Keep The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
They were in transition. They didn't have the New Covenant. We do. How many "sinners" have you executed? Are you really saying you obey the Law of Moses?

Luke 6
1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.

Why didn't Jesus stone them as Moses COMMANDED? Did Jesus sin??? Answer: He was giving us the New Covenant. NO SABBATH commands!

Are you Christian? There are ZERO Sabbath commands in the NT. Do you obey Moses? I think it would be in the news if you obey Moses by executing gays, those who work on weekends and adulterers. Stick with the NT since you don't obey the Law of Moses.
You just confirmed in Luke 6 that they recognized the Sabbath day. Now in this verse this is talking about a period of time that is between Passover and The Feasts of Weeks known as (Pentecost). They are both feasts times of Yahweh. Read about it in Leviticus 23. The period is called counting the Omer. Which was a period of 7 Sabbaths or in other words 7 weeks. This is the Second week of that 7 Week period between Passover and THE FEAST OF WEEKS!!! Why is it called WEEEKS? Because there are 7 weeks which are 49 days in total then on Day 50 was the Day of the Feast of Weeks which has been wrongly translated at Pentecost. Why is it called Pentecost in Greek because Pente is to do with the number 50. What does that stand for? The exact same as the time period of the Feast of Weeks and counting the Omer in Lev 23. Seven times seven which is 49 then on Day 50 Pente is the Feast Day of Weeks. Here let me help you

Lev. 23:15-16 NKJ
15 `And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed.
16 `Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD.

You have just revealed your total misunderstanding of the scriptures. One thing that needs to be understood is that our Bibles need to read from the perspective of the Hebrew culture and language to get a far more accurate understanding of what the NT is saying. Also the Torah allows for people to grab a handful of wheat or other grains and eat the on the Sabbath day it was not considered as work. So NO JESUS AND HIS DISCIPLES DID NOT SIN!!!!

NKJ Deuteronomy 23:25 "When you come into your neighbor's standing grain, you may pluck the heads with your hand, but you shall not use a sickle on your neighbor's standing grain.

So one can plainly see Yeshua did not sin on The Sabbath Day. Again Jack read your Bible in context. But I don't blame you it is just a result of the institutional church doctrine taking away the Jewishness of the Bible as that is what the early church fathers and Constantine did. I was the same once and I repented and started following Yahweh's ways. The religious spirit is strong and doesn't like the status quo messed with.

You will either keep twisting the word to make it fit or you surrender and you fit what the word says.

Blessings and Shalom

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know of even one church that obeys Moses. Lots of people preach their version of the Sabbath but carefully avoid the parts they don't like! I guess Galatians isn't in their Bibles.

Galatians 5
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Galatians 3

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."
It's not Moses--it was instituted at Creation.
Also, you knock the Law, but you keep nine of the 10 commandments, don't you?

The way it works is this--no matter what laws we keep, by ourselves, we are lost. We are saved by the Blood of Christ. We are justified through Him. And with that comes sanctification--we become new creatures. Now, we want to live for Him. Jesus magnified the Law, and made it honorable. Look at what He said about Thou Shalt Not Kill

Matthew 5:21-28 NKJV​

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny. “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. “Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

This is not getting rid of the Law. It is magnifying it.

Reactions: Ancient

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“…The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:” (Mark 2:27)

:Thumbsup:
Halleuyah I love the Sabbath, I cease and stop. Spending the day in His word and other believers, worshipping and praising Him, at the time He appointed to do so just like all His Feasts. They are appointed times to meet with our God. Thank you Yahweh for giving us the Sabbath.

Blessings and Shalom

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Commandment number 4 of the Ten Commandments is not somehow revoked. There is disagreement on what day the Sabbath is now, but we are still commanded to remember the Sabbath Day ~ which is now the Lord's Day (Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath; Matthew 12:1–8, Mark 2:23–28 and Luke 6:1–5), the day of His resurrection, the first day of the week ~ and to keep it holy (set apart from the rest of the week).

