1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured King James Only

Discussion in 'Christian Debate Forum' started by Enoch111, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Willie T

Willie T Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Yep, sort of like the Model "A". It was a great car..... when it first came out. Today, it is rightfully considered a museum relic. Yes, it can still transport a person from point "A" to point "B", but in most illogical and unnecessarily complicated manner.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Stan B and Grailhunter like this.
  2. Ezra

Ezra Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    i have avoided nothing ..i dont know if king james was what you claim .. i have a thompson chain reference kjv it only says on the inside page . its scriptures not king james . if anything the kjv will cause you to study harder i did a tour of a Bible museum not once did kj being gay come up

Helen and Enoch111 like this.
  3. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Jaybird is here to simply throw mud at King James in the hopes that Christians will reject the King James Bible because he has made wild accusations about James. It would be a waste of time responding to this nonsense.

Helen likes this.
  4. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Sure I get that.
    However aside of discussing James himself...
    It gives me insight to how an individual thinks and lands on a position.

James was BORN in Scotland...and became the King of England....not a particularly favorable birthplace for the "subjects" of England's King...and noteworthy of how people OF England reacted negatively toward James...based on what facts.

Not much different when the Pharisees Rejected Jesus..."a nobody from Nazareth"...
    "King of the Jews"....uh?

Not much different when Americans Rejected Obama..."a son of a foreigner"...who wanted to effect "change" in America, according to how his father attempted to effect "change" in his homeland of Kenya.

bbyrd009 likes this.
  5. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I wouldn't say so much as common...but rather, moreso, brought to the forefront by men writing about "the royals".

People of ALL positions...kings, paupers, and everything in between....have their share of gentle and kind TO harsh and overbearing.

The higher the position, the more they are written about.

There is NO Power, except that which is Given of God. Even satan's power is that which is Given him of God.

Really doesn't matter, what a man claims...God told me to do it....my spouse told me to do it...my teacher, my daddy, my neighbor...whatever....
    The fact is...a person is still subject to the consequences of their behavior...according to the Civil Law that has jurisdictional authority over that person.

Fact is MOST people are GREEDY...
    That is a part of a HUMANS nature...some overcome the tendency to be GREEDY and HOARDING....and others do not.

Lots of people are ARROGANT...others are CONFIDANT...it's a fine line.

Glory to God,
    Taken

6. Taken

Taken Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Enoch111 ~

I own several copies of different versions of the Bible.
    Personally the 1611 KJV is one of my favorite Versions.
    And the modern Versions without doubt are my least favorite, for multiple reasons, particularly, the choice of words that change the meaning....as it is common practice in modern times to change the meaning of words to be the complete opposite of original intent.

I trust God is Faithful and has lead me to His Word as He sees fit to benefit me.

Glory to God,
    Taken

amadeus and Enoch111 like this.
  7. DoveSpirit05

DoveSpirit05 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    KJV only for me, why would I wanna read other bibles with whole paragraphs missing let alone verses, and the RSV pretty much condones homosexuality!!

Helen, Taken and Enoch111 like this.
  8. Berserk

Berserk Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    There are 10 million variant readings in New Testament Greek manuscripts.
    The KJV is based on the latest and most corrupt of these manuscripts.
    Text Criticism is the science of retrieving a text as close as possible to the original. It does this first by grouping the manuscripts into families by date, locale, and patterns of known copy errors and then by discovering when, how, and why errors crept into the Greek text. It also compares the text with quotations of the same passage by church fathers who wrote before the manuscript in question. The KJV comes out the worst of all when subjected to such objective analysis. It always amazes me that the Christians who champion the highest view of biblical inspiration choose to use by far the most corrupt text. Many examples of this corruption could be provided. Most KJV Only people lack the intellectual integrity to read a scholarly book on Text Criticism, preferring instead to grieve the Spirit by dismissing all such scholars as ungodly and do so to slothfully avoid the hard work of honest and open inquiry.

Willie T likes this.
  9. Copperhead

Copperhead Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I for one do not reject the KJV, but it is ridiculous to view the KJV as the only inspired translation. Not even the translators thought that it was perfect and said so in the preface to the original 1611. And the KJV underwent revisions since the original 1611 came out.

I really like the KJV. I grew up on it. But I also know that it does have some errors, like any other translation. No translation can perfectly convey the literal meaning of the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. At least the KJV has been around long enough so that those errors are well known. As far as prose, it is a beautiful translation.

I like it. I use it. But I use many translations, including the 1599 Geneva that preceded the KJV. And I will concede that there are some passages that are better translated in the KJV than in others. But the reverse can be said also.

