• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOu sir are a prevaricator! YOu have debunked nothing. Just presented your point of view as fact and expected me to bow down to your own sense of self superiority.

You find a word i SCripture and say see- that proves my point.

spirit of burning is not the Holy Spirit
Fanning the flames of the gift is not the Holy Spirit.

If you do not know that- you should go back to 3rd grade and relearn basic rules of grammar and vocabulary.
Actually almost everything you've said has been debunked.

Thanks.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is precisely the reason I don't debate with people who are too cowardly to fight their own battles.

Incidentally - it was your fellow ignorant anti-Catholic, @CadyandZoe who took this conversation off-topic.
Why not complain to him/her??

Ummmmm, I'd have to be a Priest to be a Jesuit, Einstein.
The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) are a Priestly order.

Your ignorance of ALL things Catholic is once again noted . . .
Sounds good just stop talking off topic.
It's not personal--anyone who changes the topic is told not to talk off topic.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow are you grasping at straws. YOu cannot even recognize an idiom in your hyper allegorical attempt to defend the indefensible.
LOL just by chance he uses "fire"--just by chance in light of everything else. Everything is just "coincidence" for you. The appearance of "fire" on Pentecost is also a coincidence. Anything to preserve your error.

Humble yourself.
Admit your error.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then we are done.

You are arrogant and brassy and very judgmental!

YOu refuse to defend you rpositions. You just restate thewm and leave it.

You bear false witness against your brethren and refuse to supply the evidence for your false accusations.

YOu may have the last word but I am done with you.

If I wrote the sky is blue, based on your "wat" you would want me to vewrify it by multiple on line sources. YOu appear to just wish to challenge anything that goes against your preconceived notions.

You cannot even defend fire as being of the Holy Spirit- nor attempt to rebut the sound hermeneutic I gave you.

You ignore rules of grammar.

And I did not see you say verse 6 was part of Johanine comma. Maybe it got lost in all the challenges you want to raise about simple grammar.

Have your last word, I shan't respond to it.

BTW your avatar suits you. It looks like a cop uniform and you appear to wish to be the spiritual police instead of abroither who can have an honest disagreement.

I cannot wish you well in your path, for even if you are right iin all your counter arguments, your spirit is one of hatre and darkness and accusations.
You know next to nothing and your posts prove it. I invite anyone to review our interactions. I do not wish any ill to you but really you know next to nothing that's just the truth.

The police officer avatar is from a film, and it is meant to connote "confrontation", which is indeed what these conversations are about--people getting confronted on their errors.

You're "done", all right--you have no defense.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is precisely the reason I don't debate with people who are too cowardly to fight their own battles.

Incidentally - it was your fellow ignorant anti-Catholic, @CadyandZoe who took this conversation off-topic.
Why not complain to him/her??

Ummmmm, I'd have to be a Priest to be a Jesuit, Einstein.
The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) are a Priestly order.

Your ignorance of ALL things Catholic is once again noted . . .
LOL You showed me the reason you don't debate me--after Jimmy Akin agreed with my points on the Church as New Eve (not Mary), which you had wasted time and energy impotently "protesting", and strutting around pretending to be defeating, you had nothing to say. You ran away with your tail between your legs. LOL What a joke. Thanks for the laugh.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL You showed me the reason you don't debate me--after Jimmy Akin agreed with my points on the Church as New Eve (not Mary), which you had wasted time and energy impotently "protesting", and strutting around pretending to be defeating, you had nothing to say. You ran away with your tail between your legs. LOL What a joke. Thanks for the laugh.
An YOU tell ME not to change the subject.

You're the poster boy for hypocrisy . . .

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An YOU tell ME not to change the subject.

You're the poster boy for hypocrisy . . .
LOL I made a comment I didn't start a new convo--beside, after Jimmy Akin sided with me on the issue (the Church as New Eve, not Mary) you refused to talk withe me on the thread where it WAS the topic so I had to confront you here. LOL

Anyway! Getting back to the topic now!

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand where you'd want to be cautious but it really seems the author wants me to come to this conclusion. I'm using the material he's providing me.
He is telling me what a person needs to enter the Kingdom. It's not talking about amniotic fluid--that is already assumed for every living person, so He wouldn't be "advising" them of that "need".
Yes, of course. If you remember, though, earlier I said that the water represents the first birth, the natural birth. So I am not saying that we need amniotic fluid. And I think we both agree that we need a second birth or a spiritual birth. The locus of the talk, then, is centered on Jesus' use of the term water.

I understand your view that "water and spirit" are talking about the same thing. On the other hand, you seem to have an objection to my view that "water and Spirit" are talking about two things, the first being something we already have.

Suppose a boy asks his father to take him out for some bow and arrow target practice. His father remarks, "all we need is a bow and some arrows". The boy remarks, "I already have the bow. Can we buy some arrows?"

In this example, the father makes note of the fact that target shooting requires both the bow AND the arrow. Bow and arrow are two things. The boy volunteers that he already has the bow, satisfying one of the two requirements.

