Kept by the Power of God through Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 1:3-5 KJV
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

We are kept by God. God has given us birth, rebirth, because He is SO merciful! He has begotten us again unto an expectation for our future that is so, what, He calls it ALIVE! A living hope! No some wistful wishful thinking, like when American writers say, "Tommy hoped they would take him to the zoo".

This hope, Biblical hope, is the end result of our faith. We trust that Jesus is real, that His Words are true. Jesus promised us resurrection. We believe His promise. We expect to be raised from the dead. We have the hope of the resurrection.

God has begotten us again unto a hope that is so sure and so powerful that God calls it alive. We have the hope through Jesus' Own resurrection. He rose, and we shall be raised.

This hope that Peter centers on is our inheritance. God has reserved an inheritance for you. He's already staked out your allotment. It's reserved for you, He's not giving it to someone else. What does that tell you?

It cannot be corrupted, it won't go away, there is no wrong in it. God reserved it for you. How can He be SO SURE that you'll be there to inherit?

It doesn't go away, and it's reserved for you.

4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

How can God be so sure? Because He's doing all the heavy lifting. He's the One Who is making it happen.

We are kept by His power through faith.

And here it comes.

"Yeah! Through faith! Stop faithing, and you stop being kept!"

But watch.

Who are kept by the power of God through faith

The keeping is by power, the power is God's and the method of operation is faith.

God keeps us, by His power, through faith.

Don't fall prey to those who would reverse the meaning, shift the emphasis, stand the verse on it's head.

Those who would have you read it more something like this,

'Who are kept in the power of God by faith' (NOT)

or something similar.

Continue reading:

1 Peter 1:6-9 KJV
6) Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8) Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9) Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

That the trial of your faith, literally, the proving of your faith. Same sort of thing is said in Romans,

Romans 5:1-5 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Do you have faith? This is the power of God within you. He's keeping you by His power.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
upload_2021-4-12_14-22-46.png

There's a fun word, phrouroumenous. "Being garrisoned", it's translated here. "Kept", in the King James.

Present Passive. It's being done to you now. You aren't keeping yourself. You are being kept. By almighty God.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

We are kept by God. God has given us birth, rebirth, because He is SO merciful! He has begotten us again unto an expectation for our future that is so, what, He calls it ALIVE! A living hope! No some wistful wishful thinking, like when American writers say, "Tommy hoped they would take him to the zoo".

This hope, Biblical hope, is the end result of our faith. We trust that Jesus is real, that His Words are true. Jesus promised us resurrection. We believe His promise. We expect to be raised from the dead. We have the hope of the resurrection.

God has begotten us again unto a hope that is so sure and so powerful that God calls it alive. We have the hope through Jesus' Own resurrection. He rose, and we shall be raised.

This hope that Peter centers on is our inheritance. God has reserved an inheritance for you. He's already staked out your allotment. It's reserved for you, He's not giving it to someone else. What does that tell you?

It cannot be corrupted, it won't go away, there is no wrong in it. God reserved it for you. How can He be SO SURE that you'll be there to inherit?

How can God be so sure? Because He's doing all the heavy lifting. He's the One Who is making it happen.

And here it comes.

But watch.

The keeping is by power, the power is God's and the method of operation is faith.

Don't fall prey to those who would reverse the meaning, shift the emphasis, stand the verse on it's head.

or something similar.

Continue reading:

6) Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8) Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

That the trial of your faith, literally, the proving of your faith. Same sort of thing is said in Romans,

1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Do you have faith? This is the power of God within you. He's keeping you by His power.

Much love!
Good word. Much needed to hear. Keep up the good work @marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 14218

There's a fun word, phrouroumenous. "Being garrisoned", it's translated here. "Kept", in the King James.

Present Passive. It's being done to you now. You aren't keeping yourself. You are being kept. By almighty God.

Much love!
A strong city.

I once had a supervisor last name Garrison, looked at me like I had two heads when I told him the meaning of his name.

Reactions: marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And here it comes.

But watch.

or something similar.

Continue reading:

Much love!
It is breathtaking. Why would anyone pervert such generosity, such Grace?

Like Judas, seeing and hearing and being an intimate associate of Jesus yet choosing to put his own spin on the matter resulted in self destruction.
Yes, self destruction is the end of faithlessness.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is breathtaking. Why would anyone pervert such generosity, such Grace?

Like Judas, seeing and hearing and being an intimate associate of Jesus yet choosing to put his own spin on the matter resulted in self destruction.
Yes, self destruction is the end of faithlessness.
When I was a child . . . well, enough about that. My take-away lesson was, don't look to family for nurture. Just try to get away as fast as I can! It took some years before I felt I was settling into a lifestyle, maybe my mid-30's. I worked hard, I was committed to making a go of things, and began to pull a life together. I, I, I. I hadn't gotten ahold of God's grace, and His intent to be the One deciding the things of my life.

I had gotten pretty used to it. In fact, by the time I was in my 40's, I was so used to being the one who was responsible to make things happen for us, that is, my wife and I. She also had her things in childhood, and we both were clinging to my ability to deal with the world, to manage finances, all of it.

I think it's that habit of feeling responsible. Maybe some people just aren't able to let that go.

Then there is the feeling of accomplishment after succeeding in something. A particularly difficult repair, or paperwork, or negotiation. Important things hang in the balance, and when you arrive at a good solution that dopamine kicks in, endorphins, serotonin, adrenaline, all that chemistry. And in some people, and in some situations, that can get addictive.

You just WANT to be 'the one' who solves the problem, to get your chemical fix. That feeling of accomplishment. The feeling that you are special. The feeling that you are in control.

Someone may not ever really think about it, just planting themself in the driver's seat as mindlessly as someone else reaches for their next cigarette.

I think that some people have a pathological need to feel like they are in control, resulting in how out of control their life was in childhood. Maintaining tight control can feel like the only antidote. "I can't ever let things get out of control like that again!" And it can be difficult to separate this out from our relationship with God.

How can you trust your Heavenly Father when you couldn't trust your earthly father?

Pride is a strong motivator.

How can I admit to myself my utter helplessness? I'm a grown man! Not a baby! But in God's arms I'm just a small child.

It's a good question you ask!

Much love!