If one is going to be hyper literal in terms of the Scripture, then learn Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Problem solved.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    bbyrd009 and amadeus like this.
  10. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    And what in the world has this got to do with the OP.
    Did you even read IT ALL?

If you did, you would have no silly argument like this...who cares who commissioned it...re read the opening post and stop trying to derail a good and interesting and intelligent thread....
    ...Oh yea, ....right....

11. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

AGREE!!!! Thumb.gif
    A rabbit trail...but then again...that is what the Enemy likes.

amadeus likes this.
  12. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

For crying out loud...grow up and get over yourself. :rolleyes:

You are deliberately derailing , if I was @Enoch111 I'd hit the report button. o_O

Copperhead likes this.
  13. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

Oh whoops...just got to this post...too late for me, I already fell for his childishness ....and responded to him....
    Slapping my head sideways....

14. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Reading some of these responses here, it make a person wonder how many really read ALL of the excellent opening post...and it balance re "KJV only "!! :D

Not many people I would guess,

15. DoveSpirit05

DoveSpirit05 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    by curiosity wat are the errors in the KJV?

16. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

It's a translation, and a very good one in my humble opinion; but as such not the original.

Helen likes this.
  17. Copperhead

Copperhead Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Wow, that would be a very lengthy prose. If you really are interested, there is a lot of good material on the subject from some very good Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek scholars. Dr. John Ankerberg had a 8 or 9 show series revolving around KJV vs the modern translations with the editors of the NASB, NKJV, NIV, and adherents of the KJV only crowd. Very good discussion and many of the problems with the KJV were brought out.

One error that is pretty fragrant in 2 Thessalonians 2:3. the "falling away". That is not what the Greek says. Apostasia simply means departure. Without a text from what is being fallen away, departed from, distancing from, etc, to say "falling away" is taking liberties with the text that a translator should not do. This has been addressed by many top Greek Scholars like Dr. Kenneth Wuest, Dr. Andy Woods, Dr. Ed Hinson, et al. in their writings.

Since the actual Greek simply is departure, the context of the passage is laid out in verse one and two, the day of Christ and our gathering to Him, not our departing from Him. So the departure of Verse 3 is something other than a departing from the faith, falling away, etc. All the English translations prior to the KJV used "a departing", "departure", "the departing", etc. When the KJV translators got their hands on the text, they wrongly changed the meaning of the passage to "falling away" which conveys a very different idea than the Greek or the context of the passage does. Why they did that, I can speculate, but speculation doesn't matter. The Latin Vulgate, which the KJV translators had a great fondness for, also used dicessio, which is literally "departure" in the English and not "falling away".

The proper name of "Lucifer" is another and many KJV only folks love to jump on the other translations about this. Isaiah 14:12. Yet, "lucifer" is the Latin for Morning Star. Many of the newer translations actually use Morning Star, which is what the Hebrew says, much to the chagrin of the KJV only crowd. So by using "lucifer" by the KJV (and NKJV), it is implying that Satan (Hebrew..."adversary") has a literal name of Lucifer, which is not true. over 1000 years of the Latin Vulgate had tainted the KJV translators. They had a great fondness for the Vulgate.

Wow. Got me started. I don't want to write a dissertation here. Many scholars of much higher pay grade than me have outlined extensively the errors in the KJV. Go study and show thyself approved.

The KJV is a very good translation. It has stood the test of time. It expresses the main points of the scripture and the Gospel most adequately. One can trust the translation that they have one of the best. But like every translation, it does fall down in a few places. There is no perfect translation. Only the original writings are totally without flaw and direct from the Holy Spirit.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    DoveSpirit05 and Helen like this.
  18. charity

charity Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Hello there,

I agree with all that is written in the OP. Thank you for inc
    Hello @Enoch111,

I agree with all that is written in the OP: and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

In Christ Jesus
    Chris

Helen likes this.
  19. Willie T

Willie T Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    If something has already been translated, it should be unnecessary to have to have someone translate to you what is written on its pages. No one here can claim they have not had to go to someone else to explain parts of the KJV to them. There is something wrong with that kind of situation.

And, now, are we to automatically assume that the person (or book) we had to go to in order to explain the confusion of the KJV to us is somehow "inspired?"

20. Ezra

Ezra Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    just out of curiosity have you read the original in which it is written ? i have serious doubts you have you know greek hebrew latin %100? or do you just have a phd pilled high deep degree
    do you have the original writings? if not speculation is what your using who is these many scholars do they have the original ? a simple yes or no is suffice