεὸς (Strong's 2316 - also Θεὸν - Theos, theos [transliteration] - God, Deity, god, deity [English]) can be dependent upon surrounding grammar and context.

The Greek word ἄγγελος (Strong's 32 - aggelos [transliteration] - messenger, angel [English]) is the parlance for angel in the New Testament, and the word θεὸς (God) is never used to refer to an ἄγγελος (angel) in the New Testament.

In the 27 books of the New Testament, the word "god" is used in one of two ways.

The first way is in the good sense which is in reference to YHWH, and I prefer a capital "G" for the good sense, like this, YHWH God.

The second way is in the evil sense which can be in reference to the devil, and I prefer a lower case "g" for the evil sense, like this, the god of this world.

Only two senses for the word "god" exists, and the senses are either good or evil. There is no middle ground.

Of the over 1000 times that the Greek word θεὸς (Strong's 2316 - also Θεὸν - God, god) or it's inflections are used in the New Testament, only the good sense or the evil sense indicated above are represented, as shown in this concordance page blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g2316/nasb95/tr/0-1/, and I reviewed all the included verses to make certain - and θεὸς (God) is not used one time to indicate angels.

The good sense for the word θεὸς (God) applies to Jesus; therefore, Thomas declares Jesus is YHWH God in John 20:28 for only God is good (Mark 10:18).

Let's look at the definition and etymology of the word "oxymoron".

Oxymoron: noun, A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

[Greek (attested only in Latin sources) oxumōron, an expression that is witty because paradoxical, from neuter of *oxumōros, pointedly foolish : Greek oxus, sharp, keen; see oxygen + mōros, dull, foolish.]

From the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

"You are gods" (John 10:34 and Psalm 82:6) - the unanimous oxymoron found in both the Old Testament and New Testament.

Watchtower Society people and their ilk practice lawlessness (Matthew 7:21-23) throughout their writings, for example, their foolish words along the lines of Jesus "confessed that his Father called the judges in Israel 'gods'" in support of their deception about John 10:34 where Jesus refers back to "I said, 'You are gods'" (Psalm 82:6) as recorded in John 10:34.

Now, who is the "I" in "I said" in Psalm 82:6? The "I" is Asaph as identified in Psalm 82:1, so the quote in Psalm 82:6 is not God the Father speaking; therefore, you lie when you write things like Jesus "confessed that his Father called the judges in Israel 'gods'"!

The Jews knew that Jesus proclaimed Himself to be God with "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30, but see John 10 in general), yet the Jews denied rhe Righteousness of Jesus for the Apostle John shows immediately after Jesus' words that "the Jews picked up stones again to stone Him" (John 10:31).

The Jews themselves explained their own actions "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God" (John 10:33), so the Jews deny Jesus' Deity, yet Jesus openly proclaims His Deity.

Watchtower Society people are in league with the Jews.

We Christians believe the Apostle John's words. John declares that John believes that Jesus "was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God" (John 5:18).

The fact is that the Apostle John is the person who proclaimed that Jesus made Himself equal with God (John 5:18). John wrote in such a way that John expresses John's belief that Jesus is equal with God (John 5:18). Equality with God is to be God.

In John 10:34-36, Jesus, who is God (John 1:1-3, John 1:14, John 5:18, John 8:58, John 20:28, Isaiah 9:6, 2 Peter 1:1, Titus 2:13), rebukes the Jews.

See that Jesus words of "Has it not been written in your Law, "I said, 'you are gods'? If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came and the Scripture cannot be broken, do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?" (John 10:34-36) refers back to the psalmist passage rebuking the Jews (Psalm 82:6).

Notice that Jesus' words integrate the greater of Psalm 82 by referencing a small portion because Jesus says "the Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35); furthermore, a person can use a small portion of scripture to integrate a fuller passage - a technique used by Jesus.

In fact, here is what Asaph said that Asaph said "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High, Nevertheless you will die like men And fall like any one of the princes" (Psalm 82:6-7), so Asaph employed an oxymoron effectively conveying "you are not gods" to the Jews; in other words, both Asaph and Jesus told the people that they are no gods at all, and that the people know not righteousness (Psalm 82:1-8) for God is not like a man that dies (Numbers 23:19), and God knows the way of righteousness (Psalm 1:6).

Like the Jews, you yourself cannot judge what is right (Luke 12:57). The context of the people NOT being "gods" is clear in John 10:34-36 and Psalm 82:6-7.

As is evident in John 10:34-36 based on the above Truth (John 14:6), Lord and God Jesus (John 20:28) was not saying that there are potentially additional gods before the One True God as you preach, but rather Jesus eliminates the potential for the Jews to be gods.

While Jesus told the Jews that they are not gods - not even able to discern the Righteous Branch, Jesus, standing before them, Jesus declares Himself to be YHWH God to the Jews with "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM" (John 8:58).

Furthermore, the Apostle John expressed that Jesus is God (John 1:1). The context for "God" is clear in John 1:1 for there is only One True God (Deuteronomy 6:4-5), and the word "theos" is in the context of the good sense in John 1:1.

Paul conveyed that the world's "many gods" are false, but that One God is real.

The Word of God (John 1:1-5, John 1:14) says "I am YHWH, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God" (Isaiah 45:5).

The Apostle Paul is in accord with the Word of God for Paul wrote "Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, yet for us there is but one God the Father from whom are all things and we exist for Him and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things, and we exist through Him" (1 Corinthians 8:4-6).

The "one God" is the person of the Father and the person of Lord Jesus Christ per Paul in verse 6.

Paul wrote "there is no such thing as an idol in the world" in verse 4, yet people have idols.

Paul establishes that he is being illustrative with "no such thing as an idol" because people have many false gods and masters (lords) in the world (verse 5).

Paul utilized rhetoric when describing idols, "many gods", and "many lords"; on the other hand, Paul wrote in absolute terms when describing the One True God.

In verse 4 and verse 6, Paul establishes there is One God, so his "as indeed there are many gods and many lords" (verse 5) cannot be his endorsement of the existence of true gods in addition to his declared One God in verse 4 and 6 - after all Paul had just classified the "many gods" as "so-called gods".

Paul encapsulated that the "many gods" are false gods.

Paul used the linguistic oxymoron construction to effectively convey that there are no other gods and there is One YHWH God.

The word of you is "I am Jehovah, and there are others; besides Me there are Gods" (your heart's adulterated version based on your writings).

The Apostle Thomas is not going to refer to Jesus as "a god" because such a thing results in two gods. According to your heart's treasure, you claim to have:

Jehovah God + Jesus a god = two gods.

You subtract the fullness of "God" in John 20:28; therefore, you have more than one God because you say that John 20:28 means that Jesus is "a god".

Since your heart contends that Jesus is "a god" necessarily before Jehovah God for your salvation, then you have more than one god which places you in violation of "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3).

THE GREEK WORD THEOS (GOD) EXCLUSIVELY REFERS TO THE ONE TRUE GOD (DEUTERONOMY 6:4) IN THE GOOD SENSE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT, SO "MY GOD" (JOHN 20:28) REFERS TO JESUS AS THE ONE TRUE GOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.