JW's, SDA's, Unitarians and Mormons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Both SDA and LDS Christians have dietary restrictions. I don't recall the SDA ones too well off the top of my head. For LDS Christians, it's a promise to God to abstain from smoking/alcohol/coffee/tea and trying to take good care of your body.
Thank you for the clarification...

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Devin Wintch ... I read your honest post... I am one who has come out of and walked away from the Catholic Church...
After my mother died...( she was a devout Catholic )... I went to the priest who held her funeral service and told him
that I desire to be set free from the Catholic church... I ex-communicated myself... LOL ... The priest was gracious and
he blessed me... It was the beginning of FREEDOM for me... there is a lot of abuse in many organized religions... as you
probably have heard... here in Canada... the Catholic church is dealing with the fall-out of many missing and dead children
from the Residential schools... The pope has refused to apologize... It's all EVIL... all of it... ( my little thoughts )...

I have not read enough about the Mormons to give you advice... but to my understanding .... there is fault to their theology... serious fault.
I do NOT desire to get into a discussion about other religions...

My advice to you would be to simply PRAY and ask God to guide you to a bible believing fellowship... they are far and few between but they are out there. Blessings on you.... Tenderly... Addy
I've been praying for some time and not got an answer yet. I am baptized and like to take the sacrament so I'll look for a church that does that. But for now I'm stuck in limbo. I feel the need to fellowship so for now I'll attend Catholic mass as it's near to where I live. But I think it's only a temporary fix.

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've been praying for some time and not got an answer yet. I am baptized and like to take the sacrament so I'll look for a church that does that. But for now I'm stuck in limbo. I feel the need to fellowship so for now I'll attend Catholic mass as it's near to where I live. But I think it's only a temporary fix.
It's all good... if your heart is open... God will lead you to where He wants you.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clarification on this: a disciple of Christ becomes one with Him and a joint-heir (see John 17 and Romans 8:17). This is ultimate discipleship (following). They do NOT replace God or surpass Him (as Lucifer aimed to do).

Thanks, I analyzed the bible teachings regarding Lucifer thinking he will be above the stars of heaven. And in revelation these stars mean the seven angles of the churches. And it only states that Lucifer will sit in the north of the congregation on the sides. It didn't say anything about him taking God's place. It states that he believes he will ascend above that of an angel. Being God is mentioned here:

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

What concerns me about the Mormon faith is this statement of Jesus himself saying that we are to be like the angels of Heaven:

Matthew 22:30

King James Version

30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Edit: let me just say, I'm suspicious of the Mormon teachings about them receiving equal with Jesus and having this temple area also regarding the above and previously mentioned scriptures.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Don't be in a rush to be with any group. Right now, today, stand close to God reading your Bible and talking/praying regularly with Him. If you really trust in God, He will not lead you wrong!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right now the only group I want to be in is in the nice group where nobody is mean.
That could be in the physical realms or in the churches of men a very difficult or even impossible place to find.

Men are beasts!

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly, that's why I'm more of an animal person than a people person. Sometimes I'm disgusted to call myself a human being. After all, they're among one of the worst if not thee worst of the creatures.

Reactions: amadeus

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The normal charge is that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday contrary to the 3rd Commandment (or 4th depending on how you number them). That's not quite the same as this quote from Pope John Paul II shows

We move from the "Sabbath" to the "first day after the Sabbath", from the seventh day to the first day: the dies Domini becomes the dies Christi! (Apostolic Letter, Dies Domini, Pope John Paul II, 1998 – para 18).

And from the Catechism of The Catholic Church para 2175
Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath
Post #26 is typical of 'Jesuit equivocation' - flood a post with skull-duggery and mummery instead of a thoughtful scripture based argument. (ps, your PPJII quote seems to prove that the 'dies Domini' is the Sabbath, the 7th day, in parallelism, while the 'dies Christi'; is the first day of the week.)

Psa_18:26 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SDA isn’t a cult. They have some unusual beliefs, but aren’t a cult according to Dr. Walter Martin in his book, the kingdom of the cults.
The Seventh Day Adventists are an anomaly, with a mixture of true and false doctrines. They believe Jesus is Michael the archangel, just like the JWs. But then they turn around and proclaim the full deity of Christ (at least some do). But you cannot have it both ways.

"Seventh-day Adventists believe that "Michael" is but one of the many titles applied to the Son of God, the second person of the Godhead. According to Adventists, such a view does not in any way conflict with the belief in his full deity and eternal preexistence, nor does it in the least disparage his person and work."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SDAs (at least those I have come across on forums) are obsessively anti-Jesuits. They seem to blame Jesuits for everything they think is wrong in the world.
Well you can't really blame them. The Jesuits were up to all kinds of shenanigans, and probably still are. And then you have pope Francis who is supposedly a Jesuit but is in fact a Communist and a Globalist.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
SDA's teach a perverted gospel of "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works." Here is an example below from a statement that a SDA once made to me during a discussion I had with him:

The counterfeit Gospel is out there. What is the other Gospel? It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's Law (10 commandments) from the Cross. It is a Gospel that tries to separate God's 10 commandments from the plan of salvation. God’s Law has always been part of the true Gospel of Christ. The counterfeit Gospel does not have it. God's forever Law (the 10 commandments) is the foundation of both the Old and the New Covenant and the very foundation and basis of the true Gospel of Christ.
I would say this, The law of Christ has a far higher bar than the law of Moses. eg, you have heard said an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth but I say unto you, do not resist an evil man......and, whoever looks upon a woman with lust has committed adultery in his heart already.

Soooo, why the huge resistance to God's law if the Law of Christ demands much more.....or is it that the law of love is only given lip service to without it ever reaching the heart.....because if it reaches the heart there can be no objection to Gods Law.....or what is it about God's Law that you don't like????

Secondly, for all the talk of blaming others that they preach being saved by the Law.....I don't know anybody that preaches that all though I know plenty who charge others with preaching that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Seventh Day Adventists are an anomaly, with a mixture of true and false doctrines. They believe Jesus is Michael the archangel, just like the JWs. But then they turn around and proclaim the full deity of Christ (at least some do). But you cannot have it both ways.

"Seventh-day Adventists believe that "Michael" is but one of the many titles applied to the Son of God, the second person of the Godhead. According to Adventists, such a view does not in any way conflict with the belief in his full deity and eternal preexistence, nor does it in the least disparage his person and work."

If memory serves, their belief isn’t that Jesus was created as the angel Michael, but that Jesus took the form of an angel in the OT just as Jesus took the form of a man in the new.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If memory serves, their belief isn’t that Jesus was created as the angel Michael, but that Jesus took the form of an angel in the OT just as Jesus took the form of a man in the new.
The problem with this is that an archangel cannot be God, and God cannot be an archangel. "The Angel of the LORD" is a very precise title for the pre-incarnate Word, who appeared as God to men (as it becomes very clear in Exodus 3) and demanded worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.