The early church shows us this practice is ongoing; we read from Luke:

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them (preached), intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech (sermon) until midnight..." (Acts 20:7)

...and the writer of Hebrews reiterates this post-resurrection command:

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25).

Grace and peace to all!
Nope the Lord's day or put it another way the Day of the Lord is specifically used as the Day the Messiah returns. Again this reveals a misunderstanding of Hebrew language and culture. We read these things in the prophets like Zechariah. Like you have confirmed in the Book of Hebrews 10:24-25 "as you see the day drawing near" that has nothing to do with Sunday or Sunday worship is has to do with the Day of the return of Yeshua our Messiah. The Lord's Day is His return which coincides with a Feasts Day of Yahweh laid out in Leviticus 23. Which many believe as do I is the Feast of Trumpets. When one understands what the Feast of Trumpets is then one will understand more clearly what Yeshua teaches in Matt 24. Also what Paul teaches in 1 Thess chapters 4 and 5. The common theme is the blasting of trumpets or in Hebrew Shofars on that day.

Blessing and Shalom

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The way it works is this--no matter what laws we keep, by ourselves, we are lost. We are saved by the Blood of Christ. We are justified through Him. And with that comes sanctification--we become new creatures. Now, we want to live for Him. Jesus magnified the Law, and made it honorable. Look at what He said about Thou Shalt Not Kill

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny. “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. “Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Well said. This was my response to an earlier post, that the LORD Jesus Christ came to strengthen the law, NOT to abolish it.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The common Christian view is that the 7th day has been replaced by the 1st day yet there is no commandment of that nature even though attempts are made to justify this replacement. There is in Christian circles an acknowledgement that the Sabbath is to be kept but they have changed the pertinent details to suit their agenda. I doubt whether many have actually read the Commandment in it's entirety recorded in Exodus 20:8-11 (incidentally, the longest of the Commandments). It gives details of which day in the weekly cycle and why and who.

There is no justified reason for the replacement of this day in time just as there is no justified reason to alter the information given why God created this day.

One of the reasons given to justify a change is the gathering of the disciples on the first day of the week. This reason is transparently thin as gathering on any day, even regularly, does not constitute a valid reason to alter the commandment. Another is that Jesus is our rest but this is also thin because this view attempts to nullify Gods commandment by conflating our rest in Jesus with the reason God created the day and gave the Commandment in the first place, ie as a memorial of creation and the special entering of his presence enshrined in specific time.

Again, keep in mind the 7th day was specifically CREATED for a specific REASON.There was no 8th day; the cycle reverted to day number 1......to begin again. (by the way, the highlighting is to draw your attention, not to yell at you :) )

....another observation and question; the physical creation of Earth and its inhabitants was completed on the 6th day. We are told God rested afterwards but did he need to? He could have created the week by reverting to day number 1 and so create the weekly cycle. Have you wondered about that? Why create the extra day? ......and why declare it blessed and hallowed?
Well, I respect your opinion, QuietThinker. There are some things that you say here that I agree with... and other things not so much.

Most basically, I don't think you quite understand what I am saying, which is that there is no longer, actually, a Sabbath Day as it were, I'm not sure whether you're saying this or saying that the Sabbath is still the seventh day of the week. But yes, the seventh day was the Sabbath as commanded to the Israelites in the fourth commandment. For us today (and since the death and resurrection) there is the Lord's Day ~ indisputably the first day of the week as seen in John 20:19, Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, and Revelation 1:10 ~ on which we rightly keep the sabbath principle, and actively engage in the Sabbath’s purpose ~ this is Hebrews 10:25 ~ in which we obtain our sabbath rest, and we look forward to the ultimate, eternal Rest that we are promised.