By analogy then, Jesus tells Nicodemus that he needs both water and Spirit. Nicodemus volunteers that he already has the water, (so to speak.) Now, my interpretation might be wrong. All I'm saying is that it isn't as far fetched as it might appear at first blush.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's interesting to note that in the depths of your ignorance, you actually condemn Oral Tradition as a "Catholic" invention. Oral Tradition is as old as Judaism itself. The Jewish people had the WRITTEN and the ORAL teachings - and these were NOT the teachings condemned by Jesus in Mark 7:8-12. Those teachings were Corban, in context.

Jesus and the NT writers not only relied on Oral Tradition - they referred to it in the NT as BINDING:
Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION.
It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses.
It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exod. 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

2 Timothy 3:8 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION when speaking of Pharoah’s magicians, Jannes and Jambres.

Their names are not recorded in the Old Testament.

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two.
This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with Satan over Moses' body.
This is not found in the Old Testament.

YOUR claim that the "ONLY" source of information regarding divine revelation is Scripture - is a 16th century MAN-MADE invention.
NOWHERE, in the 1500 years prior to this was this ever taught.

Oh, by the way - the Canon of Scripture is a "Catholic" Tradition. YOU adhere to the SAME NT Canon that was declared by the Catholic Church in the 4th century. The Bible does NOT contain a list of Books that belong in it. This was declared by Christ's Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Regardless
of the fact that you reject His words - Jesus promised His Church . . .
John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
I can't respond to you here. My apologies.

Reactions: GracePeace

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you take your own OP off topic then it creates a bias one-sided application of the rules of being "off topic". The rule is in place to keep the thread about the OP and not every personal platform of thought that comes to mind.
Stay on Topic

Reactions: BreadOfLife

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you take your own OP off topic then it creates a bias one-sided application of the rules of being "off topic". The rule is in place to keep the thread about the OP and not every personal platform of thought that comes to mind.
Stay on Topic
Thanks.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Born of water" has been generally misunderstood. Many wrongly believe it means baptismal regeneration. Others wrongly believe that it is a reference to amniotic fluid. Few understand that it is a metaphor for the Word of God, which is "the seed" on the New Birth.

When Jesus spoke of being born of water, He was alluding to what was revealed in Ezekiel 36:25: Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Now what kind of water would God Himself sprinkle on sinners? Obviously it would not be H2O since it would cleanse from filthiness (sins) and idols. The answer is found in Ephesians 5:25,26: Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word...

According to this passage it is the application of the Word of God that cleanses the soul (by convicting and convincing). Thus it applies to the Gospel -- also the Word of God -- under the power of the Holy Spirit. and that is exactly what Peter and James tell us:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto you. (1 Peter 1:23-25)

This corresponds to the truth that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. And it is only those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ who are born again (contrary to Calvinistic nonsense about people being regenerated BEFORE they believe and are saved).

James confirms the words of Peter thus:
Of his own will begat he [gave birth to] us with the Word of Truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (James 1:19)

To sum up, when Jesus said that the New Birth is by the power of the Holy Spirit and the power of the Word of God, He was speaking about spiritual realities and not physical substances.
For Christ also said, ‘Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.’ Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: ‘Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from your souls; learn to do well…And though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white like wool; and though they be as crimson, I will make them white as snow…And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; he who leads to the layer the person that is to be washed calling him by this name alone…And this washing is called illumination, because they who learn these things are illuminated in their understandings. And in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Ghost, who through the prophets foretold all things about Jesus, he who is illuminated is washed.”
Justin Martyr, First Apology, 61 (A.D. 110-165).

“Moreover, the things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this also might be a sign of men’s being destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and laver of regeneration,–as many as come to the truth, and are born again, and receive blessing from God.”
Theopilus of Antioch, To Autolycus, 2:16 (A.D. 181).

” ‘And dipped himself,’ says [the Scripture], ‘seven times in Jordan.’ It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'”
Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For Christ also said, ‘Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.’ Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: ‘Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from your souls; learn to do well…And though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white like wool; and though they be as crimson, I will make them white as snow…And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; he who leads to the layer the person that is to be washed calling him by this name alone…And this washing is called illumination, because they who learn these things are illuminated in their understandings. And in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Ghost, who through the prophets foretold all things about Jesus, he who is illuminated is washed.”
Justin Martyr, First Apology, 61 (A.D. 110-165).

“Moreover, the things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this also might be a sign of men’s being destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and laver of regeneration,–as many as come to the truth, and are born again, and receive blessing from God.”
Theopilus of Antioch, To Autolycus, 2:16 (A.D. 181).

” ‘And dipped himself,’ says [the Scripture], ‘seven times in Jordan.’ It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'”
Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).
At least you're on topic. LOL!

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was Justin Martyr who first taught baptismal regeneration (as noted by you). And Theophilus and others followed along, calling it "the laver of regeneration". But since regeneration is supernatural and accomplished by the Holy Spirit within the soul and spirit, ordinary water cannot be said to have supernatural properties. But the Catholic church even teaches about the magical powers of "holy water", so this error is understandable.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
as Justin Martyr who first taught baptismal regeneration (as noted by you).
No, it was first taught by Jesus and the Apostles that Justin Martyr had received.
And Theophilus and others followed along, calling it "the laver of regeneration".
The vast majority of Christians (i.e. Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, etc.) believe that Baptism is regenerational -- that is to say, that the Sacrament itself transforms the person by "water and the Word," (cf. Eph 5:26) thus adopting that person into the Body of Christ and making that person a participant in the very same Sonship which Christ Himself enjoys with the Father (Romans 8:15-17, Galatians 4:6-7).
Denial of baptismal regeneration was invented by John Calvin.
But since regeneration is supernatural and accomplished by the Holy Spirit within the soul and spirit, ordinary water cannot be said to have supernatural properties. But the Catholic church even teaches about the magical powers of "holy water", so this error is understandable.
The error is separating water from spirit. Jesus didn't do that. See John 3:5. Nowhere in scripture is baptismal water separated from spirit. That is a 400+ year old man made tradition resulting in further division.

"magical powers of "holy water" ... I think you watch too many vampire movies. How you come to conclude from Justin Martyr's above quote that ordinary water has supernatural properties is anybody's guess. Without proper disposition, form, and intent, holy water is just water. The historic Church has never taught otherwise.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ex. 29:4; Lev. 8:6 – Aaron and his sons were washed in holy water in their consecration to the priesthood. Thus, we see the use of holy water during the beginning of salvation history.

Ex. 30:18-19 – the Lord requires Aaron and his sons to wash their hands and feet in holy water before they offered sacrifices to Him. The Church uses holy water for various purposes, and holy water fonts are generally located at the entrance of Catholic churches to be used before the sacrifice of Christ is offered to the Father.

Num. 5:17 – here again, the priest uses holy water. God uses natural matter to convey the supernatural, just as God who is Spirit became flesh in Christ Jesus.

Num. 8:7 – the Lord says to “sprinkle them with the water of remission.” The Lord uses water, a physical property, to convey His supernatural property of grace.

1 Kings 7:38-39 – in King Solomon’s temple, there were ten large basins of holy water. Holy water has always been used in the context of worship.

John 9:6-7 – Jesus uses clay and spittle to heal the blind man’s eyes, and ordered him to wash in the pool of Siloam to effect the cure. Jesus did not need to use spittle, clay and water, but He does to demonstrate that God uses the material things He created to give graces and heal us.

John 13:4-10 – the Lord uses water to wash the apostles’ feet to prepare them for their sacramental priesthood.

John 19:34 – water and blood flowed from Jesus’ pierced side on the Cross. The Church uses holy water as a symbol of our Lord’s life giving water that flowed from His sacred Heart, and as the property which brings about the power of Jesus Christ Himself, in baptism, the Eucharist, and other sacred rites of the Church.

Holy Water

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
St. Thomas Aquinas taught that water has been a natural sacrament since the dawn of creation. In the age of nature—from Adam through the patriarchs—water refreshed and cleansed humankind. In the age of Law—the time of Moses—water provided a spiritual rebirth for Israel as the nation began its journey to the promised land.

With Jesus, however, came the age of grace; and from that time onward water received the divine power of the Word made flesh. Though babies had always been born through “water,” now grown men and women could be “born of water and the Holy Spirit” (Jn 3:5). The Church Fathers taught that Jesus, by descending into the waters of the River Jordan, had sanctified the waters of the world. He made them living and life-giving (see Jn 4:10–14). He made them a source of supernatural regeneration, refreshment, and cleansing.

While we are on earth, we know spiritual things by means of sensible signs. It is only in glory that we will see divine things as they are, without their sacramental veils. According to St. Thomas, water ultimately “signifies the grace of the Holy Spirit . . . For the Holy Spirit is the unfailing fountain from whom all gifts of grace flow.” The book of Revelation confirms this, as it presents the Spirit’s grace as a “river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb” (Rev 22:1).
Scott Hahn

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
St. Thomas Aquinas taught that water has been a natural sacrament since the dawn of creation.
Based on what? There is no scriptural support for this philosophical idea. Indeed water destroyed the whole earth and every creature, other than eight souls and the animals in the Ark. So you have to decide whether the Bible is the only authoritative basis for any doctrine or not. Jesus taught that it was the only authoritative basis for any Christian doctrine.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Based on what? There is no scriptural support for this philosophical idea. Indeed water destroyed the whole earth and every creature, other than eight souls and the animals in the Ark.
You have to decide if water is a cleansing or an evil in that instance. The Gnostics believed that all things physical are evil, hence you have no physicality in your system, contrary to scripture. BTW, The Flood prefigures baptism.
So you have to decide whether the Bible is the only authoritative basis for any doctrine or not. Jesus taught that it was the only authoritative basis for any Christian doctrine.
Chapter and verse, please. "Sola Scriptura" is not found anywhere in Scripture and off topic derailer. Start a new thread.