John 14:6 and Context

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'And if I go and prepare a place for you.
I will come again, and receive you unto Myself;
that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Thomas saith unto Him,

"Lord, we know not whither Thou goest;
and how can we know the way?"
Jesus saith unto him,
"I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
(John 14:3-6)

Hello there,

Isn't it amazing that you can read certain verses over and over again, and then one day you do so again and see something that you had not seen before.

I have quoted John 14:6 many times, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.' Yet looking at it now within it's context once again, I am seeing something within it that I have not previously seen.

The Lord was talking to His disciples in John 14:1+, telling them that He was going to His Father's house, where there are many mansions, and that He is going to prepare a place for them. Then He would return and receive them unto Himself, that where He was, there they may be also.

Then He tells them that they knew both where He was going and the way to get there. Thomas says, 'Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; and how can we know the way?' Yet the Lord had told them that He was going to His Father, and that He would return and receive them unto Himself. He had not spoken in terms of location or given a map reference, it was sufficient that He had told them Whom He was to go to, and that He would return to bring them to be with Him, being the only true and living way to the Father.

Does this not show that self effort is useless in this regard? For the only way to the Father is by the Lord coming to receive them to Himself. It will require either resurrection, or for those who are 'alive and remain' at His return a change in a moment in the twinkling of an eye as in 1 Thessalonians 4. There is no talk here of the disciples going to be with the Lord at death, for they cannot get there without the Lord's physical presence coming to take them there. He, physically, is the only way to the Father.

The disciples will physically go to the Father, not as disembodied spirits, but as living souls, in possession of a new body prepared for them (1 Corinthians 15). The Lord Jesus, Himself, bodily, is the only way to get there.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas saith unto Him,

Jesus saith unto him,

Hello there,

Isn't it amazing that you can read certain verses over and over again, and then one day you do so again and see something that you had not seen before.

I have quoted John 14:6 many times, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.' Yet looking at it now within it's context once again, I am seeing something within it that I have not previously seen.

The Lord was talking to His disciples in John 14:1+, telling them that He was going to His Father's house, where there are many mansions, and that He is going to prepare a place for them. Then He would return and receive them unto Himself, that where He was, there they may be also.

Then He tells them that they knew both where He was going and the way to get there. Thomas says, 'Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; and how can we know the way?' Yet the Lord had told them that He was going to His Father, and that He would return and receive them unto Himself. He had not spoken in terms of location or given a map reference, it was sufficient that He had told them Whom He was to go to, and that He would return to bring them to be with Him, being the only true and living way to the Father.

Does this not show that self effort is useless in this regard? For the only way to the Father is by the Lord coming to receive them to Himself. It will require either resurrection, or for those who are 'alive and remain' at His return a change in a moment in the twinkling of an eye as in 1 Thessalonians 4. There is no talk here of the disciples going to be with the Lord at death, for they cannot get there without the Lord's physical presence coming to take them there. He, physically, is the only way to the Father.

The disciples will physically go to the Father, not as disembodied spirits, but as living souls, in possession of a new body prepared for them (1 Corinthians 15). The Lord Jesus, Himself, bodily, is the only way to get there.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

While self-effort (that is natural self-effort, self-exertion in the Spirit is another matter) is useless to go to the Father I do not see how one does not go to be with the Lord at death for it says "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" and "if I make my bed in the grave You are there with me" and "I fill all Heaven and Earth." Not to mention if we were not with the Father even now we could not rightfully pray the Our Father, as that is the prayer of the children of God. Moreover the Father is not physical so though all go through the Lord to God the Father it does not make sense that we can not go to the Father now or as a spirit. I do agree that we will with our Resurrection bodies go to the Father as a whole human person again (for a human person without a body is broken, for we were made to have body, soul, and spirit).

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
While self-effort (that is natural self-effort, self-exertion in the Spirit is another matter) is useless to go to the Father I do not see how one does not go to be with the Lord at death for it says "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" and "if I make my bed in the grave You are there with me" and "I fill all Heaven and Earth." Not to mention if we were not with the Father even now we could not rightfully pray the Our Father, as that is the prayer of the children of God. Moreover the Father is not physical so though all go through the Lord to God the Father it does not make sense that we can not go to the Father now or as a spirit. I do agree that we will with our Resurrection bodies go to the Father as a whole human person again (for a human person without a body is broken, for we were made to have body, soul, and spirit).
Hello @Abaxvahl,

How do you explain the Lord's words here in John 14 then Abazvahl? He says He is going to come back for them. He says that no man can come to the Father by any other way, but by Him coming for them.

I will come back and discuss your reference to 2 Corinthians 5:8, which needs to be looked at in it's context, 2 Corinthians 5:1-8 at least. It is bed time here in the UK, but God willing I will come back tomorrow to consider this with you.