The same type of connection is properly made of many Old Testament things, like (this may ruffle your feathers; I hope not) baptism, in which we rightly keep the consecration principle of circumcision as the sign and seal of the Covenant ~ "In [Christ] also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through faith in the powerful working of God, Who raised Him from the dead" (Colossians 2:11-12)... and tithing, which was commanded a tenth in the Old Testament but is now a principle for us in that "(E)ach one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7).

So, I would say:

* No one has "altered the information given as to why God created the Sabbath" (well, maybe some have, but not... successfully. :) Yes, God had a very good reason for making the seventh day a day of rest (He has a very good reason for everything He has done, is doing, and will do), at the very least it was the day after He had finished/completed His work of Creation. This idea of completion is very, very important thing to keep in mind. As you well know, I'm sure, the last thing Jesus said on the cross ~ in His work to redeem creation ~ was, "It is finished!" (John 19:30). We can still celebrate God's work of creation, for sure, but really even more so, now, we celebrate His work of redemption of that creation, which is consummated in His resurrection, and we rest in that... and look forward to entering into His promised rest.

* There are still seven days in the week... that has not changed (as far as I know... :) No one "created an extra day." :)

Grace and peace to you, QuietThinker.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a lot of controversy about whether the Sabbath is still to be observed in modern times. Most christians fall on the pretext of Colossians 2:16-18 and Romans 14:5 thus to assume the Sabbath is no longer needed.

I believe observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants. It brings us closer to the Lord and to our family's. It gives us an eternal perspective and spiritual strength. The Sabbath also allows us to rest from our physical labors, to replenish our focus on the week ahead.

I believe the Sabbath is not a ceremonial law but moral law set in concrete alongside thow shall not murder, steal or commit adultery,

Be careful of the Devil, and choose wise your interpretation!
Observing the Sabbath is important.

Reactions: Ancient

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope the Lord's day or put it another way the Day of the Lord...
No, those are two very different things. The good work that God has begun in us He will bring to completion at the Day of Christ, as Paul says in Philippians 1:6), the Day of Christ being when He returns, so I'm agreeing with you there. But John spoke/wrote of the Lord's day in Revelation 1:10 ~ "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day..." ~ two millennia ago, and it refers to the day Christ rose, the first day of the week, Sunday (John 20:19; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

Grace and peace to you, Ancient.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, those are two very different things. The good work that God has begun in us He will bring to completion at the Day of Christ, as Paul says in Philippians 1:6), the Day of Christ being when He returns, so I'm agreeing with you there. But John spoke/wrote of the Lord's day in Revelation 1:10 ~ "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day..." ~ two millennia ago, and it refers to the day Christ rose, the first day of the week, Sunday (John 20:19; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

Grace and peace to you, Ancient.
I think it is an unjustified assumption to align the 'Lord's Day' with the first day of the week.
Yes, he rose from the dead on the first day while resting on the seventh :)

John was Jewish, his culture was Jewish, his language was Jewish......his expression 'The Lord's Day' was Jewish.......and any Jew will tell you that the expression (Lord's Day) is intended to be understood as the 7th day, not the 1st day. :)

The idea that the Lord's Day is the first day of the week is a 'Christian' overlay (assumption) and finds no support in scripture.....either in the NT or the OT. It is an argument by the Roman Church and adopted by Protestants to nullify the specificity of the Sabbath Commandment.

If I might use a parallel; it is like arguing that killing a man is not the same as murdering a man .....for the purpose of justifying war. It doesn't wash.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is an unjustified assumption to align the 'Lord's Day' with the first day of the week.
Understood. We disagree.

