JW's, SDA's, Unitarians and Mormons

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with this is that an archangel cannot be God, and God cannot be an archangel. "The Angel of the LORD" is a very precise title for the pre-incarnate Word, who appeared as God to men (as it becomes very clear in Exodus 3) and demanded worship.
You miss the point. God the logos manifest as an angel first, then as a man.

An angel didn’t become God in their view, God manifest as two lower beings: angel and man,

This view is incorrect , but does not make them a cult.

I agree with Walter Martin, cult authority, on SDA.

Does the SDA sufficiently teach doctrines whereby one can be saved?

Yes, IMO.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been praying for some time and not got an answer yet. I am baptized and like to take the sacrament so I'll look for a church that does that. But for now I'm stuck in limbo. I feel the need to fellowship so for now I'll attend Catholic mass as it's near to where I live. But I think it's only a temporary fix.
I started my life as Catholic, educated in Catholic schools, and after receiving Christ and being born again at age 23 after having not been to church since leaving high school, I went back to the Catholic Church to attend mass. I told the priest there of my recent experience and he didn't want to know. He turned pale, his mouth curled up like he'd sucked a lemon, and turned away. I returned the following week wondering if maybe I had made a mistake, but no. The sense I felt the second time was that the congregation itself was dead, and the step by step ritual now no relation whatsoever to my recent discovery of a living loving caring Savior.
I then attended a Presbyterian church with a friend who's father was the minister. Mainly elderly people, very friendly, but somewhat quiet. After a few weeks my friend took me to an AOG church and I stayed with them for 10 years. I did grow disillusioned with them however doctrinal wise, and their overt focus on money and seed planting in financing etc etc put me off church altogether and I fell away. This was a couple of towns and several different congregations later.
When I came back to Jesus in '97, I pleaded with him to start again with me as if I had never learned anything from the previous 20 odd years, except of course for the fact I was forgiven, God loved me, and the gospel in Jesus was my only hope. I wanted to start afresh. No preconceived ideas, no errors affecting my decisions in the future, and no prejudices or biases clouding my judgement. I gave myself completely into His care and allowed Him to lead me. I had no idea where such a prayer would take me. A scripture came to mind... Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...
The kingdom I was wanting to affirm, and He certainly made known to me that I was a citizen of that kingdom. I was forgiven...a new creature in Christ...a child of God and a member of His kingdom. It was the righteousness part that puzzled me. I asked Him... What is your righteousness? He led me through a Bible study. It took 6 months, studying every day and all day...I was unemployed at the time... And then through a series of events and chance meetings, I renewed up studying with a group of seventh day Adventists. I previously knew nothing about them. It took me a further 2 or three years to finally decided to become a member... But had been a seventh day Adventist in my heart, doctrinally wise, from the beginning. Have no regrets. What has been a constant surprise and something I had never experienced before as a member of any church, was the animosity against Adventists and their teachings from the wider Christian community. Surprise mainly because of
1. the lack of interest in genuinely searching out what and why we believe what we do and
2. The mischaracterisation and ill founded judgements made against SDA doctrines.

Such seems to come with the territory. You've probably seen that, and this thread is indicative of that very thing. But I'm not complaining... It's just a fact of life.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s LDS not SDA, who believe they can be exalted to godhood on their very own planet.
That's what I thought too, but someone here denied it.
Again, actual "Mormon" here.

The "own planet thing" isn't accurate. The actual belief is that disciples of Christ become one with Him, John 17 & Romans 8 being great chapters on this.

Reactions: amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read stuff related to that often. So where does this idea come from, do you know?
Like in the case for anti-SDA stuff, anti-Mormon stuff has these ideas that have just been in that group for 50+ years based off complete misconceptions and just get handed down over the years.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The problem with this is that an archangel cannot be God, and God cannot be an archangel. "The Angel of the LORD" is a very precise title for the pre-incarnate Word, who appeared as God to men (as it becomes very clear in Exodus 3) and demanded worship.
That is on the assumption that the archangel is a created angel. We as Adventists do not find in scripture any evidence that Michael, the archangel, is a created being. We do not reduce the deity or divinity of Christ by affirming His identity as chief of the angels. It is a natural title, Lord of hosts, quite befitting the Son of God, who is 'like God'.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is on the assumption that the archangel is a created angel. We as Adventists do not find in scripture any evidence that Michael, the archangel, is a created being. We do not reduce the deity or divinity of Christ by affirming His identity as chief of the angels. It is a natural title, Lord of hosts, quite befitting the Son of God, who is 'like God'.
@Backlit , it is accurate to say that SDA believe that Christ took on the alias of Micheal before being born of Mary?
(Please fill me in accurately here )

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That said, Adventists are firm absolute believers in the divinity and deity of Jesus. Without apology, without understating. Nor do we nor are we willing to compromise that stand in any way, and our teaching regarding Michael doesn't do that.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read stuff related to that often. So where does this idea come from, do you know?
I was mormon and I actually heard it in church, so if it isn't accurate then I was being taught false doctrine.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Like in the case for anti-SDA stuff, anti-Mormon stuff has these ideas that have just been in that group for 50+ years based off complete misconceptions and just get handed down over the years.
Misconceptions by Mormons themselves, or their enemies? What does the LDS church teach then regarding this inheriting or receiving ones own planet, what is the truth of that concept?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was mormon and I actually heard it in church, so if it isn't accurate then I was being taught false doctrine.
Mmmm. I was told something similar by my wife's cousin who is Mormon. I just assumed it was a genuine belief among Mormons. Now I'm confused that Jane is saying it's wrong. I don't know who's wrong... Us or the Mormons themselves?

Reactions: dev553344
Status
Not open for further replies.