Thank you for responding.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Abaxvahl

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas saith unto Him,

Jesus saith unto him,

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Souls of the righteous dead go to heaven, to await the reuniting of themselves with their resurrected bodies at Jesus’ second coming.

John the revelator was caught up into heaven, and saw SOULS there.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the SOULS of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

In Thessalonians 4, Jesus comes to raise the dead bodies of the saints and reunite them with the souls He brings with Him from heaven.

Yes, when He returns for those bodies to raise from the dead, He at the same time brings the saints WITH HIM from heaven.

1Th 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God BRING WITH HIM.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the DEAD in Christ shall RISE first:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Those who die in Christ leave their home called the body, and become present with the Lord, as Paul made very clear in 2 Corinthians 5.

2Co 5:1 For we know that if our earthly HOUSE of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Co 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are AT HOME in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be ABSENT FROM the BODY, , and to be PRESENT with the Lord.

Scripture further makes that clear that at salvation, the Holy Spirit comes into our house, the body, and changes it from just a house, into the TEMPLE of the Holy Spirit.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your BODY is the TEMPLE of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

It further makes it clear that our body is a house when Jesus gives an example of a demon possessed man, who had a demon cast out of him, but the demon went out and got more demons, and returned to the man, and found his HOUSE swept clean, and moved right back in and brought the other demons with him, so that man was worse off than he was before.

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone OUT OF a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

Mat 12:44 Then he saith, I will return into my HOUSE from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.

Mat 12:45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they ENTER IN and DWELL there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Maranatha

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Abaxvahl John 14 is a glorious passage; and if reading it helps appreciation of the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ and a sure hope in Him, then it can be an immense blessing.

Reactions: Abaxvahl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas saith unto Him,

Jesus saith unto him,

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Excellent.

Christ's teaching here does not negate the doctrine on the soul's ascension into Heaven after death, but it was not the main thrust of His teaching here. The "way" they were to follow was ultimately to entirely emulate Christ; to suffer for Him and die for His sake, but to then being raised up unto glory and seated with Him in Heaven at the resurrection of the dead. The "way" also appears to have been a reference to the harrowing of Hell, whereby He led captivity captive.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Excellent.

Christ's teaching here does not negate the doctrine on the soul's ascension into Heaven after death, but it was not the main thrust of His teaching here. The "way" they were to follow was ultimately to entirely emulate Christ; to suffer for Him and die for His sake, but to then being raised up unto glory and seated with Him in Heaven at the resurrection of the dead. The "way" also appears to have been a reference to the harrowing of Hell, whereby He led captivity captive.
Hi @Hidden In Him I don't get anihilationism... (however you spell it...)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas saith unto Him,

Jesus saith unto him,

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

As Paul mentioned in verse 50 they will not physically enter into the heavens, nor did Jesus maam.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thomas saith unto Him,

Jesus saith unto him,

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

I see the big picture of the one on one relationship God with people, parallel to a Jewish relationship between one and one.
Particularly the steps, preceding a Jewish Marriage, from the day the Father arranges to the day the Veil is lifted and one and one are seeing each other face to face.

Once "arranged" by the Father...a "divorcement", ie severing (of intent), actually occurs BEFORE the marriage, during the "engagement" period, of one declining and "no reconciliation", occurs thereafter.
That parallels...the "tasting" (Heb 6:4-5)
And then...the "separation"(Heb 6:6)

The step by parallel between a pre- and actual Jewish wedding AND a persons pre- and actual joining with Christ, is quite an eye opening revelation, compared point by point, side by side.

Glory to God,
Taken

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Return to Me and I will return to you

Therefore thus says the LORD:
If you return, then I will bring you back; you shall stand before Me.
If you take out the precious from the vile, you shall be as My mouth.
Let them return to you, But you must not return to them.
"
(Jeremiah 15:19)
'return' is the same word as 'bring you back' here -- both can mean 'turn back' as in the literal meaning of the Greek word 'repent'
the first is if 'you do this' and the second is 'God will do this to you'
i.e. if you repent, God will return you to Himself; if you turn back, God will restore you --- he is too high, we cannot reach Him ((Proverbs 20:9 e.g.)) but if we turn towards Him, away from our own will, away from our own lusts, away from our sin, then He will bring us to Himself.

this is the same as John 14 -- He tells them, you know the way, and the place He goes to. it is Him, He is the Way, and the Gate, and the Life. but we cannot even make one of the hairs on our head stop from falling out: we must look to Him for life, and if we do, patiently, He will bring us to Himself.

not self-effort. turning away from self, towards Him

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
' ... ... And if I go and prepare a place for you.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know".'
Thomas saith unto Him,
Jesus saith unto him,
no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me
."

@Abaxvahl, @bbyrd009,@Curtis, @farouk
@Hidden In Him, @Robert Gwin, @Taken, @post

Hello there,

Thank you for your contributions to the thread.
God's word is wonderful, isn't it?

* The words of our Lord in response to Thomas in verse 6, 'I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by Me.', in consideration of what He had told the twelve concerning where He was going ('to the Father') and of His assurance that He would return and receive them unto Himself: seals this truth for me.

* As @Abaxvahl says, we who know the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour, and have thereby been saved by God's grace, can approach God, and have fellowship with both the Father and the Son by the Spirit now: which is wonderful. We have come to the Father in that spiritual sense already through our Saviour: but in John 14, the Lord is talking about going 'bodily' to the Father: and of coming again to receive His disciples 'bodily' to Himself; this is not a spiritual action but a physical one.

* @bbyrd009 refers to Malachi 3:7, with the words, ' ... return unto me and I will return to you', which were the words of God spoken through Malachi to the sons of Jacob (v.6). Here again is another aspect of coming to the Father, this time in repentance. Yet they also responded, like Thomas with a question, ' ... wherein shall we return?'

* @Curtis, and @Abazvahl both make reference to 2 Corinthians 5:8, @Curtis also referring to Revelation 6:9; Thessalonians 4:13-17; 2 Corinthians 5:1, 6 & 8; 1 Corinthians 6:19 and Matthew 12 43-45. Both maintaining that the believer goes to heaven when they die.

* @Hidden In Him, like @Curtis and @Abazvahl maintain that John 14:1-6 does not negate the possibility that believers go to heaven when they die. @Hidden In Him also looks at 'the way' in terms of the life lived once the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord is received: as well as the resurrection of their bodies finally.

* @farouk tells us that he does not believe in annihilation-ism: but @farouk my thread is not intended to be about that, but about the words of our Lord in John 14:3-6, and their implication.

* Only @Hidden In Him made reference to John 14, and the Lords words spoken there, and their meaning: for which I thank him.

* I do not have the time at the moment to address all the references you have given, but I am aware of them, and know of a surety that their context reveals their true import. I also know that entering into an argument in relation to them would be futile, for each will maintain their own stance and make a counter-argument, for this can be a divisive subject. May God be the Arbiter in this as in all things.

* Thank you to @Robert Gwin, @Taken, and @post for your responses, too.

Thank you :)
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Paul mentioned in verse 50 they will not physically enter into the heavens, nor did Jesus maam.

it doth not yet appear what we shall be:
but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him

(1 John 3:2)​

He is in heaven, is He not?
and He was physically resurrected -- a body, His own body, scars and all, this is what ascended.
He ate a fish, with honey: irrefutable proof. ((Luke 24:42-43))

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see the big picture of the one on one relationship God with people, parallel to a Jewish relationship between one and one.
Particularly the steps, preceding a Jewish Marriage, from the day the Father arranges to the day the Veil is lifted and one and one are seeing each other face to face.

Once "arranged" by the Father...a "divorcement", ie severing (of intent), actually occurs BEFORE the marriage, during the "engagement" period, of one declining and "no reconciliation", occurs thereafter.
That parallels...the "tasting" (Heb 6:4-5)
And then...the "separation"(Heb 6:6)

The step by parallel between a pre- and actual Jewish wedding AND a persons pre- and actual joining with Christ, is quite an eye opening revelation, compared point by point, side by side.

Glory to God,
Taken
Hello @Taken

I am not familiar with this teaching, but it sounds interesting.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Taken

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Taken

I am not familiar with this teaching, but it sounds interesting.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

it sounds like mixing up the Wife of YHWH with the Bride of Christ

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
he's talking about 1 Corinthians 15:50, ignoring verse 51
it sounds like mixing up the Wife of YHWH with the Bride of Christ
Hello @post,

Thank you for both posts. I will wait and see if @Robert Gwin responds before commenting on entry#9.

Regarding @Taken's post, you may be right, I have no way of knowing at the moment, for I have nothing to refer to, to substantiate it.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour,
our Lord and Head.
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thomas saith unto Him,
Jesus saith unto him,

@Abaxvahl, @bbyrd009, @Curtis, @farouk
@Hidden In Him, @Robert Gwin, @Taken, @post

Hello there,

I think I have always looked at John 14:6 in the same light as that of (Acts of the Apostles 4:12) 'Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.' In regard to salvation. Yet now I see it in quite a different way.

How important it is that we keep these wonderful verses in their context, and if we do quote them that we keep that context in mind.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: post
Status
Not open for further replies.