Yes, he rose from the dead on the first day while resting on the seventh :)

John was Jewish, his culture was Jewish, his language was Jewish......his expression 'The Lord's Day' was Jewish.......and any Jew will tell you that the expression (Lord's Day) is intended to be understood as the 7th day, not the 1st day. :)

The idea that the Lord's Day is the first day of the week is a 'Christian' overlay (assumption) and finds no support in scripture.....either in the NT or the OT
Again, disagree.

a.) Jesus was not observing the Sabbath the day before His resurrection. :)

b.) Yes, John was Jewish, but John, unlike most Jews of his day, was a believer in Christ, and therefore he was, like all we who believe today, in Christ. As such, I feel sure he would have agreed with what Paul said late in Romans 2 about just who true Jews are, and in Romans 9-11 about just who makes up God's Israel. Even so, God, the ultimate author of the Bible (all Scripture is God-breathed), is really the One Who said those things.

c.) In Acts 20:7, Luke is crystal clear that it was the practice of the early church to gather together on the first day of the week to break bread together. And in Revelation 1:10, John very clearly refers to the first day of the week, as in Acts 20:7 and 1 Corinthians 16:2, as the Lord's Day. There is, however, absolutely no evidence anywhere, much less in Scripture, that the early apostolic church continued Jesus's custom of going to the synagogue and observing the Sabbath. But they were not Law-breakers... :)

It is an argument by the Roman Church and adopted by Protestants to nullify the specificity of the Sabbath Commandment.
Not true at all. None of the Ten Commandments are nullified. There may be some out there who think that, but by and large no. I am a bit curious to hear why you think that... because of Constantine and the Council of Nicea in the fourth century? Even so, no.

If I might use a parallel; it is like arguing that killing a man is not the same as murdering a man .....for the purpose of justifying war. It doesn't wash.
This is an aside, but this is not a good parallel at all, respectfully. Just on the face of it, the state is given the power of the sword. That certainly does not mean that power is always used well or even justly by the state. And it does not mean that one killing another in war is never murder; it is possible for one to commit murder when killing another person in a state-sanctioned war. But generally speaking, such is not the case. There is a difference between killing, in the case of a person killing under the purview of the state in a war, and murder.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just confirmed in Luke 6 that they recognized the Sabbath day. Now in this verse this is talking about a period of time that is between Passover and The Feasts of Weeks known as (Pentecost). They are both feasts times of Yahweh. Read about it in Leviticus 23. The period is called counting the Omer. Which was a period of 7 Sabbaths or in other words 7 weeks. This is the Second week of that 7 Week period between Passover and THE FEAST OF WEEKS!!! Why is it called WEEEKS? Because there are 7 weeks which are 49 days in total then on Day 50 was the Day of the Feast of Weeks which has been wrongly translated at Pentecost. Why is it called Pentecost in Greek because Pente is to do with the number 50. What does that stand for? The exact same as the time period of the Feast of Weeks and counting the Omer in Lev 23. Seven times seven which is 49 then on Day 50 Pente is the Feast Day of Weeks. Here let me help you

Lev. 23:15-16 NKJ
15 `And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed.
16 `Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD.

You have just revealed your total misunderstanding of the scriptures. One thing that needs to be understood is that our Bibles need to read from the perspective of the Hebrew culture and language to get a far more accurate understanding of what the NT is saying. Also the Torah allows for people to grab a handful of wheat or other grains and eat the on the Sabbath day it was not considered as work. So NO JESUS AND HIS DISCIPLES DID NOT SIN!!!!

NKJ Deuteronomy 23:25 "When you come into your neighbor's standing grain, you may pluck the heads with your hand, but you shall not use a sickle on your neighbor's standing grain.

So one can plainly see Yeshua did not sin on The Sabbath Day. Again Jack read your Bible in context. But I don't blame you it is just a result of the institutional church doctrine taking away the Jewishness of the Bible as that is what the early church fathers and Constantine did. I was the same once and I repented and started following Yahweh's ways. The religious spirit is strong and doesn't like the status quo messed with.

You will either keep twisting the word to make it fit or you surrender and you fit what the word says.

Blessings and Shalom
And if you read Paul's Scriptures you will find:

Galatians 3
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't think we have enough body bags to obey the Law of Moses.

Exodus 31
Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very thin thinking.
Exodus 31
Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Jesus was with His disciples working on the Sabbath. Did Jesus sin? Not my Jesus!

Last edited: